Severe thunderstorm cuts power, rains debris

A brief but violent storm blew through the Augusta and Aiken areas Thursday evening, causing downed power lines and widespread debris from fallen tree limbs.

About 4,300 Georgia Power customers lost power during the storm, with the majority of the outages in Richmond and Columbia counties, company spokeswoman Carol Boatwright said. At least 2,500 people lost power in Aiken, Saluda and Barnwell counties, according to Rhonda O'Banion, of South Carolina Electric and Gas.

Richmond County dispatchers reported no injuries but said work crews had to respond to several downed power lines and trees. One of those was at the intersection of Broad and 13th streets, where a large limb smashed into a couple's car as they sat at a traffic light. The couple were unharmed but traffic was limited to one lane for several hours.

Wind speeds reached about 49 mph at Daniel Field, according to Dan Miller, forecaster for the National Weather Service in Columbia.

Several downed trees in North Augusta blocked traffic at Columbus Avenue and Pershing Drive and Womrath Road at Norman Street, according to North Augusta dispatchers.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/19/09 - 06:49 am
I was caught half way between

I was caught half way between North Augusta and Edgefield (with a car load of kids) when this storm hit. It was a real hash marker. The children thought the trees were reaching for us. Interesting times.

ironpurps
ironpurps 06/19/09 - 07:00 am
What took Georgia Power so

What took Georgia Power so long to get power back on in Columbia County? How about an article that gives more information. WJBF had better coverage on their web site.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/19/09 - 07:41 am
It was 4:30 am before I got

It was 4:30 am before I got power, I am glad they got here before the sun came up.

lovingmom
lovingmom 06/19/09 - 08:43 am
I did not get my power back

I did not get my power back until 2:30am but I knew the power crew were doing the best they could to restore all power. I also understand why Nursing Homes, Hospitals, etc need there power back first. Thank you Jefferson Energy and other power crews for giving up your time off to restore my power.

HHSgrad
HHSgrad 06/19/09 - 09:33 am
I live in CC and lost power.

I live in CC and lost power. Jefferson Energy was able to restore that power sometime before midnight. I too, understand that there were other customers that may have needed power restored sooner - elderly, hospitals, etc or either they were able to report the outage sooner than I did. I am just glad that nobody was injured in this storm.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/19/09 - 12:15 pm
I enjoyed camping last night,

I enjoyed camping last night, sometimes its nice to get away from the luxuries in life.

Ode
Ode 06/19/09 - 02:01 pm
Why do the elderly need power

Why do the elderly need power restored sooner than anybody else?

Chuchi
Chuchi 06/19/09 - 05:32 pm
Oftentimes elderly people

Oftentimes elderly people rely upon medical equipment powered by electricity, like oxygen machines, etc. They usually have a battery backup but those don't last forever and they have to be recharged. The elderly also tend to be more vulnerable to weather-related physical problems such as heatstroke, which is an issue when the power goes out. I'm not sure, but I think hospitals and nursing homes are required to have emergency generators for backup, but obviously power crews have to get these places up and running first. There are lots of senior citizens in hospitals and nursing homes. So I suppose that's why restoring power to the elderly would be a top priority for repair crews.

whatsupwiththat
whatsupwiththat 06/20/09 - 01:04 am
To Ode: What a stupid post.

To Ode: What a stupid post. Do you live under a rock or are you just another example of our "ME" generation?