Man running from police shot by citizen

A Jefferson County man is in jail after shooting a suspect running from police in his backyard.

Back | Next
Andrew Newton Swan  Special
Special
Andrew Newton Swan

Andrew Newton Swan Sr., 56, of Wrens, is being held at the Jefferson County Jail pending a charge of aggravated assault, according to a Jefferson County Sheriff's Department news release. He shot Brian Santana Lane, 24, of Louisville, who was fleeing from police after eluding a traffic stop, authorities said.

Mr. Lane is in "guarded condition" at the Medical College of Georgia Hospital and Clinics.

Mr. Swan saw Mr. Lane climbing over his fence and running across a pasture beside his home Saturday afternoon when attempted to stop him by shooting at him.

Mr. Lane was on the run from Jefferson Sheriff's Department deputies who attempted to stop his vehicle after he illegally passed motorists around 2:55 p.m. Saturday. The chase exceeded speeds above 100 mph and ended when Mr. Lane stopped his vehicle near the intersection of Campground and Quaker road, about three miles east of Wrens. He left his female passenger behind in the vehicle.

Mr. Swan heard the sirens and soon noticed Mr. Lane entering his backyard. He was tending to his livestock when he attempted to stop Mr. Lane by chasing him with an all-terrain vehicle and firing shots at him.

Mr. Swan told police he yelled at the man several times to stop before firing the shot that struck Mr. Lane. He stopped a passing motorist and instructed him to call 911 after the shooting.

Shortly after, deputies arrived and remained until an ambulance arrived. Mr. Lane remains at MCG and will face several traffic charges upon release.

The female passenger was questioned Saturday but will not face any charges.

DEVGRU
DEVGRU 06/28/09 - 10:00 pm
TreyMilton, I'm not worried

TreyMilton, I'm not worried about everyone only the ones who don't have the sense to get out of the rain. Obviously you feel like the others and thats when someone comes on your property they can consider themselves dead. See you in prison hillbilly thinker.

christie
christie 06/28/09 - 10:58 pm
1677, why must you call Trey

1677, why must you call Trey a hillbilly thinker? You said that you will see him in prison so what are you in for?

christie
christie 06/28/09 - 11:01 pm
JOWILLIE, you seem to jump to

JOWILLIE, you seem to jump to conclusions way to fast. You have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

Holdem
Holdem 06/28/09 - 11:30 pm
What if Lane continues onto

What if Lane continues onto Swan's home and harms his family?Good job Andrew!Were pulling for ya.......................

dannyfordsux
dannyfordsux 06/29/09 - 12:18 am
oh come on folks! wah wah

oh come on folks! wah wah wah!! what if the running fugitive grabbed some kid... My cousins wife was taking church collections to the bank when a fugitive grabbed her and locked her in the car trunk for days.. he almost killed her so don't give me that bs about fugitives!! I personaly would not kill him but I would use force if he was on my property

mable8
mable8 06/29/09 - 12:19 am
So you can't protect yourself

So you can't protect yourself anymore? Gee! Swan should not have been charged or arrested; the perp was guilty of criminal trespass and who knows what he would have done if he had made it into Swan's house! Jefferson Co needs to take another look at the real criminal--Lane.

sassygalady30
sassygalady30 06/29/09 - 03:44 am
mary,for u to sit in make so

mary,for u to sit in make so many comments.seem's you need to get a LIFE.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 06/29/09 - 06:54 am
I think everyone is getting

I think everyone is getting off point here, you can't assume thst he was the person the police was after and shoot him. A person has to be a threat for you to use deadly force. He was fleeing and was not threatning this man in any way. What if that had been an undercover policeman and he shot him? Everyone would be singing a different tune. He was fleeing a traffic offense not a murder, this was absolutely unacceptable behavior for a gun owner.

get.the.beam.out
get.the.beam.out 06/29/09 - 07:34 am
The law does not allow for a

The law does not allow for a private citizen to shoot under these circumstances. Check it out.

Jonas
Jonas 06/29/09 - 07:35 am
Mr. Swan did nothing wrong

Mr. Swan did nothing wrong and it was obvious that the police weren't going to catch Mr. Lane. Lane put people at risk with his driving. We need more people like Mr. Swan to let these thugs know that they will not be tolerated.
I just knew when saw the pictures that this one was going to be race related on here. The usual suspects are here. I guess Sanford and his conservative white values are no longer up for debate.
patrciathomas--resident racist
joe willie--he was running from the police. If Swan saw Lane and assumed because he was black he was running from the police then he was right because he was running from the police. It is people like Mr. Lane that make the rest of us look bad. You guys like to cry racism after the fact but right is right and wrong is wrong Lane was somewhere doing something that he had no business. Swan might be the most racist man in the world or he might not be but regardless this all falls on Lane. I am black and I wouldn't have lost any sleep if he would have killed him. People are always going to think the worst of us when clowns like him and these gangsta rappers/thugs are projected to represent our race.

message
message 06/29/09 - 07:36 am
To all you zealous white

To all you zealous white supremacist gun owner who think the second amendment will give you a get out of jail free card when you shot a unarmed colored man think again you are a coward and the last place you will not want to be is inside a jail with a thug,your gun rights want protect you then boy.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 06/29/09 - 08:30 am
as i black man i say thank

as i black man i say thank you mr. swan, he shouldn't have been running from the police, what happened if the thug would have tried to enter mr. swans home in order to hid or take someone hostage...you don't know and all he was doing was protecting his property

christie
christie 06/29/09 - 08:32 am
message, Give me a break.

message, Give me a break. It's you that train these kids that whites are bad people. Grow up. You are way to quick to judge people based on the color of their skin. Sounds like double standards to me.

