Wreck victim wants to thank mystery 'hero'

Gasping for air as the seat belt of her wrecked SUV held hard against her chest, Barbara Inglett believed her last breaths were only moments away.

Then she heard the eight words she'll never forget: "I'm going to get you out of here."

The man did, pushing aside broken glass as he slid through a window into her Chevy Blazer, which had come to rest on its roof after being T-boned by a truck Saturday morning at Lewiston Road and Interstate 20 in Grovetown. Mrs. Inglett calls this man her hero, her angel.

She would like to call him by his name, but she doesn't know it.

By the time she had reoriented herself, the man was nowhere to be found. She wants to thank him.

"My feeling is that this is a hero that needs to be recognized, that he saved my life," said Mrs. Inglett, who suffered bruises and cuts on her upper body and arms.

According to a Columbia County Sheriff's Office accident report, her SUV was hit on the right passenger side by a truck turning left onto Lewiston Road from the I-20 westbound exit ramp. The accident report states that Mrs. Inglett ran a red light, which she disputes, and she was cited for failure to obey a traffic-control device.

The driver of the truck, Francisco Acahua, of Martinez, was cited for not stopping at the scene of an accident, trying to remove/conceal the license plate and not having proof of insurance.

Mrs. Inglett was heading to work at Hair Ways, a salon on Columbia Road. While she was trapped, Mrs. Inglett recalls pleading with her rescuer to get her out and him promising her that he would.

Others at the scene were telling him not to do so, she said, to wait for the ambulance to get there. Mrs. Inglett thinks that might be why the man didn't stick around, for fear that he did something wrong.

Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Scott Gay said as a general rule it's best not to move people hurt in an auto accident unless they are facing imminent danger. Shifting their position could cause more damage if they have a spinal cord injury.

"If the vehicle is not on fire, then the best thing is to leave them in that position," Lt. Gay said.

For her part, Mrs. Inglett is thankful that this man -- who she could only describe as a black man in his mid-20s -- followed his heart. She's certain about what would have happened if he hadn't.

"In some cases, my neck could have been broken. Maybe it was the wrong thing to do," she said. "But in this case ... I'm telling you, if that man didn't have the determination to rescue me, I don't know if I'd be here. I believe that from my heart."

Reach Mike Wynn at (706) 823-3218 or mike.wynn@augustachronicle.com.

jsherrill
jsherrill 07/15/09 - 01:37 am
It is good to still see

It is good to still see people doing good as they see to do it. To see do good and do it not is sin. God bless you angel.

Mulanrouge25
Mulanrouge25 07/15/09 - 03:23 am
Isn't God Great!! God bless

Isn't God Great!! God bless the both of them!!

bone
bone 07/15/09 - 04:37 am
great story with two parts:

great story with two parts: one, it's good to know that heros walk among us; and two, avoiding possible litigation means that you need to leave the scene of your good deed.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/15/09 - 04:46 am
To prevent this type of help

To prevent this type of help from passersby, the authorities will call it "vigilantism" or some such thing and litigation is still possible. I hope the hero remains a mystery for his own sake.

stovall st
stovall st 07/15/09 - 05:59 am
run boy..

run boy..

sailboss
sailboss 07/15/09 - 06:49 am
The "rescuer" here was

The "rescuer" here was certainly NOT a hero! Just an uninformed, untrained yahoo listening to the pleadings of an equally uninformed victim. The level of violence evident from the picture of the car in the background clearly shows that this woman was in great danger of having a severe spinal cord injury. All the thanks to God would have easily turned into vicious recriminations if in this "hero's" attempts to relieve discomfort, he had killed her. Nobody on that scene, including the victim could know the status of her spinal cord. That's why the trained people would have crawled in and immobilized her neck until definitive X-rays could be done.
I worked violent wrecks for 12 years in Columbia County on the Rescue Team. What this man did was foolish. And for the Chronicle to portray it as anything other than a foolish, unforgivably ignorant act is irresponsible.
Please, go to the medical and emergency community and get the real story. Publish on the front page what they tell you the right actions would have been. Otherwise, some other "hero" will emulate this action with horrible results.

