Officials look into cow's fatal beating

The Columbia County Sheriff's Office is reviewing an incident in which an Evans man tied a cow to a tree, beat it to death and skinned it for a cookout.

"We're consulting with various officials to determine what, if any, violation has occurred," sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said.

The incident happened at a home on Aspen Laurel Drive in Evans and was reported to authorities about 7:40 p.m. Tuesday by an anonymous caller. The caller told police two men took turns beating the animal multiple times on its head with a hammer until it fell to the ground. The caller said the men began to skin the cow while it still appeared to be alive.

A 48-year-old man said he purchased the cow in Edgefield, S.C., for a cookout he was holding when his brother visited from out of town. The man said he tied the cow to a tree and struck the animal two or three times on the top of its head with a 5-pound hammer, according to the report. He said he started to skin and "quarter" the cow after he thought it was dead.

The agencies involved in the review include the sheriff's office, Georgia Department of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Agriculture and the district attorney's office, Capt. Morris said.

He said the USDA specifies the approved methods of livestock slaughter by various means, which includes chemical, mechanical, gunshot or electrical.

"Crude may not necessarily equate to illegal, so we're doing some research on it," he said.

rehpotsirhc
rehpotsirhc 07/24/09 - 01:51 am
How sick is this, My family

How sick is this, My family hunted all our lives, and never would moy brothers seek to kill any animal in this manner. These men are apparently disturbed individuals.
I believe they need lessons on how to treat all living things and the proper way to kill for food, not by tying it up to a tree and beating it to death.........sick, sick, sick.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 07/24/09 - 05:00 am
Before the invention of the

Before the invention of the "kill stick" which is a type of cartridge loaded gun which drives a spike or rod into an animals skull to kill it, processing houses all over the world paid men to kill large animals with a hammer. I guess these people did it the "old fashioned" way. Can there really be people out there that have no clue where their meat comes from and how it is processed? I'm sure PETA will be all over this, too bad willistontownsc has been banned, he/she could lead their charge...

Ole School
Ole School 07/24/09 - 05:17 am
well at least it was not a

well at least it was not a GUN , Lord knows they would have been all over that , and heaven forbade it would have been a .223 cal. !!! I think we should ban 5 pound hammers ! YEAH THATS IT !

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 07/24/09 - 05:40 am
Naw Ole school, Obama is

Naw Ole school, Obama is going to allow the sale of 5# hammer heads with an indelible serial number....they're going to make the handles $500.00 each and require national registration of each hammer and take a DNA sample from the owner, a DNA sample from the handle and a metallurgical analysis of the hammer head. All hammer owners will have to apply for and recieve a permit to carry and this will include an FBI background check and that the owner be implanted with a National ID chip. The numbers 666 will be tattooed on the palm of the hand or the forehead of the registered lawful owner. All hammer handles will be made of cork.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/24/09 - 06:01 am
I'm going to say this early

I'm going to say this early on because I'm sure there will be hundreds of outraged posters today commenting on the article. There was nothing wrong with the way they killed the animal except they possibly didn't hit it in the head hard enough with the first blow. Although, the animal was probably stunned badly and didn't feel the subsequent blows. Slaughtering animals is not a pretty sight. Where the men were wrong is doing that in a neighborhood in the daytime where kids could see it. Poor judgment, but certainly not illegal. If you really want to witness brutal killings of cows go to kosher slaughter houses where over 2 million cows are killed a year. The animal's throat has to be cut and bled out while it is still conscious.

HotFoot
HotFoot 07/24/09 - 06:21 am
May you all meet the same

May you all meet the same fate that you so cavalierly condone. Yeah, I know where "meat" (a euphemism) comes from....which is why I don't eat it. I don't blame anybody else for eating it, but what these men did amounts to torture. What...good citizens of Georgia without guns to do the act humanely? I doubt it.

