3 teens charged in Augusta man's slaying

Three 16-year-olds arrested for the July 3 murder of an Augusta man had planned to distract him with a striptease, then rob him, police said Tuesday.

Back | Next
Felton  Special
Special
Felton

Brandon Steplight was arrested Monday at his home on Langdon Drive and is being charged as an adult with one count of murder, according to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office news release. Mr. Steplight's girlfriend, Cassiettia Jacinta Felton, also was arrested and charged as an adult with murder.

Charles Nehemiah Cary was arrested Tuesday at his suburban Atlanta home in Lithonia by the DeKalb County Sheriff's Office. He also will be charged as an adult with murder.

In an e-mail, Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Scott Peebles said authorities believe the three planned to rob 30-year-old Miguel Hernandez and other men at Mr. Hernandez's home on Fox Trace Drive. Ms. Felton was to perform a striptease to distract the men while Mr. Steplight and Mr. Cary slipped in through the back and robbed them. The teens did try to enter the back door but found it locked. They knocked on the front and had the victim come outside.

Mr. Hernandez was shot in the chest during the robbery attempt, Lt. Peebles said.

Investigators searched the home of Mr. Cary's brother, Carl McCline, where they believe the robbery was planned, the e-mail said. They found two guns, and Mr. McCline was charged with two counts of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Though investigators believe Mr. McCline knew of the incident, they do not have evidence that he participated in the attempted robbery and murder and said he was not charged with them.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

O_O
O_O 07/15/09 - 03:16 am
Sickening.

Sickening.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/15/09 - 03:39 am
These folks will discover

These folks will discover that one shouldn't cross Ms. Wright.

crackertroy
crackertroy 07/15/09 - 08:36 am
I'm glad they went after

I'm glad they went after them, it seems usually these kids just get away because of all the extra paper work that has to be done in order to prosecute them. I'm sure they were counting on that when Hernandez was shot. Awful, awful story.

freespeech
freespeech 07/15/09 - 08:44 am
They are too lazy to work -

They are too lazy to work - only interested in stealing from others and killing them if necessary, and then try to place blame on "society" cause "it ant our fault, we is poor".

Javital
Javital 07/15/09 - 08:47 am
omg!!! my prayers are with

omg!!! my prayers are with the family, Justice will be served!!!!

melzbelz
melzbelz 07/15/09 - 09:03 am
I know this is a the least of

I know this is a the least of her problems, but what kind of boyfriend suggests that his girlfriend get nakie for another man so that he can rob him???

mad_max
mad_max 07/15/09 - 10:25 am
I expect Cassiettia Jacinta

I expect Cassiettia Jacinta isn't too bright and it probably doesn't take too much effort to talk her out of her clothes....or anything else. That is why she is running around with a thieving little scumbag punk like Brandon. Try all of them as adults for murder and put them where the sun don't shine for life. If somone knocks on your door and you are not expecting company, take your pistol to the door with you and be ready. I always have my pistol in hand behind my back when I answer an unexpected knock on the door. Come try that crap with me Brandon. The story here would have a completely different headline. I keep telling you folks, better to be a live defendant than a dead victim.

jack
jack 07/15/09 - 10:49 am
AMEn Max! Put these punks

AMEn Max! Put these punks away for life without parole-let big bubba/sistuh have them.

augrichgal
augrichgal 07/15/09 - 02:55 pm
throw them in and throw away

throw them in and throw away the key! So stupid and such disregard for human life! Sorry for their parents, but more so for the VICTIM'S FAMILY.

dmnyankee
dmnyankee 07/16/09 - 12:16 am
I know her, and I will agree

I know her, and I will agree with Max. Being a part of a robbery doesn't surprise me but being a part of a murder does, but I'm sometimes to optimistic about these things. Do the crime, do the time. I hope they all get the book thrown at them.