Rebelbuyer
Rebelbuyer 07/15/09 - 07:05 am
Once again the medical

Once again the medical community trys to portray themselves as all knowing gods of the sick, injured and maimed. Are these the same clowns who routinely mis-diagnose diseases, along with the EMT's who assess and clear patients only to have that same person die hours later from a heart attack or stroke from the signs that they missed. The woman wanted out, this young man helped her, end of story. I believe Georgia has a Good Samaritan law which would've protected this young man.

DonH
DonH 07/15/09 - 07:07 am
What I got out of this is to

What I got out of this is to make your best call on an emergency situation and then disappear, just like the smart mystery benefactor did.

ImThatGuy
ImThatGuy 07/15/09 - 07:10 am
Sail, you are foolish! I

Sail, you are foolish! I don't care what your line of work is. God forbid had that been your mother, sister, or daughter in the same situation pleading for help in an overturn vehicle; would you have post the same. I think not! Imminent danger was present, an overturned 2 ton vehicle is more than enough reason to pull someone out. This guy placed his own life\safety in jeopardy thus makes him, not foolish but a hero. You may call it how YOU see it but God's eye's are a lot bigger then yours!

Retired LTC
Retired LTC 07/15/09 - 07:26 am
MoulanRouge....guess I missed

MoulanRouge....guess I missed the part where God had anything to do with this.

momma mia
momma mia 07/15/09 - 07:31 am
Like it or not, people,

Like it or not, people, sailboss is right. The "hero" had his heart in the right place, but the lady could have been much more seriously injured than she was, and if that had been the case, moving her could have had tragic consequences. Thank goodness it did not in this particular case.

soldout
soldout 07/15/09 - 07:55 am
Many times the Holy Spirit

Many times the Holy Spirit leads peple to do things and Holy Spirit is always right and always trying to save his children. Spritual wisdom always beats natural knowledge when there is a conflict.

bigfoot
bigfoot 07/15/09 - 08:00 am
Would you rather be injured

Would you rather be injured being removed from an over turned vehicle or burned alive with everyone standing there looking at you, afraid to act? Over turned vehicles have a bad habit of bursting into flames, once that happens there is not much anyone can do and not become a victim themselves. Waiting on emergency services to arrive can take an extremely long time, depending on the location and time of day. I'll take my chances on someone helping me as soon as possible. I don't think I would like to bleed to death of be burned alive when someone could have helped me. Common sense normally prevails!

Retired LTC
Retired LTC 07/15/09 - 08:34 am
Hmmm...thanks for trying to

Hmmm...thanks for trying to explain SOLDOUT, but still don't see where God had anything to do with this.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 07/15/09 - 08:39 am
Really? Really? I cant

Really? Really? I cant believe this is even a discussion. Im not a Doctor, but Im pretty sure if you have spinal chord damage you are going to know about it. Of course if the gas would have leaked out and caught fire on the hot exhaust or motor she would have been toast. How do you know this man wasnt a first responder? You dont have to be Dr, or EMT, to be trained in rescue. There are many of us out there and while others can sit idly by and not do anything there are those of us that look to help. What if it was your wife, or mother, or daughter trapped in a flipped vehicle?

bone
bone 07/15/09 - 08:48 am
sail & momma, thanks for

sail & momma, thanks for making my point.

prayingforthisworld
prayingforthisworld 07/15/09 - 08:51 am
Retired LTC - God is

Retired LTC - God is EVERYWHERE!! It's sad that you can't see that.

prayingforthisworld
prayingforthisworld 07/15/09 - 08:52 am
God Bless the man that

God Bless the man that followed his heart and helped save this lady. He will truly be blessed.

baynanny
baynanny 07/15/09 - 08:53 am
I too would like to say

I too would like to say "Thank you and God bless you" to the mystery hero who came to the aid of my precious sister. I am grateful that some people can appreciate seeing the love and mercy of God at work through others. I am also saddened to see that some are blind to God's mercy, love and compassion.
To Soldout, Amen! The Holy Spirit led that man to help my sister in her time of need. This man is the living proof of Psalm 37:23 "The steps of a righteous man are ordered by the Lord". No doubt that God sent him to her.
To answer your question Retired LTC, it was actually God who was her "first responder". You see sir, God was there in the Blazer with her as it was flipping time after time. It was He who was there to comfort her, bringing her peace is a scary situation. God kept the vechicle from igniting. He sent this mystery man to release her from the seatbelt that was making her breathing difficult and painful. He also sent a woman there to talk to my sister and comfort her with kind, gentle words of encouragement. So Retired, I say to you....I hope you are never in a situation of such desparation, but if you are, God will be there for you too.

