Man running from police shot by citizen

A Jefferson County man is in jail after shooting a suspect running from police in his backyard.

Back | Next
Andrew Newton Swan  Special
Special
Andrew Newton Swan

Andrew Newton Swan Sr., 56, of Wrens, is being held at the Jefferson County Jail pending a charge of aggravated assault, according to a Jefferson County Sheriff's Department news release. He shot Brian Santana Lane, 24, of Louisville, who was fleeing from police after eluding a traffic stop, authorities said.

Mr. Lane is in "guarded condition" at the Medical College of Georgia Hospital and Clinics.

Mr. Swan saw Mr. Lane climbing over his fence and running across a pasture beside his home Saturday afternoon when attempted to stop him by shooting at him.

Mr. Lane was on the run from Jefferson Sheriff's Department deputies who attempted to stop his vehicle after he illegally passed motorists around 2:55 p.m. Saturday. The chase exceeded speeds above 100 mph and ended when Mr. Lane stopped his vehicle near the intersection of Campground and Quaker road, about three miles east of Wrens. He left his female passenger behind in the vehicle.

Mr. Swan heard the sirens and soon noticed Mr. Lane entering his backyard. He was tending to his livestock when he attempted to stop Mr. Lane by chasing him with an all-terrain vehicle and firing shots at him.

Mr. Swan told police he yelled at the man several times to stop before firing the shot that struck Mr. Lane. He stopped a passing motorist and instructed him to call 911 after the shooting.

Shortly after, deputies arrived and remained until an ambulance arrived. Mr. Lane remains at MCG and will face several traffic charges upon release.

The female passenger was questioned Saturday but will not face any charges.

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 08:35 am
Pt you are beautiful in this

Pt you are beautiful in this story...Clueless but loud..I'm the proud butcher in your shallow hate filled cesspool ....Darn tootin'...Andy Warhol lives in a scream

rmorris30907
rmorris30907 06/28/09 - 08:38 am
According to the castle

According to the castle doctrine, anyone on your property you feel is a threat to you or your family, you may shoot.

The perp should not have ran from the police.

You should not shoot a person seeking to leave your property without causing you harm!

mad_max
mad_max 06/28/09 - 08:43 am
They should drop all charges

They should drop all charges against Swan and add a Trespass charge to Lane. This scumbag has no RIGHT to use Mr. Swans property as an escape route. Let the thugs know that if they are going to run from the law they have to stay off of private property. If I hear sirens and see someone running across my property, I immediately assume criminal suspect and feel my life is in danger. If the cops chase him toward me then I am in danger and it is my job to stop him before he gets to me. You know, it works both ways. If you watch COPS you know the deal. What is their canned response when asked "why did you run?". "I feared for my life man". Well....."why did you shoot Lane?". " "I feared for my life deputy." FREE Mr. Swan! FREE Mr. Swan! FREE Mr. Swan!

sassygalady30
sassygalady30 06/28/09 - 08:49 am
mary,u understaood didn't

mary,u understaood didn't ya?to me that'sall that matter's,righ?sorry if u are looking to argue.sorry i'm not here toa argue with childish people.so move on..

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 09:03 am
Move on sassy...It will take

Move on sassy...It will take me days to correct your spelling

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 09:07 am
Nice sad try sad max....Thank

Nice sad try sad max....Thank goodness you are not a lawyer. Cretin Logic!

