Man running from police shot by citizen

A Jefferson County man is in jail after shooting a suspect running from police in his backyard.

Back | Next
Andrew Newton Swan  Special
Special
Andrew Newton Swan

Andrew Newton Swan Sr., 56, of Wrens, is being held at the Jefferson County Jail pending a charge of aggravated assault, according to a Jefferson County Sheriff's Department news release. He shot Brian Santana Lane, 24, of Louisville, who was fleeing from police after eluding a traffic stop, authorities said.

Mr. Lane is in "guarded condition" at the Medical College of Georgia Hospital and Clinics.

Mr. Swan saw Mr. Lane climbing over his fence and running across a pasture beside his home Saturday afternoon when attempted to stop him by shooting at him.

Mr. Lane was on the run from Jefferson Sheriff's Department deputies who attempted to stop his vehicle after he illegally passed motorists around 2:55 p.m. Saturday. The chase exceeded speeds above 100 mph and ended when Mr. Lane stopped his vehicle near the intersection of Campground and Quaker road, about three miles east of Wrens. He left his female passenger behind in the vehicle.

Mr. Swan heard the sirens and soon noticed Mr. Lane entering his backyard. He was tending to his livestock when he attempted to stop Mr. Lane by chasing him with an all-terrain vehicle and firing shots at him.

Mr. Swan told police he yelled at the man several times to stop before firing the shot that struck Mr. Lane. He stopped a passing motorist and instructed him to call 911 after the shooting.

Shortly after, deputies arrived and remained until an ambulance arrived. Mr. Lane remains at MCG and will face several traffic charges upon release.

The female passenger was questioned Saturday but will not face any charges.

colcamp1
colcamp1 06/28/09 - 09:37 am
Damn, there man is Jay

Damn, there man is Jay walking, Bam, That will teach him. You walked on my grass, bam, that will teach you. Let's do away with law enforcement and let the " Hill Billies" of the world rake over. Sure they may kill you for taking a short cut but what the hell, you probably would have committed a crime some time in the future.

colcamp1
colcamp1 06/28/09 - 09:38 am
Yeah, he also could be Howard

Yeah, he also could be Howard Hugh.

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/28/09 - 09:39 am
PretendMary, honestly,

PretendMary, honestly, explain to me logically and rationally how you defend this criminal? I doubt you can come up with any more than six, maybe seven words in his defense?

SCGAL53
SCGAL53 06/28/09 - 09:40 am
PT, that was hilarious. The

PT, that was hilarious. The rest of you all should watch your spelling. PM thinks it's more important to spell correctly than get the point across.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/28/09 - 09:42 am
Colcamp LMAO! Dead on dude.

Colcamp LMAO! Dead on dude. Glad you are coming around to my way of thinking. You know how hard it is to keep nice grass. Scott's turf build ain't cheap you know. Yea don't be jumping my fence if you are running from the po po , cause I am an ATV riding shooting hillbilly.

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 09:45 am
He was running through his

He was running through his yard with cops in pursuit and he decided to be a vigilante. Bad idea. I don't support the person running. Swan is not a cop and they were in pursuit. What don't you and all the trigger happy people get. I might shoot you cause I don't like your overalls or your dog crapped on my lawn.

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 09:48 am
Scgal You got a point

Scgal You got a point across???? Scary when someone who says nothing thinks PT is hilarious? LoL

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/28/09 - 09:49 am
PretendMary on Sun Jun 28,

PretendMary on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:45 AM Now you are back peddling.

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 09:49 am
Pat is funny....for all the

Pat is funny....for all the wrong reasons

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/28/09 - 09:50 am
Swan didn't shoot him because

Swan didn't shoot him because he didn't like him, he more likely shot him because he thought either he was in danger or the criminal might endanger the lives of someone else.

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 09:51 am
trey ...How?

trey ...How?

