196 arrested in Richmond County drug sweeps

Deputies have arrested 196 people over the past week as they've conducted street-level drug sweeps across Richmond County.

Back | Next
Richmond County sheriff's investigator Alonzo Bell holds large marijuana plants taken during a sweep of street-level drug activity that started July 14. A pound of loose marijuana and an ounce of cocaine also were found.  Annette M. Drowlette/Staff
Annette M. Drowlette/Staff

Beginning July 14, deputies from the narcotics and crime-suppression divisions began making low-level arrests in "hot spot" drug areas such as Harrisburg, Turpin Hill, Bethlehem, Sand Hills, Washington Road and Meadowbrook Drive, said Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Robert Partain.

The raids yielded about 1 pound of loose marijuana and several large marijuana plants, an ounce of cocaine, $3,000 in cash and several firearms, and Lt. Partain said authorities hope for more by way of information.

"We made 148 drug cases that we consider either users or street-level distributors," Lt. Partain said. "We also are able to use information we obtained from a lot of these arrests to find out, OK, where are they getting drugs in these communities so that we can start targeting those particular locations?"

Almost 50 others were arrested on outstanding warrants and other crimes, he said.

Lt. Partain said police were attempting to gauge where drug action and distribution were happening in the community and to address complaints by residents of drug use in their areas.

"A lot of the street-level drug activity that people see in their community, we were targeting to try to deter some of it," he said. "We aren't necessarily going to stop it, but were just trying to deter for a period of time. Then we can try to address the issues."

In Harrisburg, an arrest was made at one of the three properties targeted in the Fourth of July protest march against absentee landlords and drug activity.

Lt. Partain said deputies spotted a man in the yard at 1841 Watkins St., whom they recognized "from an occasion in the past." When they tried to talk to him, he bolted into the house, he said.

Deputies retrieved him and found he had a small amount of marijuana on him, about enough to roll a cigarette, Lt. Partain said.

Nicodemus Lorenzo Barnes, 30, who is not one of the tenants of the duplex, was charged with a misdemeanor, the lieutenant said.

Staff Writer Johnny Edwards contributed to this article.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 07/21/09 - 04:48 am
Interesting, I guess my post

Interesting, I guess my post disappeared or is on an earlier version of this story. Anyway, congratulations, keep up the good work, I won't repeat what I wrote about what I noticed Saturday night at 11:11pm, in case it would tip somebody off about something I couldn't anticipate. I just hope those weren't gunshots I heard so close while I was bringing in my groceries, that I reacted by ducking. Sure would like to know what those pops were. If it was leftover firecrackers, they still aren't supposed to be going off, it's not a holiday and it was after 11pm. We do have a noise ordinance.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 07/21/09 - 04:50 am
I hope you find the rest of

I hope you find the rest of the hotspots. I have to drive through at least one of them because I have family and friends nearby. I shouldn't have to worry about life and limb when I visit.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 07/21/09 - 04:54 am
It was 200 (was that an

It was 200 (was that an estimate?) and now it's 196. (Or did 4 snitch and get released?) Hope they snitched. Prefer they didn't get released.

stovall st
stovall st 07/21/09 - 05:58 am
i wonder what tookem so

i wonder what tookem so long.you can get about any kind of drugs you want on the street.it's about time.they started cleaning up the drug infected streets. thank you r.c.s.d.

omnomnom
omnomnom 07/21/09 - 06:20 am
d'aw, what happened to the

d'aw, what happened to the 420 friendly crew that was posting yesterday?

blazestr
blazestr 07/21/09 - 06:42 am
Enough to roll a cigarette? I

Enough to roll a cigarette? I do believe it would be a joint? haha. Its un-real the amount of weed that is going around Augusta, and for them to find plants like that is just amazing to me. Plants take a little while to grow, so I always wounder how they never get caught when they first start going them, it really shows how long people have been out there doing these things. I think they should be more considered with bigger bus then smalls ones. Don't get me wrong it's good they are taken them no matter what, but there focus should be on the actually drug dealer.

Rebelbuyer
Rebelbuyer 07/21/09 - 07:00 am
While these kinds of arrests

While these kinds of arrests make for good P.R. they will never be long lasting until you get to the source. Who are the people with the money, power and connections to hire these two-bit street dealers? If the head of this snake were to be cut off the problem would disappear and we'd probably be shocked to discover who they are. Unfortunately, drugs have nearly ruined the quietness and safety of even our rural communities and it doesn't help to know that our local business men and sheriff in the county I live in are the major dealers. This stuff goes higher and deeper than the punks you see on the streets. The G.B.I. isn't interested in doing anything about this situation, we've tried.

