Apartment rezonings to be halted for year

Columbia County commissioners approved Tuesday a yearlong moratorium on apartment rezonings.

The resolution adopted by the commission said that officials want to review public concerns over multifamily housing and examine ordinances governing the zoning for such housing.

"The board has received expressions of concern from various elected officials and citizens concerning the substantial increase in multi-family housing in the county and feels that it needs to review and study the situation in order to protect the best interests of Columbia County," according to the resolution.

The county no longer will accept applications to rezone property for townhouses; apartments; planned unit developments that include apartments; or planned development districts that include apartments, condominiums or townhouses.

Commission Chairman Ron Cross requested the moratorium last month after debate over site-plan revisions for Marshall Square. Developers of the 47-acre property on Evans Town Center Boulevard had proposed an apartment density far greater than the 14 units per acre allowed in other zonings.

Though developers were requesting 288 apartment units, commissioners limited them to 189. The developers have filed a $57.5 million lawsuit against Columbia County over the commission's decision.

Mr. Cross said the debate highlighted the need for greater clarity in the law.

According to the resolution, there were only 1,430 apartment units in Columbia County from 1971 to 2007.

Currently, 602 apartment units are under construction. Another 1,500 apartments can be built in the county on land already zoned for that use.

Reach Donnie Fetter at (706) 868-1222, ext. 115, or donnie.fetter@augustachronicle.com.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/17/09 - 03:32 am
Federal courts have struck

Federal courts have struck down attempts by counties to limit apartments. The ruling is that it is an attempt to keep low income individuals out. Think there is an element of truth to that in this case?

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/17/09 - 03:44 am
Yeah, I think there is, but

Yeah, I think there is, but so what? Besides, nobody can argue that there is an increase in crime with an increase in apartment dwellings. Does that mean that the criminals LIVE in those apartments?? No. I see nothing wrong with what the commissioners are doing...in fact, I just see them as being proactive, because once the lid is off and you let apartment complexes in, there's no closing that lid.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 06/17/09 - 06:45 am
Apartments bring down the

Apartments bring down the value of houses and neighborhoods.. If those apartments accept anybody then there is a chance that criminal activities are brought to the area.. I know because I am going through that right now.. The apartment complex that I am in currently used to be safe and a nice place to live and once my neighbor moved in and brought that son of hers, there has been break ins into the apartments, cars, things stolen of the porches and the area between my apartment and hers is nothing but trash..and I have complained several times to management but they do not do anything..

bone
bone 06/17/09 - 06:45 am
let the federal courts live

let the federal courts live next to / in apartment complexes for a li'l while and see how they feel about it....

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/17/09 - 07:56 am
RM may be correct about what

RM may be correct about what some federal courts have done in some jurisdictions somewhere in the country. But this moratorium may be the best thing for the county at this time. They can take a breather and clean up their ordinances regarding multi-family dwellings and be ready to move ahead when the moratium for apartment construction is lifted. Note that the moratorium is for RE-ZONINGS. There is land already zoned for apartments in the county, and apartments can be built there if the demand is out there. The county does not need to fear federal lawsuits, because it would take more than a year to get the ball rolling in a federal lawsuit, and the moratorium will be over by then.

andywarhol
andywarhol 06/17/09 - 07:57 am
I should've bought in

I should've bought in Columbia Co back in 2001 when I bought in Richmond. This is a step in the right direction. Whereas we have Richmond county going the opposite way by breaking up projects and embedding these knuckleheads in our neighborhoods.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 06/17/09 - 08:00 am
I would not buy a house in

I would not buy a house in Richmond County unless is one those half million homes and I can't afford that.. I rather buy in Columbia County or simply some where else..

workingmom
workingmom 06/17/09 - 11:41 am

Thank goodness this decision was reached last night. I would prefer NO more apartments or inexpensive townhomes to be built in CC. People move to CC for many reasons....to have better schools for their children and to live in neighborhoods with people who have the same priorities, values, and work ethics (among other reasons).

