Nude sunbathers surprise officer

While searching Thursday afternoon for a stray dog in an Appling graveyard, a Columbia County Animal Care and Control officer came across an unexpected sight: a man and woman sunbathing in the nude.

"I was a little shocked," Animal Control officer Russell Swann said. "I was expecting to see a dog out there."

Animal Control had received a call from a member of Solid Rock Baptist Church on Scotts Ferry Road saying someone had abandoned a dog on the church's property.

Mr. Swann said he first searched in the front side of the property. As he rounded a corner to the back side of the church, he encountered the naked backsides of the couple stretched out at the edge of the church graveyard.

"When I walked back there, there was two naked people and the dog sitting right beside them," he said. "As soon as they saw me, they started throwing clothes on."

Mr. Swann said he called his dispatcher, who in turn called police.

"I was a little freaked out," he said. "I pulled my vehicle behind theirs so they couldn't get out and waited for a sheriff's deputy."

A deputy gave the couple a warning and let them go, Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said.

During his three years working with Animal Control, Mr. Swann said, he has never come across anything similar to what he experienced Thursday.

"That was definitely a first for me," he said.

Reach Donnie Fetter at (706) 863-6165 or donnie.fetter@augustachronicle.com.

FedupwithAUG
FedupwithAUG 07/11/09 - 03:11 am
I don’t understand the big

I don’t understand the big deal. These people should charge the animal control officer of false imprisonment for blocking their car in.

wildman
wildman 07/11/09 - 06:22 am
I think I would find a better

I think I would find a better place but not sure who they were hurting, just leave them alone.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/11/09 - 06:40 am
Mr. Swann sounds like Barny

Mr. Swann sounds like Barny Fife to me. It's a wonder he didn't throw that net dogcathers use over them.

AugustaRaider
AugustaRaider 07/11/09 - 06:58 am
This is news?

This is news?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/11/09 - 07:26 am
Animal Control dispatcher to

Animal Control dispatcher to Russell, "Calm down and tell me whatcha got again."...Russell to dispatcher, "10-4, I said I caught me some nekkid people behind the Solid Rock Church." Dispatcher, "Russell is that the Baptist church in Appling?" Russell, "Yup." Dispatcher, "Are they white folks?" Russell, "They're laying in the sun...whatcha think?" Dispatcher, "Are they members of the church?" Russell, "Dang it, I don't know, they're nekkid." Dispatcher, "Well are they Baptists?" Russell, "%$#@*." Dispatcher, "What do you want me to do?" Russell, "Get me some help out here fast before they ram my truck and get away. Doggone it, they done got their clothes back on already."

CKB
CKB 07/11/09 - 07:37 am
Oh my gosh!!!! Mr. Swan must

Oh my gosh!!!! Mr. Swan must have seen something he has never seen before!!!! What a crime that must have been. Please Mr. Swan, please tell us what harm was done to anyone? I am appalled sometimes at how stupid some "news" can be.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/11/09 - 07:40 am
This is from the Columbia

This is from the Columbia County Animal Control website. "PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: The Animal Care & Control Department is responsible for all animal control operations, including nuisance complaints, animal cruelty investigations, animal attacks, handling of rabid animals, dead animals, injured animals, the animal adoption program, and taking care of the animals at the Columbia County shelter." Think we ought to add rounding up nekkid folks?

DonH
DonH 07/11/09 - 07:49 am
There must be some place

There must be some place where people can go and be naked, without being harassed by others. The body needs to be aired out periodically!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/11/09 - 07:53 am
He blocked their car? What a

He blocked their car? What a fine citizen. I hope the couple knows where Swan lives so they can return the favor somehow.

Ih8cc
Ih8cc 07/11/09 - 08:23 am
Dang, theres some freaks in

Dang, theres some freaks in columbia county.

curly123053
curly123053 07/11/09 - 08:34 am
YAWN.......wake when it's

YAWN.......wake when it's over.....lol

edieed321
edieed321 07/11/09 - 08:40 am
Where's the photograph?

