Wife told Sanford to stop affair

SULLIVANS ISLAND, S.C. --- South Carolina first lady Jenny Sanford sat in her oceanfront living room Friday, recalling how her husband repeatedly asked permission to visit his lover in the months after she discovered his affair.

"I said absolutely not. It's one thing to forgive adultery; it's another thing to condone it," Mrs. Sanford told The Associated Press during a 20-minute interview at the coastal home where she sought refuge with their four sons. They were her first extended comments on the affair.

She said that when her husband, Gov. Mark Sanford, inexplicably disappeared last week, she hoped he was hiking on the Appalachian Trail, as his staff told those who inquired about his absence. That he had dared to go to Argentina to see the other woman left her stunned.

"He was told in no uncertain terms not to see her," she said in a strong, steady voice. "I was hoping he was on the Appalachian Trail. But I was not worried about his safety. I was hoping he was doing some real soul searching somewhere and devastated to find out it was Argentina. It's tragic."

The Sanfords had separated about two weeks ago. She said her husband told the family that he wanted some time away to work on writing a book and clear his head. The first lady said, "I had every hope he was not going to see her."

"You would think that a father who didn't have contact with his children, if he wanted those children, he would toe the line a little bit," she said.

Mrs. Sanford, a Georgetown-educated, former Wall Street vice president, said she discovered her husband's affair early this year after coming across a copy of a letter to the mistress in one of his files in the official governor's mansion. He had asked her to find some financial information, she said, not an unusual request considering her heavy involvement in his career.

The first lady said she confronted her husband immediately, and he agreed to end the affair. She said she wasn't sure Friday whether he had done so.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/27/09 - 04:02 am
If Jenny doesn't trust him,

If Jenny doesn't trust him, why should anybody else?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/27/09 - 04:25 am
The affair was not the bad

The affair was not the bad thing, it was his total insanity dealing with it. Heck, he asks his wife if he can go see her? She says no and he goes anyway, leaving the state wondering where its Governor is. Sanford is different all right, but as it turns out, he was a real flake all along. Too bad.

dickworth1
dickworth1 06/27/09 - 05:20 am
There is no place in a

There is no place in a marriage for adultery, if you want someone new, you must be responsible enough to tell
your current spouse, it is the right thing to do! The grass
always looks greener on the other side of the street, but
when you start grazing, you find out in most cases it was
artificial grass and not the real thing! Mrs. Sanford should dump him!

shivas
shivas 06/27/09 - 05:44 am
Now, Sanford is a prime

Now, Sanford is a prime example of the religious right-wing. He is now comparing himself to the Bible's King David. Wow, only from the religious right can they condemn others with the bible, while at the same time exonerating themselves. It's not liberals who's corrupting society, but hypocrites like Sanford.

RedQuinoa
RedQuinoa 06/27/09 - 06:24 am
To have the gall to compare

To have the gall to compare himself to a "man after God's own heart", as the Bible describes David, shows that Sanford fails to grasp the gravity of his actions. He has disrespected the public trust and worse, has visited destruction on his family... and now - he wants all of us to see him as some kind of latter-day King David? If he wants to emulate a Bible figure there are many who mourned their sinfulness, truly ashamed of their behavior, in sackcloth and ashes. That might be a good place for Mark Sanford to start - adopting an attitude that shows authentic repentance rather than arrogance.

teharper428
teharper428 06/27/09 - 06:43 am
I didn't remember the King

I didn't remember the King David story, but as a news report states, "King David continued to lead after sleeping with another man's wife, Bathsheba, having the husband slain, then marrying the widow." Wow, not the comparison you'd think he wants.

mable8
mable8 06/27/09 - 06:50 am
Affairs are a private matter;

fht610
fht610 06/27/09 - 07:53 am
"Affairs are a private

"Affairs are a private matter; sure wish the media and the wife would just shut up." Not if you believe what Mark Sanford said about Bill Clinton when Sanford was a Congresscritter in the 90's. Hypocrisy, thy name is Christian Conservative.....

debby
debby 06/27/09 - 08:08 am
Running to the mistress would

Running to the mistress would be a deal breaker for me if I was the wife.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 06/27/09 - 08:22 am
Man, I wish my husband had

Man, I wish my husband had asked my permission to go see his girlfriend. Then I'd have known he had one!

corgimom
corgimom 06/27/09 - 08:47 am
I don't agree with adults

I don't agree with adults discussing their private marital problems publicly when they have children. These discussions are NOT in the best interests of those innocent kids. I just wish the Sanfords would have the decency to keep this stuff to themselves. Mark Sanford has certain obligations to the people of SC, but Jenny Sanford does not. I wish those two would just shut up.

ladyjanegrey
ladyjanegrey 06/27/09 - 09:01 am
Oh Mark go South !! Leave the

Oh Mark go South !! Leave the loveless marriage and the absurd world of politics and join your Lady.....I believe you love her truly and desire only a quiet life and land to nurture...leave all of this and escape!!!

