Victim finds man who pulled her from SUV

Video of Barbara Inglett meeting John Demons, the man who pulled her from her wrecked SUV.

Since Saturday, Barbara Inglett has wanted to find and thank the man she says saved her life after her SUV was broadsided in a crash that morning.

Her rescuer, whom she called an "angel," turned out to be a man named John Demons.

"This is so ironic," Mrs. Inglett said with a laugh after she was told his name. "That is hilarious."

Or, as his mother, Freda Demons (pronounced Dim-ons), would later note: "God definitely has a sense of humor."

Mrs. Inglett gave her hero a big hug when she met him at his workplace Wednesday. Mr. Demons, who crawled in the upside down Chevrolet Blazer to free Mrs. Inglett from a seat belt she said was cutting off her air, left the scene before she got his name.

A co-worker of Mr. Demons at Triad Specialties told on him after reading about Mrs. Inglett in an Augusta Chronicle story Wednesday. Mr. Demons told a few co-workers what had happened, in what they said was his typical casual manner.

"One of them asked me how my weekend went," Mr. Demons said. "I told them it was interesting."

Mrs. Inglett, who suffered cuts and bruises when her car was hit by a pickup at Lewiston Road and Interstate 20, said she wanted to make sure Mr. Demons fully understood what he did.

"I hope you get it, John," she told him. "I would not be here without you. The way you said you were going to get me out, I knew you were not going to leave me."

Mr. Demons, 28, said he didn't see the accident, only the aftermath. He was heading into a nearby convenience store when he heard tires screeching and a loud crash. He said he ran into the store, told the cashier to call 911 and then hurried to Mrs. Inglett's vehicle, where she was pleading for someone to free her.

"That's when I crawled in and unfastened her seat belt to take some of the pressure off her diaphragm, her abdomen area so she could get comfortable and breathe," Mr. Demons said, adding that he left after police learned he hadn't witnessed the accident and told him he could go.

Mr. Demons said some co-workers started calling him the Incredible Hulk, jokingly exaggerating his heroics by saying he ripped the door off the vehicle. He didn't, but stretching the truth a bit doesn't make much difference to Mrs. Inglett.

"You know what, you raised a hero," she told Mrs. Demons. "You raised a wonderful son."

Reach Mike Wynn at (706) 823-3218 or mike.wynn@augustachronicle.com.

laprince
laprince 07/16/09 - 01:37 am
This is SOOO GREAT!!

This is SOOO GREAT!! WONDERFUL NEWS!! I know John personally. We attend the same church. He's a great guy. Compassionate and Caring!!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/16/09 - 03:37 am
That is great! Glad to know

That is great! Glad to know that God has put people like John is our paths!

enana031
enana031 07/16/09 - 04:05 am
God does send angels in times

God does send angels in times of need. Thank you John for caring enough to come to the aid of a total stranger. You are a shining example of Christianity and human kindness.

NANF
NANF 07/16/09 - 04:23 am
Young men like Mr. Demons

Young men like Mr. Demons make the world a brighter place. His attitude toward life and other people promises him a great future. God Bless Mr. Demons.

jaschild
jaschild 07/16/09 - 05:25 am
how refreshing... it's great

how refreshing... it's great to read something positive along with positive comments

snap1089
snap1089 07/16/09 - 05:35 am
It's people like you, John,

It's people like you, John, that keep people encouraged knowing there is still good in this world. Thank you.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/16/09 - 05:40 am
I thought this was about a

I thought this was about a crime from the heading. Heh. Great story. We should all be as ready to help as that gentleman was.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 07/16/09 - 05:47 am
Great story, I wonder if

Great story, I wonder if patriciathomas, southerguy08, barones, convertedsoutherner, hillguy, mable08 are going to post to this article LOL.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/16/09 - 06:11 am
fruit, your stupidity is

fruit, your stupidity is surpassed only by the blackness of your heart. You will reap what you sow. I can see why you're attracted to the Dem party.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/16/09 - 06:14 am
Well done, John Demons, I

Well done, John Demons, I hope you're not prosecuted for your good Samaritan actions.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/16/09 - 06:22 am
There is no reason to

There is no reason to prosecute him. Why make him worry?

redapples
redapples 07/16/09 - 06:36 am
Finally, a great story from

Finally, a great story from the AC!! Let's hope the commenters in this forum can maintain the positive message of Mr. Demons' action!

