Bond denied for teen driver in wreck

Police arrested a 16-year-old Martinez girl on a felony charge Wednesday for causing a wreck that paralyzed a Lincolnton, Ga., teen.

Ashley Shay Teeters:  Teen was driving 90 mph when she wrecked, police said. A 16-year-old passenger is paralyzed.  Special
Special
Ashley Shay Teeters: Teen was driving 90 mph when she wrecked, police said. A 16-year-old passenger is paralyzed.

Ashley Shay Teeters, a rising junior at Evans High School, was charged with felony serious injury by vehicle, reckless driving and violation of a Class D license in connection with a May 23 wreck in Appling that seriously injured Tyler Epps, 16.

Columbia County Juvenile Court Judge Doug Flanagan denied bond for Ms. Teeters, who was wearing a pink cast on her left arm at the detention hearing.

"Deputy, lock her up. No bond," Judge Flanagan said at the hearing attended by Ms. Teeters' parents and grandparents.

Police said Ms. Teeters was going about 90 mph when she lost control of her vehicle in a curve on Ray Owens Road. The Mercury Sable flipped several times and landed upside down in a ditch, leaving her and the front-seat passenger, Ian McGahee, 15, of Lincolnton, with minor injuries.

Mr. Epps, who was riding in the back seat, was airlifted to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he was in fair condition Wednesday, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

None of the teens was wearing a seat belt.

Judge Flanagan said he treats sternly violations of the Class D license, which prohibits newly licensed drivers from transporting nonfamily passengers in the first six months.

"This is a serious charge," Judge Flanagan said. "The court is always concerned about violations of a Class D license."

The driving incident is not Ms. Teeters' first run-in with the law. She was charged with shoplifting for attempting to steal clothing items from Kohl's in Evans on Monday. She also faces a March 30 simple battery charge and a May 6 unruly juvenile charge.

On Wednesday she was booked into the Columbia County Detention Center, then transferred to the Regional Youth Detention Center.

Reach Valerie Rowell at (706) 868-1222, ext. 110, or valerie.rowell@augustachronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/11/09 - 02:27 am
This out of control teen may

This out of control teen may have found the "parent image" she's been seeking.

justus4
justus4 06/11/09 - 03:53 am
Her sentence will be: One yr

Her sentence will be: One yr jail and five yrs probation and fines for everything. License gone for three yrs, but able to rehabilitate after two yrs. The judge's statement seems out of order and should show more restraint and professionalism.

Ole School
Ole School 06/11/09 - 05:37 am
it is awful because teenagers

it is awful because teenagers will be teenagers, right or wrong it just bad that all must suffer. I hope it all works out for the families touched by this situation. there is no win win for either , just hope hope.....

GuyIncognito
GuyIncognito 06/11/09 - 06:01 am
Go Judge Doug!

Go Judge Doug!

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 06/11/09 - 06:23 am
Ole School when I was a

Ole School when I was a teenager I never drove 90 mph, nor did any of my friends. She's just out of control and now this poor child only 16 is paralyzed, she needs jail. This is not her first run in with the law. Too bad it had to be so tragic for the family of this injured kid, they have a lifetime of healing and struggles now. She has a broken arm, somehow that doesn't seem fair.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 06/11/09 - 06:24 am
Another Columbia county brat

Another Columbia county brat that thinks they are elite because their parents said so.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 06/11/09 - 06:51 am
Panther those brats are in

Panther those brats are in both counties. My dad had the best idea when it came to my first car, it wouldnt go 60, and I paid for it myself.

wise ole man
wise ole man 06/11/09 - 07:13 am
Not sure what this child's

Not sure what this child's parents told her- that may be the problem. She may be one of those self raised children- no parent involvement. Such a troubled child- 4 run-ins with the law in less than a month. Hopefully she will be able to learn something from all of this and come out a better person. At least we want have to worry about her on the road anytime soon. She is lucky she is not facing vehicular homocide!

