Miller: Obama should stay put

ATLANTA --- Former U.S. Sen. Zell Miller called President Obama's decision to close the military prison at Guantanamo Bay "nuts" Thursday and said it would risk the lives of civilians while giving terrorists new freedoms.

The Georgia Democrat told a gathering of more than 1,000 lawmakers at the American Legislative Exchange Council that Mr. Obama's effort to close the prison would "treat the terrorists as they were a run of the mill criminal instead of what they really are."

He drew more applause from the mostly Republican legislators who packed a downtown Atlanta hotel ballroom when he said Mr. Obama needed to spend more time in Washington and less time traveling abroad.

"Our globe-trotting president needs to stop and take a break and quit gallivanting around," Mr. Miller said, adding that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel needs to put "Gorilla Glue" on his chair to keep him in the Oval Office.

Two black leaders who know Mr. Miller well said they were not offended by the remark.

The Rev. Joseph Lowery, a civil rights leader, noted the glue is a brand name.

"I ignore it," he said. "I consider the source and go about my business."

Democratic State Rep. Tyrone Brooks, who leads the Georgia Association of Black Elected Officials, said he wasn't offended by Mr. Miller's comment, but said it came a few years too late.

"It would have been much more appropriate that he suggest that Karl Rove used some Gorilla Glue on George Bush and Dick Cheney," said the Atlanta Democrat.

concernednative
concernednative 07/17/09 - 04:15 am
First of all why does he

First of all why does he still call himself a dem. Secondly, Zell is old washed up news. Hasn't had a good idea in years to move the country or the state ahead. Simply throwing the crowd red meat no solutions. Thanks Zell for helping GA so much. NOT!

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 07/17/09 - 04:40 am
I thought we ran Zell off....

I thought we ran Zell off.... At least President Obama's trips have for the most part been official. Whether or not people agree with what he's trying to do... at least he's TRYING!!! Perhaps every other week at the ranch in Crawford, Texas is what he needs??

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/17/09 - 05:12 am
Conservative Dems are much

Conservative Dems are much hated by the left. Zell Miller is no different. The "Gorilla Glue" was a very funny gaff though. I'll be stunned if the MSM let's it slide.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 07/17/09 - 05:39 am
Zell is just trying to get

Zell is just trying to get back in the news when I look at him I see the typical white man since Obama's been president, making statements to lure the media to them for their 15 minutes. Zell go sit down I never voted for you anyway.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 07/17/09 - 05:40 am
Oh congrats NAACP on your

Oh congrats NAACP on your 100th Anniversary keep up the good work.

ladyjanegrey
ladyjanegrey 07/17/09 - 06:35 am
lol.............

lol.............

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/17/09 - 07:06 am
Hard to miss the obvious.

Hard to miss the obvious.

eric stoner
eric stoner 07/17/09 - 08:12 am
Zell was once one of the most

Zell was once one of the most effective political leaders in the South. I'll never understand what happened to him. He's turned into a petty, angry old man.

jacobwriggsly
jacobwriggsly 07/17/09 - 08:15 am
I thought the comment was oh

I thought the comment was oh so appropriate, was it not?

Eric, what happened to him is he remained a democrat!

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/17/09 - 08:20 am
jackfruitpaper833, and just

jackfruitpaper833, and just what is the "typical white man" since Obama's been president?

missaugusta07
missaugusta07 07/17/09 - 08:21 am
It's amazing that he has

It's amazing that he has everything to say,why don't he take his old world views and go seat in a rocking chair on his front porch,it's a new time he wants things to stay the same as they did long ago.It's time for a change alot of people are critizing President Obama but he's still the President,you wont give him a chance because you don't like change.we all need change,Zell miller,Sonny Perdue all those old dudes know there is some new blood in there and they can't stand it.Just get over it and let that man do what he has to do,hell he can't do no worse than bush did,he is the reason we are in a recession people,wake up it's not Obama.He just pick up the ball and started running with it.Zell is just angry and bitter,go take a laxative old man.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/17/09 - 08:37 am
missaugusta, did you go to

missaugusta, did you go to school.....at all?