colcamp1
colcamp1 06/27/09 - 09:10 am
Some of you were singing a

Some of you were singing a different tune, when it involved the Clinton. " Private Matter" my azz. He is the Governor of a state. If he had not pulled a " Houdini" it might still be private.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 06/27/09 - 10:23 am
clinton's wasn't a "Private

clinton's wasn't a "Private Matter". He chose to fool around in 'our house' and then lie under oath. Remember "I didn't have sex with that woman"?

colcamp1
colcamp1 06/27/09 - 10:30 am
Remeber " I was hiking in the

Remeber " I was hiking in the woods"?

colcamp1
colcamp1 06/27/09 - 10:31 am
Oliver North lied under oath.

Oliver North lied under oath. So, what are your feelings about him?

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/27/09 - 10:44 am
ladyjanegrey? What about his

ladyjanegrey? What about his children? To leave would mean leaving his 4 sons fatherless. Course, with a selfish, moral-less, jerk of a father, what good could he possibly teach his children? I don't know...maybe you're just being tongue-in-cheek?

cricketflea
cricketflea 06/27/09 - 10:54 am
Either way you look at it,

Either way you look at it, she told her husband to stay away from his mistress. He didn't. Looks to me like a divorce should be in the works. Hope she gets a good lawyer and takes him for everything! Case closed.

katiecaroline
katiecaroline 06/27/09 - 11:05 am
Jenny has no business

Jenny has no business discussing her marrige or the affair with the media. SHE is not setting a good example for her boys. He was WRONG in every shape, form, and fashion ... and she should be talking to a marriage counselor, her husband , or a lawyer, but NOT to the media. Maybe she's a bloodsucker like the media is ... and if that's the case, then maybe that's part of why he strayed. Poor children.

prolifer
prolifer 06/27/09 - 11:06 am
Leaving his children

Leaving his children fatherless? He couldn't even stay with his precious boys on father's day. This scum bag needs to be divorced from everything and everyone that made him what/who he is today. That includes his children, wife, state of SC and the Republican Party. And too, he's still not finished lying. Why would he spend five days crying in Argetina? I think he was getting his freak on. It's much cheaper to the taxpayers of SC for him to cry locally. The tears of a clown....

corgimom
corgimom 06/27/09 - 11:17 am
Yeah, don't you wonder why

Yeah, don't you wonder why she is discussing these private details when she has 4 kids? What is she thinking? How does she think that these interviews won't hurt her kids? Kids always resent it when someone runs down their parents, no matter how justified or true it is.

corgimom
corgimom 06/27/09 - 11:19 am
Or maybe she kicked him out

Or maybe she kicked him out and wouldn't let him see the kids on Father's Day? She said she told him to leave and not speak to her. So just how was he supposed to see his kids on Father's Day?

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 06/27/09 - 11:28 am
Who are we to judge his

Who are we to judge his private life. That is between the Gov
his wife and God. He is still the same man running the state
of South Carolina. If we did not know of the affair, we would
still think he was a good Govener. The two are separate and everyone should think about the good job he has done and leave his private life alone.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 06/27/09 - 11:33 am
You are right that this is

You are right that this is between the Gov, his wife and God. It is time to start talking to eachother and less to the press.

prolifer
prolifer 06/27/09 - 11:35 am
Rose, who thought he was a

Rose, who thought he was a good governor? Maybe all the jobless citizens of SC. Just asking

R2
R2 06/27/09 - 12:29 pm
Jenny seems like a bully to

Jenny seems like a bully to me. How many more ways can a person say, I don't want you,I want someone else? I think the affair was ongoing for about 8 yrs. To ask PERMISSION from your wife is the stupidest thing I ever heard. I thinkJenny sent the e-mails to the press because of all the info she is now giving them. Either way she can't stop him from seeing his children. This guy has no sense and [filtered word] and he is trying to run a state?

prolifer
prolifer 06/27/09 - 01:01 pm
If the computer or cell phone

If the computer or cell phone used to communicate between the two were state issued, the state found out. Just ask the former mayor of Detroit.

mommie2
mommie2 06/27/09 - 01:17 pm
There goes the sanctity of

There goes the sanctity of marriage.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/27/09 - 02:38 pm
Who thinks the way Sanford

Who thinks the way Sanford acted was superior to the way Bill Clinton acted? I believe Sanford was far more concerned about the other woman and not simply using the girl to perform a sexual act. See what I mean?

R2
R2 06/27/09 - 03:07 pm
Yeah right. Are you kidding

Yeah right. Are you kidding me? It was sexual alright. To go to Argentina for a piece of tail, that's sexual. The bar owner said they couldn't keep their hands off of each other.We're not talking about Clinton. No one said he wasn't wrong. That's old news. This is now.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...