Don 't endanger the passage of SPLOST

Please, please, don't endanger the passage of SPLOST, I beg you!

Please think of all the repairs our wonderful city needs, the flooding that could be stopped and the improvements to our parks and inner city.

Please think of all the financially needy, as well as physically handicapped children who would love to attend the Jessye Norman School, if only it had an elevator!

Think of the economic stimulus to downtown that a restored, bright and happy Miller Theater would bring -- lots of folks coming downtown bringing their purses and billfolds with them.

Think of all the jobs with all that sawing, hammering and brick-laying!

Think of the lift that passing SPLOST would bring to our beleaguered city.

We can become a destination city like Chattanooga, Columbia, Greenville or Columbus.

Maybe we can't compete with Nashville, Charleston and Savannah, but we surely can with Chattanooga and Greenville if we save what we already have, clean up, beautify and get to work!

Please!

Pat Knox Hudson, Augusta

KingoftheUSA
KingoftheUSA 06/15/09 - 04:14 am
Pat, you forgot how all the

Pat, you forgot how all the children in Richmond County will become more fit by all the swimming they can do at the Regency Mall Lake. On second thought, never mind, I just checked my pockets and discovered I don't have any CHANGE. But when I do get a few more pennies, I'm going to keep them. My vote is NO.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/15/09 - 04:41 am
Ms. Pat Knox Hudson, (I guess

Ms. Pat Knox Hudson, (I guess the Hudson part is not all that important), Columbia, Greenville and Columbus are destination cities more than Augusta? I think not. Our golf, riding and hunting bring in guests from around the world. Vote no.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 06/15/09 - 05:48 am
no splost!

no splost!

bone
bone 06/15/09 - 06:43 am
the miller theater as a

the miller theater as a centerpiece for downtown revitalization? downtown already has an underused venue: the imperial theater. are there children who can't attend the jessye norman school because it doesn't have an elevator? under ADA, the students' parents can demand that one be installed - AND get federal funds for doing it! as far as competing with chattanooga (visit the aquariums - WOW) and greenville, i don't think we're going to cause any interstate traffic to suddenly veer in our direction by passing SPLOST (yes, i know i don't have a dog in this fight since i'm a CC resident).

dhd1108
dhd1108 06/15/09 - 07:28 am
ya know.. if splost was

ya know.. if splost was PURELY infrastructure.. I probably would've voted for it. Now, columnist Johnny Edwards believes more of the YES voters will turn out because they have a tangible vested interest. Here's to hoping all the posters here who say no.. will actually go to the marble palace tomorrow. As for me, I "early voted".

Tots
Tots 06/15/09 - 07:40 am
I voted no.Hope you will get

I voted no.Hope you will get out and vote no also.Have a great day.Stay out of the heat or drink plenty of water.

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 06/15/09 - 08:26 am
The main reason people are

The main reason people are suspicious and unlikely to vote for the SPLOST is because of them putting it on this summer ballot. The people that are running the chicken house know more about the fox than does the fox. If it is a good plan then the people will see it that way. If it isn't, then that will also be obvious. What it amounts to is disrespect. They don't think you are smart enough to vote with your mind. Done this way every year.

MJDW
MJDW 06/15/09 - 09:19 am
Vote NO! Homeowners your

Vote NO! Homeowners your taxes will not go up overnight, we still have time to have a SPLOST to benifit all of Richmond county.

imdstuf
imdstuf 06/15/09 - 10:31 am
We are NOT a tourist

We are NOT a tourist destination EXPCEPT during Masters. Get it through your skull.

mad_max
mad_max 06/15/09 - 11:12 am
Ah, another rich person who

Ah, another rich person who wants you to spend YOUR tax dollars on her pet projects. Vote NO on SPLOST. Vote NO on the next SPLOST. Continue to vote NO on all SPLOST until the commissioners show that they can function at at least the basic moron level instead of the clown level. Continue to vote NO on SPLOST until all of the proposed projects are infrastructure projects. No SPLOST money for private organizations and non-profits. PRIVATE organizations should be supported by the people who can afford to contribute to them....like Ms. KNOX hudson. Vote NO this week. Vote NO again in Novermber. Vote NO next year. Vote NO until we get a decent government. County residents, start figuring out how to DISSOLVE CONSOLIDATION. It doesn't work and nothing that was promised has come to pass. We should be able to dissolve consolidation based solely of false advertising. The county residents sure took it in the shorts on that deal and look what we got for out money.

jack
jack 06/15/09 - 11:22 am
I believe that the arts is

I believe that the arts is important in any city, so the Augusta Symphony should be supported NOT as a private organizastion, but represetnatives of our city. However, I do not believe Paine College, a totally private institution not for the general public, should get NO SPLOST funds. I also see very little street pavining/maintenance and Augusta has the worst streets I have ever driven on anywhere. Property owners in Augusta (such as Betty Beard as an example) should be required to maintain that property and not the tax payers or have it condemned. Even non-resident land lords could be made to maintain their property or lose it. I moved to North Augusta a few years ago to escape all the racial shenanigans that goes on in your local "government" (Commission) since consolidation. I would vote a loud NO for this SPLOST until the old SPLOST is spent on the projects voted on and approved. It has becomea commission pet rock fund and nothing more.

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 06/15/09 - 11:36 am
I will vote yes only and only

I will vote yes only and only if Betty Beard quits TODAY. ok Ms. Beard---Will you do the right thing for Augusta or keep your job????

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 06/15/09 - 12:45 pm
there's splost money that's

there's splost money that's not spent from previous years...what are they gong to do, get more splost money and what...not spend that either and when the next splost proposal comes up say how much they need it for badly needed infrastructure repairs that they have yet to complete with monies collected in the past..give me a break...it's just another way to hoard sales tax dollars to help balance the budget and generate intrest revenue

Tots
Tots 06/15/09 - 06:10 pm
It"s a merry- go -round the

It"s a merry- go -round the commissioners got us on it and dont wont to let us off.I wont off so I voted NO.

Taylor B
Taylor B 06/15/09 - 07:23 pm
Pat Knox Hudson is a trustee

Pat Knox Hudson is a trustee of the Knox foundation. This is a foundation that just gave ASU 2 million dollars! Now, looks like that foundation could probably polish the Miller a little better that my tax dollars. Hmmm.... didn't a Knox used to own the theater? Hmmmm.... conflict of interest perhaps? I bet this is happening more than we think... SHENANIGANS! VOTE NOOOO!!!

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/15/09 - 08:24 pm
I already voted NO NO NO NO

I already voted NO NO NO NO NO

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 06/15/09 - 11:06 pm
I voted yes and hope the

I voted yes and hope the cream of the crop citizens will vote yes too.The museum and symphony people deserve something. Many of them pay hugh amount of property tax. Also, I believe Paine's new athletic complex will be an asset to the medical center