Bond denied for teen driver in wreck

Police arrested a 16-year-old Martinez girl on a felony charge Wednesday for causing a wreck that paralyzed a Lincolnton, Ga., teen.

Ashley Shay Teeters:  Teen was driving 90 mph when she wrecked, police said. A 16-year-old passenger is paralyzed.  Special
Special
Ashley Shay Teeters: Teen was driving 90 mph when she wrecked, police said. A 16-year-old passenger is paralyzed.

Ashley Shay Teeters, a rising junior at Evans High School, was charged with felony serious injury by vehicle, reckless driving and violation of a Class D license in connection with a May 23 wreck in Appling that seriously injured Tyler Epps, 16.

Columbia County Juvenile Court Judge Doug Flanagan denied bond for Ms. Teeters, who was wearing a pink cast on her left arm at the detention hearing.

"Deputy, lock her up. No bond," Judge Flanagan said at the hearing attended by Ms. Teeters' parents and grandparents.

Police said Ms. Teeters was going about 90 mph when she lost control of her vehicle in a curve on Ray Owens Road. The Mercury Sable flipped several times and landed upside down in a ditch, leaving her and the front-seat passenger, Ian McGahee, 15, of Lincolnton, with minor injuries.

Mr. Epps, who was riding in the back seat, was airlifted to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he was in fair condition Wednesday, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

None of the teens was wearing a seat belt.

Judge Flanagan said he treats sternly violations of the Class D license, which prohibits newly licensed drivers from transporting nonfamily passengers in the first six months.

"This is a serious charge," Judge Flanagan said. "The court is always concerned about violations of a Class D license."

The driving incident is not Ms. Teeters' first run-in with the law. She was charged with shoplifting for attempting to steal clothing items from Kohl's in Evans on Monday. She also faces a March 30 simple battery charge and a May 6 unruly juvenile charge.

On Wednesday she was booked into the Columbia County Detention Center, then transferred to the Regional Youth Detention Center.

Reach Valerie Rowell at (706) 868-1222, ext. 110, or valerie.rowell@augustachronicle.com.

lepps412
lepps412 06/11/09 - 09:33 am
feedup - as I'm pretty sure

feedup - as I'm pretty sure you meant to have the display name of "fedup" - regardless, my child knew the other boy that was a passenger. Stop bashing my son in the ground! He was with his friend, and was ONLY in the car because of his friend. I'm sure you're one of those parents that thinks their children do no wrong. How sad it must be to be in denial. Children do not always do what they are taught. The difference here is that my child happened to be called on not wearing a seatbelt. It could have easily been your child or yourself. I am WELL aware my son should have worn his seatbelt, but don't you think it crosses my mind every single time I look at my son laying in the bed fighting for his life and to walk again? You people should get your lives straight with God.

moneyman1035
moneyman1035 06/11/09 - 09:34 am
Sorry I was talking about

Sorry I was talking about tdp's message. Not feedup's stupid comment.
Just cause you are in a car and someone is driving like an idiot doesn't mean you are saying go faster yeah lets do it and etc. You may be saying ok slow down, watch out, be careful...
We can only go by what the boys said they were saying, and again they have NO BLAME! cause they were not driving!!!!

Jillian
Jillian 06/11/09 - 09:36 am
That girl looks like she is

That girl looks like she is at least 25. Wow..she must have been living a fast life all the way. Regardless- she is totally responsible for those in her car. Driving 90 mph is TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE I don't care who you are.

She deserves the max, punishment to think about her selfish disregard for another person's life.

Rose
Rose 06/11/09 - 09:43 am
The 1st time a driver gets a

The 1st time a driver gets a DUI conviction, they should not be able to get another drivers license for the rest of their life. I really mean that.

feedup
feedup 06/11/09 - 09:52 am
My life is right with God. I

My life is right with God. I didn't say your son did anything wrong. You were not in that car and kids do tend to lie. I didn't say your son was lying. I don't think my kids are angels. Kids do things when there parents aren't around. I teach teenagers and the majority don't have any respect for authority. This young lady didn't and you see what happen. Moneyman1035 your coments are stupid. The fact still remains, they had a choice. They should have not gotten into that car.

Rose
Rose 06/11/09 - 09:52 am
I don't know if alcohol was

I don't know if alcohol was involved here or not.

