Across the Area

3 men found from list of 'Deadbeat Dads'

Three men on a "Deadbeat Dads" list that the Aiken County Sheriff's Office released this week have been located.

Aiken County sheriff's Sgt. Dave Myers said police acted on a tip and were able to arrest John Allen Odom Sr. on a family court bench warrant.

In the second case, Sgt. Myers said Steven Anthony Simon, turned himself in on Thursday. A third man, James Cochran Jr., was also found, he said.

The "Deadbeat Dads" list issued earlier in the week featured 12 men, each accused of owing more than $50,000 in child support payments

DuPont retiree to run for Aiken council seat

Reggie Ebner announced Thursday that he will run for the Aiken City Council District 4 seat being vacated by Dick Smith.

Mr. Ebner has a degree in mechanical engineering and is retired from DuPont, having also done private consulting work for Roger Milliken & Co.

The primary will be in September, to be followed by a November general election.

McDuffie wreck victim's funeral will be Saturday

A funeral is planned Saturday for David Charles Goetzman Sr., 43, who was killed Tuesday in a traffic accident on Interstate 20 in McDuffie County. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. today at DeLoach Funeral Home, Hephzibah.

Mr. Goetzman died after the truck in which he was riding ran off the road and flipped.

avidreader
avidreader 07/24/09 - 05:25 am
Concerning the dead beat

Concerning the dead beat dads; I would live in a cardboard box under a bridge before I would allow my children to suffer. Even if the mother were not my favorite person in the world, she also would not deserve to raise kids without support.

smec29
smec29 07/24/09 - 06:19 am
Alot of men and women feel

Alot of men and women feel the same way avidreader. Sometimes it's the ex thinking they are "sticking it to" the custodial parent. Regardless of the circumstances of the break-up, support of your children should never be used as a weapon. Yes, you are hurting the custodial parent but the kids are suffering far more. It is a shame that people are so selfish. It's an even bigger shame that a judge should have to force a person to take care of their responsibilities.

andywarhol
andywarhol 07/24/09 - 07:50 am
Yeah, well it's hard to know

Yeah, well it's hard to know that some men are paying $500-1000/month for only one child, while the mother is using it to spend on herself and not setting one dime aside for their future. I receive $385 from my ex and it is more than enough. I also put $85/month in savings bonds for my son over the last 6 years.

amazedaugustan
amazedaugustan 07/24/09 - 08:02 am
Congrats to Aiken County!

Congrats to Aiken County! Too bad the system in Richmond County is far below decent. I went to court 5 times before Judge Jolly only to watch her allow the deadbeat walk. They say jail is not the way cause they can't pay in jail, but I say they are not paying anyway so let them suffer like the children do!!

deekster
deekster 07/24/09 - 09:41 am
Why is the OBIT in this

Why is the OBIT in this section?

KingJames
KingJames 07/24/09 - 10:14 am
Father's need to take care of

Father's need to take care of their children. The sad part about it is the government only recognizes when they don't. Non-custodial parents who pay child support can't claim any of their kids on their taxes, even if they are paying $500-1000/month. I guess the IRS looks at child support as some type of bill, but not as a deduction. The custodial parent also doesn't report it as income. This happened to me. I was unaware of the laws and now owe the IRS a crazy amount because I couldn't claim either of my kids on my taxes. Their mom had already done so, but didn't report her child support. Reporting the child support would have definitely made her refund smaller. She double-dipped the system and I am left owing the government. I adjusted my exemptions so I won't owe next year. I would never stop paying child support for my kids because they are my responsibility, but their mom is legally allowed to get over on me and the IRS. That's just not right. I pay child support and keep medical, dental, vision, and life insurance on them, but can't get credit for it on my taxes. She can though. Something is wrong with the system.

rdbike
rdbike 07/24/09 - 11:48 am
I think child support should

I think child support should be paid to the custodial parent, but there should be a guide line as to what the money can be used for and the custodial parent should have to account for every dime spent on demand by the court. I have seen too many cases in which the custodial parent spent the money on tattoos, hairdos, dye jobs, partying and shopping. None spent on the support of the child.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/24/09 - 05:34 pm
These deadbeat parents should

These deadbeat parents should be prohibited from having more kids!!!!!