One who cares
One who cares 07/21/09 - 07:30 am
Rebelbuyer, you are making a

Rebelbuyer, you are making a strong statment saying the sheriff and local businessmen are involved in distribution and are major dealers. I would hope you are very wrong in this situation. I DO NOT BELIEVE SHERIFF RONNIE STRENGTH WOULD EVER be involved in this mess.
Give RCSD praise for finding this much and this many druggies. Of course they need to go to the schools, from elementary up to high schools and they will find a lot more, also Apple Valley. Well enuff of that, let's just hope and PRAY they arrest more and more.

One who cares
One who cares 07/21/09 - 07:30 am
Rebelbuyer, you are making a

Rebelbuyer
Rebelbuyer 07/21/09 - 07:52 am
redneck I'm not talking about

redneck I'm not talking about Richmond county and Sheriff Strength. I am grateful that these arrests were made. My point is these two-bit hoods don't have the resources to bring drugs into this country nor to facilitate its national distribution. There are 196 more already taking their places. Its a poor rat that only has one hole to run to. The police need to get into the nest. You'd be amazed at the power structure in place which protects that den. The love of money will cause men to perform all kinds of evil.... just look at lawyers.

leoswife
leoswife 07/21/09 - 07:56 am
redneck--He said in "his

redneck--He said in "his county" he did not specify what county he lived in. Rebelbuyer I used to live in a small GA town that has lost all of it's industry EXCEPT the drug industry and it is run by the prominent people in the community. It is sad. The police and deputies in these small towns are not always corrupt, but they are helpless to do anything in fear of losing their job, which, in today's economy, is a death sentence. I agree that GBI could do more, but, on their defense, they need a bigger force to deal with the drug problems in our small towns. GOOD JOB RCSD!!! Every little bit counts!

3M3T1B
3M3T1B 07/21/09 - 08:52 am
This is BS. 148 drug cases?

This is BS. 148 drug cases? Let's do the math - split a pound of pot and an ounce of coke between 148 criminals and you get months and years of tied up courts, public defenders and prosecutors, both paid by tax dollars, wasting time on this petty "..enough to roll a cigarette" drug cases that will probably roll over to a plea and get sentenced to time served. The only good thing that came out of this was the "several firearms" that are now off the street.

Son of God
Son of God 07/21/09 - 09:23 am
There are so many people

There are so many people dying that have never used drugs in their lives. We are missing the point here. The Richmond County Sheriff Department employees are here to protect us. They have a mandated jod to perform to protect the law abiding citizens of the CSRA and surrounding areas. DRUGS WILL AND ALWAYS HAVE KILLED, ESPECIALLY OUR YOUTH AND NOW CELEBRITIES,(BILLIONAIRES.. MICHAEL JACKSON, ELVIS PRESSLEY, ETC... Drug use has no respect of persons. For all those who do not know Sheriff Strength, it is better to keep your mouth shut and APPEAR IGNORANT than to post a statement and REMOVE ALL DOUBT. SHERIFF STRENGTH HATES DRUGS. His tolerance for drugs is zero. It is so easy to voice an opinion about the sheriff.Try walking in his shoes for just one day and you will not make it. It is so easy to pass the buck and hide your hand. LET'S PUT UP OR SHUT UP. We all need each other in order to succeed. God is in control. What are you praying to God for or are you genuinely praying? Does God hear and answer you when you pray? Can you make a difference in someone else's life? Let's turn all of our negative comments into positive statements and begin to pray for each other. Let's walk in LOVE

MrsD
MrsD 07/21/09 - 10:24 am
Great job Richmond County

Great job Richmond County Narcotics! Thanks for all your hard work; it is appreciated!

Lumbarsupport
Lumbarsupport 07/21/09 - 10:44 am
Yawn. The bigger operations

Yawn. The bigger operations always seem to be done by Lt. Gay, I'll wait until that operation goes down to voice an opinion on the attempts by the police to curb Augusta's drug problem. Those of you that choose to be relentlessly negative about the police here need to realize that big operations take time to put into place. He's only one man, people!

cricketflea
cricketflea 07/21/09 - 11:13 am
Whoop-dee-doo....I would

Whoop-dee-doo....I would wager that every one of these street level thugs were right back out on the street, at their post, selling their "wares" within six hours. Until you get THEIR suppliers, you have actually done nothing spectacular. Go after the TOP DOG in the line and then maybe, just maybe you will make a difference.

jack
jack 07/21/09 - 01:30 pm
Keep up the good work

Keep up the good work Sheriff.

