Golf Hall of Fame cleanup effort ruffles feathers

Anthony Esposito and his Growing Augusta the GreenWay volunteer group might have trouble getting permission to return to the Golf and Gardens property, which would wreck their long-term plans for maintaining the grounds.

Volunteers pull weeds at the Augusta Golf and Gardens Saturday June 6, 2009 during a cleanup of the overgrown property.  Chris Thelen/Staff
Chris Thelen/Staff

The Georgia Golf Hall of Fame's board of directors isn't happy with the way it went on Saturday, chairman Bryan Persons said in an e-mail Wednesday.

"All I can say right now is there are some logistical problems and our board was not pleased how the first cleanup was handled," he said. "It appeared to be a media event and the banner was very out of taste and a violation of our agreement."

During the cleanup, one of the volunteers hung a banner over the main gate reading, "Georgia Golf Hall of Shame, Property of the State of Georgia."

Mr. Esposito and 25 volunteers mowed and cut weeds in "the quad" -- the area around the pedestal where Bobby Jones' statue once stood -- the parking lot and the mini course.

Mr. Esposito said Wednesday that Mr. Persons told him by phone that he didn't appreciate the media coverage and that he might also have trouble finding someone to unlock the gates in the future. Former marketing director Robyn Jarrett unlocked them Saturday, but she has been laid off because of the golf hall's lack of funds.

Mr. Esposito had planned to do another cleanup June 27, then every other Saturday after that during the growing season, hopefully with help from other volunteer groups.

Reach Johnny Edwards at (706) 823-3225 or johnny.edwards@augustachronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/11/09 - 02:25 am
The "Hall of Fame" nightmare

The "Hall of Fame" nightmare continues. Politics as usual.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 06/11/09 - 02:31 am
ok, the sign was probably a

ok, the sign was probably a bad idea....but who really cares, they are making a terrible situation better. Why weren't the board members down there helping to make the place better? Instead, they act as if they did some great service by getting someone to stop by with a key to open the place for volunteers to clean it up. What a bunch of sorry loosers who obviously have the "better than thou" attitude about theirselves. The board obviously did a superior job running the place....into the ground!!

justus4
justus4 06/11/09 - 03:45 am
"might have problems finding

"might have problems finding someone to unlock the gate in the future" Ha! Thats a hoot! Well, at least he is honest about not liking the bad press, but they should work it out and tone down the personalities. Remember, its for the greater good.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/11/09 - 04:07 am
A good manager would have

A good manager would have said he didn't appreciate the sign and to please refrain from doing such things. Next he would have thanked the group for the clean-up. Mr. Persons instead levels threats that only hurt the property if carried out.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/11/09 - 04:44 am
The sign was a bad idea, and

The sign was a bad idea, and the media didn't help things out..except for maybe shaking the bushes and getting volunteers to know about the program. Now they may not be allowed back in. I'm thinking Esposito and his band of merry volunteers should've sprayed the whole place with Round-Up...then they wouldn't have to worry about coming back anytime soon!

dhd1108
dhd1108 06/11/09 - 05:46 am
oh boo hoo, the chair of a

oh boo hoo, the chair of a defunct board that wasted millions of taxpayer dollars is upset over a sign that states the truth. If they won't unlock the gates, I say we toss Persons and Jarret over the fence.

GuyIncognito
GuyIncognito 06/11/09 - 06:00 am
Its not like the sign was

Its not like the sign was slanderous. We might as well officially change the name. They should be ashamed for letting beautiful gardens fall into disrepair in so short a time. My only problem with the sign is that it was only a temporary fixture.

Martinez
Martinez 06/11/09 - 06:16 am
So someone help me understand

So someone help me understand this...... the sign was a public embarrassment but the overgrown weeds weren't?

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 06/11/09 - 06:33 am
For once, I agree with

For once, I agree with justus.

WAG
WAG 06/11/09 - 07:14 am
So help me out ... Why doesnt

So help me out ... Why doesnt the one getting paid go and cclean up. I know for a fact there are at least 2 people on the payroll. What exactly are they getting paid for. Like I said AC why dont you investigate the Golf Hall of Fame. Why get paid and it is not even open.. And who is paying them???? I would like to work from home and get paid for doing nothing...

pizzato
pizzato 06/11/09 - 07:14 am
Sounds like they have

Sounds like they have somethng to hide and the media coverage hit a nerve somewhere.