Retired LTC
Retired LTC 07/15/09 - 09:06 am
Really appreciate everyone

Really appreciate everyone trying to explain. I think I got it now. So when there's an overturned vehicle God is there as "first responder". But when a priest is molesting little kids he isn't there because he's stopping vehicles from igniting or sending mystery men to unleash someone from an overturned vehicle. Sooo God chooses who gets his help and who doesn't. Kinda of like the lottery. Wait, you're going to quote something from the bible that explains the lottery thing. Sooooo why didn't God just stop her vehicle from overturning? Why go through the whole accident thing? BTW I'm glad Barb is fine and glad the U/I individual did what he did....but God had nothing to do with it.

What4
What4 07/15/09 - 09:10 am
Maybe it was angel.

Maybe it was angel.

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 07/15/09 - 09:14 am
Good Samaritan laws in the

Good Samaritan laws in the United States are laws or acts protecting from liability those who choose to aid others who are injured or ill. They are intended to reduce bystanders' hesitation to assist, for fear of being sued or prosecuted for unintentional injury or wrongful death. Georgia has this law. If you feel someone is in imminent danger you can try to remove them. This guy thought he was doing the right thing. This woman thinks so too. That's between her and her rescuer. Quit being ignorant and hateful. This man thought about another person before himself. You could all learn a lesson from his actions!!!!

DewHickies
DewHickies 07/15/09 - 09:21 am
I agree. It was a Guardian

I agree. It was a Guardian Angel. Human or spiritual, it was an angel.

Shakey Shears

sailboss
sailboss 07/15/09 - 09:21 am
Here's the real point. She

Here's the real point. She Was NOT seriously hurt, or in imminent danger, just uncomfortable! Waiting until the right trained people got there WAS the right response. As for all the GOD talk. It is totally inappropriate.
The car was not on fire, or sliding down a cliff people! Just upside down.
And the heart is not the organ to do your thinking with!
If you really care, go take a course and get the training that's available so you can be a real help!
As for the boob who thinks a person with a spinal cord injury would necessarily know about it. Wrong again, jocko!
Before we had science and knew better, all we had were GODS, and people died in droves! Now we know better. Pray if you wish, but hand me a cervical collar anyday!

bone
bone 07/15/09 - 09:26 am
the car was "just upside

the car was "just upside down." if i am ever uncomfortable in a car that is just upside down after an accident, i hope someone is nice enough not to wait for the cervical collar and go ahead and pull me out so i'll be right side up.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 07/15/09 - 09:32 am
God bless the man for the

God bless the man for the good in his heart that he put into action and for the woman wanting to thank him, but I think it is wise to learn from sailboss' experience. I had mixed feelings about what the man did, for the very reasons sailboss informed us about. I appreciate his or her input. I am glad this time there was no harm done and we've learned something from it.

HHSgrad
HHSgrad 07/15/09 - 09:34 am
Amen Bone!!

Amen Bone!!

jack
jack 07/15/09 - 09:45 am
Has the driver of the truck

Has the driver of the truck got his green card? Seems he ain't got anything else.

augnewsgirl09
augnewsgirl09 07/15/09 - 09:52 am
If I was in that situation

If I was in that situation and pleading for help, I would certainly want someone to help me out.

baynanny
baynanny 07/15/09 - 10:33 am
I respectfully disagree with

I respectfully disagree with you Sail: Here is the REAL point of the article. I spoke with my sister (Barbara) on the phone last night and she told me about the story that would be in today's paper. Her intention were threefold: (1) note the license plate she is holding. The point here is to give God the glory He is due. (2) To say "Thank you" to the man who came to her aid that was gone before she realized he left the scene. She did tell him over and over "bless you" as he reassured her he would free her from the seatbelt. (3) to try and find wittnesses to the accident who can clarify the other driver ran the light, not her. The article is not to spark debate over God, cervical collars or science...but to show appreciation to a man who deserves to receongized for his heroism and to find someone to shed light on the real cause of the accident.