Car rams into pickup, home in Martinez

A Monday-morning wreck ended with a Mercedes-Benz poking into the dining room of a Martinez home.

Perren Stapp, of the 3600 block of Bay Pointe in Martinez, was traveling on Stagecoach Way when his vehicle hit two mailboxes, crossed the street and hit a Dodge pickup parked in front of a mailbox, then crossed the street again and hit a house in the 700 block, said Columbia County sheriff's Deputy Greg Kernaghan.

"The damage punctured into the inside of the house," Deputy Kernaghan said.

"The left-front corner of the Mercedes was in the dining room."

The man in the Dodge Dakota, Donnie Thurmond, 39, of Augusta, had to be cut from the vehicle.

He was treated at Medical College of Georgia Hospital and released, an MCG spokeswoman said.

The driver of the truck, Andrew Rowe, 53, was trying to collect his mail when he was struck by Mr. Stapp.

"They were non-life-threatening," Deputy Kernaghan said of the men's injuries. "They were just beat up and banged up."

The deputy said he is unsure what caused the wreck because Mr. Stapp, 18, has no memory of the incident.

"Witnesses said he was not speeding prior to the first impact (with the mailbox)," Deputy Kernaghan said. "We don't know if the accelerator got hung up or if he put his foot on the accelerator, but that's when he sped up and went out of control."

Mr. Stapp was cited for failure to maintain lane.

Reach Donnie Fetter at (706) 863-6165 or donnie.fetter@augustachronicle.com.

Nammy3
Nammy3 07/14/09 - 12:39 am
Have they checked cell phone

Have they checked cell phone records, if he has a phone? Could he possibly have had a seizure? To zig, then zag, and then zig again...something had to have been going on. I suppose, anyone involved is darn lucky!

justus4
justus4 07/14/09 - 02:33 am
Man, is this funny or what?

Man, is this funny or what? The driver had no "memory" of the accident and its reported as something of a fact. Who cares if he remembers? LOOK at the damages! Talk about a sanitized version of events. Wow! And he was cited for "failure to maintain lane" Ha! Where is the charge of tampering & damaging postal route collection devices?

omnomnom
omnomnom 07/14/09 - 04:31 am
justus, you are beyond

justus, you are beyond rediculous

usnvet
usnvet 07/14/09 - 05:07 am
People in Columbia county who

People in Columbia county who drive Mercedes-Benzes obviously aren't questioned. Their word is good enough. "No Memory" means he has buddies at the CC Sheriffs office who will cover for him.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 07/14/09 - 05:18 am
usnvet - you are just as

usnvet - you are just as unbelieveable as justus4

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/14/09 - 05:22 am
Except for the last sentence,

Except for the last sentence, I think justus4 has nailed it. This sanitized report is definitely suspicious.

snap1089
snap1089 07/14/09 - 06:02 am
I definitely agree. Should be

I definitely agree. Should be further investigated..

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/14/09 - 06:03 am
Wow i'm gonna try that one

Wow i'm gonna try that one next time i'm driving under the influence of something, they don't even mention that he was checked or if it was a factor at all. I wonder if that only works in Columbia County. Failure to maintain lane is a joke.

andywarhol
andywarhol 07/14/09 - 06:20 am
How do you know he doesn't

How do you know he doesn't have an underlying medical condition that he has yet to discover? He could've had an unexplainable black out. They need to send his butt to be examined. I've suffered from vertigo and always worried I spell would hit me while driving and I'd get into an accident like this.

usnvet
usnvet 07/14/09 - 06:32 am
It's a scam. No mention of a

It's a scam. No mention of a blood or breath test? This is the son of a CCSD officer or county official I bet. "no memory" of the incident my @#%^$&@...

augusta49
augusta49 07/14/09 - 06:57 am
Actually, his Dad is a foot

Actually, his Dad is a foot and ankle doctor. But, I think that it's terrible that NO blood or breath test was done, and ALL he got was failure to maintain lane. After hurting those people and damaging property! Also, under one of the pictures, it said that the home was damaged in Westlake....but yet the article says that the home damaged was on Stagecoach. Unless I'm reading it wrong. And, was he driving a Mercedes?? It was kind of hard to tell by the way the article was written.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/14/09 - 07:03 am
I have to agree with Andy.