carlyle
carlyle 07/21/09 - 01:35 pm
Some of the top dogs are the

Some of the top dogs are the landlords who harbor these people. Look for landlords being picketed in their own neighborhoods by concerned citizens very soon

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/21/09 - 02:05 pm
Checkit, would you want that

Checkit, would you want that pound of marijuana or ounce of coke to wind up in the hands of your child? Anytime drugs are taken off the street, however trivial it may sound, is a good thing. I venture to say that the information the police got from the 196 individuals is more valuable than the drugs. In order to get to the "top dog" you have to start with the "bottom dog".

carlyle
carlyle 07/21/09 - 02:39 pm
Anytime a slumlord is renting

Anytime a slumlord is renting a dump in a drug infested neighborhood for $1000 a month, there is nothing good going on. The Rabitsch's are doing this at 1841 Watkins St., where one of the recent drug arrests was made. Slumlords are a blight on society and should be dealt with through civil forfeiture when drugs are involved.

Taylor B
Taylor B 07/21/09 - 07:08 pm
InChrist, that has to do with

InChrist, that has to do with parenting, not ineffective drug laws. What is the fallout of this? Is a pound of pot worth the life of a policeman? Many policeman and innocent civilians have been killed over less serving warrants. All of this seems like RCSO have been trusting snitches a little too much. How many of these 196 had nothing when they were picked up? Where are the numbers on that?

MrsD
MrsD 02/12/10 - 11:39 am
atctaylorb -- 196 were

atctaylorb -- 196 were arrested... That means that they did have something on them, whether is was drugs or guns...HELLOOOO...

Taylor B
Taylor B 07/21/09 - 10:27 pm
The numbers are off shmuck,

The numbers are off shmuck, thats all I'm saying. 196 divided by what was siezed. One pound divided by 196 people? Were talking pocket lint quantities here.

Pu239
Pu239 07/21/09 - 11:34 pm
Hmmmmm.....that would mean

Hmmmmm.....that would mean they each had 2.285714 grams of weed each and .1428571 grams of nose candy. That is, if my scales are correct.

xpresso1
xpresso1 07/22/09 - 03:03 am
They "retreived" him love the

They "retreived" him love the word play. lol. I dont understand why this is so news worthy. The sheriffs office has a narcotics division..a crime suppression team.. a vice unit.. COME ON this should be happening everyday... Get real!

celticfiveo
celticfiveo 07/22/09 - 10:15 am
It’s obvious that some of you

It’s obvious that some of you don’t live in neighborhoods that have crack heads walking the streets all night long stealing whatever they can put their hands on, Prostitutes running from car to car to make twenty dollars for a crack rock, and gangbanging thugs walking the streets smoking blunts and menacing anyone who looks at them. They may not be the big players but they are a problem that cant be ignored for the saftey of those good people in those neighborhoods.

jb5365
jb5365 07/22/09 - 11:34 am
If someone wants to put a

If someone wants to put a dent in the crack problem they sure aren`t trying very hard. Some time back I stayed in a "cheap" motel in Augusta for a few days while some things were being done to my house. I figured out some of the distribution orginization very quickly. They were using 2-story motels, the main man was on the second floor (top), he had 3 or 4 rooms downstairs that distributed the goods. He would lower a bucket with more drugs as ordered by the guys on the 1st floor as they put money in the bucket. Runners came almost constantly to these lower rooms to carry and deliver orders. I was there 3 days and figured that out. Turned out my phone # was 1 digit different from another motel and the orders were coming to my house day and night at all hours, from distant places, too. Texas, Atlanta, Minnesota, Indiana, etc. If I can figure that out why can`t the geniuses at the R>C>S>D> figure it out? Kickbacks????

peter.smith
peter.smith 07/22/09 - 02:20 pm
we're gonna win this war on

we're gonna win this war on drugs, yet. just like mexico.

corgimom
corgimom 07/22/09 - 05:30 pm
AC, print the list of people

AC, print the list of people arrested. We want to know if any of our neighbors or friends or relatives are drug dealers. As for Nicodemus- AC, 4/9/09 "Nicodemus Lorenzo Barnes , 30, of the 1800 block of Ellis Street, possession of a controlled substance (methylene dioxymethamphetamine, also known as Ecstasy, also known as MDMA) and a misdemeanor count of possession of marijuana; Oct. 1: seven years' probation, fined $1,500 and ordered to undergo counseling and treatment and submit to random testing"- guess the treatment isn't working-

antsgirl
antsgirl 07/27/09 - 07:23 pm
well richmond county is

well richmond county is finally doing something. it will last for about a month strong then back to.....................amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!