Man, missing wife found dead in Alabama

Police said Tuesday they think an Augusta man took his own life at an interstate rest stop after killing his estranged wife last weekend, placing her body in the trunk of her car, then driving to Alabama.

Back | Next
Jessica Murphy, who had been missing since Saturday, was found dead with estranged husband Scottie Murphy.  Special
Special

Sheriff's deputies in Conecuh County, south of Montgomery, said they were called to a rest stop off Interstate 65 about 8 a.m. to investigate a possible suicide. They found the body of Scottie Murphy, of Augusta, in the vehicle's front seat and the body of his wife, Jessica Murphy, in the trunk.

Ms. Murphy, 30, an employee of The Augusta Chronicle advertising department, was reported missing Saturday after she did not come to work.

"All her Chronicle co-workers will miss Jessica, who was a loyal and conscientious employee," said President Don Bailey. "She always talked about how the work at the newspaper meant so much to her. I will say her attitude and performance meant just as much to us. Our hearts go out to her family."

Local investigators said they suspect Ms. Murphy was killed Saturday after dropping by the Tubman Street apartment where she had lived with Mr. Murphy. Police are awaiting autopsy results to determine the cause of her death.

Richmond County sheriff's Investigator James Kelly said Mr. Murphy appeared to have died of a self-inflicted gunshot to the head.

Police said they don't know why he drove to Alabama.

Reach Bill Kirby at (706) 823-3344 or bill.kirby@augustachronicle.com.

message
message 06/17/09 - 03:46 am
This is horrible!!! white on

This is horrible!!! white on white suicide killing must halt..

Nammy3
Nammy3 06/17/09 - 04:42 am
message-take your "message"

message-take your "message" elsewhere, this is not the time or thread for it. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends and the AC.

Bushmaster
Bushmaster 06/17/09 - 04:53 am
The deranged mind of this

The deranged mind of this killer did not reconize white, black or others of color. He choose to take a life, an innocent decent person, and then as most cowards are, took his own. The only good out of this is now we, and his family will not have to endure any trials, prison terms or appeals that will last for 20 years while he would have set in jail.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/17/09 - 05:25 am
The ultimate sign of

The ultimate sign of selfishness. What religion has a way to forgive this action? As a final act of his, this man has assured his afterlife.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 06/17/09 - 05:46 am
My heart goes out to the

My heart goes out to the family, I don't understand why people can't see that life moves forward after they lose a mate. But I have to say nammy it seems to be ok to post comments about black on black crime on the same forum, which is done quite frequently here. And when did patriciathomas become a philosopher, why don't you post some of the ignorant crap you usually post when the people involved are black.

SCGAL53
SCGAL53 06/17/09 - 06:01 am
This is not the place to post

This is not the place to post your senseless, cruel, racist comments. Show the family some respect and take your comments elsewhere. My prayers are with this family.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 06/17/09 - 06:15 am
message, why don't you grab

message, why don't you grab YOUR pistol?

colcamp1
colcamp1 06/17/09 - 06:19 am
While it is not the tome nor

While it is not the tome nor place for message's comment, I cannot help but agree with pantherluck. You never hear any of these protest when the comments are made about Black victims of crime. To the contrary, you read all kinds of insensitive remarks.

lady_alessandra
lady_alessandra 06/17/09 - 07:05 am
This is just so sad. My heart

This is just so sad. My heart goes out to the ones they left behind.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/17/09 - 07:12 am
There are always insensitive

There are always insensitive remarks on here from certain people and some of you are right about the comments when it comes to black on black crimes but you have to overlook ignorance. I feel saddened for both of these families, they have both lost a loved one and I pray for them all. I don't understand how taking a life has become so easy for people these days, no respect for ones self or anyone else.

Tots
Tots 06/17/09 - 07:21 am
I dont know what messaage

I dont know what messaage said cause someone took it off.But I do agree with Scgal53 @7:01.....God bless the family.

Tots
Tots 06/17/09 - 07:41 am
I dont think it was the

I dont think it was the ultimate sign of selfness for him or the man who killed his wife and another man then took his life.I think both men did the right thing. They judged themselves to be unfit and guilty.They saved the taxpayers some money and the familys left the pain of a trial.I do feel sorry for any children thats left behind.But in the end this was the best result.Dont wont to hear how the men will go to he'wl cause thats were most of us wont them to go.RIGHT???BE FOR REAL......

Son of God
Son of God 06/17/09 - 08:02 am
May God bless all of the

May God bless all of the family members involved on both sides of the deceased. Jesus is soon to come. Will he catch us still without compassion and love for one another? As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he. I pray God blessings on everyone who commented, their co-workers. friends, family, and enemies. May they all be blessed as God grace and mercy abound. we all have a chance to repent. Satan is still roaming, seeking who else he can devour. We must not yeild to him but continue to pray for strength from God to sustain us from all of these fiery darts of the wicked. We have overcome the world by the blood of the Lamb. This young lady now has ETERNAL LIFE. That's God promise. She no longer has to worry about people making rude comments, paying bills, fearing her estranged husband, or anything else that this world has to offer. She has passed fron death to life. To both families, I love you and may God shine his light of peace, serenity, love, and forgiveness upon you. Jesus will be back soon. Let's get ready. The time is out for playing with God. we must BE REAL OR BE STILL.

sueboo418
sueboo418 06/17/09 - 08:16 am
Tots I'm not quite following

Tots I'm not quite following here, you think he did the right thing? ??? The best result was taking the life of an innocent person????? What is wrong with you?

