Gospel Warriors act out praise in mime

Watch Quinton Taylor and Kadarius Thomas, Gospel mime dancers, during a recent performance in the Augusta area.

Three years ago, two young men from Aiken decided to take the praise dancing they performed at their church to the next level.

Their stage name evolved from the Dance Warriors to the Gospel Warriors, their wardrobe got a redesign, and their faces got a coat of white paint and black lipstick.

Kadarius Thomas, 15, and Quinton Taylor, 18, adopted a miming style that emphasizes sharp movements and crisp facial expressions, but is always centered on God.

They are members of Second Baptist Church and perform mostly on the weekends, during or after church services or at special events.

The Aiken High School students try to rehearse every Tuesday and Thursday, usually after a day at school or three hours of football practice.

"It's hard sometimes, but we just have to swallow our pride and do what you have to do," Kadarius said.

Mr. Taylor is the adopted son of Patricia Thomas, and Kadarius is her grandson, but the teens treat each other like brothers, complete with inside jokes and playful bickering.

"We have our moments, but it passes and all is good after that," Mr. Taylor said.

They have to memorize the words to various gospel songs so they know when and how to move according to the lyrics. With little or no practice, either performer can break into the dance moves of about 100 songs they have learned.

With hard work comes the reward. They have performed across the Augusta area and the Southeast.

"They're much more popular than I ever thought they would be," Ms. Thomas said.

Kadarius said: "I want to take this worldwide. I like being in front of the cameras and people. I'm an entertainer. I love it."

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/14/09 - 08:20 am
So how is it that black

So how is it that black people can don white-face makeup and it's considered "artistic", but if white people don black-face makeup then that's considered racist and mocking? Just asking....

TELLITLIKEITIS1
TELLITLIKEITIS1 06/14/09 - 08:26 am
omg....black and white people

omg....black and white people mime...and use white face painting..you are sooo ignorant for that statement...stop trying to make everything a race issue you loser. lol!!!

TELLITLIKEITIS1
TELLITLIKEITIS1 06/14/09 - 08:28 am
and when white people used

and when white people used the black painting, they were imitating black people...this has nothing to do with that at all...wow...all of my employees are laughing at you right now..lol

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 06/14/09 - 08:53 am
-making a large rectangle

-making a large rectangle with my hands- -reaching for a door knob with my hand- -turning doorknob and opening door- -jumping out opened door to an unknown fate- -silent agonizing scream-

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 06/14/09 - 11:44 am
I plead the 5th..

I plead the 5th..

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/14/09 - 04:32 pm
Oh, my goodness!

Oh, my goodness! TELLITLIKEITIS?? I absolutely hate the idea of your employees laughing at me!! Okay..do you sense the sarcasm in that? In other words, I really don't care what you think of me, I'd rather you use your words and give me an answer to my valid question. I know full well why black-face was used by whites years ago, but why do you think black people specifically use the color white?? Why couldn't they have used a color that would have shown their expressions just as well (or better), and it wouldn't have appeared to be representative of another ethnicity? After all, that is EXACTLY why whites used the color black...to mock the black people. Now, if I were you, I'd tell "your" employees at McDonald's to stop worrying about what you're reading and that someone needs to go mop up the bathroom and someone else needs to fire up the french fries!

Shacklet
Shacklet 06/14/09 - 07:58 pm
I see no foul or harm in this

I see no foul or harm in this performance. These performers are merely exhibiting a dramatic and creative performance. In Europe, Africa, China, Japan or Asia and the painting of the face white is used often in many cultural performances. For example Kabuki in Japan which is a Japanese dance-drama. In China the famous Peking Opera uses white paint faces as the base color for projecting the emotions of characters to the audience. This is theatrical drama, not racism!