Perry maintains his lead

  • Follow Golf

CROMWELL, Conn. --- Kenny Perry followed up his opening 61 with 68 on Friday and held on to a two-stroke lead when thunderstorms halted the second round of the Travelers Championship.

Perry, who tied the course record Thursday to lead by two shots, said he actually hit the ball better Friday, but lost his touch with the putter. He had only three birdies despite hitting 16 greens.

"What I felt was the right speed was always short, and then when I tried to hit it, I couldn't stroke it," he said. "I was hitting the putt, then I was blowing it right through the break."

He and the rest of the morning golfers played through off-and-on showers that slowed already soft greens.

Ryan Moore shot 65 to move into second place and said conditions allowed him to go for the pin all day.

"That's what I was doing, and that really doesn't happen very much," he said.

The sun came out for the afternoon, but severe weather moved in just before 4:30 p.m. with 73 golfers still on the course. Play was officially called for the day at 6.

Colt Knost, who was celebrating his 24th birthday Friday, and 26-year-old Aaron Watkins were in the clubhouse at 8-under. They were tied with Anthony Kim, Paul Goydos, David Toms and Spencer Levin, all of whom were playing their back nine when play was halted.

Knost says he's almost fully recovered from minor injuries suffered when he was struck by a drunken driver just before a U.S. Open qualifier in Memphis, Tenn.

Former Clemson golfer Kyle Stanley has fired 66-67--133 in his pro debut and is four shots behind Perry.

Evans resident Vaughn Taylor has shot 69-68--137 and is on the projected cut line.

Brian Gay, the former Louisville, Ga., resident, opened with 66 and was 1-under for his round through 13 holes Friday when play was called.

Search Augusta jobs
Top headlines
19 plea not guilty in Irish Traveler case
COLUMBIA -- Nineteen of 22 people indicted in the federal case involving Irish Travelers and Murphy Village entered not guilty pleas Tuesday and received $25,000 unsecured bonds.