Man running from police shot by citizen

A Jefferson County man is in jail after shooting a suspect running from police in his backyard.

Back | Next
Andrew Newton Swan  Special
Special
Andrew Newton Swan

Andrew Newton Swan Sr., 56, of Wrens, is being held at the Jefferson County Jail pending a charge of aggravated assault, according to a Jefferson County Sheriff's Department news release. He shot Brian Santana Lane, 24, of Louisville, who was fleeing from police after eluding a traffic stop, authorities said.

Mr. Lane is in "guarded condition" at the Medical College of Georgia Hospital and Clinics.

Mr. Swan saw Mr. Lane climbing over his fence and running across a pasture beside his home Saturday afternoon when attempted to stop him by shooting at him.

Mr. Lane was on the run from Jefferson Sheriff's Department deputies who attempted to stop his vehicle after he illegally passed motorists around 2:55 p.m. Saturday. The chase exceeded speeds above 100 mph and ended when Mr. Lane stopped his vehicle near the intersection of Campground and Quaker road, about three miles east of Wrens. He left his female passenger behind in the vehicle.

Mr. Swan heard the sirens and soon noticed Mr. Lane entering his backyard. He was tending to his livestock when he attempted to stop Mr. Lane by chasing him with an all-terrain vehicle and firing shots at him.

Mr. Swan told police he yelled at the man several times to stop before firing the shot that struck Mr. Lane. He stopped a passing motorist and instructed him to call 911 after the shooting.

Shortly after, deputies arrived and remained until an ambulance arrived. Mr. Lane remains at MCG and will face several traffic charges upon release.

The female passenger was questioned Saturday but will not face any charges.

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/28/09 - 11:23 am
Further, if anything, he

Further, if anything, he probably did Lane a favor because in thug culture, a gunshot would is a symbol of honor and pride and respect. Thugs get respect for gunshot wounds, that's just the way it is. He'll be showing that thing to his homies all the way to death row.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/28/09 - 11:31 am
PM, from your posts today, I

PM, from your posts today, I suspect your last name is S.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/28/09 - 11:38 am
I might be poking fun at

I might be poking fun at somethings, but a man is in jail for protecting his civil rights. Its a shame that our government has more laws protecting the criminal, than a man tending to his livestock. This was not a domestic violence case, nor was it neighbors feuding. This is a case where a man felt threatened, and did not want himself or another to become a victim. How many times have criminals ran from the police and hurt others? Countless times people have been victims of kidnappings, carjackings, and other violent crimes, while criminals are running from the police. This man was justified in his actions. This man is a hero!

lilmace
lilmace 06/28/09 - 11:41 am
PretendMary, before you say

PretendMary, before you say that I am jumping into this blog late. Guess what? I am. Simply because I find your jokes about "rednecks" not only mean but hateful. If you're are as smart as you claim to be, you should know that "poking fun" at people you do not understand is only showing your ignorance. If you travel south on #1 you get to Louisville after Wrens, then Swainsboro, then Lyons, etc.......Far enough and you are in the great state of Florida. They accept new residents daily. Get my drift?

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/28/09 - 11:52 am
PM just has a visit from Aunt

PM just has a visit from Aunt Flow, and needs to rant. That has to be her excuse, for the rambling post. Darn you Van Love your un-humorous postings are rubbing off.

SusieQ
SusieQ 06/28/09 - 12:04 pm
Please edit your article

Please edit your article AC--Mr. Swan heard the nearby sirens and soon notice "MR. LANE" entering his backyard. "MR. LANE" remains at MCG. They have Mr. Swan in Jail!! But I wonder why-- this man should not be in jail!!! SusieQ

Nammy3
Nammy3 06/28/09 - 12:07 pm
SQ-I hit the ! on your post

SQ-I hit the ! on your post to be sure the webmaster gets your message.....you're ever so welcome. If you get banned, I did it....lol.

gibsoncowgirl
gibsoncowgirl 06/28/09 - 12:33 pm
First let's not fool

First let's not fool ourselves; who runs from a simple traffic violation? The girlfriend was also arrested. Passengers are not arrested in traffic violations. So what are we not being told? Could there be drugs involved? What was someone from Louisville doing traveling at such high speeds in that area of Jefferson County;it is way off the beaten path? As a concerned citizen of Jefferson County, my speculations are endless. Unfortunately narrow minds will concern themselves with the rights of a habitual violator-Lane has been previously incarcerated-instead of having some compassion for a law abiding citizen that in a moment of urgency took action. Do I wish Mr. Swan had shot him in the leg instead of the head, yes, because the cost of medical care for this criminal if he survives will be the burden of law abiding taxpayers and a head injury is much more than a leg injury especially if we have to take care of vegetable. And now we have the burden of two trials, Mr Swan and Mr Lane, again an unnecessary expense. Mr. Swan acted impulsively but his reasons were justifiable. Mr. Lane acted carelessly and now even the innocent will pay the price.