WAG
WAG 06/11/09 - 07:18 am
Just another spoiled

Just another spoiled brat....They know everything....
Now this poor yougman may never walk again...what do they think seat belts are for ......looks....Just dont get it....

andywarhol
andywarhol 06/11/09 - 07:39 am
I'm sure the teens in the car

I'm sure the teens in the car had no problem and were probably cheering her on to go faster. We've all made bad choices, but she does need to get hit a little harder for this one. It appears she's headed down the wrong path in life. She could end up like Justus.

avidreader
avidreader 06/11/09 - 07:41 am
I will never claim to have

I will never claim to have the best parenting skills in the world, but after the first shoplifting offense, my sixteen-year old would be under daddy-house-arrest at least until the legal system was satisfied with a proper punishment. This is one time I agree with the term "brat".

lepps412
lepps412 06/11/09 - 08:04 am
andywarhol - for the record,

andywarhol - for the record, even the passenger in the front seat of the car admitted that repeatedly they asked the girl to slow down. Everyone here needs to realize that lives have been tragically affected, and that even the parents of the child injured (myself) do still read your rude comments. Your lack of tact shows your true nature as a person. I think it would be more appropriate for you to pray for the recovery of Tyler, and pray for the driver, too. I'm willing to bet you've made your share of mistakes as a human. I'm only aware of one who is perfect, which means He is the one who has authority to judge. Negative comments never help a situation like this.

disssman
disssman 06/11/09 - 08:06 am
Man mama and daddy shore must

Man mama and daddy shore must be proud of what they have raised. So proud in fact they couldn't wait to reward her with a car for the unbelieveably outstanding way she has been conducting her affairs. Yeah, the parents must be really proud of this one. BTW why are we holding her responsible for a person not having his seat belt on? Didn't he have brains enough to know that was dangerous? Has he never seen a TV commercial about the danger? Didn't his parents ever tell him how dangerous it was?

Gooseyman
Gooseyman 06/11/09 - 08:45 am
You people have no sympathy

You people have no sympathy whatsoever....that kid in that hospital bed is my best friend...and you people have nothing but rude things to say...you know why we hold her responsible....because she was selfish and careless....enough so that she endangered not only her life...but the lives of 2 other people. sure seatbelts may have prevented what happened.....but that doesnt change the fact that she was driving 90 MILES AN HOUR...which can be fatal in itself.....so you people who leave all your rude coments are no better than the girl driving that car...selfish and careless as to the feelings of tylers family...and for that you should feel horrible....so next time you have something to say ...remember the old saying...if you dont have anything nice to say dont say nothing at all...becuase you have no idea what his family and friends are going through..and the good lord willing you never will.....because its absolute torture.....

lepps412
lepps412 06/11/09 - 08:46 am
I love you Goose.. and Ty

I love you Goose.. and Ty loves you too! Well said!

Son of God
Son of God 06/11/09 - 08:49 am
God bless the teemagers,

God bless the teemagers, their families, and everyome who commented. No one is dead, thank God. God is a God of a second chance. Continue to pray and God will still show you the way. To the paralyzed teenager, God is a healer and he can cause you to walk again if you obey his voice and believe. Read Romans 10:9, 10 and Psalm 51. God loves you and has already forgiven you. Man is and has always been an unsafe example, so follow Jesus. God bless!

Son of God
Son of God 06/11/09 - 08:57 am
To all that commented, be it

To all that commented, be it good or bad. your day will surely come. You will be rewarded the same seeds that you have sown. It is written. I pray that God will restore these children completely and heal the child who is paralyzed. Be strong both of you. You will get through this. Forgiveness must happen. What did Jesus do to his haters and killers? He loved them unconditionally. We must do the same for each other. Love is the FIRST COMMANDMENT. HOW CAN YOU SAY YOU LOVE GOD WHO YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN AND HATE YOUR BROTHER WHO YOU SEE EVERYDAY? Let God be true and EVERY MAN A LIAR!! iF YOU DON'T PRAY (NOT PREY), YOU WON'T STAY.

roundaboutway
roundaboutway 06/11/09 - 09:02 am
The judge should have put her

The judge should have put her over his knee is the courtroom and given her what her parents will not!

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/11/09 - 09:02 am
Gooseyman, sorry about your

Gooseyman, sorry about your friend but this is not a forum for sympathy, it is a forum for ideas and debate. No doubt everyone posting on this forum has had some tragedy like this happen to them, or had some tragedy like this happen to someone very close to them. How old are you, 16? 17? You don't have to live long in this world without some tragedy happening to you. Most people posting here do have some idea of what this family is going through. This is a forum (primarily) for ideas, not emotion. That being said, we can post our opinions. My opinion is that you should get more of your friends to read the newspaper. This happens all the time and inculcated in each article is that ever-so familiar phrase "None of the teens was wearing a seat belt."

