Georgetown resident has colorful style

Edna Lawrence decorated her home in the Georgetown neighborhood with flea market finds and original craftwork.

"I love taking nothing and making something out of it," she said.

She scours secondhand stores, yard sales and flea markets to transform the ordinary to her unique style. She used things that seem unrelated, such as bathroom tile and automotive piping, in renovating the kitchen cabinets.

In the sunroom, which she had built onto the house, she's created curtains out of dust ruffles. In a guest bedroom, she made a headboard out of pieces from old picture frames.

"I just know how to do it. God gave me the gift," she said.

In the living room, she reupholstered and repainted Victorian chairs.

"They were ready for the trash," she said.

She was 11 when she first made something for her family's home and gave it to her mother.

"That's how it all started, from a little wobbly bookcase," she said.

Reach Sarah Day Owen at (706) 823-3223 or sarah.owen@augustachronicle.com.

AT HOME WITH

WHO: Edna Lawrence

THE HOUSE: 1,287 square feet, with three guest bedrooms, a master bedroom, three sitting areas, a work room, kitchen, breakfast room and 31/2 baths

IT'S A FACT: Ms. Lawrence, with the help of her children, built on to the house, which was originally a three-bedroom, 11/2-bath house with a living room, kitchen and carport. She's lived in the house for 37 years.

AROUND THE BLOCK

WHAT: Georgetown subdivision

SCHOOLS: Glenn Hills Elementary School, Glenn Hills Middle School, Glenn Hills High School

COST: Houses run in the lower and mid $90s.

LOCATION, LOCATION: It's conveniently located near Interstate 520 and Interstate 20. It's also near a Wal-Mart and shopping center plaza.

Source: Dozell Stewart, Realtor with Blanchard and Calhoun.

HISTORY: The neighborhood was developed between 1968-70, according to The Augusta Chronicle archives.

Seashells 06/07/09 - 12:24 pm
I am sorry, but this is

I am sorry, but this is overly decorated,very tacky and just full of dust catching junk.

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 06/07/09 - 05:36 pm
I agree this is ULGY I am not

I agree this is ULGY I am not trying to be mean but I couldn't live with all the fake flowers. How does she cook without starting the house on fire in that kitchen! Even the toilet has flowers on it...TACKY!!!!!

SoFunny
SoFunny 06/07/09 - 07:01 pm
The whole point of the

The whole point of the article is to display creative images of diverse categories. (If you understand what that means Good Taste) Viewing your previous comments, upon pages and pages and pages you ARE TRULY a Very Old woman as you stated in your 2007 comments. I'm sorry but, you failed to add "BITTER" to that statement . And "GolieMOM", I hope your not a mom because this is a poor example of leadership. Oh!!! how I fell for your child that has come to you with a new idea about something. Poor children. Oh well, this is my first time on this website leaving a comment and it will be the last per I see that there are a bunch of hating old grumpy "BAD" tast goalie moms!!!! HUH!!!!

Seashells 06/07/09 - 09:19 pm
Sofunny I am not that old.

Sofunny
I am not that old. LOL
And why just pick on me, everyone else agreed.
I have nothing to be bitter about.
My child is grown and has a beautifully decorated home

Seashells 06/07/09 - 09:26 pm
I went back and read some of

I went back and read some of my old posts.
I hope SoFunny realizes that some of the posts were copy and paste of the Rant in question!!!!!!!

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 06/07/09 - 10:46 pm
sorry to disappoint you

sorry to disappoint you "sofunny" I am a mom and I teach children.I resent the fact that YOU think I am a bad mother just because I expressed my VIEW on something I think is tacky. What does leadership have to do with my view on this women's tacky home. It's not like I am saying this to my children, I am writing this on a post because that it what it is for to express your views! Talk about BAD taste (not tast) HUH!!!!!

flagagirl
flagagirl 06/08/09 - 12:15 am
to goodtaste & goaliemom1987

to goodtaste & goaliemom1987 its seems that you both are pretty bias about what youv'e seen,and i understand that truely beauty is in the eye of the beholder. another mans trash is another ones treasure . it obvious that she has found pleasure in her treasure and uses her time wisley making ordinary unique as the article so stated, and you two seem as if their is no love of god in your hearts to negatively batter someone who has done no harm to you!!! its sad that you all don't have any creative juices flowing other than being the critical thoughtless women that you are i hope that you find something better to do with your time !!!!

SoFunny
SoFunny 06/08/09 - 02:01 am
Well Well. I've seem to upset

Well Well. I've seem to upset some people here!!! Not that I was trying to but this is a great example of being a follower and not a leader and goliemom if you are a teacher e mail this to your students so they can see how you expressed your views based on the next person. (This is why the school system is failing). On your next year of teaching express to your students that it is ok to be different and to stretch there imaginations to the limits explain to them that this is how great artist came about(ie:Michelangelo Leonardo da Vinci Rembrandt and Van Gogh)by pushing there limits. Open your minds and not your SARCASMS (A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.) And Good Taste you said that you were a little old lady and again and I reiterate (goaliemom tell goodtaste what that means your the teacher out of the bunch) pages,upon pages,upon pages,upon pages of just YOU wanting to be heard your screaming for attention. Maybe goaliemom should have been your teacher. However Tu Shay I bid farwell to all my hated ones. Bestdecoraterintheworld thanks for understanding the article Some 1 is really paying attention to what the HOLE purpose is!!!