gnx
gnx 06/17/09 - 03:18 pm
CC isn't any better than

CC isn't any better than anyplace else. It used to be back when it was mostly rural and everyone knew each other, but it is no longer. Now it's just becoming another Atlanta type suburb with murky undercurrents and even more reason to enlarge the police force. You think just because the prices are higher, the schools are a little newer and your neighborhood is supposedly filled with like-minded people that so-called riffraff aren't already living or moving here? Guess again.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 06/17/09 - 03:23 pm
Overheard in Columbia County

Overheard in Columbia County recently----"We are getting a lot of blacks out here--we got to stop so many coming".
I guess this will stop some of the blacks.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/17/09 - 03:57 pm
Why am I having a hard time

Why am I having a hard time believing Rozzie's post?

bone
bone 06/17/09 - 04:02 pm
gnx : hope you enjoy your

gnx : hope you enjoy your stay in RC. believe whatever you want if it makes you happy.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/17/09 - 06:22 pm
gnx, I agree. The people

gnx, I agree. The people that fled 30906 in the 70's were fleeing the blacks, plain and simple. They said so and I thought that was wrong. We stayed because we wanted to be around people with the same priorities, values and work ethics, the members of our church, who were mostly military, blue collar, or white collar and I didn't care what race they were if they shared my Christian moral values. I moved to Martinez for a short while to be close to my job and was surrounded by rednecks, so I consented when my fiance told me he wanted to move back to 30906, where he and I grew up. We didn't know the drug trade had moved in while we were gone. We found out very fast. But guess where the tags were from on the cars whose drivers were "buying" around the corner on Wednesday evenings while mummy and daddy were in church? Columbia County. They had more discretionary income than the local kids. If they hadn't been so noisy, with the boom boom boom, I wouldn't have thought anything of the increased traffic on Wednesdays. I just thought it odd that on church nights in a Baptist area, we'd be hearing those foul lyrics and loud music. So I noticed.

workingmom
workingmom 06/17/09 - 06:41 pm
I disagree with you gnx. I do

I disagree with you gnx. I do realize that there are going to be all kinds of people living in every community. Yes, there are a few in my neighborhood who aren't perfect citizens but I'm pretty sure there are less of those types in CC than in RC. If it ever gets to the point where my family does not feel safe and we cannot enjoy where we live, then we will move to another location. But, for the moment, I am perfectly happy living where I am.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/17/09 - 06:53 pm
I agree that there seem to be

I agree that there seem to be more "not perfect" citizens in Richmond County, now, BUT that is not WHY people from here began to move to Columbia County in the late 60's through the 70's. Some were prejudiced and running away from blacks. Some were running away from the higher taxes in Richmond County, because taxes were still low in Columbia County in the that time period. More fled around the time of consolidation. Some were just following their friends out there. Some left Richmond County for jobs in other cities, eventually found there way back, discovered the increase in crime in Richmond County so decided to be prudent and check out Columbia County, which by then started looking attractive in the balance. Some had a combination of these factors. Members of our church stuck around 30906 until their children grew up because they liked the diversity and not just tolerance, but embracing of diversity in our church. Columbia County wasn't a mecca for people with better values during that time, I saw plenty of druggies and potheads go there so they could have more "elbow room" for their habits, less police out there.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/17/09 - 07:08 pm
And also note. When both

And also note. When both parents work full-time they rarely know what's going in their communities while they are gone. Just because DINKs (dual-income no kids) and DIWKs (dual income with kids) don't see things happening in their neighborhoods while they are at work, doesn't mean that all is well. Columbia county doesn't have many stay at home parents to monitor daytime activities. A senior in Evans, accidentally approved me on a certain site, and the stuff she and her friends were bragging about would appall any parent, before the senior realized her error and got "not a mamma!" off her friends list. You can try to find a "better" community, but anyone can be deceived. I had no idea that child had such a potty mouth, and was into stuff she shouldn't be, the only previous clue being when I found out all her sisters' and her nickname for their mom was the "b" word. That behavior certainly wasn't something I wanted any child to emulate.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/17/09 - 07:12 pm
In other words, for busy