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 09:16 am
Go worship your pretend

Go worship your pretend god....It is his pretend day after all

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/28/09 - 09:21 am
Mary it's the bleeding heart

Mary it's the bleeding heart liberals, like you, that has allowed America's criminal culture to be emboldened. Who is worse the man driving 100MPH or the man minding his own business taking care of his livestock? This mans civil rights were violated, and he had a right to take the appropriate action. If more people to action like Mr. Swan then we would have less criminals running through our streets. You are just another carpetbagger, who runs from the liberally created dumps, just to create another.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/28/09 - 09:24 am
AC you have the names

AC you have the names backwards, please edit your news story.....Shortly after, deputies arrived and remained until an ambulance arrived. Mr. Swan remains at MCG, and will face several traffic charges upon release

happydazerhereagain
happydazerhereagain 06/28/09 - 09:40 am
it's mr howdy doodie to the

it's mr howdy doodie to the rescue! trigger happy moron

happydazerhereagain
happydazerhereagain 06/28/09 - 09:44 am
I bet Lane thought he'd

I bet Lane thought he'd landed in hill billy hell when Swan started after him. "It's gettin' so a bro can't have NO fun". This would have never happened in sophisticated areas like Detroit or Los Angeles. LOL
Posted by patriciathomas on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:41 AM
NOW THAT IS FUNNY AS CRAP... love the hill billy hell!!!

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 09:44 am
Get off my lawn I have an ATV

Get off my lawn I have an ATV and a gun and half a mind to use it

happydazerhereagain
happydazerhereagain 06/28/09 - 09:49 am
i think swan and lane need to

i think swan and lane need to duke this out on jerry springer lmao

happydazerhereagain
happydazerhereagain 06/28/09 - 09:50 am
lol pm

lol pm

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 09:53 am
PT is hilarious and doesn't

PT is hilarious and doesn't even know it. I think is employed by the chronicle

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 09:54 am
I might drive to where ever

I might drive to where ever wrens county for that...lol

ladyjanegrey
ladyjanegrey 06/28/09 - 10:02 am
pm...new name for an old

pm...new name for an old fool?

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 10:03 am
Hey Trey of the Milton maybe

Hey Trey of the Milton maybe Swan made an improper lane change while he was firing bulletts from his unregistered ATV?

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 10:05 am
AM is a good time for an old

AM is a good time for an old grey lady to go back to sleep or church...either way Jane

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 10:09 am
I think Swan is your new Joe

I think Swan is your new Joe the Plumber...I bet ya...lol

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 06/28/09 - 10:17 am
w00t!-N-tootin' run-by

w00t!-N-tootin' run-by shootin'!

DEVGRU
DEVGRU 06/28/09 - 10:20 am
Some of you folks had better

Some of you folks had better study the law pertaining to self-defense before you touch a gun.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/28/09 - 10:21 am
On a ATV I ride, criminals

On a ATV I ride, criminals don't jump my fence, I will get you dead or alive. Pretend Mary I posted this before, but this song is what this man is. Just a simple man tired of the BS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBohsCG8emk.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/28/09 - 10:21 am
PMary, you write like Angie.

PMary, you write like Angie. No brain needed. Well done.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/28/09 - 10:22 am
1677, you worry about you and

1677, you worry about you and I will worry about me!

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 10:30 am
Exactly...and you focus what

Exactly...and you focus what little gray matter you have on folks like Swan. I can see why you identify. You have the same fashion sense. And level of intelligence. It's Pat!

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/28/09 - 10:30 am
Trey Milton @9:21 was right

Trey Milton @9:21 was right on. Why is Swan even in jail right now? He heard sirens, he saw a stranger running across HIS OWN property. In the moment, one can only assume something is wrong and what he did is merely acting on the propensity that all humans instinctively have to protect themselves. Yet liberals will cry and moan, Al Sharpton will be here shortly, straight from MJ's funeral, and defend the rights of the criminal while they sit idly miles away from the situation safe and secure.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/28/09 - 10:35 am
The Reverends want be here,

The Reverends want be here, when there is money to be made at the Jackson house. They hit the jack pot out west!

RockHudson 06/28/09 - 10:35 am
Cracker...your name says it

Cracker...your name says it all. lol

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/28/09 - 10:36 am
...and I don't even want to

...and I don't even want to hear them cry about how judgmental everyone else is. Because it's an older white male from Louisville, GA with a camo T-shirt on, you judge him an ignorant hill billy. The man could be very educated and down to earth for all you know.