SoFunny
SoFunny 06/08/09 - 07:47 am
Just to let you guys know I

Just to let you guys know I am not just picking on Good Taste this is the comment that she left about herself: AJ - you really need to grow up a bit.. I am a sweet old lady hon, just tired of lame rants. lol
Posted by Good Taste on Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:50 PM And Good Taste you are correct 2% of your blogs are copy and pastes of the rants However 98% of the rest is you actually using the chronicle as a mini "MYSPACE" and get real what's more creepy than an old person using short hand like "LOL"OMG and LMAO... Sounds like someone is'nt comfortable in there "Mature Years"

SoFunny
SoFunny 06/08/09 - 08:00 am
And not only that check this

And not only that check this racial statement that she also posted: When was it established that people paying a cashier were rude when placing money on the counter? Why is it rude? Who are you to establish a new type of behavior? A cashier is supposed to be customer friendly, not demanding and upset because a person is paying, no matter where the money is placed. I fail to understand how a person is being rude when doing so. Is this some sort of cultural thing? Are all of the wait persons who take one of those bill holder folders folders that the customer has placed his cash or credit card in, being considered rude by the cashier that has several on the counter waiting to be processed? What office do you hold that allows you to tell us that we are rude? Yep it is a cultural thing.....black cashiers get an attitude real fast! Posted by Good Taste on Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:33 PM... Now I see were the real issue lies. I will be submitting this blog as an inappropriate comment. So you see goalie mom how important it is to be a leader. There is never going to be change in the world until we change our selves. Good taste I hope I've left a bad taste in peoples mouths about you!! Toottols

Seashells 06/08/09 - 11:26 am
SO FUNNY However Tu Shay I

SO FUNNY

YOU CAN'T SPELL!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole purpose HAHAHAH

As far as being an old woman.....like I said I am NOT THAT OLD!

Seashells 06/08/09 - 11:28 am
I still say the house is

I still say the house is decorated tacky, has nothing to do with race,gender or religion and I am 57 and proud of it.

Seashells 06/08/09 - 11:34 am
I have sent these pics out in

I have sent these pics out in emails and everyone wants to know if it is a funeral parlor!

SoFunny
SoFunny 06/08/09 - 12:07 pm
Good Tast you are old and the

Good Tast you are old and the HOLE is for the hole in your BIG PIE FACE!! Because you just don't get it. And if you want to talk about spelling there are ToNS of Grammatical Errors in your blogs that you love so much but no one seems to be really talking to you but around you. Quite Contraindicating your self. You are a 57 year old big MOUTH who loves to EAT!!!

SoFunny
SoFunny 06/08/09 - 12:17 pm
Ok SORRY I may have used to

Ok SORRY I may have used to many big words for you so let's break it down in your language. HA HA HA, LOL, OMG, TSR, CUL, TTFN, TBU. TGI Fridays, Wild Wings, Sconyers , MCDolnald's Buffalo shrimp.. Seriously YOU'VE got to be obese!!!! Done playing with you I hav a REAL JOB and it does'nt envolve eating or scanning the chronicle all day! So let me let YOU get back to want you love to do and that's going to come right after this.........

Seashells 06/08/09 - 12:41 pm
I have a job too and money in

I have a job too and money in the bank.
Nobody asked you to come on here. I have days off and I can comment wherever I want. I am enjoying my day off while my kitchen is being renovated by professionals that I paid for with my money I earned at my job.
As far as the food comments, I only eat at three places Sconyers,TBonz,Beamies, that is why I was pitching them.
You are definately a mental case for coming on here and digging thru people's old posts to start something.
I have nothing to do today and will be back to read anytime I please.

Seashells 06/08/09 - 12:51 pm
Contraindicating........spell

Contraindicating........spelled wrong

MCDolnald's ........spelled wrong

TUNS...... when I went to school back in the old days (since I am sooooo old) it was spelled tons. Haha LOL

SoFunny
SoFunny 06/08/09 - 12:55 pm
Like Clock Work!!!!!! Have a

Like Clock Work!!!!!! Have a Good rest of your day "OFF" seems you've been off since 2007!!!! ha ha ha ha lol lmao ttfn, on and on you know how you do it!!!!

SoFunny
SoFunny 06/08/09 - 01:02 pm
Sorry I don't know what's

Sorry I don't know what's faster my fingers or my mouth.. So If I spelled it wrong that was just something else for you to do today.. Good Taste which everything taste good to you. Grow up and if your 57 why are you still working? Maybe spending more time on the "CHAT" than envolved in a 401K

Seashells 06/08/09 - 01:22 pm
I can work as long as I want.