In other words, for busy parents, the riff raff might be right under their roof and they don't even know it. It's not their fault, they are working hard to provide for those children, but there are always going to be children that succumb to temptations when no one is looking, even when they are being taught right during "quality time". Free will and trust. Some succeed under those conditions, some fail.

workingmom
workingmom 06/17/09 - 07:40 pm
Baroness, do you think

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 06/17/09 - 08:08 pm
bone, I live in CC.

bone, I live in CC.

bone
bone 06/17/09 - 08:37 pm
i've edited my post, rozzie.

i've edited my post, rozzie. i shouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that you lived in RC; i'm just not used to seeing CC residents badmouth our fine community. baroness, i usually agree with your posts, but i have to point out that many stay at home parents in RC do far worse child monitoring than the latchkey families in CC. to imply that few parents in CC stay at home with kids is not accurate: at the school where i teach, the percentage of students with a stay-at-home parents is quite high and it was the same way at the other schools i've taught at in CC. i'm aware that significant drug problems exist in CC - but even you pointed out that the availability of drugs for purchase is still highest in RC.

Taylor B
Taylor B 06/17/09 - 09:05 pm
I moved from CC to RC and

I moved from CC to RC and couldn't be happier. I also lived in an apartment in CC, and the only problem we had police wise was with the on site manager in a domestic violence incident.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/17/09 - 09:22 pm
Remember, boys and girls,

Remember, boys and girls, that this "moratorium" is for re-zoning applications and it is only for one year. It will give the government time to modify their ordinances - - likely the result will be more government power.

Ode
Ode 06/17/09 - 10:39 pm
Oh I'd say it also has

Oh I'd say it also has something to do with delaying the lawsuit filed by the Marshall Square developers.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/24/09 - 10:00 pm
"Baroness, do you think

"Baroness, do you think everyone in CC works and does not know what their children are doing? Young people say negative things about their parents more than you realize apparently. I have listened to teenagers "vent" to me about a rule or punishment that has been enforced at their home, among other things about their parents as recent as this past week. It is part of growing up and finding their place in the world. That doesn't mean the parents aren't aware of it. There are children who come from wonderful parents who make poor choices, such as having children out of wedlock using drugs or breaking the law. And although this has nothing to do with the topic, there are adults out there who do worse things than that in every county. I don't really care why people moved from RC to CC almost 40 years ago. The article was addressing the meeting last night (in 2009). I still would rather live in CC....for the time being anyway.
Posted by workingmom on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:40 PM" No, workingmom, I don't (your first question), and I'm not JUST talking about 40 years ago, I'm talking about from then to the present. I realize full well what young people are saying about their parents.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/24/09 - 10:12 pm
And as usual, workingmom has

And as usual, workingmom has pretty much rephrased what I have said in these and previous posts, yet made it seem as if she is contradicting me. As far as your living in CC, I'm glad you're living there, too. bone, I'm not talking about the parents that are home, I'm talking about the parents that aren't. And some stay-at-home parents are too busy with their bridge club, church volunteering, and other social activities to pay attention to their kids, they might as well be working parents, they're so unengaged with their children. I don't think that there are more drugs available for purchase in RC, I just think that Columbia county kids have more mobility and "allowance" to access and purchase them than RC kids, whichever county they are buying from. When Columbia county kids come through here they stick out pretty noticeably.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/24/09 - 11:39 pm
Ladies, ladies, please!

Ladies, ladies, please! Let's calm down and return to what this article is all about. Columbia County has too many vacant retail shop space and too much vacant warehouse space. Columbia County has too many unsold single-family homes. Therefore, the vulture devolopers wish to build apartments until there are too many unrented apartments so things balance out. Let's not fight.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/28/09 - 04:27 pm
LOL Little Lamb, what I was

LOL Little Lamb, what I was trying to say is that despite how my words were addressed, I am not in disagreement.