NANF
NANF 07/24/09 - 06:26 am
Well sheriff, what's to

Well sheriff, what's to investigate? That's animal cruelty . Plain and simple. Such a shame that he two men involved can not get the same treatment. Wonder how they treat their families. Do they abuse their children and wife? Their grandma maybe? What's the history on the two men? They (tho't ? ) the cow was dead? Guess they didn't really care. Just loved the the idea of beating something to a pulp. God help their neighbors. Bring in your kids and dogs folks.

colcamp1
colcamp1 07/24/09 - 06:39 am
I am deeply hurt. HILLCLOWN

I am deeply hurt. HILLCLOWN did not invite me to his barbecue.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/24/09 - 06:42 am
The same exact thing goes on

The same exact thing goes on in slaughter houses every day. There is no way every animal is killed immediately with the first bolt to the head, yet the slaughter house moves it along for processing. At least these men attempted to make sure it was dead by hitting it again. Nothing wrong with what they did except doing all this in a neighborhood...althought that's not illegal.

TechLover
TechLover 07/24/09 - 06:47 am
THey'll have to take my

THey'll have to take my hammer from my cold, dead hands. I posted on the "Breaking" section so sorry if this is repititious. I'm 52 and grew up in the country. Folks used a hammer all the time. I have no idea if a close shot against a cow skull is dangerous but it might be. If these guys were just beating the cow for the H*ll of it, lock 'em up. rehp mentioned hunting. I don't hunt (I do like to fish) but I do know that not every shot is a kill shot. You have to track the animal as it slowly dies. Big freakin' deal. I can't stand hunters who are out for a "trophy" but I do support 100% hunters who do it for food. I love venison. Take a front shoulder, cover it in black ppepper, wrap it in thin sliced bacon (all of it, cover it), wrap it in a couple of layers of heavy duty tin foil. Cook at about 400 for 1 hout then turn down to 200 for 5 or 6. Falls off the bone. You can use a grill, I did it camping once and it was a hit. But I digress. I imagine if any of you toured a meat packing plant, it would turn you off, no matter how humanely they slaughtered the animals.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/24/09 - 06:51 am
I guess Obama will be to

I guess Obama will be to blame for every article in the paper. Be serious why do you have to throw Obama in on every stupid response you fools post here. Get over it he's the President!!!

happythoughts
happythoughts 07/24/09 - 06:52 am
This is awlful. Who raised

This is awlful. Who raised these monsters? If you can do this then you are lacking a vital part of the mind that knows what is right or wrong. Raising children to have feelings of remorse when they have done something wrong is done through disipline. Children should learn to care and feel the hurt that others suffer. They grow up to be good people. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. These men should be punished for putting this poor cow through this. They tied the cow to the tree because they KNEW they would have to beat it to death. Thank you to the person who reported it. And to those who agree with me your parents did a good job and to those who don't it's too late, you're already programed, look in the mirror, you're no different than these men.

omnomnom
omnomnom 07/24/09 - 07:04 am
happy thoughts obviously took

happy thoughts obviously took their medication today. seriously, the only lapse in judgement these men had was to do it out in the open. this is how animals are slaughtered around the world. i saw it in person in Honduras. Its just a fact of life.

CABoatright
CABoatright 07/24/09 - 07:08 am
Thank You HOTFOOT!! Same

Thank You HOTFOOT!! Same here, I don't eat that hormone-laden garbage either but have no problem w/those that do. The problem I DO have is that these idiots actually thought it was alright to torture this poor animal---in the middle of their neighborhood for God sake. Do not fret-- all is not lost! I believe we can redeem them, HotFoot---you tie them to the tree and I'll take gooood care of them...with my hammer. :-)

marandan
marandan 07/24/09 - 07:21 am
All you little woosie tree

All you little woosie tree huggin animal lovers, in touch with the animals feelings are absurd. You'll donate all you can to aid the plight of animals, and yet you support the likes of Sotomayor and the other ilk of her kind who will allow doctors to tear an arm or leg off a baby fetus, or suck its brains out, and thats OK? Look at your double standard. They were preparing this animal to eat, not to torture it. How quick it died is not a matter, of such great importance. Look at the intention, not the procedure.