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 07/17/09 - 08:49 am
The libs, that refuse to see,

The libs, that refuse to see, continue to forget that it was over 2 1/2 yrs ago when the dim controlled congress took over and led our great country down this path of destruction. Everything is prezbhos' crisis now. You can't continue to excuse, defend, blame others, avoid and ignore that every crisis happening now is the responsibility of prezbho, his crooks and the dim controlled congress. As enforcer/rambo says; 'you don't let a good crisis go to waste'. And they continue their doom and gloom crisis on a daily basis. Crisis, crisis everywhere. Plagerist/GAFFE machine, biden says 'we're going bankrupt so we need to spend more money'. And the dims continue to be concerned about conservative candidates. Wow...

AAQueen
AAQueen 07/17/09 - 09:08 am
just I'm sure you understood

just I'm sure you understood what she was saying, don't get on her grammar cause u don't agree.
Explain your remark, "Hard to miss the obvious."

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 07/17/09 - 09:55 am
inchristlove "ANGRY" ones,

inchristlove "ANGRY" ones, and for what reason I know and so many others as well. What do you see on TV and hear on the radio mostly THEM since his election, get real, if you praying call my screen name out more and surely white men in general by asking God to help their minds and deliver them from hate, bitterness and anger.

missaugusta07
missaugusta07 07/17/09 - 10:18 am
What do you mean did I go to

What do you mean did I go to school.yes I did !did you?You are one of the ones that don't want change,you want everything is to stay the same.Because I don't agree with what you think I'm ignorant now,Are critcizingmy grammar oh please get a freakin life!You need a laxative or a man or woman or both,who knows get over it!

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/17/09 - 10:42 am
I'm sorry missaugusta, upon

I'm sorry missaugusta, upon further reflection you appear to be an extremely intelligent women. Everyone reading this can see that. Have a nice day.

KSL
KSL 07/17/09 - 10:56 am
missagusta07, you cannot

missagusta07, you cannot practice medicine without a license. And if 07 refers to the year you graduated, you might consider brushing up on the English language and grammar, if you ever want to have a decent job.

The Ode
The Ode 07/17/09 - 10:59 am
Sorry AAQ but I can NOT

Sorry AAQ but I can NOT understand missaugusta07. It is one big mis-spelled run on paragraph that makes coherent sense whatsoever.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/17/09 - 11:43 am
Well jackfruit, I have to say

Well jackfruit, I have to say I don't agree with you. I've seen some white male comentators who speak passionately about the direction they feel the USA is going, not angry white men....but then again I do not watch much TV. I'm more of a reader. Should I not be praying for the angry black men of this world too, because I'm sure there are a few. Just so you know, I've been praying that God opens your eyes so you can see just how distructive this new Presidential administration is becoming, so you've been forewarned. I'm sure our new President is a very nice man but I can not agree with his way of thinking....but then again, that's my right, isn't it?

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 07/17/09 - 12:10 pm
Yes, I guess the presidents

Yes, I guess the presidents trip to Paris for date night; the presidents trip to New York for a date night; the vacation in Hawaii; the family trip to Chicago; the flyover of the presidential plane and me-shell-my-belle and girls trip to Paris for fish-n-chips are considered official working trips by the gullible followers of prezbho. We can always count on them to use common sense when they talk about their 'annointed one'.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 07/17/09 - 12:45 pm
convertedsoutherner you are

convertedsoutherner you are HOMELAND SECURITY stat in the flesh everyday, in fact you was it even before they released the report. What's keeping you from doing like the Holocaust shooter? How much more will it take with the hate you have for Obama to RELEASE it out on someone? Surely your hate is almost at a boiling point? Wash the stain off your smock, did you print McKee's cartoon out yesterday, is it one of your favorites?