Jillian
Jillian 06/11/09 - 09:54 am
Wow. I just read her prior

Wow. I just read her prior offenses...She should have been locked up BEFORE this accident even had a chance to happen!!!

lepps412
lepps412 06/11/09 - 09:57 am
feedup - I've made this

feedup - I've made this comment before and I will gladly repeat it - careful what you say because it often comes back to bite you in the rear.

areyouserious
areyouserious 06/11/09 - 10:31 am
Where were her parents? How

Where were her parents? How was she even allowed to be out of the house after the March 30th incident, nevermind the May 6th charge. I would have been in big trouble. Had she been more closely supervised after the two preceding incidents, the accident may not have happened. She obviously has not had any consequences because she stole Monday!

smec29
smec29 06/11/09 - 10:34 am
Rose, have you never driven

Rose, have you never driven after taking cough syrup? or dayquil? People are arrested and booked for that stuff too. Lepps, I am sorry for what is happening to your son. I am sorry when anyone has to go through this kind of tragic event. Yes they should've worn seat belts but didnt. Don't bash them for it, I dont wear one every time I get in a vehicle and never did when I was that young. I pray that your son makes a tremendous recovery. I pray that Ashley Teeters is not made an example of, we all know that teens feel like they're invincible. I've done lots of stupid things and since none of you people are JC I know you have done stupid and imature things too.

areyouserious
areyouserious 06/11/09 - 10:38 am
If the accident was her only

If the accident was her only mishap, then I would agree with smec29. But she continously broke the law and her actions leading up to this event got worse. So she obviously did not learn ANY lessons from getting in trouble previously, so now it's time to make her responsible for affecting so many other families. She could have cause an even worse accident had she hit another car or killed someone.

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 06/11/09 - 10:42 am
Rose...Sounds like you need a

Rose...Sounds like you need a drink....Nutcase

corgimom
corgimom 06/11/09 - 10:48 am
Lepps, this is not the first

Lepps, this is not the first time you have been on here. Why do you keep coming back? All of us have the right to our opinions, and while we are deeply sorry for what happened to your son, the bottom line is that he chose to get in the car and he chose not to wear his seat belt. You probably would be better off focusing on your son and his recovery, and not us.

sunnyday
sunnyday 06/11/09 - 10:57 am
Unbelievable: Sounds like we

Unbelievable: Sounds like we had the same dad!!

latosha_5
latosha_5 06/11/09 - 11:03 am
I keep hearing that it is the

I keep hearing that it is the driver's responsibilty for the passengers...why is no one fighting for the fact that is also INDIVIDUAL responsibilty to ensure your own safety? i believe these children/passengers were old enough to take personal responsibilty and buckle up. it is so unfortunate that young people have to learn from such horrible mistakes as this, but i do hope they learn and this teaches other children to drive and ride safely. God Bless.

andywarhol
andywarhol 06/11/09 - 11:09 am
Um, lets see here, lepps412:

Um, lets see here, lepps412: your child knowingly got into a car with someone that doesn't have a license to allow friends as passengers. Children know their friends better than you'd think, so save the crap about how your child thought she had a valid license. Also did you ever think that now the crap has hit the fan that your child is trying to stay out of trouble by saying, "Oh momma I swear I was telling her to slow down." BS Naive parents cause so much of this as well. As for her parents, they need to realize that if your child has access to your keys they have "implied permission" whether they are licensed or not. So there is responsibility that should be taken there as well. I learned that from experience.

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/11/09 - 11:10 am
smec29, I hope she is made an

smec29, I hope she is made an example of. Where is the justice in letting her go just because she is young? She could have killed someone. I teach teenagers too and all too often the moral of the story is that you can do whatever you want until you're 18. This girl believes that, that's why it's her third offense. smec29, if it weren't for that type of mentality ("aww, she's only stealing, she's only beating on someone, awww, we all do stupid things") she should have been locked up where she couldn't even get to a car.

andywarhol
andywarhol 06/11/09 - 11:20 am
No one is judging these

No one is judging these children. They are only commenting on the given facts. All this garbage about getting our just do etc. is funny. I'm commenting on a young girl that shouldn't have had access to a car key. 2 unfortunate children that #1 shouldn't have gotten into the car, #2 Didn't wear a seatbelt, #3 still didn't put a seatbelt on when they were panicking and telling her to slow down...As we know they are all about being safe; lol which must be why they didn't have seatbelts on and riding with a person without a license. #4 Being that they were friends with a person like her says a lot about them. Stop making excuses and call it like it is. They went for a joyride with her, didn't wear seatbelts, and were ALL having a good time and it bit em. I too have made bad choices, and was lucky. I once got drunk in H.S. and flipped a Geo Tracker with my buddy in it. Neither of us had seatbelts, and our parents didn't make BS excuses either. We were both drinking and knew what we were doing was wrong. Unfortunately some learn the hard way. I feel sorry for all involved, but my comments are directed at those who chose to put on their blinders.

angryinga
angryinga 06/11/09 - 11:41 am
yep, i agree with those who

yep, i agree with those who said brat, but i can also think of a few more words to call her. i am sure her lesson has not been learned since she is only 16 and the other front seat passenger hasn't learned anything either. but the one who received the worst end of the deal, is the only one who will faithfully remember May 23, 2009.

roundaboutway
roundaboutway 06/11/09 - 12:09 pm
I said it once, and I'll say

I said it once, and I'll say it again... Spank her bottom blue!

