Slaying victim is 4th in week

Richmond County homicide investigators went into Memorial Day weekend weary after a six-day stretch in which four people were killed.

The latest slaying was discovered early Friday when the body of Chad Shirey, 25, was found in a white Chevrolet Caprice near his home. Police believe someone driving a tan or beige SUV followed him to his driveway and fired into his car window.

His death is the eighth in the county this year.

When asked about the sudden increase, Richmond County Sheriff's Lt. Scott Peebles said there is typically no rhyme or reason why homicides happen when they do. Most are crimes of anger or passion between acquaintances. They can come in waves or sometimes not happen for months, he said.

"You can't predict murders," Lt. Peebles said. "They just come and go like that."

The recent violence began May 16 when 20-year-old Tremayne Markis Cobbs was fatally shot and two others wounded at Econo Lodge in the 2000 block of Gordon Highway. Witnesses said the men were arguing when more than 10 bullets were fired into a silver Chevrolet Suburban. The shooter is believed to be Nicholas Nathaniel Johnson, 20, of the 3100 block of Bellmeade Drive, who is still at large.

On Wednesday, Jesse Haynes, 42, and Rodney Crane, 27, were found stabbed to death at Glenwood II Apartments on Lumpkin Road.

Joshua Bernard Ferguson, 52, was arrested after police followed a trail of blood from the scene to a nearby apartment. He is charged with two counts of murder and possession of a knife during the commission of a crime. Police said he is keeping tight-lipped about what happened Wednesday.

Mr. Ferguson was on parole for the 1984 fatal stabbing of a man outside a nightclub.

Anyone with information on suspects in these cases is asked to call the sheriff's office at (706) 821-1080 or (706) 821-1020.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

hurlyburly11
hurlyburly11 05/23/09 - 08:12 am
Seems to me like they are

Seems to me like they are just wiping each other out.....................

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/23/09 - 10:01 am
It is Eidson Drive, not

It is Eidson Drive, not Edison Drive, after the Eidson family that lives there. To confuse matters, there is also an Edison family listed on that street. One of the TV stations got it wrong, too. Happened last time there was a murder there, (actually, a double murder) that's why I noticed it.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/23/09 - 10:06 am
In case there are a few

In case there are a few people that don't believe I know what I'm talking about yet, here's the link to the old double murder at that location. http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/080603/met_192-7492.000.shtml I also called in the awful smell that led to the discovery of a decomposing body one hot day in a wooded area next to an old warehouse less than half a mile from there. Needless to say, I don't shortcut that way to the Augusta Mall area anymore. That's too many dead bodies in a short distance of each other for my nerves.

bone
bone 05/23/09 - 10:08 am
hurlyburly, you beat me to

hurlyburly, you beat me to the punch; next time, make sure you use quotes for "they" so justus/gacopperhead/et al will be able to properly attack you for being an "R" word.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/23/09 - 10:13 am
I wonder how many of these

I wonder how many of these are a ripple effect from the huge drug bust recently on the southside of Augusta/Richmond County. (The exact address was not given for that $125,000 cocaine bust intiated by Aiken authorities and a Federal agency, so I don't know if when they said South Augusta {there is no city named South Augusta} means southern Richmond County (Hephzibah) or the south end of the old Augusta city area). I'm just asking because there does seem to be a pattern of drug bust then a rise in violence around here. That makes me think that because the supply gets interrupted, drug traffickers and customers panic and turn on each other. I don't know what the motive in this case is though.

SilentJ
SilentJ 05/23/09 - 11:37 am
I am so glad I moved out of

I am so glad I moved out of augusta

truthBtold
truthBtold 05/23/09 - 12:23 pm
Yeah J, Im not missing

Yeah J, Im not missing Augusta so much anymore either...

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/23/09 - 07:46 pm
SilentJ and truthBtold what

SilentJ and truthBtold what goes on here goes on everywhere. It's just that people are so wrapped up in the necessaries of life that they don't notice a lot of what is going on around them until it directly affects, inconveniences or incapacitates them. That is not to fault them at all, it just is what it is. When you're trying to survive and thrive, you do try to focus on what you are doing, not what others are doing around you. I simply began to take notice of crime in my community in '88, because my home was burglarized, my car was broken into, and it went downhill from there the worst span of time being between 1999 and 2006. Everyone must be aware of their surroundings and trust your instincts. Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

bone
bone 05/23/09 - 10:08 pm
so, if i write "they" in

so, if i write "they" in quotes it is racist? fascinating...but justus4 and everyone else is free to use they to refer to YT anytime? i'm sure this post will be removed soon; after all, i'm not blatantly supporting any particular minority position with my postings. rather, i'm pointing out the fact that a disproportionate number of murders is occurring in a particular area.