O Canada! What a health care system!

The U.S. government runs Medicaid and Medicare and they are both bankrupt! So now we want the government to run the rest of the health-care business?

Well, first take a look at the government-run system in Canada.

The doctor shortage in Canada is so great that cities run lotteries for a doctor's appointment, and long wait times to see doctors have caused overcrowded emergency rooms. The Canadian Medical Association reports that patients wait more than nine hours to be seen and more than 24 hours to be admitted in Canadian emergency rooms. According to the Canadian Broadcasting Co. the average wait time in Canada for surgery is more than five months. The wait time for a CT scan is two months in Manitoba, and the wait time for a MRI is five months in Newfoundland.

Dr. Richard F. Davis, a cardiologist at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute, described what's happening to patients waiting for coronary bypass surgery. In one year while waiting for this one operation, 71 patients died,

One-hundred twenty-one became too sick for surgery and 44 left to have the operation in the United States. The Calgary Herald reported that 25,000 Calgary residents were waiting for surgery or scans at just four city hospitals. Alberta Health's Web site lists the following surgery wait times: 15 months for hip replacement, 15 months general surgery, 13 months for knee replacement, three months for cardiac surgery and 13 months for an MRI scan.

According to the Acton Institute in Grand Rapids, Mich., since February 2007 Ontario hospitals have sent 421 heart patients, 75 pregnant women or their babies and 25 women with high risk pregnancies to U.S. hospitals to receive care that they could not provide. And that's just Ontario! There are nine more provinces up there!

John Johannsen

Augusta

SusieQ
SusieQ 07/23/09 - 10:57 am
Jack234-- We are getting

Jack234-- We are getting tired reading your Post -8:56 and 11:24 same post day after day. It seems to be posted on everything and We now know it by heart Pleassse! SusieQ

jack234
jack234 07/23/09 - 11:12 am
This is a personal message

This is a personal message for Rose ears only. (no need for a rebuttal) Do you know of anyone that repairs roofs? President Obama's ratings have just went through the roof. HELLO! HELLO!

Marko
Marko 07/23/09 - 11:14 am
To everyone who is saying

To everyone who is saying that we aren't going to a single payer system, you are right with a caveat. Hilary Clinton tried that in 1993 and it went no where. Now the democratic party learned from its past mistakes and is trying to do it in stages. This "public" option is just the first step to a single payer system. Many companies who provide health insurance to their employees will drop it once they find out that the public option is available. It just makes sense. Why spend a whole lot of money on health insurance when the government will provide it? Like most everything else the government runs, it is riddled with incompetence, cost over runs etc. The government is the major cause of high healthcare prices, not the solution to it. Just look at Medicare and Medicaid if you don't believe me.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/23/09 - 11:36 am
I already posted this on the

I already posted this on the "Slippery Ahead" editorial, so apologies if you've already seen it... Did any of you catch this little gem? On Page 425 of Obama's health care bill, the Federal Government will require EVERYONE who is on Social Security to undergo a counseling session every 5 years with the objective being that they will explain to them just how to end their own life earlier. Yes...They are going to require elderly to get counseling every five years for SUICIDE to cut medicare spending!!! So those of you who voted for Obama have now put your own parents in dire straights... Congratulations, and thanks so much for returning the love and care we put into your life! (Also planned: denial of medical care for seniors.)

4ward
4ward 07/23/09 - 11:45 am
I have lived in nations with

I have lived in nations with socialist medicine and I don't believe the current plan will work for America. If Americans are going overseas for healthcare have you thought of what kind? Many times it is experimental surgeries, experimental plastic surgery (does anybody remember the mother of the entertainer that died in S.America) or for illegal procedures (blood doping). And, those Americans that go overseas can afford to do so. I guarantee health insurance isn't covering it. I've worked hard for what I have and I am a minority-I am not willing to pay for your free ride.

concernednative
concernednative 07/23/09 - 12:03 pm
No, 4ward a lot of small

No, 4ward a lot of small business owners in Texas go to Mexico for dental work and other routine medical it is cheaper than paying premius monthly for coverage here.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 07/23/09 - 12:05 pm
I guess all of you may not

I guess all of you may not have caught Oh Be Me's Infomercial last night. I couldn't help but notice his referals to himself as a "Wealty American".....a "rich man" no less.....So, I guess he spent 650 million dollars(of other people's money) to go to Washington and raise his taxes.....And someone said he was intelligent.....LMAO!

mgroothand
mgroothand 07/23/09 - 12:11 pm
In Canada, medical care is

In Canada, medical care is allegedly guaranteed. That also depends on where in Canada you live. In the province of Quebec that care is meted out a little differently. The Catholic church is a major influence there, not unlike a closed shop union in a non-right-to-work environment. This very much includes health care and all that is involved. I was admitted to an ER in Quebec City with 3rd degree burns but my paperwork reflected the fact that I was not Catholic and therefore it was assumed that I did not tithe to the Church. Well, so much for the Hippocratic Oath. I waited in agony for 10 hours before someone inquired why I was there. It was later that I learned that although I had as much right to emergency treatment as anyone, the fact that I was not of the predominant religion had everything to do with the intentional delay in emergency treatment.

