The wisest investment of all

There's giving, and then there's investing.

And the Augusta National Golf Club knows a good investment when it sees it -- the CSRA itself.

The Augusta National isn't all about golf and a particular tournament held every April. It acknowledges its special, prominent role in the Augusta community.

So when the announcement came this week that the Augusta National "will give more than $3.4 million to charity" this year, that's accurate.

But it's more of an investment than a gift when you look at where the money is going.

The largest chunk of the money is going to the Community Foundation of the CSRA -- and it might take less space to list the number of area concerns that it doesn't help fund. It has included such major players as the United Way and the Medical College of Georgia Foundation, on down to community theater groups and small but specialized local ministries.

When these gifts -- investments -- are announced each year, the news comes with a list of all the groups who will receive money. But deserving people are the ultimate recipients. Families in crisis. People who have spiritually lost their way. The hungry. Good people who have had some of the worst circumstances thrown at them.

Perhaps Walt Whitman said it best: "Charity and personal force are the only investments worth anything."

Charity could be the wisest investment of all.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/05/09 - 05:54 am
Didn't I see an editorial on

Didn't I see an editorial on this very subject just a couple of days ago? What's going on at the AC?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/05/09 - 07:02 am
I believe there was a story

I believe there was a story in the sports section that mentioned the gift, but it does show how much the National contributes to the area. Not only do they pay taxes, bring in huge sales taxes and business, but they make outright gifts to charity. Altruism at its best.

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/05/09 - 09:06 am
I don't follow golf much. Was

I don't follow golf much. Was it the Augusta National that refused to admit women?

ldsmith1
ldsmith1 06/05/09 - 09:14 am
Geez, Southern, where have

Geez, Southern, where have you been?

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/05/09 - 10:11 am
As I said, IDSMITH, I don't

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 06/05/09 - 10:26 am
RE: As I said, IDSMITH, I

RE: As I said, IDSMITH, I don't follow golf much. Can you answer the question or is that too much to ask?
Posted by southernguy08 on Fri Jun 5, 2009 10:11 AM

SouthernGuy,
The ANGC is a private organization and to date (and the best of my knowledge) do not have any women members. Women are welcome to come to the tournament. So it's not like they are banned completely from the grounds of the Augusta National.

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/05/09 - 10:36 am
thanks, hatfield.

thanks, hatfield.

ldsmith1
ldsmith1 06/05/09 - 11:59 am
Why so testy Southern? I'm

Why so testy Southern? I'm not a golfer either. That story made nationwide headlines just a few years ago.

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/05/09 - 01:35 pm
IDS, I asked a simple

IDS, I asked a simple question and didn't think your reply was necessary. Plus, it didn't answer my question. I know about the headlines a few years ago, but that was a few years ago and things can change. I'm also amazed that it's a new millineum, an African-American is president, African-Americans such as Tiger Woods and other minorities are welcome to join the ANGC, but human beings who were born female are not. My son, who served in Iraq, can join the ANGC. My daughter, who is currently serving there, will not be able to join. It just doesn't seem fair, but I guess I'm the minority with that thinking.

HillGuy
HillGuy 06/05/09 - 02:34 pm
I tend to think that the

I tend to think that the ANGCs actual impact on the local economy is overblown, but still a gift is a gift and good for them for their philanthropy.

ldsmith1
ldsmith1 06/05/09 - 07:32 pm
ANGC is a private club. The

ANGC is a private club. The only folk who can join are those who are invited. I'm not sure that Tiger is an actual member, but I could be wrong. You seem to have awfully thin skin for a Southern Guy.

ldsmith1
ldsmith1 06/05/09 - 07:33 pm
Whatever happened to Martha

Whatever happened to Martha Burke anyway? She never did iron my shirt.