Airport is soaring

Close. Intimate. Comfortable. Reliable.

Those are the hallmarks of most any good relationship. And increasingly, they define the bond between Augusta Regional Airport and the flying public.

Through May, passengers are up 12 percent in Augusta over the same period last year -- a remarkable feat, considering the economy, and a statement of how far the airport has come.

It used to be there weren't enough flights, or that the fares were prohibitive, or that Delta connections to Atlanta were unreliable.

Airport officials say all that has changed: Fares are tantalizing, especially since flying out of Augusta eliminates the need to drive one or two hours to other airports. Augusta has a new terminal that is both attractive and convenient. And Delta has improved its reliability.

We have noticed packed planes in and out of the airport. And that's a good thing all around.

It means more folks are using their hometown airport, for one thing. For another, it means we're much less likely to lose service; and that's vital, since having two airlines service Augusta (US Airways being the other) helps keep fares down and choices up.

In fact, if recent trends hold, all that just might make the case for a third airline, and perhaps nonstops to places such as Washington, D.C., and New York.

Remember the days when we had fund-raisers to bring airlines here? What a difference.

If you've been avoiding Augusta Regional Airport for whatever reason, it's a good bet the reason's outdated. You might want to give the airport another try. The fares make it worthwhile to fly out from Augusta, and the convenience will get you hooked.

The airport is close, it's intimate, it's comfortable, and it's more reliable than it's been in years.

It's clearly going places if you are.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/26/09 - 05:55 am
This is a good commercial.

This is a good commercial. What's it doing on the editorial page. Doesn't anyone report on the $3trillion dollar "health care fix" or the next stimulus promised by our president this week? Is this the "new and improved" direction of the AC?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/26/09 - 06:42 am
That's an accurate editorial

That's an accurate editorial that may help with misconceptions about the airport some have. In the comments section after the airports article the other day it was interesting to see the remarks of those happy with the airport versus those with views that are "outdated" as you say. If you are needlessly driving to Atlanta these days, you belong in a Vonage commercial.

getalife
getalife 06/26/09 - 06:56 am
On my last plane trip (and I

On my last plane trip (and I mean last) out of Augusta, our flight was cancelled and we rode the bus to Atlanta. On the return trip, our flight and the last two following flights were cancelled due to "mechanical problems" and Delta put us up in a roach motel with no luggage. My last trip!!

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 06/26/09 - 07:09 am
Well, when 2 of 3 flights a

Well, when 2 of 3 flights a day are cancelled- you can expect the next plane (or bus) to be full!!!!! The price for flying out of Augusta is not good enough to just drive to Atlanta or Charlotte.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/26/09 - 07:59 am
Getalife, how long ago was

Getalife, how long ago was that? TrukinRanger, didn't you read the stats in the article? "Also, reliability rates in Augusta are now 99.35 percent for Delta and 99.45 for US Air.ways. And Delta canceled all of two flights in the entire month of May."

SCGAL53
SCGAL53 06/26/09 - 08:27 am
I fly frequently and mostly

I fly frequently and mostly out of Augusta. I've not had a problem in over 30 years.

getalife
getalife 06/26/09 - 08:53 am
Riverman1, it has been a

Riverman1, it has been a while ago on my last trip, but since the terminal was completed. It is not the terminal, it is paying for a plane ticket (still too high) and riding a bus. Plus many times if you take one of the last three flights from Atlanta back into Augusta, you stand a good chance of spending the night. SCGAL53, you have been very lucky!!

viewer 1
viewer 1 06/26/09 - 09:36 am
Augusta Regional Airport is

Augusta Regional Airport is doing so much better, thanks to all the staff. It is just not reasonable to go anywhere eles, unless you need a buisness fare.

airFlyer
airFlyer 06/26/09 - 10:39 am
I have had no problem flying

I have had no problem flying OUT of Augusta, it is getting back is the problem. The last five times that I tried, I have had to rent a car in Atlanta and drive home. I have also had to take midnight trips to ATL to pick my wife up! They severely overbook the flights and if your flight coming into ATL is even just a few minutes late, they will give your seat up. Hence, the number of flights cancelled in a particular month is not the metric to examine. The more accurate metric to determine reliability would be the number of passengers displaced due to overbooking. I cannot risk flying into Augusta any longer, it is just too expensive in both time and money.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/26/09 - 11:56 am
Guess, I've been lucky. In

Guess, I've been lucky. In the last couple of months two flights from Atlanta here right on time. So if a flight from Atl is cancelled and they put you on a bus what are you losing if you you had bussed to Atl, flown from there and planned to bus to Augusta? At least you saved the bus fare and probably had a cheaper ticket by leaving from Augusta. That's what many don't get.

imdstuf
imdstuf 06/26/09 - 03:12 pm
If its not much more I would

If its not much more I would fly out of Augusta over Atlanta or Columbia. If the price difference is a couple hundred dollars or more then I would considered going out of town to fly.

Dark Lord
Dark Lord 06/26/09 - 03:42 pm
I Challenge the "Canceled

I Challenge the "Canceled Only 2 Flights In May".I Don't want to call anyone a lie (smile), but I know that to be an untrue statement. The term Maintenance Problems is used by the airlines when they can't come up with the honest sensible reason or they are just pointing fingers at someone other than themselves. If it is raining or has the potential to rain in or near Atlanta, your flight will at a minium be severely delayed or cancelled. Been there Done that, know what I'm talking about. Nice airport but the customer service for both airlines really suck. They have no people skills at all.

shaftmaster
shaftmaster 06/26/09 - 03:54 pm
BS Riverman,,,,I fly

BS Riverman,,,,I fly frequently and what you said is a lie.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/26/09 - 04:31 pm
Shaftmaster...lol...care to

Shaftmaster...lol...care to clarify exactly what I said is a lie? I am overwhelmed with your eloquence. Imdstuff, here is the puzzling part, it is cheaper to fly out of Augusta to say SF than it is to leave from Atl. Makes no sense I know.

dont live there anymore
dont live there anymore 06/26/09 - 08:04 pm
I flew in and out of Augusta

I flew in and out of Augusta in March. No problems with the airline (Delta). Leaving was a problem because of really severe weather and I would miss my connecting flight to Minneapolis. The person at the gate was one of the best I have dealt with and I have flown many miles from many airports. He was courteious, concerned and had me scheduled for a later flight within minutes. Then in Atlanta I was so well cared for that I could not complain. One thing to keep in mind: if you are nice and don't "kill the messenger" then the employees will be more willing to serve your need. I overheard one women yelling and carrying on about the late flight but it was the WEATHER.

Group demands hearing on commissioner appointment

City leaders appeared to warm to a request Monday by the West Augusta Alliance to hold one or more public hearings before appointing an interim District 7 commissioner to serve until Donnie ...