Native007
Native007 06/29/09 - 09:16 am
SET HIM FREE!! I wish we

SET HIM FREE!! I wish we would all stand up against crime like this! Although the criminal was fleeing... Good thing the guy got shot!

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/29/09 - 09:56 am
Darn the tofu black. bean

Darn the tofu black. bean burger eating liberal. pinko commie bundle of sticks, go play "southern man" and get that tingle down your leg cause it just makes you feel good. to bash a white man. You are just to damn stupid to understand anything else, except what Hollywood and the media teaches you.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 06/29/09 - 10:00 am
Sad, but not surprised to see

Sad, but not surprised to see folks(potential jurors) would support such savagery. Mr. Swan wasn't in any danger.He should be tried and jailed, as any regular criminal. His act was cowardly and after his adjudication, put in a time machine and send him back to the 1800s!!!

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/29/09 - 10:21 am
RCR you are right this man

RCR you are right this man will be acquitted, people are tired of being victims to criminals. Maybe its okay in Augusta for someone to run through your yard while evading the police, but its not okay with me and my neighbors. The criminal made the wrong choice when he jumped Mr. Swans fence. The savage is Mr. Lane! If more people stood up, in Augusta, then the criminals wouldn't have so many places to hide.

Antlion
Antlion 06/29/09 - 10:28 am
Trey Milton, I don't live in

Trey Milton, I don't live in Wrens, or Jefferson County, but it's about time law abiding folks started standing up for their rights and quit letting criminals (running from the law) run over them and their neighbors........next time just drop him in his tracks and leave him there if the cops are gonna put you in jail for defending yourself, when you feel threatened.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 06/29/09 - 10:49 am
Trey aka Itdoc, you love to

Trey aka Itdoc, you love to hear yourself talk.Save the anti Augusta bull. The biggest problem most of you have with Richmond County, is you can't have your way. I live in a beautiful section of Richmond County and I love it. Crime is everywhere and an unfortunate burden on our society. But, this uncivilized action is uncalled for.I'm not surprised by your comments.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/29/09 - 10:49 am
Mr. Swan was just to honest

Mr. Swan was just to honest and cared about the man he shot. Instead of going back to the house and planting a knife, he went for help. Its obvious his intentions was not to kill the man, but to stop him from hurting others. Now he is arrested and charged, what type of message does that send out? I hope someone sets up a defense fund for Mr. Swan, I will be happy to make a donation.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 06/29/09 - 10:58 am
Hey Trey, he looks like he

Hey Trey, he looks like he needs more than a defense fund.Looks like you should start with a shave and a bath.You could probably get enough oil out of his hair to lube my car.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/29/09 - 10:59 am
RCR I am not ITDOC "the news

RCR I am not ITDOC "the news caster"! You recognize my name. I don't bash Richmond county or the people who live there. Yes crime is every where, just as you, I am fortunate enough not to live in a crime infested neighborhood. However, I feel for the unfortunate ones who have to live with crime on a daily basis. If the fortunate ones, like us, don't react to crime. Then we will be dealing with crime on a daily basis. Is that what you want? 0RCR I don't believe you are that naive.

perymason
perymason 06/29/09 - 11:10 am
RCR, he is a Paine College

RCR, he is a Paine College Professor, don't you recognize him?

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 06/29/09 - 11:18 am
Trey, nobody wants crime.But,

Trey, nobody wants crime.But, I have lived in cities that are far worst than Richmond County.Unfortunately, negativity sells news papers.I choose to live my life free from this kind of worry.Sure, I look out, but it's not my dominant thought.Too often is used to portrait my race in a negative light.It only feeds preconcieved notions.We often have beware of crime and preconcieved atttitudes. This form the basis for intolerance and racism. This guy acted on these assumptions.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/29/09 - 11:19 am
Can't, he doesn't have the

Can't, he doesn't have the Bow Tie on!

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 06/29/09 - 11:30 am
Hey Perymason, no, I don't

Hey Perymason, no, I don't recognize him. He probably was your professor at Three K State University.I see a lot of your classmates are on board.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/29/09 - 11:36 am
RCR you don't understand the

RCR you don't understand the mentality of farmers or those who live in rural areas. You don't go running on their land white or black. There are black land owners who would have done the same. This is not a racial issue!

perymason
perymason 06/29/09 - 11:58 am
To RCR, everything is

To RCR, everything is racist---just bame it on the white boogeyman!!!

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 06/29/09 - 11:58 am
Bull Trey,nothing has

Bull Trey,nothing has anything to do with race for y'all. The Civil Rights Movement, was just group of troublemakers for most of you.When dealing with too many of you, racism is the 800 pound elephant in the room. Self denial only fools yourself.The only time you acknowledge it, is when you feel victimized by it.

Royal & Ancient Golf Club at St. Andrews votes yes on female members

The Royal & Ancient Golf Club at St. Andrews has voted overwhelmingly to admit female members for the first time. The club, exclusively for men since it was founded in Scotland 260 years ago, ...