Two young men, two touching moments

My wife and I were already in high spirits on a recent Friday morning in Augusta. Our oldest son would be graduating from dental school in a morning ceremony, and we had driven to a local McDonald's for breakfast before meeting the rest of our family at our son's condo.

When we went inside, my wife walked on to the restroom and I waited in line to order. I looked over to my right and there was this young soldier, wearing his camouflage uniform, standing in another line. Every time I see a soldier out in public, I have the urge to walk up to him or her and say, "Thanks for your service."

When my wife came to our table and sat down, she smiled and said "I'm going to pay for that soldier's breakfast." She had some money in her hand, I gave her some more, and off she went. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but I could see him smile while shaking his head. My wife told me later that he said, "You don't have to do that." My wife talked him into taking the money, then came back to our table and sat down.

Minutes later, as the young soldier was leaving the restaurant, he looked back at her and mouthed, "Thank you."

We both sat there, not saying a word. My wife had tears in her eyes, and she could tell I was choked up. I could picture either one of our two sons in that uniform, hundreds or thousands of miles from home and far away from his family and friends. The young soldier had told my wife he was from Newport News, Va.

Later that morning we moved on to our scheduled event, our oldest son's graduation from the dental school at the Medical College of Georgia. At the graduation ceremony, as our son moved closer to the front of the line, I was thinking, this is part of our family history, and I thought of the nights that he would study for an exam until four in the morning, sleep for an hour, and then study some more, before going to class. There was our son, Dr. Simpson, right before our eyes!

In a period of three hours we saw a young soldier far from home, who appreciated a random act of kindness from two strangers, and a young dentist, who has always made us proud, starting the next phase of his life. One event was scheduled, the other was a bonus. I always will cherish both.

Rich Simpson

Stone Mountain, Ga.

Callisto
Callisto 07/16/09 - 01:38 am
Mr Simpson, thank you for

Mr Simpson, thank you for that inspiring letter. Congratulations to the new Dr!

carcraft
carcraft 07/16/09 - 04:07 am
Thank you Mr. Simpson for

Thank you Mr. Simpson for reminding us of the debt we owe to those who volunteer to insure our freedom, gratitude!

xanadu
xanadu 07/16/09 - 05:27 am
if there were more people

if there were more people like you in this country, we wouldn't be in the straits we find ourselves now. all of us should take your cue and commit random acts of kindness for those who put themselves on the line for their fellow man: soldiers, police, firemen, etc.
congrats to your son! and to you and your wife as well.

snap1089
snap1089 07/16/09 - 05:55 am
Congratulations to your son!!

Congratulations to your son!! It's a good feeling to know you've succeeded in something like that! And thank you for reminding me how grateful we really should be to a person in uniform. It's an honor to have people fightin for our country.
I agree with aztecfaith that if we had more people like you guys, maybe the world really would be a little bit better.
Thank you.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/16/09 - 07:38 am
Excellent letter, Mr Simpson.

Excellent letter, Mr Simpson.

Lumbarsupport
Lumbarsupport 07/16/09 - 09:28 am
Good job to you Mr. and Mrs.

Good job to you Mr. and Mrs. Simpson.

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/16/09 - 09:44 am
thank you, mr. & mrs.

thank you, mr. & mrs. simpson, and god bless our troops & our nation!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/16/09 - 11:16 am
Nice LTE. It's good to have

Nice LTE. It's good to have stories like this show up as counterpoint to all the wretchedness in the news. [BTW, in an unrelated aside to AZTECFAITH: I wonder if you realize that the Aztec 'faith' involved worship of a moon god who demanded human sacrifice, once up to 80,000 people having their hearts ripped out and heads cut off in a single day. Not a nice faith to claim, IMO.]

augnewsgirl09
augnewsgirl09 07/16/09 - 12:21 pm
I've got tears in my eyes

I've got tears in my eyes just reading this article. Thank you, Mr. Simpson for this wonderful story.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/16/09 - 06:22 pm
Yeah, some folks are ACTUALLY

Yeah, some folks are ACTUALLY studying at 4am in the morning. And some are waiting to post on the R and R. They sho ain't studying to be a doctor either. lmaool

apex24
apex24 07/16/09 - 08:10 pm
That's what its all about.

That's what its all about. Being there!!!