mooseye
mooseye 06/28/09 - 12:37 pm
Ok, first, if the LEO had

Ok, first, if the LEO had shot this dude, obviously in the back, they would be being raked across the coals by the "Public". I read "chase" on and ATV. This Lane cat must be pretty fast. If you are chasing someone, you must, by all rights, be behind them. I am not familiar with the law regarding force allowed to chase someone off my property, but I don't think shooting was the correct method in this case. Suppose the victim of the shooting was also running from the criminal. How exactly did Mr. Swan know this. I know you will come back with the protecting life and property wedge, but I don't usually fear for my life from someone I am chasing on foot with and ATV. ) I was so scared I ran him down and shot him( does not seem like it will be a good defense. I am not supporting Mr. Lane, just general common sense.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/28/09 - 12:39 pm
Good Post Cowgirl! w00t for

Good Post Cowgirl! w00t for the ATV riding gun toting heroes

andywarhol
andywarhol 06/28/09 - 12:42 pm
I'm going to ask again: Why

I'm going to ask again: Why was the attorney, who was outside of the bank, allowed to fire shots at the robber, who was leaving the scene and not posing a threat to the attorney, but this man is arrested?

Rose
Rose 06/28/09 - 12:59 pm
gibson the girlfriend was not

gibson the girlfriend was not arrested.

Rose
Rose 06/28/09 - 01:01 pm
Maybe the attorney was not

Maybe the attorney was not arrested because he missed his target.

perymason
perymason 06/28/09 - 01:06 pm
Hear sirens, see perp jump MY

Hear sirens, see perp jump MY fence,does he have a gun?, Yell for him to stop, perceived threat??? Hell yes, it's "pop a cap in his azz time" Too bad Swanny's aim was a little off. Now we will pay for the perps med care instead of his family paying the undertaker

corgimom
corgimom 06/28/09 - 01:19 pm
Hey AC, I'll volunteer to be

Hey AC, I'll volunteer to be your proofreader. Who edited this, anyway?

corgimom
corgimom 06/28/09 - 01:31 pm
The bad part about it is that

The bad part about it is that now Mr. Swan is going to have to pay big bucks for an attorney. One for the criminal charge and one for the civil suit that Brian Lane will file against him.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 06/28/09 - 01:40 pm
So a man is running across

So a man is running across YOUR property, you've heard sirens, you tell him to stop and you fire at him on YOUR property. So what's with the shooter being charged with aggravated assault? What has happened to our country that criminals have all the rights and citizens have none? We'd better wake up or we'll all be labeled as some kind of criminal for some unknown "crime"..
"i believe in the right to bear arms and all... but this is just stupid. let the police do their own work and stick to the livestock Mr. Swan" According to the story the man was on Swan's property, instant trespass and he didn't stop when warned.
"Andrew newton Swan is an American idiot" - who are you "pretending" to be Mary, an American citizen?

jack
jack 06/28/09 - 01:56 pm
Teresspassin' in GA can get

Teresspassin' in GA can get you shot. Let the man out of jail and give him a medal.

JoeWillie
JoeWillie 06/28/09 - 02:36 pm
Everybody knows the real

Everybody knows the real reason why Swan shot lane... Swan shot him because he is a White racist gun nut and lane is Black. If lane had been White, Swan would never have assumed that he was running from the police... This is the type of flawed logic that racism produces... If we American occupiers have a right to shoot anyone who trespass on private property, then i guess the Native Americans have a right to bust a cap in all of our asses...

Ode
Ode 06/28/09 - 02:42 pm
Mr. Swan should be given the

Mr. Swan should be given the keys to the city of Wrens and have a parade thrown in his honor. A thug was trespassing on his property and didn't stop after repeated warnings so he got shot. If you don't want to get shot then don't break the law.

gibsoncowgirl
gibsoncowgirl 06/28/09 - 02:55 pm
Rose on the news last night

Rose on the news last night it was stated she was arrested and released. I did not only depend on the AC for my info. JoeWillie congrats on jumping up to make this a racial issue, shows how narrow minded you are. Yours was probably the most ridiculous thus far! Do you know Mr. Swan? Do you know his views on racial issues? I think not. Don't be so quick to judge. If someone was obviously running thorough your property, being pursued by the law, you wouldn't be concerned with the safety of your family and property no matter the color of their skin?

perymason
perymason 06/28/09 - 04:24 pm
joewillie, your ignorant name

joewillie, your ignorant name says it all!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/28/09 - 05:35 pm
Is this one of those "no good

Is this one of those "no good deed goes unpunished" things?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/28/09 - 05:50 pm
joewillie, I see the flawed

joewillie, I see the flawed logic of racism in every bit of your 2:36 post.

Rose
Rose 06/28/09 - 06:40 pm
gibson she was questioned.

gibson she was questioned. Not arrested.I do not only depend on AC for my info.

LaTwon
LaTwon 06/28/09 - 07:23 pm
yes we cant..........

yes we cant..........

perymason
perymason 06/28/09 - 08:18 pm
my motto is "shoot to kill"!

my motto is "shoot to kill"!

sassygalady30
sassygalady30 06/28/09 - 08:23 pm
mary seems to me u have to

mary seems to me u have to much time on ur hands..u need to get LIFE..UR CHILDISH AS HE**

sassygalady30
sassygalady30 06/28/09 - 08:24 pm
oh n thats get a life ..if u

oh n thats get a life ..if u couldn't understand the last mess.

perymason
perymason 06/28/09 - 08:57 pm
The mug shot of Mr Swan looks

The mug shot of Mr Swan looks like a college professor to me, how about you Sassy, we "ain't" texting----it doesn't cost you to spell out the word!