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 06/11/09 - 12:16 pm
My husband died, leaving me

My husband died, leaving me to raise six very young boys, and as of this fall the fourth will start college. I am not the perfect parent but I listen when they talk and I say what I think. They listen, but when they walk out the door all I can do is pray they will do the right things. Don't blame the parent, even if she was trying to get their attention, she was still old enough to know right from wrong. Until "SHE" realizes everything "She" has done is "HER" fault and not anyone elses, she will continue to be out there making more wrong decisions. I pray for the families and I pray she gets her life in order before it is too late.

feedup
feedup 06/11/09 - 01:26 pm
lepps412 someone already said

lepps412 someone already said it. Call it what is. They made the decision to get into a car and not ask question and put on a seat belt. I am not speaking against your son or anybody else. Just saying that these kids should have asked question. Another thing you will not put this on my children. this happen because of one person deciding to go joy riding and her friends jumping into the car. I am steal pring for your son. Don't wish this on my worst enemy

arksforher
arksforher 06/11/09 - 02:15 pm
As a parent of a former

As a parent of a former friend of Ashley's, I can tell you that she is not a poor rich little white girl from columbia county. She is a child whose Mother had other things on her agenda that was more important than raising a child. On many times this child was with us and her mother never looked for her except to babysit when she wanted to go party. At 13, she was left for whole weekends alone with her younger sibling without even meals to feed them. She has had no parental guidance to show her how to be a functioning citizen. The household which she came from was dysfunctional in the least. There were drugs, alcohol, numerous men among other things going on.
Yes, Ashley is responsible for the mess she's in. BUT, there's a bigger monster in her closet and it's her mother.

oh man
oh man 06/11/09 - 02:30 pm
This kid was turned loose

This kid was turned loose with as death machine. the boy who is paralyzed and his family will have a life time to think about this and the need to stay out of any car illegally opperated.

But Judge flannigan has let others go with not even a slap for driving and wrecking while having a license for what two weeks.

disssman
disssman 06/11/09 - 02:59 pm
I don't understand how a

I don't understand how a parent with a child in critical care can spend time posting on a web site. If my child was in the hospital, every minute of every day would be devoted to being by his bedside. BTW my grandchildren will absolutely not let someone start a car unless they are buckled in. Their parents taught them at a young age the importance of that rule.

cdickey
cdickey 06/11/09 - 03:11 pm
How can anyone say anything

How can anyone say anything about teenagers not wearing their seatbelts? I see adults doing it everyday. Yes, she should be held responsible. She knew what she was doing. Let's just pray that her life turns out better and that God will be with all the families involved.

corgimom
corgimom 06/11/09 - 03:11 pm
Disssman, I said the same

Disssman, I said the same thing. A lot of what she is saying doesn't make a lot of sense.

lepps412
lepps412 06/11/09 - 03:39 pm
corgimom - you're right, I've

corgimom - you're right, I've commented before. But I assure you I don't have 103 plus PAGES of comments on here. My comments were always about my sons accident. You, on the other hand, have comments on almost every article printed. My suggestion to you, find a new hobby. Also, I am not excusing my son for not having his seatbelt on, he was wrong not to have it on. I'm a stickler for wearing seatbelts and I wished I could go back an hour beforehand and change it, but I cant. None of us can be sure what our children do when they are not with us. The only thing I've asked is for you to use a little bit of respect when voicing your opinion. I know you think he needs to "pay", but what sort of price would you like? As far as my comments on here and not that it's any of your business, but I have not left this hospital other than to take a shower for 19 days - you can rest assured that my 30 minutes I've spent on here making comments are hardly any indication of the time I spend with my son. I can't always be back in the room with him.

corgimom
corgimom 06/11/09 - 03:53 pm
Thanks, if I ever come off of

Thanks, if I ever come off of disability, I will. Didn't know that, did you? And I don't want to make him pay. In fact, I have a child with disabilities, and I was thinking today of some way I could concretely help you. You will find that sympathy really doesn't help.

mooseye
mooseye 06/11/09 - 04:32 pm
My first question is, where

My first question is, where did she get the car?
If it was supplied by her parents, then they should be charged as well. One thing that is wrong with our youth is irresponsible parents.
I don't know, but if the car was supplied by her parents, why was she still driving it after the other offences? Too many parents believe what ever their little darlings tell them even if the face of a criminal charge by a law enforcement officer.
Anyway, I just had to say that about it ultimately being the parents fault!

Ex-superintendent to write of miraculous recovery

Taking his doctor's advice, former Richmond County school superintendent Frank Roberson has nearly finished writing a 150-page book about his remarkable recovery from brain trauma.