Bond denied for teen driver in wreck

Police arrested a 16-year-old Martinez girl on a felony charge Wednesday for causing a wreck that paralyzed a Lincolnton, Ga., teen.

Ashley Shay Teeters:  Teen was driving 90 mph when she wrecked, police said. A 16-year-old passenger is paralyzed.  Special
Special
Ashley Shay Teeters: Teen was driving 90 mph when she wrecked, police said. A 16-year-old passenger is paralyzed.

Ashley Shay Teeters, a rising junior at Evans High School, was charged with felony serious injury by vehicle, reckless driving and violation of a Class D license in connection with a May 23 wreck in Appling that seriously injured Tyler Epps, 16.

Columbia County Juvenile Court Judge Doug Flanagan denied bond for Ms. Teeters, who was wearing a pink cast on her left arm at the detention hearing.

"Deputy, lock her up. No bond," Judge Flanagan said at the hearing attended by Ms. Teeters' parents and grandparents.

Police said Ms. Teeters was going about 90 mph when she lost control of her vehicle in a curve on Ray Owens Road. The Mercury Sable flipped several times and landed upside down in a ditch, leaving her and the front-seat passenger, Ian McGahee, 15, of Lincolnton, with minor injuries.

Mr. Epps, who was riding in the back seat, was airlifted to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he was in fair condition Wednesday, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

None of the teens was wearing a seat belt.

Judge Flanagan said he treats sternly violations of the Class D license, which prohibits newly licensed drivers from transporting nonfamily passengers in the first six months.

"This is a serious charge," Judge Flanagan said. "The court is always concerned about violations of a Class D license."

The driving incident is not Ms. Teeters' first run-in with the law. She was charged with shoplifting for attempting to steal clothing items from Kohl's in Evans on Monday. She also faces a March 30 simple battery charge and a May 6 unruly juvenile charge.

On Wednesday she was booked into the Columbia County Detention Center, then transferred to the Regional Youth Detention Center.

Reach Valerie Rowell at (706) 868-1222, ext. 110, or valerie.rowell@augustachronicle.com.

corgimom
corgimom 06/11/09 - 05:35 pm
And lepps, I know you are

And lepps, I know you are reading this- you've had a injured, disabled son for 19 days. I've had one for 29 years. Yes, I have had a doctor tell me "We don't know if your son will ever walk." I have been there, and that's why I say what I do.

mooseye
mooseye 06/11/09 - 05:38 pm
PS I wrote this before I had

PS I wrote this before I had seen the latest posts about her mother, or lack there of. This information just reinforces my thoughts. I also hope what ever authority set her free with the pending charges realizes what the result of that mistake are.

THOMSON
THOMSON 06/11/09 - 06:17 pm
These children and their

These children and their famies are in my prayers. May God bless you all!

Lucky_Luciano
Lucky_Luciano 06/11/09 - 06:48 pm
I have the deepest regards

I have the deepest regards for the famlies of the passengers in this car, I have a full understanding of what life is like with a disabled child....However the driver of this car should have not been driving in the first place. If my children broke simple house rules the punishment fit the crime. I would do things like leave the game systems, games and controllers in the house and hide the power supplies at a friend's house until further notice. Nothing went un-punished....If a child of mine had been implicated in a shoplifting charge he would never have to worry about what a judge might have to say, he would have been more scared of what I would say and do.......Am I a perfect mother, NO, not by any means, but I always taught my kids that the rules are there for a good and valid reason...I don't like all the rules I have to live by as an adult by I choose to live by them and set an example for others, and I hope my children will always do the same....Are my kids perfect, HECK NO, have they done wrong, yes, but they have always been accountable in the court of MOM.....

sherrybsouthsun
sherrybsouthsun 06/11/09 - 08:15 pm
Way To Go Judge Flanagan ! I

Way To Go Judge Flanagan ! I think this article should be posted at all the schools and every teen awaiting a drivers license shown what will happen in our community if they violate the law.

georgiastoryteller
georgiastoryteller 06/11/09 - 10:08 pm
ARKSFORHER--thanks for

ARKSFORHER--thanks for shedding light on this for us. How true--absent parents equal disaster. I do not, however, feel sorry for her. She made the choice to drive recklessly and now she must face the consequeces. I hope the boys are OK soon and now I'm sure they have learned, the hard way, that they have to wear a seat belt. After she shoplifted, drove wrecklessly, endangered the lives of others and her other charges--she deserves no bail. She is a danger to herself and everyone else. I hope that she will learn everything very soon that her mother was too slack to teach her. Maybe mom needs to give up her vices and be a MOTHER. Poor kid.

joeuser
joeuser 06/11/09 - 10:12 pm
lepps412, we will be praying

lepps412, we will be praying for your son and your family. We all made youthful mistakes when we were young (when it came to automobile safety) and many adults still do. Too bad the driver chose to endanger everyone by driving at such an excessive rate of speed. I am glad the judge is showing the "tough love" that evidently her parents could not find it within themselves to show. Did they REALLY want the judge to release her so she could continue being so reckless in everything she does?

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 06/11/09 - 10:21 pm
feedup, you teach teenage?

feedup, you teach teenage? God help them..... Posted by smec29 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:31 AM Can you just FEEL the christian virtue going out in this post??? Good one smec29. I see you are an english and grammar critic. Don't quit your day job...unless you're a life coach.

BOBO
BOBO 06/11/09 - 10:33 pm
lets be kind and take a

lets be kind and take a moment and pray for the Epps child and his family. Justice will be handled in the court room not on this fish wrapper... We ALL have made mistakes and we all paid, so more than others!

