How fun was that?

Some of the older, knowing fans in the audience were hoping for a British bobby to show up and threaten to pull the plug on this concert, just to complete the picture. Maybe next time. And we sure hope there is one.

Augusta Beatles tribute band "Number 9" rocked the Augusta Common last Friday with a free noontime rooftop concert (thank you, ESI!), a la the Beatles with their Let It Be surprise rooftop gig on Apple records' roof 40 years ago.

What a treat it was, too. Local musician and entrepreneur Ed Turner has assembled a band that does an astounding job of recreating whole Beatles albums. Their set Friday spanned several albums (including a song from Wings), but should whet everyone's appetite for their next album foray -- Abbey Road -- August 14 and 15 at the Imperial Theatre.

While the band pays tribute to the Beatles, it also pays bills for the CSRA Humane Society by sharing concert revenues with the no-kill shelter at Lake Olmstead.

On behalf of your fans: Yes, you passed the audition. And then some.

dhd1108
dhd1108 06/10/09 - 06:35 am
i just wish i'd known about

i just wish i'd known about it before it happened :/

shivas
shivas 06/10/09 - 07:02 am
What happened to originality?

What happened to originality? Beatles Tribute Band? Now, that must be the pinnacle of mediocrity. Write your own material.

GaPatriot
GaPatriot 06/10/09 - 07:45 am
shivas, I suppose you think

shivas, I suppose you think they should make their own instruments also. What kind of volunteer work have you done lately? The pinnacle of mediocrity is sitting back and taking pot shots at someone trying to make a difference.

john
john 06/10/09 - 08:01 am
Hey Shivasovich, lighten up.

Hey Shivasovich, lighten up. Did Bush pee in your cornflakes again?

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 06/10/09 - 08:25 am
I'd like to here shivas talk

I'd like to here shivas talk about the James Brown tribute band. Come on boy..I know you can do it!!!

bone
bone 06/10/09 - 08:40 am
so, shivas, using your logic,

so, shivas, using your logic, anyone who performs the music of beethoven, brahms, mozart, tchaikovsky isn't paying homage to great composers or acknowledging outstanding examples of western art, but are instead displaying mediocrity? as always, your opinions are inane and naive.

HotFoot
HotFoot 06/10/09 - 09:57 am
shivas, I frequently agree

shivas, I frequently agree with your political opinions. However, you are way off base here. These guys do an enormous amount of good for the community, esp. the Humane Society, which is a wonderful organization forced to scrape by on donations. I say that Ed Turner and Number 9 are a community treasure.

used2Bjonny
used2Bjonny 06/10/09 - 10:07 am
Sure be nice to know about

Sure be nice to know about concerts and such before they happen...somehow, reading a rave review is not as satisfying as having seen the show...

KSL
KSL 06/10/09 - 10:37 am
bone, I guess using shivas'

bone, I guess using shivas' logic, if we can't hear the original artists perform, we can't hear the music ever again.

chemikool
chemikool 06/10/09 - 11:03 am
shivas - HAHAHA - thanks for

shivas - HAHAHA - thanks for the laugh buddy!
"Pinnacle of mediocrity" - classic!

J.W.
J.W. 06/10/09 - 11:06 am
Shivas--when the doctor

Shivas--when the doctor spanked your bottom when you were born, it must have really p'd you off to the point that you have have been angry ever since! Ed and Number 9 are great contributors to this community and put on one heck of a show. What have you done to make a difference lately?

KSL
KSL 06/10/09 - 11:13 am
Nothing but post insults.

Nothing but post insults.

Nammy3
Nammy3 06/10/09 - 11:29 am
Maaaan, wish I could have

Maaaan, wish I could have been there! Thanks, but let's do it again and this time, warn us you will. Call me! lol

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/10/09 - 11:53 am
I would have enjoyed it, I

I would have enjoyed it, I heard about it in plenty of time, since it was a First Friday event, simply had a conflicting schedule.

Mrs Genevive Bait
Mrs Genevive Bait 06/10/09 - 12:31 pm
I have records. I have both

I have records. I have both 45 rpm records and 33 1/3 rpm records. I also have some CDs and some tapes and some of those have Beatles on them. If I want to hear the Beatles I can listen to the real thing, not some pretend Beatles balancing on the roof of some building.

And I can listen indoors where it's not 90 degrees and the sun isn't giving me skin cancer.

But if you like pretend musicians playing someone else's music in the broiling hot sun, go ahead. It's no cancerous skin off my nose.

jack
jack 06/10/09 - 12:41 pm
Sivass,how about answering

Sivass,how about answering the question as to "what have YOU done for the community lately'"? Genevieve I shouldn't take your bait, but I do enjoy a good symphony playing the classics as well as some who play "big band" music the didn't compose. I too have a nice collection of CDs of all kinds of music that some one/orchestra other than the original symphoniy orchestra or composer, operas, bands and singers and thoroughly enjoy them. Same for a good local symphony or band. Too bad I missed this one as I liked the Beatles.