I have to agree with Andy. We are so quick to think the worse. It's possible this boy has some medical condition that caused him to black out. The witnesses said he wasn't speeding and I believe if he had been on the phone when he first hit the two mailboxes he would have stopped before hitting a truck, another mailbox and person, and then plowing into a house. Although no mention of a blood or breath test, I'm sure one was given, especially since the boy was 18.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 07/14/09 - 07:03 am
Some times accidents do

Some times accidents do happen. You people act like you never ran off the road before?

dani
dani 07/14/09 - 07:10 am
He could have fallen asleep.

He could have fallen asleep. Was it early inn the morning.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 07/14/09 - 07:25 am
A Dude? In a drop top? He was

A Dude? In a drop top? He was probably checking his make-up.

puddeecat
puddeecat 07/14/09 - 07:35 am
What the hell is an 18 year

What the hell is an 18 year old doing driving that kind of car??

leoswife
leoswife 07/14/09 - 08:07 am
I had to re-read the

I had to re-read the article...nowhere in there did it say he didn't have a blood test to check for alcohol or drugs....and, they can add charges if they need to. What a bunch of negative people we have here!

augusta49
augusta49 07/14/09 - 08:13 am
Well, I guess it's pretty

Well, I guess it's pretty hard to imagine a person who hurts those people, then damages a house...and ALL he has been charged with is failure to maintain lane. If YOU were one of the ones that he hit, or YOU had relatives that he hit....wouldn't you want him charged with more than "failure to maintain lane"????????????????????

calihali
calihali 07/14/09 - 08:43 am
If you Richmond County

If you Richmond County residents are so envious of Columbia County residents (you reveal it in your comments) why don't you move to Columbia County? Your resentment is so obvious!

hubesquared
hubesquared 07/14/09 - 09:05 am
To all of you who are so very

To all of you who are so very quick to judge: I know this young man and his family. If something were amiss, they would take full responsibility. The report has not been "sanitized". The young man's personal car is a truck. The one involved in the accident belongs to his parents.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/14/09 - 09:25 am
Andy you're in a permanent

Andy you're in a permanent state of vertigo sweetheart...LOL

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/14/09 - 09:26 am
Oh OK, the bias friend. Look

Oh OK, the bias friend. Look no further.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/14/09 - 09:27 am
Don't worry his inshounce

Don't worry his inshounce will cover everything!

What4
What4 07/14/09 - 09:37 am
Moral of the story..park your

Moral of the story..park your car in the driveway and walk to your mailbox. I can't tell you how many times I see similar incidents about to happen. One yahoo is too lazy to walk back to the box, pulls up to the box going the wrong way in his lane, leans out to try to reach the box..oops, hits accelerator.

sueboo418
sueboo418 07/14/09 - 09:42 am
WOW!!! So quick to judge.

WOW!!! So quick to judge. I am glad to know that there are so many PERFECT people around here.

concernedperson
concernedperson 07/14/09 - 10:02 am
OK, people need to be a

OK, people need to be a LITTLE BIT MORE SENSATIVE to things that happen... It does sound like something was imparing this boys driving due to circumstances that HE COULD NOT CONTROL.... Not to long ago, I had a carwreck that caused me to BLACK OUT while driving and I flipped my car, at this accident I was also charged with FAILURE TO MAINTAIN LANES.... Both the boy and I were VERY lucky that we did not do any more damage than what happened.

usnvet
usnvet 07/14/09 - 10:06 am
concernedperson...I`m pretty

concernedperson...I`m pretty shocked that you were even able to log in to write that ridiculous, stupid attempt at a paragraph. Everyone here is now dumber for having tried to read that!

usnvet
usnvet 07/14/09 - 10:11 am
I guess rich people have

I guess rich people have "seizures" when they wreck and poor people get drug tested and breathalyzed. I don't care if the guy had an arrow sticking out of his head...HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN DRUG AND ALCHOHOL TESTED AFTER THIS ACCIDENT!!!!!

sueboo418
sueboo418 07/14/09 - 10:19 am
usnvet you need to be checked

usnvet you need to be checked so see if you have a heart!!!!! I have excellent spelling skills but I understood what concernedperson was trying to say. There are NO certain qualifications as far as grammar or spelling to make comments other than foul language.

jack
jack 07/14/09 - 10:25 am
Mony talks and BS walks. I'm

Mony talks and BS walks. I'm betting he was on a cell phone or was drunk.