Injured suspect back in hospital

Police said Tuesday that they have a pretty good idea why the Aiken slaying suspect who walked out of a hospital last weekend came back Tuesday.

Slaying suspect Terrence Riley left the hospital Sunday.  Special
Special
Slaying suspect Terrence Riley left the hospital Sunday.

"He got to hurting, evidently," Aiken sheriff's Capt. Troy Elwell said. "My understanding is he came back to get some pain medication."

Capt. Elwell said doctors are evaluating Terrence Riley, 40, of Columbia, to determine whether he's well enough to be sent to a jail cell.

Mr. Riley was taken into custody Friday after being wounded in Aiken County in a fatal home invasion in which he is a suspect, police said. He was shot in his leg, lower abdomen and chest and at one point was listed in critical condition at Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

Police said he slipped out of the hospital while on a smoke break sometime Sunday.

He returned to the hospital's emergency room about 24 hours later, when he was recognized about 2 a.m. Tuesday by an Aiken city police officer.

Capt. Elwell said he was thankful to the officer who spotted Mr. Riley.

"He was checked into the hospital; he then left the hospital; and he's gone back to the hospital again; and we have yet to hear from the hospital," the captain said Tuesday. "I don't know where we would be at this particular moment if it were not for an Aiken Public Safety officer spotting him waiting."

Capt. Elwell said his office is now waiting on the hospital to give a medical clearance so Mr. Riley can be incarcerated. At that point, Richmond County deputies would take him to the Richmond County jail, where he could then waive or fight extradition. Once the extradition process is complete, he could be taken to the Aiken County Detention Center.

"It's going to take some amount of time," Capt. Elwell said.

Mr. Riley -- whose room is now under guard -- will be charged with murder, possession of a weapon during the commission of a crime, first-degree burglary and attempted armed robbery, Capt. Elwell said.

He would not be charged with escape because when he left the hospital he had not been served an arrest warrant, the captain said.

Reach Preston Sparks and Stephanie Toone at (706) 724-0851.

APiratesLife4Me
APiratesLife4Me 06/17/09 - 04:02 am
This will end up on late

This will end up on late night tv jokes.

Reality
Reality 06/17/09 - 06:49 am
Why wasn't a police officer

Why wasn't a police officer watching him the first time? Lets see, a murder suspect, he will wait for you to come and arrest him at the hospital, maybe they will give him a pr bond.

EMAGUY
EMAGUY 06/17/09 - 07:44 am
Reality: I believe the Aiken

Reality: I believe the Aiken County Sheriff's Office said he was not arrested and placed under guard because of his medical condition. In another interview, I believe the ACSO spokesman said if he was under arrest, Aiken County would be responsible for his medical bills.

Reality
Reality 06/17/09 - 07:53 am
I would bet he doesn't have

I would bet he doesn't have insurance and lives off of the system anyway. He couldn't have been that bad off if he could go outside for a cigarette break. If he wasn't a suspect at the time, I can understand that, most people come to the hospital shot up with a good excuse...

Frank I
Frank I 06/17/09 - 08:04 am
they didn't say he wasn't a

they didn't say he wasn't a suspect, they said he had not been formally charged.. that was so ACSO would not be held responsible.. I think however that MCG should sue ACSO to recoup medical expenses incurred while treating this leech on society

Native007
Native007 06/17/09 - 08:58 am
Am I the only one that finds

Am I the only one that finds this guy a little humerous? He gets shot 3 times committing a crime, slips out of the hospital, and had to COME BACK because he "got to hurting." What a smooth criminal.. His goofy picture says so much.

trucksareforgirlz
trucksareforgirlz 06/17/09 - 11:55 am
I'm confused. He was shot 3

I'm confused. He was shot 3 times, with one shot hitting him in his chest. How in the world could he take a smoke break? He must have been SERIOUSLY "jones-ing" for a cigarette. Also, if he was taken into custody Friday, how could he have wandered off, let alone be allowed to have an unsupervised smoke break? Who had custody? And again I wonder how he could have "lit up" for a smoke break if he was literally "shot up" with 3 very real bullet holes that, from the story, placed him in critical condition. Doesn't critical condition usually require intensive care treatment? At least his "jones-ing" for pain meds got him back in custody where I hope this murdering piece of filth stays.

NedaKlugh
NedaKlugh 06/17/09 - 12:34 pm
THe reason why he was not

THe reason why he was not arrested the first time is as soon as you arrest someone - the state picks up all costs, including his care in the hospital. Police ususally keep an eye on the suspect and as soon as they are discharged, then they arrest them. The suspect is responsible for his first bill. He probably doesn't have insurance and we will end up paying anyway.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 06/17/09 - 12:48 pm
Yes we will be paying for his

Yes we will be paying for his stay. At my expense

JustLilMe
JustLilMe 06/17/09 - 01:38 pm
I'm responding to NedaKlugh's

I'm responding to NedaKlugh's 12:34 comment- I want to know how the cops "keep and eye on the suspect" if there aren't any cops with the patient and he's not been charged yet? I want a clue-fill me in?

getagrip
getagrip 06/17/09 - 02:29 pm
We've probably been paying

We've probably been paying for everything for his entire life already so what's a little hospital bill and 35 years in Prison going to hurt...and since when is it the hospital's responsibility to call the police when a suspect goes missing anyway, They should already know where he is at all times, This is a joke right?

happythoughts
happythoughts 06/17/09 - 05:44 pm
why wasn't law enforcement

why wasn't law enforcement guarding a suspect during transition. He was very well a suspect even if he wasn't charged and should have been guarded until apprehended. Law enforcement shouldn't be responsible for his medical bills. He should have his own medical insurance at age 40. Government needs to stop changing diapers, Reading about bad people like this make you think he was being supported by the government or should I say working Americans. Raised to be rotten by gov.

WW1949
WW1949 06/19/09 - 10:13 pm
Happy thoughts, how do you

Happy thoughts, how do you think he could afford health insurance? Mine and my wifes is $956.00 per month. Her employer doesn't have a plan and I own my own business so I do not have one either for my employees or myself. Only large companies can afford to pay part of their employees insurance. And why should Aiken County or Georgia pick up this person's bill. They thought he was going to die and should have let him. He should have been taken to a South Carolina Hospital instead of a Georgia Hospital as should all Aiken County indigent patients.

Commission plays 'Let's Make A Deal'

Political rumors are running wild in Augusta just like goats at city detention ponds. For example, here are e-mails that have been making the rounds.