WAG
WAG 06/11/09 - 07:21 am
Yea like people getting paid

Yea like people getting paid and doing nothing....
Why do they even have a board....What exactly do they do???
Do they get paid? and if so for what.....Help me out AC... Investigate.

andywarhol
andywarhol 06/11/09 - 07:34 am
This thing is more of an

This thing is more of an eyesore than the xmart.

disssman
disssman 06/11/09 - 07:58 am
This is a perfevt example of

This is a perfevt example of why the splost should not be approved for non-profits until their boards of directors include appointed taxpayer members. I wonder if the head of this board has its private membership at heart of the public in general? No taxation without representation should be the thought as we get ready to vote for a SPLOST which is full of these type of organizations just waiting to spend your and my yaxes on their private little agendas.

skeptical
skeptical 06/11/09 - 07:58 am
Fascinating that a commercial

Fascinating that a commercial realtor from Macon is chairing the board of a defunct Augusta 'asset' that is being allowed to putrify. I suspect that - were it in Mr. Person's backyard - the response to the maintenance issue would be very different.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/11/09 - 08:02 am
A little birdie told me that

A little birdie told me that the board of directors could not find the key to the pretty iron gate, so the volunteers had to go in via the service entrance gate. Tear down this wall, Mr. Persons.

Jim-bob
Jim-bob 06/11/09 - 08:18 am
About 1/2 acre of the 17

About 1/2 acre of the 17 acres were cut. Only the small portion that can be seen from Reynolds Street. Looks like Esposito only wanted some free publicity. Keep it locked Mr. Persons.

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/11/09 - 08:40 am
Yeah, no doubt Esposito had a

Yeah, no doubt Esposito had a hidden agenda. Obviously, if you've ever been around any golf gurus or golf investors, they're not the nicest of people. In fact, most that I've run into are down right arrogant. The sign looks like an arrogant attempt to show up Person's arrogance.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/11/09 - 08:58 am
skeptical on Thu Jun 11, 2009

skeptical on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:58 AM When was the last time you visited Macon?

freedombelle
freedombelle 06/11/09 - 09:08 am
It was a great idea (minus

It was a great idea (minus the sign)and it doesn't matter how much was done in one day..if you think it wasn't enough then by all means GO HELP !!Also some people are NEVER satisfied, Mr. Persons..too bad they laid Robyn Jarret off in the nick-of-time !!!

canyouhearme
canyouhearme 06/11/09 - 09:14 am
Uh, can someone tell me why

Uh, can someone tell me why the Board of Directors were not there volunteering their time??? Also Jim-bo, where were you?

2tired2argueanymore
2tired2argueanymore 06/11/09 - 09:20 am
Looks as if you aren't going

Looks as if you aren't going to maintain the place there is no need for a board. I say lay them all off.

UPSETMANIA
UPSETMANIA 06/11/09 - 09:24 am
I live in Clearwater, South

I live in Clearwater, South Carolina and I was one of the handful of volunteers who cleaned up the Golf Hall of Fame and Gardens on June 6th. Let me tell you it was a mess when we arrived. We sweated and worked our tails off for about six hours. The end result looked super. I didn't see anyone from the board of directors out there working hard and busting a sweat. We even had a few kids working along side with the adults and doing their fair share of toil. I think all of the volunteers should be applauded for their efforts.

ironpurps
ironpurps 06/11/09 - 09:42 am
Can someone please tell me

Can someone please tell me why, with the hundreds of millions the Master's tourney has made in Augusta, Augusta National cannot spend a few million to keep this place up? Can"t they put some money in a community fund to make this a place of beauty downtown? They could hold fundraisers, etc.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 06/11/09 - 10:54 am
If there is no more golf &

If there is no more golf & gardens.. why is there a need to even have a board??? I'm sure they're still raking in a nice paycheck for doing nothing but complaining. Dissolve the board & hire a full time groundskeeper to keep the property up until something can be done with it.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 06/11/09 - 11:47 am
No matter what happens in

No matter what happens in Augusta, it always turns into a huge circus -
How can we get the email of that moron that stopped the whole thing? Wish we could drop him our opinion until his 'cup runeth over'!!

coco rubio
coco rubio 06/11/09 - 11:50 am
we have a board for this

we have a board for this place? why?

corgimom
corgimom 06/11/09 - 12:36 pm
If you were trying to sell

If you were trying to sell your land for a gazillion dollars to be used on a boondoggle ballpark, why would you cut the weeds?

rufus
rufus 06/11/09 - 12:36 pm
True volunteers work in

True volunteers work in obscurity. These hacks are political with an agenda

JustMe
JustMe 06/11/09 - 12:39 pm
Do board member get paid??? I

Do board member get paid??? I am not sure that they do.