KSL
KSL 07/23/09 - 12:31 pm
How many people in the US die

How many people in the US die waiting for coronary by-pass surgery? And under Obama's plan where people have admitted that life expectancy will be considered by bureaucrats, not you and your doctor, will die prematurely? I object to a bureaucrat deciding that. It's akin to a bureaucrat deciding who can have children and who can't.

Huggybear30909
Huggybear30909 07/23/09 - 12:46 pm
Hotfoot go to Scandinavia if

Hotfoot go to Scandinavia if you like the way it works over there so damn much.

Huggybear30909
Huggybear30909 07/23/09 - 12:51 pm
Jack234 you ignorant small

Jack234 you ignorant small mule. That Muslim Nobama has done nothing to keep us safe except promise to pull out of Iraq where it is stable or not. To decrease the size of out military. To cancel the most advance plane on the planet, nothing in the world can touch it. They could crawl up our butts and put out your hemroids before you know it if they wanted to. If I were you I would watch my back.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/23/09 - 01:24 pm
Somehow, MGroothand, I simply

Somehow, MGroothand, I simply do not believe that what happened to you was because of the reasons you say. Even if 'someone' told you that, I still don't believe it. There are plenty of people who hate religion, and especially hate Catholics and Jews. Your memory is disgustingly short if you don't immediately remember that some of your former countrymen were ever so eager to blame one specific ethno-religious group, ie, The Jews!, for every evil that befell the Fatherland after lunacy and megalomania failed to bring the rest of the world to heel. The times are definitely similar, and some people are just as stupid, blind and evil.

Steve Wylie
Steve Wylie 07/23/09 - 01:48 pm
Since the proposed

Since the proposed health-care over-haul has nothing in common with the Canadian system, there is no reason to comment on this. I wish the AC would print reasoned arguments that contributed to the public debate instead of this gibberish they know is unrepresentative of the real debate according to both conservative and liberal groups (factcheck.org). Herring, anyone? We have it in red.

4ward
4ward 07/23/09 - 01:54 pm
ConcernedNative-I pay $36

ConcernedNative-I pay $36 dollars a month for a great family dental plan. My husband is a small business owner. What about the rest of the nation? Surely there aren't 750,000 Texans crossing the border for dental work--think larger and not so narrow.

TechLover
TechLover 07/23/09 - 02:00 pm
huggy: Once you start with

huggy: Once you start with the "muslim" crap evrythig else is suspect. The Iraq pullout agreement was reached in 2008. That d*mn Obama. Oh wait, he wasn't President until Jan. 20, 2009.

Nammy3
Nammy3 07/23/09 - 02:05 pm
lol tl....

lol tl....

mad_max
mad_max 07/23/09 - 02:35 pm
It has EVERYTHING to do with

It has EVERYTHING to do with the Canadian system. Once you give the government the control, the rules will change every year based on budget. What might not start out a Canadian system in year one will certainly be a Canadian system by year ten. Why? Because ALL socialized medicine systems break the financial backs of their country and end up in long waits, reduced care, limited tests, limited medicines, and rationed care based on age and other factors. They ALL do. PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE. This is not about improving YOUR healthcare. It is about taking part of your healthcare and some more of your tax money to give to people who already get free medical care. The CNN Poll yesterday said 88% of respondees have health insurance. 12% did not. Part of that 12% choose not to buy health insurance. WE ARE RUINING OUR HEALTHCARE SYSTEM TO BENEFIT A SMALL PORTION OF THE POPULATION AND TO GIVE THE GOVERNMENT MORE OF OUR TAX MONEY. It's always about the money. It has nothing to do with improving your healthcare. It is an Obama grab for total government control of every aspect of our lives and ALL of our money. Communist president + Communist Congress = Communist Control. You voted for it.

Nammy3
Nammy3 07/23/09 - 02:40 pm
Something good.........