AAQueen
AAQueen 06/17/09 - 08:27 am
SoG I bet my last dollar that

SoG
I bet my last dollar that her family wishes her in this life and not eternal life. The platitudes of family being in a better place when they die, athough true, ireally stinks. If it was a fatal illness I can understand that, but when a selfish husband sends her to eternity, then thats a different story. What difference she could have made or offered this world willnever be known.
Gods blessing would have been enough.

MAY THE LORD BE WITH THIS FAMILY AT THEIR TIME OF TRAGEDY.

zigzag
zigzag 06/17/09 - 08:39 am
Son of God - take your rants

Son of God - take your rants to the Religion section! You're annoying and quite predictable. Everything goes great - God is wonderful. Things go bad - humans are horrible and don't listen to God. Enough already!

Hot - Hat
Hot - Hat 06/17/09 - 08:57 am
How sad, I was on my way to

How sad, I was on my way to Atmore, Alabama yesterday morning and drove past the crime scene. I was saddened to learn the discovery was that of a young husband and wife resulting in a murder -suicide. Being an Augusta native it was sad to learn that the people involved were from Augusta.

Rose
Rose 06/17/09 - 10:15 am
Looks to me as if Tots was

Looks to me as if Tots was not saying it was alright to kill the victim, but it was alright for the men to kill themselves. Read 8:41 again.

sueboo418
sueboo418 06/17/09 - 11:15 am
Read it again Rose and to me

Read it again Rose and to me it still reads that what happened was the best result and how can you say or think that when an innocent person was murdered. The best result would have been for this [filtered word]to take his own life NOT hers as well. She did not deserve this. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.

ajones
ajones 06/17/09 - 11:50 am
My prayers go out to the

My prayers go out to the family.

coupe30
coupe30 06/17/09 - 12:03 pm
I am part of the family and

I am part of the family and can tell you it really hurts. She was a sweet person who was finally getting her life together. We found a photo in our digital camera last night of her smiling at a family birthday party. The immediate family has suffered so much in the last few years and this is one trip to August I will not enjoy. Thank you Augusta for the prayers and thoughts.
Like one comment stated above ; we have to come to grips with this domestic violence problem.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/17/09 - 02:32 pm
I'm confused by tots comment

I'm confused by tots comment also, not sure exactly what is meant?

gnx
gnx 06/17/09 - 03:10 pm
My thoughts and prayers to

My thoughts and prayers to Jessica's family and friends.

Tots
Tots 06/17/09 - 04:16 pm
I'm back and I'm sorry if you

I'm back and I'm sorry if you are confused by my comment so I'm going to tell you what I was saying and I never said anything about it being alright to kill any innocent victims.I would never say that.I would like for her family to know I send them my love and prayers.(Sueboo418-I was saying I think he did the right thing by takeing his own life.Read the post Rascal123posted@ 5:53am.My comment was to that post.Thank you Rose@11:15am for understanding what I was saying.Guess some people dont read all the post before makeing comments.But I've also done that.And maybe I didnt word it just right.Do you understand now?????????????????? THANK YOU

Tots
Tots 06/17/09 - 04:28 pm
Forgot to tell you to go back

Forgot to tell you to go back and read Patricathomas@6:25am.My comment about the ultimate selfishness was to that post.

Son of God
Son of God 06/17/09 - 08:24 pm

Thank you for your response Mr. Zigzag. If you are truly a son of God and your spirit bear witness to my spirit then you would understand the truth and only truth which is the word of God. Yes, it it truly tramatic and WORLDLY what happened. You must know on both sides of the family that someone is in need of God's strength and miraculous power right now. Read Deuteronomy 32:39 in the bible and listen to what God says in his word to us. There is nothing wrong with showing unconditional love to everyone at this tragic and much needed time. Enough hatred, jealousy, unforgivenrss,etc. is already present. I pray that God give you everything that you need to appreciate his spoken word when you hear it. All I have for you is Love and there is nothing that you can do about it. Miss Murray was a wonderful and kind person according to her family and co-workers and her SPIRIT STILL LIVE ON FLOWING WITH LOVE! We as christians should immediately pray for both families and PREPARE OUR WAY! Jesus is coming. Miss Murray is standing at the PEARLY GATES OF HEAVEN WITH HER NAME WRITTEN IN THE LAMB BOOK OF LIFE WAITING FOR JUDGEMENT DAY.My prayer for us is GOD HAVE GRACE AND MERCY AND KEEP US AMEN...

mable8
mable8 06/17/09 - 11:08 pm
When a person wants to commit

When a person wants to commit suicide, fine; but it is an act of cowardice when that person takes another's life as well. Heartfelt condolences to the families.

Tots
Tots 06/18/09 - 12:13 pm
I would say it was an act of

I would say it was an act of selfness for him to take another persons life when he took his own.But yes he sounds like a coward also.

crackerjack