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/28/09 - 09:53 am
Obviously the cops had lost

Obviously the cops had lost him, they were not still in pursuit, probably still back at the car with the girl he left behind, so it seems as far as Swan knew he was the only one left to stop a fugitive and save the rest of the public from a law-evading criminal.

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 09:54 am
When you are chasing and

When you are chasing and shooting???? Not to mention cops were chasing....... OK...to make this story fit your warped view you have to say the cops are incompetent

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 06/28/09 - 09:56 am
I remember Andrew from years

I remember Andrew from years ago. He was a little younger than me and was a good kid. I learned as apparently did he and most people in that area to shoot 1st and ask questions in that area. I fully support what he did and rest assured that I would have and will if it happens to me do the same thing. Except, maybe, he should have buried the evidence. Pretendmary, I’m not pretending anything and you said you might go to Wrens’ county if you knew where it is be advised it is in Jefferson Co. Just get on Hwy 1 and travel about 35 miles. Try the same thing and you could wind up the same way as Lane, maybe even worse…then we’ll see who the American Idiot is. Trespass on my property and don’t stop to talk about it…at YOUR risk!

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 09:57 am
And they are chasing him over

And they are chasing him over a traffic violation..

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 10:01 am
Hey dad bunny...Is that a

Hey dad bunny...Is that a threat or is everyone in JEFFERSON CO a crazy redneck?

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 06/28/09 - 10:03 am
This IS NOT a threat! I don't

This IS NOT a threat! I don't do that. But until you've been amongst those people...don't call them idiots for doing anything you know nothing about. By the way, What Mary are you pretending to be? Are you male or female?

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/28/09 - 10:05 am
Don't turn this into a white

Don't turn this into a white black thing Mary. There are allot of black country folk that would have done the same.

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 10:06 am
Um Daddy The reason I don't

Um Daddy The reason I don't know where you are is I don't care. You are a nobody in the middle of Nowhere.

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 10:09 am
when did I say anything about

when did I say anything about race???????? You may need a reading comprehension class?

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/28/09 - 10:11 am
Hey dad bunny...Is that a

Posted by PretendMary on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:01 AM..... The Word Redneck!!!!!!!

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 06/28/09 - 10:13 am
Mary, you can say I’m a

Mary, you can say I’m a nobody, even though, there again, you know absolutely nothing about me. But you know, it’s true that opinions are JUST like buttholes. Everybody has one and, yep, yours stinks! As for chasing someone over a traffic stop….why did he run and at over 100 mph, even?

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 10:13 am
Is redneck a race? lol

Is redneck a race? lol

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/28/09 - 10:15 am
PMary, drink some water and

PMary, drink some water and try to dilute those pills. You're coming across as less than rational...or do you care?

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/28/09 - 10:18 am
Not that the cops are

Not that the cops are incompetent, they simply lost pursuit. We don't really know where they were, they just weren't right behind Lane. We know that because they didn't arrive at the scene until "shortly after" while Lane was on the ground, near the road at that point and Swan was telling a stopped motorist to call 911. Basically, I think Swan did what most people, educated, non-educated, black, white, would do. He was acting on a fight or flight response or some kind of impulsive instinct. No one is really prepared for a criminal to run across their property and I suppose most would act in a way to defend themselves.

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 10:18 am
PT you are my sleeping pill

PT you are my sleeping pill

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 06/28/09 - 10:20 am
By the way, Mary, since you

By the way, Mary, since you dislike the term Redneck tell me what it means. Define it! and as for caring where I am, you will probably never know, but, since you didn't seem to know where Wrens is as evidenced by your post, I thought I would tell you...........I might drive to where ever wrens county for that...lol Posted by PretendMary on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:54 AM

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 10:20 am
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz looking for

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz looking for the water and pills you speak of ....found them..later

happydazerhereagain
happydazerhereagain 06/28/09 - 10:22 am
pm is just speaking her

pm is just speaking her bullcrap mind, just like everyone else on here speaking their bullcrap mind..what's the big deal. all a bunch of clowns, hey i'm a clown too

happydazerhereagain