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 07/17/09 - 12:56 pm
And the reason why is because

And the reason why is because he's a black man inchristlove don't skirt around it, you pretending to pray and pray, what has God said to you about him, did he tell you personally or speak to your heart he was the wrong person, did he tell you to pray for him constantly for protection, did he tell you to pray not only for the white man but black, while you are praying pray for the latinos, jewish, asian men etc. You can say what you want but you know you see ANGRY WHITE MEN all over the news mostly since his nomination and election don't fool yourself. You need to be petitioning God to change the minds of these crazy people around here with HATE in their hearts towards the persident, your prayer just might help stop another attempt at his life. Be fervent in your prayers.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/17/09 - 01:00 pm
Zell is not wrong about the

Zell is not wrong about the need to stay home and fix the problems we have. I like Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Tape, it REALLY is the strongest I have ever used. I bet Tyrone Brookes doesn't even know it is a BRAND NAME (how many of you knew that?, tell the truth)

j2says
j2says 07/17/09 - 01:02 pm
Ok, I see the people getting

Ok, I see the people getting on missaugusta's post also have a few typos in their own posts complaining about her's. Let's just say, if an English teacher were to grade these posts no one would pass. Let's focus on content instead of composition.

r we judging
r we judging 07/17/09 - 01:02 pm
Yes her punctuation is not

Yes her punctuation is not the best, but you understand exactly what she is trying to say. Georgia is still a racist state with a slavery mentality. That is the truth. The republicans have screwed this economy up. There were no weapons found. This war was a vindictive attempt by the Bush family to get back at these people for pevious issues. Also to take the resources that these people have. Oil, which ironically is the bush legacy. Face the facts and stop being undercover racists.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/17/09 - 01:10 pm
r we judging
r we judging 07/17/09 - 01:10 pm
To critisize the president

To critisize the president spending time with his family. You people are ridiculous, what about the drunken bush girls. read this republicans take off way more and do way less fact
According to an August 2003 article in the Washington Post, President Bush has spent all or part of 166 days during his presidency at his Crawford, Texas, ranch or en route. Add the time spent at or en route to the presidential retreat of Camp David and at the Bush family estate in Kennebunkport, Maine, and Bush has taken 250 days off as of August 2003. That's 27% of his presidency spent on vacation.

Bush isn't the first president to get away from his work. George Bush Sr. took all or part of 543 vacation days at Camp David and in Kennebunkport. Ronald Reagan spent 335 days at or en route to his Santa Barbara, California, ranch during his eight years in office. Of recent presidents, Jimmy Carter took the least days off -- only 79 days, which he usually spent at his home in Georgia. That's less than three weeks a year, which is closer to the average American's paid time off of 13 days per year.
Clinton As of December 1999, President Bill Clinton had spent only 152 days on holiday during his terms

r we judging
r we judging 07/17/09 - 01:12 pm
so do your reseach before you

so do your reseach before you open your mouth. Republicans take way more vacation out of office than democrats and they leave the government way more messed up. This is funny to me. Thank non minority for him being the appointed one. He won the white vote. Just say you hate we have a president that represents a black man.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/17/09 - 01:13 pm
jackfruitpaper, do not be

jackfruitpaper, do not be concerned about "another attempt at his life", God is in control. (Was an attempt made on the President's life?). "Pretending" to pray....do you know my prayer life?? I assure you I am neither a fool, or trying to skirt the issues. It appears that you are the one angry. I will say that many individuals...male and female....are passionate about the direction this country is going and they are speaking out about what they feel is wrong and harmful to this country. If you want to call it HATE then so be it. I am not ignorant enough to think that none hate the president because of his race, but I will say IMHO most do not approve his policies and have nothing against the man personally. It is not my place to ask God to change his mind (like that would really happen), only that his will be done and to give me the wisdom to understand his direction.

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.