Where's the photograph?

heartablazing
heartablazing 07/11/09 - 08:43 am
What happened to the dog?

What happened to the dog?

lawyerdude
lawyerdude 07/11/09 - 08:45 am
Riverman1 - you could get a

Riverman1 - you could get a job as a comedy writer. That is funny - and creative.

life_is_a_gift
life_is_a_gift 07/11/09 - 08:55 am
I agree with AugustaRaider,

I agree with AugustaRaider, "This is news?"

chattie888
chattie888 07/11/09 - 09:02 am
its a wonder barney fife the

its a wonder barney fife the dog catcher didn't shoot these innocent people and claim that the guy had his weapon out.he needs to get a life.

ladyjanegrey
ladyjanegrey 07/11/09 - 09:05 am
slow day.....yawn

slow day.....yawn

slippery 25
slippery 25 07/11/09 - 09:12 am
What about the dog?

What about the dog?

suspicious1
suspicious1 07/11/09 - 09:32 am
Who sunbathes in a church

Who sunbathes in a church cemetary?

mommie2
mommie2 07/11/09 - 09:33 am
They were laying out in a

They were laying out in a graveyard? That's just straight weird.

Frank I
Frank I 07/11/09 - 09:37 am
Mr Swan to dispatcher "hurry

Mr Swan to dispatcher "hurry up, I got soma them thar heathins.. theysa runnin around nekkid in tha graveyard.. get tha shariff out heur quick.. I'mma use my truck to block 'em in so that caint get away" dispatcher thinks to self, "whatever barney, quit worryin about the pecker hangin out in the wind and get the stupid dog..."

WW1949
WW1949 07/11/09 - 09:43 am
Barney Swan, what a go. You

Barney Swan, what a go. You probably embarressed them enough. Why call the police you dumb azz. Turn around and leave so they can get a tan.

rufus
rufus 07/11/09 - 09:43 am
Maybe they wern't just

Maybe they wern't just sunbathing. Was the guy throwing off any shade?

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 07/11/09 - 10:14 am
I'll bet that they brought

I'll bet that they brought their dog with them to act as 'watch dog' to alert them to anyone sneaking up on them. It backfired on them though as it was BECAUSE of the dog that the animal control officer was sent out. Object lesson here is to leave your pets at home while nude sunbathing in a public place...... ;-)

Tots
Tots 07/11/09 - 10:27 am
They could be into

They could be into nekrofelia.

dashiel
dashiel 07/11/09 - 10:29 am
Is this Swann kin to the

Is this Swann kin to the Jefferson County Swann who recently assisted authorities by shooting a traffic violator who was fleeing across his pasture? Riverman, I think you might be onto a gold mine here. You might want to give it the title "Swann's Way" to attract the pseudo-intellectual market.

UrbanMeyerHater
UrbanMeyerHater 07/11/09 - 10:36 am
Swan, wanna be cop, best he

Swan, wanna be cop, best he can do is dogcatcher.

trucksareforgirlz
trucksareforgirlz 07/11/09 - 11:00 am
It must be getting really

It must be getting really crowded around the CSRA if the only place a couple can sunbathe in the nude is in a church cemetary. I agree with you DonH; sometimes a body needs a good airing out. lol

common-sense-justice
common-sense-justice 07/11/09 - 11:06 am
You people need to lay off

You people need to lay off the dog catcher !! After all, this was in a place that kids could have been, and it was in public. If these folks wanted to tan in the buff, let them go to a spot secluded...like thier own back yard. Had I walked up on something like this in a similar place, I too would have called the law. And no, I am not Barney Fife, just someone with sense enough to know this is wrong.

petewillis
petewillis 07/11/09 - 11:25 am
I heard they were from Africa

I heard they were from Africa and nude sunbathing in cemetarys is a common practice there. Even heard that was what obamoron and meshell were doing on their visit to the "continent"!