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 06/11/09 - 10:42 pm
I see a mountain of trouble

I see a mountain of trouble in those young eyes. Anyone can pass judgement. This child had something go horribly wrong in her life sometimes prior to March 30th. That I can see, and I don't even know her or anyone involved here. Too many incidents in too quick a succession. I would that someone HAD intervened prior to the tragedy that happened on May 23rd. Perhaps IF the TOUGH Judge had been tough earlier, this other child might not be paralyzed. There is no excuse for recklessness except that, as teens we ALL were reckless. Thus the saying, "There but for the grace of God go I." Pray for the children, here in this story and everywhere. The lesson here is for all parents, and it's more than most can learn. When again will we read of another child suffering the same fate? Parents, LOVE your children, and take time from your busy lives to see that they are proficient in the use of judgement. Lest we should be forced to learn again the cost of tragedy. lepps412, There are no words to utter to bring you any peace. Just know that God has the strength and the shoulders to carry all that you are burdened with, and for the mere price of prayer and faith, He WILL see you through it all.

jaschild
jaschild 06/11/09 - 10:50 pm
arksforher - if all of this

arksforher - if all of this is true, why wasn't it ever reported?!?! could neighbors and friends who stand by and do absolutely nothing also be lumped in with her mother?? aren't you an accomplice in some form?

KSL
KSL 06/11/09 - 11:06 pm
If this had happened to my

If this had happened to my child the last place I would be lurking about is a place like this where people are expressing their opinions based on what they read in the newspaper or on-line. I have to question why a parent would be reading or posting here. You are just asking for more grief.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 06/11/09 - 11:23 pm
Perhaps they thought some of

Perhaps they thought some of their child's friends might offer some kind words and well wishes. Maybe some, in this ever selfish world might be posting encouraging words. After 19 days, the heart is ragged from grief and the mind weary from the tormenting questions that range from Why to What if, and everthing in between. Maybe, instead of offering advice, just offer solace and prayers. Nothing we CAN say will diminish the pain of those who are suffering. Why not just not post, if all we can do is criticize or ask why do they come here?

smAShT
smAShT 06/12/09 - 12:21 am
As i hope and pray this young

As i hope and pray this young this young man has a full recovery...I hope and pray Ashley is helped also. So young... growing up and just way to fast. Somebody please reach out to this young women and give her some dircetion and something to live for.

andywarhol
andywarhol 06/12/09 - 07:38 am
Everyone is bashing this

Everyone is bashing this girl, but I wonder if either of the boys influenced her. How do we know they weren't like, "C'mon! Lets just go for a quick ride, no one will find out!" We don't know. They are just as guilty as her IMO. Unfortunately the boys will have to pay for their poor decision their entire lives.

twilahzone
twilahzone 06/12/09 - 09:03 am
We don't know where the

We don't know where the parents were as of this writing. Do you know what your child does 24/7? If you say yes, you ARE jaded. Think back to the days when you were a child/teenager---and then answer that honestly. Did you do EVERYTHING your parents told you? As a parent, you teach them the best you can...and pray they listen to your advice. Unfortunately, this young lady (and her 2 friends) chose to be a rebel at the wrong time--- that poor young man will pay the price for the rest of his life.

AAQueen
AAQueen 06/12/09 - 09:25 am
Tujeez Bless your heart. You

Tujeez Bless your heart. You seem to be the only one that really read the article. They tell about all the trouble she's been in and it started in March and escalated to this. Anyone can tell that something drastic happen in her life during this time. Until that issue is resolved this child will never be right. Besides containing her the judge need to appoint a psychologist/counselor to help her. MY prayers are with all the children.

helpicantfindthespacebar
helpicantfindthespacebar 06/12/09 - 01:57 pm
Holy cow! This kid is so out

Holy cow! This kid is so out of control it's scary. Good for Judge Flanagan for locking her up with no bond. She needs to realize that her reckless behavior has serious consequences. Unfortunately the most serious of those is being visited on one of her passengers. Being locked up in jail would be NOTHING compared to being confined to a wheelchair, if you ask me. Hell, she's even got a little smirk on her face in the booking photo!

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 06/12/09 - 04:07 pm
The Booking photo was

The Booking photo was probably made in her first arrest, not after the accident. I'm sure her face hasn't seen a smile on it since the accident. If you THINK before you post, sometimes, clarity will come. THIS IS A CHILD! No matter her circumstances, or what she has done. She is still a child. Heaving the Hounds of Hell upon her wouldn't make the events of the past disappear or change in any way. None of us are perfect, not even one. I will remind you helpcantfindthespacebar, that there is nothing HOLY except God...

H222
H222 06/12/09 - 04:48 pm
16 is too young for a

16 is too young for a driver's liscence, legal age to drive should be 18 minimum! 16 year olds are too immature to be given that kind of legalized weapon and expect them to make good decisions.

211lover
211lover 06/12/09 - 06:49 pm
hmm

hmm

luckie
luckie 06/12/09 - 10:39 pm
I do not always blame parents

I do not always blame parents for their child's actions. Kids are definitely influenced by their peers. I worry about mine every time they walk out the door. The system is failing our children, too. Instead of socking it to them, for example going down hill and giving them a speeding ticket, an officer should give them a warning. As adults, we do the same thing. Many people have friends in the system that take care of them when such things happen. If you don't know anyone, your child can build a record quickly. My family has bad luck on innocent accidental but not fatal mistakes. Money talks and the rest suffer. I am very concerned for our youth. This little girl made a major mistake with a series of others. She should not have been allowed to drive. I have taken keys and removed cars from my home.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/13/09 - 02:19 am
Will our county's juvenile

Will our county's juvenile court talk and act as tough regarding this matter in 60 days when the public outrage about the death and injuries arising from it will have diminished and when pressures to accommodate her defense attorney, her family and her friends will have increased? I think not.