Kirkwood
Kirkwood 06/10/09 - 12:43 pm
We didn't have to balance,

We didn't have to balance, the fantastic staff of Tracer Audio made sure we had very secure footing. Thanks Trey! And for the record, I'm just happy to be the pinnacle of ANYTHING.

luckie
luckie 06/10/09 - 01:57 pm
Has anyone heard of a new

Has anyone heard of a new local band called Augusta Wind? They are pretty good.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 06/10/09 - 02:15 pm
Tribute bands are a great

Tribute bands are a great thing. Saw a Moody Blues band last week and then a Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers band this week. Free and good sounds! And when you really think about it today's original music has much to be desired. It's not all bad but most of it truly does not sound good.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/10/09 - 02:39 pm
The music scene in America

The music scene in America has always been a mixed bag. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Allman Bros, Journey, Boston then disco was also the craze with the Bee Gees, Donna Summers, Jacksons. Jeez. Elton John would sing "Crocodile Rock" (pop crap) and then cut "Funeral for a Friend". Now we have Michael Bubble, John Legend, Metallica, Dave Matthews, RedHot Chili Peppers, and a mixed bag of old bands that won't die Aerosmith, tribute bands, etc. Jazz is a genre I have particularly grown fond of but I still want to don a sock and sing with the Red Hot chili Peppers. Get my groove thang going on. hee,hee,hee. To be honest I never liked the Beatles back in the 60's so I really haven't changed, but I never liked the Door till about ten years ago-so who knows.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/10/09 - 02:52 pm
Biz smoke a big fat one and

Biz smoke a big fat one and drop a hit of acid, man you would love the psychedelic beetles. Not that I had any experimentation in the past....

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 06/10/09 - 03:03 pm
Got tickets for the love of

Got tickets for the love of my life and I to see John Legend in August. Also, seeing the real Moody Blues too, or what is left of the band. My favorite band is and has always been the Rolling Stones though. Never saw them in person, and never will because it is really about the music and not the show. They have plenty of long run videos out there anyway. And I've been to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, and did not expect much but I was really pleasantly surprised.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/10/09 - 03:04 pm
Sure, Milton, sure. I

Sure, Milton, sure. I remember you at the Pink Floyd concert. You were the one selling the purple microdot and killer colombian gold.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/10/09 - 03:10 pm
LMAO no never been to a dead

LMAO no never been to a dead head or a pink Floyd concert. I never sold anything illegal. And I never ate anything that grew on a cow farm.

john
john 06/10/09 - 03:13 pm
Good Job Shiv, you really

Good Job Shiv, you really brought people together today!

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/10/09 - 03:19 pm
The last tribute I saw was a

The last tribute I saw was a guy who did Bon Jovi it was hilarious. He had the same moves and facial expressions.

debbie andrews
debbie andrews 06/10/09 - 03:29 pm
Ed and number 9 are a great

Ed and number 9 are a great band to see and hear. They do so much for our community and these insults are just rude.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/10/09 - 04:01 pm
Dave Matthews puts on a great

Dave Matthews puts on a great concert. I took the whole family to see John Mayer and he was entertaining. Even if you don't like his music Michael Bubble is a mesmerizing showman and puts on a fantastic show.-I was impressed. The last rock genre concerts I remember are Cheap Trick and U2-I really enjoyed both. Back in the day you name em I saw em-least what I remember. But I haven't seen the Red Hot Chili Peppers and I would love to see them. I don't want to see another Pink Floyd laser show. I would love for everyone to see the original Allman Bros band with Duane and Greg Allman, Berry Oakley, Dickey Betts, Jaimo, Butch Trucks man those were the days. Unbelievable southern born band usually given the title of southern rock but it was anything but rock-blues, jazz, country mix more accurate-really different. Filmore East Album is a classic. About the same time that idiot Ted Nugent was traveling about with spandex and trying to be Jimi Hendrix.

KSL
KSL 06/10/09 - 06:24 pm
I think shivas is reluctant

I think shivas is reluctant to show up again due to being blasted from both sides.

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 06/11/09 - 07:26 pm
I know I'm a day late to the

I know I'm a day late to the comment arena, but I had to say to those that don't get the "tribute" band thing, I understand. I wouldn't go see one either. But being a member of #9 I can say that we are not so much a "tribute" band as we are a group of friends and musicians who feel privileged to play such complex, and at the same time, simply beautiful music. Then when you factor in that we have raised over $90,000 for various charities in the last three years.......nuff said.