Rape suspect imprisoned in assault, car strike

An Augusta man suspected of committing a series of sexual assaults, one of which led to death, received a maximum 35-year prison sentence Monday for unrelated crimes.

Clay  Special
Special
Clay

A Richmond County Superior Court jury convicted Michael C. Clay, 28, in May of aggravated assault and serious injury by vehicle for beating his ex-girlfriend and striking a high school student with his car.

Mr. Clay faced the maximum because of a prior felony conviction. Judge James G. Blanchard Jr. could have probated part of the sentence but chose not to.

"Mr. Clay ruthlessly beat me while I was pregnant with his twins," said his ex-girlfriend, Kimberly Wright.

The assault took place on Valentine's Day 2006 and into the next morning, Ms. Wright told a jury last month. He broke her jaw and knocked out several teeth.

Mr. Clay also hit David Barnes with a car the morning of Feb. 15, 2006, as he was walking to his bus stop near East Boundary. Ms. Wright and Mr. Barnes testified that they thought Mr. Clay struck him intentionally.

After his arrest in these two cases, Mr. Clay was identified as a suspect in the death of Sherry Rose Murphy, 43. She died about eight months after a brutal sexual assault left her in a coma.

Investigators previously told The Augusta Chronicle that DNA tests also connect Mr. Clay to four sexual assaults in May and July 2000 and to one in June 2003.

Mr. Clay still faces charges in the sexual assault cases. He has pleaded not guilty.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 06/23/09 - 05:02 am
Incidnet took place February

Incidnet took place February of 2006 and it took until June of 2009 to put this thug of a violent criminal properly behind bars where he should have been all along. Our judicial system is a joke but at least Judge Blanchard isn't palying around with these violent criminal types - put him behind bars and throw away the key. We MUST rid our communities of violent criminals as a number one priority to reducing crimes. There are many other criminals and crimes that are important however, the use of drugs, corporate crime, etc. does not even begin to compare to violent criminals or those who terrorize others or use weapons in the commission of a crime. These type of individuals should be permantly removed from our society.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/23/09 - 05:11 am
As far as I'm concerned there

As far as I'm concerned there ain't no excuse
For the raping and the killing and the child abuse
And I've got a way to put an end to all that mess
Just take them rascals out in the swamp
Put 'em on their knees and tie 'em to a stump
Let the rattlers and the bugs and the alligators do the rest
"Simple Man" by Charlie Daniels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBohsCG8emk

Bushmaster
Bushmaster 06/23/09 - 06:05 am
I agree with Milton1874, we

I agree with Milton1874, we need to go back to old time justice that was handed out by our forefathers. These people do not deserve our sympathy or the in-jail, luxury time that he will get to enjoy until he passes away. He needs to be beaten like the lady was beaten, but then again he might meet big Bubba in jail and then his time may come as he is slapped around by being HIS lady.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/23/09 - 06:13 am
Well, I guess it could have

Well, I guess it could have been worse. He could have been allowed to run rampant for a few more years before legal action was taken. The 35 years seems mighty lenient. I agree with Milton, a quick end would be best.

puddeecat
puddeecat 06/23/09 - 06:46 am
He doesn't deserve to live.

He doesn't deserve to live. He should be put to death.

AAQueen
AAQueen 06/23/09 - 08:11 am
Castration

Castration

andywarhol
andywarhol 06/23/09 - 08:29 am
I've said it before; its

I've said it before; its times like these where foreign countries get it right when it comes to dispensing justice.

mad_max
mad_max 06/23/09 - 08:38 am
Look at him. The lights are

Look at him. The lights are on but nobody is at home. He should have been put to death. Probably started out sticking up convenience stores and mugging people in parking lots. Another punk that the rehabbers molycoddled.

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 06/23/09 - 09:00 am
He should be made to live in

He should be made to live in one of Betty Beard's houses instead of a nice jail.

colcamp1
colcamp1 06/23/09 - 09:10 am
IMHO, this person forefited

IMHO, this person forefited his rights to live.

corgimom
corgimom 06/23/09 - 09:58 am
Sticking up convenience

Sticking up convenience stores has nothing to do with being a violent sexual predator. He's worse than a punk. He is a sick, twisted person with no chance of rehabilitation, who should've gotten the death penalty. He started out 9 years ago at age 19- that is, that's the ones that investigators know about- and you have to be pretty bad off to be so twisted, so young. I don't think he was ever right or normal. I hope he is found guilty of the other assaults, given maximum terms for those, and locked up with no possibility of ever getting out and being free in society.

getalife
getalife 06/23/09 - 10:55 am
35 years is a very short

35 years is a very short sentence for what this man has done. He should have gotten life or the death penalty. He is proving he is beyond any type rehabilitation and will be turned out in a few years to repeat these crimes.

truthisstillhere
truthisstillhere 06/23/09 - 03:33 pm
35 years is definately not

35 years is definately not long enough when we know criminals only do a fraction of the time they get sentenced to......lets hope he gets the death penalty when they try him for the murder

hurlyburly11
hurlyburly11 06/23/09 - 04:21 pm
hey panther ...one of you

hey panther ...one of you fans !!!!

asias99
asias99 06/28/09 - 02:33 pm
I would like to voice my

I would like to voice my upset feelings over the continual mistruth being printed about Michael Clay. First of all as for the murder of that women Sherry DNA DID NOT MATCH..so I feel that needs to be corrected also everyone needs to think about all that was said about this man but there was never any ACTUAL medical records presented in the case with Kim Wright..I believe in court her words were that HIS family keeps harrassing her and threating her..WHERE IS THE PROOF. Not to mention the fact that the rapes were coincedently charged by friends of Ms. Wright. Not to mention the judge and the prosecutor are friends. As well as the fact that during trial and all other proceedings the judge spent histime text messaging not even paying attention to the case..And finally last but not least was it ever mentioned that her current husband is also incarcerated for similar charges towards her. ????WERE ARE THE RECORDS THERE ARE NONE???...................I have no ill feelings towards this woman at all alls I could do is pray for her she obviously has some emotional issues that are fufilled by the victory of putting men behind bars..Prayers go out for her to get the help she n

asias99
asias99 06/28/09 - 02:36 pm
BTW to clear the record she

BTW to clear the record she didnt lose the pregnancy she aborted the pregnancy before this ever even took place nopt to mention the fact that there was a restraining order in place preventing her from going around his family and she did the opposite..SHE WENT ANYWAY..SHE SHOULD BE JAILED FOR ALL THE LIES SHE HAS TOLD...I pray for you everyday Ms. Wright that the lord forgives you for sins...He is the one who you will one day have to answer to..That is who you need to fear..GOD

WW1949
WW1949 07/11/09 - 10:29 am
Asias99, are you nuts? This

Asias99, are you nuts? This man is an animal. The judge listens and keeps the order in the court. The jury finds the man guilty or not and the judge imposes the sentence by state guidlines. Good for Judge Blanchard for imposing the maximum of 35 years. I probably would have added and no possibility for parole. You people who defend these thugs need to have a change of ideas.

asias99
asias99 07/18/09 - 02:26 pm
Well WW1949 not to be nasty

Well WW1949 not to be nasty and no disrespect but when you PERSONALLY no what I know then you would think different read what I wrote carefully. had I not known this man and extensive family then I would of probably felt the same as alot of people but I cannot when I know for sure the real story...like I said dont you find it odd that there was no actual EVIDENCE...had this had happened to someone you know you would of felt the same..TRUST ME..

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.