Martinez
Martinez 07/24/09 - 07:33 am
Would you like fries with

Would you like fries with your burger?

justus4
justus4 07/24/09 - 07:36 am
There will be no charges

There will be no charges filed. The treatment of this animal sounds horrible and, if true, violates the spirit of any animal cruelty law, however, this guy will be given the benefit of the doubt. And to have to research the law to determine if charges are warranted, demonstrates a significant lack of knowledge.

1941
1941 07/24/09 - 07:46 am
I wish people, would show as

I wish people, would show as much intrest in seniors, an children as they do in animals!!They gave Michle Vick more time than they do a child molester, and now it is about a cow!!! People get real, when you sit down to a steak dinner, the last thing on your mind, is how was it killed! People get a life!!!!

Boston93
Boston93 07/24/09 - 07:55 am
Some things are simply awful

Some things are simply awful and some things are awfully simple. This is simply awful news to spread out to the public.

ctchpln
ctchpln 07/24/09 - 08:02 am
This is barbaric!! These men

This is barbaric!! These men have no conscience about the pain inflicted upon this defenseless animal!

HotFoot
HotFoot 07/24/09 - 08:03 am
Hey, marandan, first

Hey, marandan, first trimester fetuses don't feel pain--living, breathing cows DO. Yeah, I know the cascade of comments that are coming--bring it on! I'm a pro-choice vegetarian animal lover who thinks Michael Vick did not even begin to get the sentence he deserved...and who furthermore thinks that half the dog-owners in my upscale W. Augusta neighborhood are negligent idiots. And yes, I care about children (the ones who are born) and seniors. But I will tell you this: One measure of a society is what happens to the animals entrusted to its care. And by that measure, we are failing big-time.

HotFoot
HotFoot 07/24/09 - 08:04 am
BTW, marandan, "ilk of her

BTW, marandan, "ilk of her kind" is redundant.

TechLover
TechLover 07/24/09 - 08:06 am
"This is barbaric!!" No this

"This is barbaric!!" No this is barbeque.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/24/09 - 08:07 am
I back PETA in many ways such

I back PETA in many ways such as attacking circuses who abuse animals, however, I'm not a vegetarian. I'm a meat eater and a hunter. These men killed the cow in a humane way. An arrow in his stomach while he squirmed for an hour or two would have been out of the question I suppose. Again, the poor decision was to slaughter it in a neighborhood in plain view of everyone. I don't want slaughter houses killing cows in public either.

easy breezy
easy breezy 07/24/09 - 08:07 am
This is very disturbing!

This is very disturbing!

HotFoot
HotFoot 07/24/09 - 08:09 am
As I type this, my Inbox is

As I type this, my Inbox is filled with crossposts and pleas for rescue for dogs who have been abandoned and abused. Maybe some of you who are so flip about this cow's suffering should meditate on this: "If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men." - St. Francis of Assisi

easy breezy
easy breezy 07/24/09 - 08:14 am
Put the man's name out there.

Put the man's name out there.

AAQueen
AAQueen 07/24/09 - 08:23 am
I've really read it all when

I've really read it all when the Presidents name can turn up in posts on dead cows. People need to get a life.

CABoatright
CABoatright 07/24/09 - 08:23 am
"A nation can be judged by

"A nation can be judged by the way it's animals are treated."
M. Ghandi
I too believe Vick didn't get half of what he deserves...he's not done yet-when he dies he should return to earth in the body of one of his own tortured animals.
HOTFOOT-hurry up Bud, get some rope and let's go...I've got my big hammer out for this job!

baddgf
baddgf 07/24/09 - 08:28 am
Yeah, why didn't they print

Yeah, why didn't they print his name? This is so sick. The way some peolpe treat animals is just SICK!