aninsider
aninsider 06/11/09 - 09:16 am
Hmmm. Wonder what they will

Hmmm. Wonder what they will do to Mr. McGahee and Mr. Epps for choosing not to wear a seat belt? Mr. Epps is, of course, paying the highest price of all. When I grew up, we didn't wear seatbelts. After 20 years in EMS, I ALWAYS buckle up when I get in my vehicle. Teenagers nowadays have always grown up with restraints, so there really is not escuse for not wearing one.

lepps412
lepps412 06/11/09 - 09:58 am
aninsider - did you know that

aninsider - did you know that the driver is responsible for EVERYONE in the vehicle they are driving that is under the age of 18? That means if your son or daughter were in my car, I would be responsible for making sure they had seatbelts on. Its called driver responsibility. I will NOT take my car out of park without seatbelts fastened on ALL of my riders. That includes my son, you know, the one you feel should pay. You don't think that is enough? Yes, this is a forum for opinions, but the way some of you people here voice them without giving any consideration about the feelings of anyone involved in this is impassible. My son very well may never walk again and you're concerned with what price he will pay. How cruel can one be? I will definately say a prayer for you.

feedup
feedup 06/11/09 - 10:17 am
Question? Did she make them

Question? Did she make them get into the car with her. Yes, she is responsible for everyone that got into the car. they must have know about this girls behavior. See no one was saying anything when she was stealing. My parents told me to choose my friend wisely. I teach teenage and they tink they know everything. So are so rude and disrespectful. I do pray for this child, that he would recover ad be able to walk again. But he to must take responibility for his action also. When did they tell her to slow down, before or after the ploice gave chase.

420Time
420Time 06/11/09 - 10:17 am
Cute white girl from Columbia

Cute white girl from Columbia Co. She will get off w/ minimal punishment. I bet dollars to donuts she will not be treated the same if she was from a south Augusta trailer park or east Augusta projects.

feedup
feedup 06/11/09 - 10:18 am
please excuse my spelling

please excuse my spelling

belle
belle 06/11/09 - 10:21 am
Shame on all of us for first

Shame on all of us for first choosing to judge. Do you know her parents? If not then you have NO idea how she has been raised. The BEST kids from the BEST families can make horrible, stupid decisions too. I have heard that she was NOT supposed to be out in the car that day because she was in trouble. to lepps412....I passed by that accident moments after your son was airlifted out. I did not know who was in the car but prayed for them immediately as the wreck was SO bad. My heart breaks for your son's paralysis but THANK GOD he is alive. From the looks of the accident, he shouldn't be. I will continue to pray for him.

moneyman1035
moneyman1035 06/11/09 - 10:22 am
Lepps412 and Gooseyman, I am

Lepps412 and Gooseyman, I am sorry for your son and friend, I know its a terriable thing. I have learned that most on here spout their opinions without thought of who will be reading these comments. It is the drivers place to make sure everyone is buckeled up. I hope your son will be ok, I had a friend she became paralyzed after her husband hit a tree doing 80mph and she was ejected. He has now left her with two small children to raise. God doesn't give us more than we can handle. I hope for the best for you, your son and his family and friends.

tdp
tdp 06/11/09 - 10:22 am
lepps412....So teribbly sorry

lepps412....So teribbly sorry for your situation. Being paralyzed is too steep a price to pay for not wearing a seatbelt. I hope other teens read this & learn something from it.

feedup
feedup 06/11/09 - 10:29 am
Correction. I said police and

Correction. I said police and there was no police. But the fact still remains. She was driving fast and know doubt these kids was cheering her on. They may not admit it. I always tell kids a car is not a toy. You must drive for yourself and the others while on the road.

moneyman1035
moneyman1035 06/11/09 - 10:31 am
See thats what should be

See thats what should be written here, I don't think y'all realize what your negative remarks do to innocent victimes that y'all pass judgments down on. These two boys did nothing to deserve being hurt in this accident. The girl was driving, she is in control of the car, she decided to run from the law.
I have been in situations like that, growing up, thats why I choose to drive myself than ride with others. Again, just remember that your comments need to be thought out.

smec29
smec29 06/11/09 - 10:31 am
feedup, you teach teenage?

feedup, you teach teenage? God help them.....

MOX gets funding in House bill

The appropriations bill that funds the Department of Energy and Army Corps of Engineers was passed late Thursday evening. The measure funds construction of the MOX plant in fiscal year 2015 at a ...