Owner guilty of violations involving dogs

BELVEDERE --- A woman who owned dogs that police say mauled a 2-year-old Augusta boy last weekend was sentenced Tuesday in a South Carolina courtroom on unrelated citations involving other dogs.

Shirley Barnes: Animal rescue operator was ordered not to keep dogs at house in Belvedere after being found guilty of eight inoculation violations and an animal nuisance complaint.  Preston Sparks/Staff
Preston Sparks/Staff

Magistrate Judge Roger Edmonds ordered Shirley Barnes to serve 270 hours of community service and repay more than $1,800 in animal control boarding costs and other fees.

"It's come to an end," the judge told Ms. Barnes, who was found guilty of eight inoculation violations and one animal nuisance charge involving two dozen dogs at a home on Audubon Circle in Belvedere. "You've had way too many dogs at your property."

The dogs -- 20 that were grown and four puppies -- were picked up last week by Aiken County animal control officials because of neighbor complaints about barking and foul odors, the judge said.

Ms. Barnes' citations dated to June 22, when it was reported that some of her dogs got loose in the neighborhood.

Judge Edmonds said the dogs were part of an animal rescue operation Ms. Barnes runs called Hearts for Animals. He said it wasn't the first time she had faced citations, and she was told in December to no longer keep dogs at the home.

On Tuesday, Judge Edmonds again told Ms. Barnes that she is to have no more dogs at the Audubon Circle home. He agreed to allow 10 of the 24 dogs seized to be turned over to a boarding home in Edgefield, where they can either be adopted or returned to Ms. Barnes if she finds a suitable location. The other dogs will remain at animal control.

"Everybody who knows me knows those dogs wouldn't harm anybody," Ms. Barnes said. She said she has done everything she could to keep the dogs and the community safe.

Ms. Barnes said the dogs at animal control would be available for adoption and she pleaded for the public to respond.

The weekend attack in Augusta at a home on Belair Road left Damien Chavous in critical condition. Authorities say the child got over a fence and into the yard, where he was mauled by four dogs. On Tuesday, Richmond County sheriff's investigators arrested his mother on child cruelty charges.

Reach Preston Sparks at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110, or preston.sparks@augustachronicle.com.

getalife
getalife 07/15/09 - 08:16 am
People should not be allowed

People should not be allowed to operate an animal rescue facility out of their house. Counties should have certain requirements and restrictions to be able to operate these type facilities.

froggy1
froggy1 07/15/09 - 12:48 pm
well said!

well said!

DEADEYEDICK
DEADEYEDICK 07/15/09 - 09:38 pm
THIS WOMAN BELONGS IN JAIL

THIS WOMAN BELONGS IN JAIL SHE HAS A LONG 15 YEAR HISTORY WITH HER PACK OF WILD DOGS AND CATS.

Please note Shirley Andrews AKA Shirley Barnes her dogs have attacked before.

I THINK HER DOGS DRAGGED THAT CHILD UNDER THE FENCE

someonewhoknows1
someonewhoknows1 07/16/09 - 12:05 am
You also have to have a

You also have to have a suitable environment for a rescue facility.It should not reek of urine.And should not be in a residential neighborohood.

Hearts for Animals
Hearts for Animals 07/16/09 - 10:31 pm
For everyones

For everyones information...you may not agree for a rescue or animal foster care to work from there home,but in fact it is happening all of the country. THere is another rescue 6 houses down on the other side of the street from my house..what is the difference between her house and mine...at least mine does have a privacy fence...there is no difference...only that she fosters for a rescue and they obtain their animals from Aiken County Animal Control....so what is the difference? Why should I have been persecuted...when she is not? All it takes is one bullying neighbor to start the ball rolling and that is what happend in SC..as for the other house....it is far more complicated than I can tell here..but I did what I had to do..but still the dogs were well cared for and not responsible for the careless acts of the adults next door. You all have not idea...how this has affected my life...my children's,my grandchildren...and every one who accepts abandoned animals out there...now is in jeaopardy. My dogs were destroyed today,not because they weren't being cared for...but because they were on monthly meds and animal control refused to keep them just a few more days

Hearts for Animals
Hearts for Animals 07/17/09 - 06:27 pm
If you have not seen my house

If you have not seen my house or my yard...how do you know that it wasn't suitable...and if it was not right for me to do it...why is it ok for a neighbor 6 houses down to do the same thing? If it is ok...to discriminate against me...then no one should be able to have more than the neighbor will allow to be there...what should that number be....one maybe or two....even at that...their would be a lot of unhappy people living in Belvedere if that was made an ordinance.

someonewhoknows1
someonewhoknows1 07/17/09 - 08:37 pm
Anyone who sees the comments

Anyone who sees the comments made by hearts for animals needs to look at the comment made by DEADEYEDICK to see the real truth about how hearts for animals operates. http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/052399/met_207-5836.000.shtml http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/060499/met_207-5905.000.shtml I

pet person
pet person 07/18/09 - 06:31 am
The bottom line in all this

The bottom line in all this is why are people not looking after their animals. Do not get an animal unless you can afford to look after it for it's life span. Get it spayed and neutured - that's basic. Ms Barnes was doing her best to right a terrible situation in this area. Civilised people look after the pet they have, which means shelter, food ,water and getting them fixed.

Hearts for Animals
Hearts for Animals 10/22/09 - 10:08 pm
They took 20 dogs and 4

They took 20 dogs and 4 puppies from my home....all were under a vets care,5 had just been spay neutered in May,my yard was clean and my house was for sale..in order for agents to show it,it had to be kept clean. I had a privacy fence around the yard. The rescue down the street admittedly at 42 huskey puppies rescued from a puppy mill. I took care of my animals. When several shots lapsed just 2 months before that horrible day it was simply a decision I had to make...get them fixed or get the shots...it only cost $15 for the SPCA to do it and it includes a rabies shot...but then I had to go up there 2 times that day,they ate pedigree and were given spot on flea meds...how could anyone say I wasn't taking care of them...The final fine was $4500....who can say that was justice..plus 9 dogs were killed immediately when I was promised they would be adopted out. There is much more to this story...and it started with a bully neighbor who shot at my dogs with a bb gun.