Something good......... *Y*a*Y* no vote on Health Care until AFTER recess!!!!! w00t!!! If that doesn't say something right there!

mgroothand
mgroothand 07/23/09 - 04:14 pm
Fiat Lux: Your ramblings at

Fiat Lux: Your ramblings at 2:24 make no sense. I was there, I well remember what went on. My former countrymen all lived or hailed from western Europe, they actually hid Jews during WWll. There is a commemorative plaque at Yad Vashem attesting to that. What has any of your rantings have to do with the subject matter?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/23/09 - 05:35 pm
Re-read your 1:11 comment,

Re-read your 1:11 comment, esp this: "It was later that I learned that although I had as much right to emergency treatment as anyone, the fact that I was not of the predominant religion had everything to do with the INTENTIONAL delay in emergency treatment." [capitalization mine] If you don't see how this resembles Nazi Germany's attitude toward Jews after years of post-WWI privation & leading up to Krystal Nacht, then you really don't have a clue. I'm happy and not surprised that you were on the side of good in all that, but your remark echoes the "progressive" and liberal worldview about the Catholic Church today. It's scary to realize that if Obama and his adulators succeed, I will not be allowed to practice my profession according to the dictates of my Faith and conscience. Comments like yours are just the kind of fuel more agressive bigots love to latch onto to rationalize their monstrous decisions and actions, and I believe Obama and his ilk are but a few Congressional votes away from that. The time may come when those who need hiding are your Catholic or pro-life neighbors right here in the US.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/23/09 - 05:41 pm
It's a question that bears

It's a question that bears asking in this forum. How many of you would actually come to the defense of someone who was being given real prison time for legally and peacefully protesting abortion? What if the penalty for such activity was death, even though it is our Constitutional right? The ACLU stalwarts sure are quiet about the probability that American citizens wilbe forced to practice medicine in a way that violates their conscience and religious beliefs in order to remain employed or licensed. Where are all of you great American patriots when it comes to that? The silence is deafening from the guilty, just like in Canada.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 07/23/09 - 06:27 pm
If you break the law, you go

If you break the law, you go to jail. What if? What if? What if?

The Ode
The Ode 07/23/09 - 06:47 pm
Why don't the liberals on

Why don't the liberals on Capitol Hill push for tax cuts and allow Americans to keep more of the money they earn, repeal the ridiculous EMTALA legislation of 1986 and let individuals pay for their own healthcare as they see fit?

Marko
Marko 07/23/09 - 07:22 pm
Because that would actually

Because that would actually make sense.

KSL
KSL 07/23/09 - 07:24 pm
It pains me to see two people

It pains me to see two people arguing over an isolated incident when I know they actually agree in practice.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/23/09 - 07:56 pm
I hear you KSL, but the

I hear you KSL, but the subtle--or not so subtle-- shift that's coming in this health care package is really serious and mostly not recognized. I DON'T doubt Mgroot's patriotism or loyalty to the truth; there's plenty of evidence on that score. The problem is that health care in the US is headed for rationing, and that means some people are not going to get what they need. It is at that point that we really will need to be on guard against unfounded accusations aimed at specific groups or segments of our citizenry. The groundwork already is pretty extensive for disenfranchizing evangelical Christians, Catholics, large families, pro-lifers, or anyone else whose faith or conscience prevents them from just acceding to whatever social reform or redefinition happens to be most popular. It won't be a big step to make into law what now is popular opinion about morality and religious practice and expression. The proposed 'Hate speech' legislation should give plenty of warning about what we can expect.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/23/09 - 08:02 pm
Perhaps a small amount of

Perhaps a small amount of "what if, what if?" applied over the past 70 years would have kept us out of the mess we currently enjoy. Perhaps we wouldn't have created an institutionalized underclass instead of providing genuine equal opportunity. "What if" always is the starting point for great ideas and amazing inventions, so cynicism on that score just shows smallness of thought and absence of creativity.

LaTwon
LaTwon 07/23/09 - 09:12 pm
fiat if you want to see whats

fiat if you want to see whats happening, study the bolsheviks. how they came to power. who financed them. who controlled the govt, what happened to christianity, what happened to the wealthy and then what happened to the poor once they were no longer needed. we are teetering on the same edge. i think you are right on the money.

KSL
KSL 07/23/09 - 09:53 pm
I well know that it's headed

I well know that it's headed for rationing under the current admin.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/23/09 - 11:19 pm
LaTwon, I did study the

LaTwon, I did study the Bolshis which is exactly why I'm genuinely scared--not for myself so much as for my children and eventually, their children. In some ways, I can welcome the fight because it's better for our souls than the soul-killing materialism and self-indulgence we wallow in today. We've been living like well-tended cattle for so many decades that it's entirely possible the last real fighters have just about died off. I hope that's not true, but it might be. The generations behind us boomers as a group sure seem like a weak and sorry lot. Again, I hope that's just from my own experience and not the whole story. In any case, it's an interesting time to be alive.