I can work as long as I want. I enjoy working. What is it any of your business? I enjoy spending money on my house and going on vacations. I have been working since 1975 and just cause I get on the computer, it does not mean I don't have a job.
If the guys were not working in the kitchen, I would be at T.J. Maxx or Stein Mart buying clothes,jewelry,things for my house.
For someone that said you were tired of playing on here, you sure have spent alot of time here. I type really fast too, but I can spell!!!!!!!

Seashells 06/08/09 - 01:30 pm
How many houses have you sold

How many houses have you sold today? How many commissions did you make? Got any good investments other than 401K? My grandma said invest in land cause God isn't making anymore. Wise woman.

Seashells 06/08/09 - 01:32 pm
Congrats for getting your

Congrats for getting your house in the paper SoFunny!

flagagirl
flagagirl 06/08/09 - 01:52 pm
i still say why so much

i still say why so much hostility, the article is about a lady which is an older lady spendin time doing creative enjoyment for herself not asking anyone to hire her or buy anything from her just a lady and her hobby so why be so ugly and insensitive. you don't have to like it just respect a person, is that so hard or do we not have these values. and if not that is sad, and surely money cannot buy this!!!!!

it-is-ok
it-is-ok 06/08/09 - 02:06 pm
I have just read a book call

I have just read a book call Four Faces of Satan Exposing Satan Evil Network. In this book he talks about how Satan uses people to belittle others. CLearly satan is using Good Taste and Goalie Mom. Whether you like or dislike Ms. Lawrence decorating designs, if you don't have something good to say-dont say nothing at all. I have just finish a class on art. When I instructed to observed some of the paintings especially the Mona Lisa, they were terrible in my opinion. BUt guess what they were worth millions. What will be funny is when Ms. Lawrence is ask to appear on Oprah, and goaliemom and Good Taste will still be rant and raving. It is negative comments that make people strong, rich and famous. Duh

Seashells 06/08/09 - 02:17 pm
Nice post Art But SoFunny

Nice post Art
But SoFunny should be listed on your post too cause she assumes people are fat,lazy and don't work. That is the ONLY reason I commented on her spelling.
You sound like a VERY nice person.

prissy
prissy 06/08/09 - 02:59 pm
I can smell a mess a mile

I can smell a mess a mile away, you probably can see that mess a mile away also. Thumbs Up to Good Taste!!

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 06/08/09 - 03:04 pm
You're right GT & Gm. That

You're right GT & Gm. That house is not just tacky. It's tacky wrapped in tacky, smothered with a big ladle full of tacky.

commonsense09
commonsense09 06/08/09 - 04:18 pm
I believe the point of the

I believe the point of the article was that Ms. Lawrence decorates by making things herself and combining others in unusual ways. I think it shows creativity and a love of decorating your home to your taste, not just buying something off the shelf, but making/recombining it yourself. It may not be everyone's taste. I think she is to be commended for having fun and using her creativity to make her space homey and happy for her, and she was kind enough to allow her home to be featured in the paper. She probably had no idea how many people would be so ugly about it. Anyone who's posted that it's tacky, and pride yourself on your taste, have you really added to the good taste in the world by being petty on a public forum and spoiling someone's moment to have their home featured in the paper? I say kudos to you Ms. Lawrence for being playful and having some fun in your life! I'm sorry if any of your joy of having your home featured in the paper was lessened by some of the comments made here. Best wishes to you and your family, including the children who helped you add on to your home. Working as a family is great fun.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/08/09 - 04:21 pm
SoFunny sure has a chip on

SoFunny sure has a chip on her shoulder. The house is gloriously, unabashedly, dust-collecting tacky. I saw the sun room on the front going up years ago and was appalled at the appearance when it was decorated, but if it makes her happy, fine, I just take another route, so I don't feel like I've been visually assaulted by a Victorian with a vengeance. Some people can function in a riot of dust-collecting bric-a-brac and knick-knacks, but to others it's a visual nightmare and unhealthy as well. How in the world can anyone clean that house? Oddly enough, SoFunny writes like the "designer" "decorates": too many incorrectly spelled words applied ineffectively, much like too many poorly designed decorations arranged unattractively. It was a fanciful, fun article, but no one in their right mind would mistake the finished product as resulting from any true design expertise. I'm sorry, but this is by no means someone who would be on Oprah, unless it was for an intervention. On the plus side, it looks like it was a lot of fun to do. If you and your family enjoy what you're doing, ignore all these subjective opinions and have a ball with it! It's just opinions after all.

SoFunny
SoFunny 06/08/09 - 05:33 pm
This is not my house BAD

This is not my house BAD TASTE I am a designer and I read this add all the time per they have a different house every Sunday and being an artist this is a great tool and you have turned it into something "Aweful".And your not wise YOUR TACKY very TACKY as all of your post are.