Pu239
Pu239 07/16/09 - 06:36 am
Cudos to Mr. John Demons!

Cudos to Mr. John Demons! Well done Sir!

ImThatGuy
ImThatGuy 07/16/09 - 06:39 am
We need more GOOD Demons

We need more GOOD Demons among us! This young man is truly a hero! .... one random act of kindness! (Evan Almighty)

onlynaugusta
onlynaugusta 07/16/09 - 06:42 am
This goes to show that not

This goes to show that not all young black men are armed and dangerous. John Demons did a wonderful and courageous job. Sometimes it takes situations of this sort to bring the world a bit closer. I'm glad Barbara got a chance to thank him. God is wonderful!!!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/16/09 - 06:47 am
Riverman, since when does

Riverman, since when does there need to be an obvious reason?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/16/09 - 06:57 am
Ah, relax, PT. He is a

Ah, relax, PT. He is a Republican. I can tell. He has a job and does good deeds. :)

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 07/16/09 - 07:18 am
What a great story!!

What a great story!!

Debster
Debster 07/16/09 - 07:22 am
All the quibbling over

All the quibbling over lawsuits and the like is nonsense. I wish, for once, that these types of comments, which demean the whole intent of goodness, could be put aside when a story of this caliber comes along. To Mr. Demons, thank you for restoring my faith in humankind. What you did was nothing short of heroic.

justus4
justus4 07/16/09 - 07:24 am
Congratulations to the young

Congratulations to the young man and his quick thinking in an emergency situation. He may have made a friend for life.

LolaJean
LolaJean 07/16/09 - 07:28 am
Whata hero this guy is!

Whata hero this guy is! Unlike Jackfruit and the rest of the Black Panthers, I look at the actions( NOT THE COLOR) of an individual and make my decision based on that.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/16/09 - 07:42 am
He struck me as a fine

He struck me as a fine person, Riverman. Did you see the smile in the 2nd picture? My worry is always for the bureaucracy that feels it's necessary to stop anyone from setting a good example that has a possibility of going wrong. This young Demon did everything right, but I'm always pessimistic about the bureaucracy.

andywarhol
andywarhol 07/16/09 - 08:28 am
Hey, onlyinaugusta, we don't

Hey, onlyinaugusta, we don't think all young black men are armed and dangerous! Why is it most black people think ALL whites are racist? Most of us don't think like that. I give everyone a fair shake until they prove otherwise.

sueboo418
sueboo418 07/16/09 - 08:44 am
Kudos to John Demons!! :)

Kudos to John Demons!! :) What a wonderful story.

ugadawgbite
ugadawgbite 07/16/09 - 09:17 am
Can't believe something

Can't believe something positive was printed in the AC. If only the gamecock fans in here would stick to the Aiken Standard for their negative comments...PT

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/16/09 - 09:18 am
JACKFRUIT, nice to know you

JACKFRUIT, nice to know you care so about my posting. Here I am and it's a pleasure to see some good news for a change. JOHN DEMONS, YOU ARE A HERO! GOD BLESS YOU! And, ONLYINAUGUSTA, why did you find it necessary to take a heartwarming story like this and turn it into a racial jab?

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/16/09 - 09:36 am
Mr. Demons just radiates

Mr. Demons just radiates kindness. It comes through even in the photos! He has to be an old soul. Neat article.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/16/09 - 09:39 am
onlyaugusta. What a racist

onlyaugusta. What a racist post.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/16/09 - 09:40 am
PT never ceases to amaze me.

PT never ceases to amaze me. Unreal.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/16/09 - 09:42 am
He is like a dark cloud

He is like a dark cloud hovering over a rainbow. Always has to throw something in there that has NOTHING to do with the subject at hand. Just ruins everything.

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.