Mother, son plead not guilty

A Columbia County mother and son pleaded not guilty Wednesday to all charges, including murder, in the fatal beating of a woman in March.

Rebecca Bowers Sears, 41, and her son, Christopher Sean Bowers, 20, pleaded not guilty to murder, armed robbery and burglary charges at an arraignment in the Columbia County Justice Center.

Mrs. Sears, of 227 Hot Spring Drive, and Mr. Bowers, of the 4000 block of Briarwood Drive in Martinez, are accused in the fatal beating of Laverne "Kay" Parsons, Ms. Sears' next-door neighbor and co-worker, March 25.

District Attorney Ashley Wright has said she plans to seek the death penalty.

A bond hearing had also been scheduled Wednesday, but it was postponed while defense attorneys review paperwork, said Victor Hawk, Ms. Sears' attorney.

Mr. Hawk said a date for the postponed bond hearing hasn't been set.

Attorneys and prosecutors will meet July 7 to hear motions. No trial date has been set.

Reach Valerie Rowell at (706) 868-1222, ext. 110, or valerie.rowell@augustachronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/14/09 - 05:28 am
Victor Hawk not seeking an

Victor Hawk not seeking an immediate bond hearing doesn't bode well for the defendants.

CKB
CKB 05/14/09 - 08:18 am
Can you imagine Hawk's

Can you imagine Hawk's comment that these two were upset over being in jail and that they were even more upset when they learned they were going to seek the death penelty for both of them? I am amazed at stuipdity! This is one case that I hope the time between the end of the trial and the time of execution is a long, long time. Give them plenty of time to think of what they did to Mrs. Parsons. I just pray for the other victims in the case- all of the family members of both families, especially the children. I hope and pray they are doing as well as they can and know there are many people praying for them.

getalife
getalife 05/14/09 - 08:36 am
CKB, I thought the same

CKB, I thought the same thing, on a TV report Hawk commented about proving they are innocent and where they were when the murder was committed. I wonder how he accounts for her blood on their sofa in their living room and the possession of the jewelry stolen from her.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 05/14/09 - 09:09 am
victor hawk, typical scumbag

victor hawk, typical scumbag lawyer, i realize the constitution requires all those charged with a crime to be afforded a defense, but based on the small amount of evidence released to the press how can he sleep at nite or look at his wife/family while knowingly working to get these 2 off on any kind of technicallity. it would be more honorable to plead them out guilty to spare the family the pain of this trial and the citizens the expense of nothing more than a high publicity trial. where is mr. hawk on the news stating with 100% moral certainty, the innocence of his clients????, this is a case with only 1 winner and that is mr. hawk, if they are found guilty then the prosecution would have done nothing more than their job, if they are found innocent then mr. hawk would have gotten 2 killers off to be let back into society, meanwhile the publicity this trial will generate will do nothing more than increase the number of potential clients that will walk into his office...shame on you mr. hawk how would you sleep despite the evidence to the contrary they were acquitted based sole on a technicality..how would you explain to the fvictims children/family that "the system worked"

GuyIncognito
GuyIncognito 05/14/09 - 09:44 am
And therein lies the beauty

And therein lies the beauty of our system, the prosecution has to prove she is guilty, not the lawyer proving the defendant is innocent. I'm sure Mr. Hawk sleeps fine, knowing that he is doing the best he can to ensure that if the state is violating someone's constitutional rights by exploiting what you call a "technicality".

Hepkikyo
Hepkikyo 05/14/09 - 09:45 am
Victor Hawk is only

Victor Hawk is only interested in collecting his fees, and couldn't care less about the morality of the issues surrounding the case or what anyone thinks about him. He's a scumbag lawyer, and will be grinning all the way to the bank.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 05/14/09 - 09:46 am
I wonder how she was paying

I wonder how she was paying for that big house by herself, she must was living in section 8 housing.

lynninga
lynninga 05/14/09 - 11:23 am
I think they should just stay

I think they should just stay in jail until the trail. Why do they get a bond hearing the person they killed did not get anything from them to save her life. I think they both should be done the say way they did her.

Sharky
Sharky 05/14/09 - 12:11 pm
Hep, you have obviously never

Hep, you have obviously never met Mr. Hawk, or his brother Jacque, they both have AMAZING hearts. Their job is not "to get guilty people off" their job is to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America and the State of Georgia to ensure that ALL of us retain our rights, not only criminals. A good defense attorney also ensures that the State is proceeding in a manner in which true justice, for ALL parties, can prevail.

jack
jack 05/14/09 - 12:42 pm
Sharky, I agree 100%. I know

Sharky, I agree 100%. I know the Hawk brothers and they are fine, decent people insuring that these two perps get a fair trial. That IS the beauty of our Constitutional govenment.

realitycheck1
realitycheck1 05/14/09 - 01:16 pm
I always wonder why lawyers

I always wonder why lawyers are supposed to be worried about "morality" and why people say all the Hawks car about is "collecting a fee." I have never once gone to my mechanic and wondered if he cared about the morality of changing my oil or if the plumber was somehow religious about cleaning my pipes. The Hawks are defense attorneys and their job is to defend people's rights when they are accused of a crime. Believe it or not, by defending guilty people vigorously it ensures that fewer innocent people are sent to prison. If you don't get that, then you honestly have no business posting on this article.

THE GAME INSIDE THE GAME
THE GAME INSIDE THE GAME 05/14/09 - 02:12 pm
I agree with Jack and

I agree with Jack and Sharky...fine men just doing there court appointed job.

Hepkikyo
Hepkikyo 05/14/09 - 03:08 pm
I've hired Hawk in the past

I've hired Hawk in the past to represent a friend. It was a waste of money. He did nothing to prepare for our appearance before the judge, and didn't even open his mouth to present the defense and mitigating circumstances. Just collected his fee, while throwing his client upon the mercy of the court. It was an easy $2000. I speak from first hand experience. He will never make another dime off me. So much for customer satisfaction/repeat business/word of mouth advertising. I hope it was worth it to him. Never mind the mental anguish and financial hardship he needlessly put my friend through. If he didn't want to help, he should have refused the case. We would have done better acting as our own attorney, and saved allot of money to boot. At least the judge would have heard our side of the story.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 05/14/09 - 04:53 pm
i am not just singling out

i am not just singling out mr. hawk i am sure he is a fine and decent human being, that being said how would all of you explain to the victim's children about how the system works, or how beautiful our constitution is when not based on guilt or innocence but due to a error the accused were freed. how many of you admired the beauty of the constitution or our system when O. J. butchered his wife and ron goldman....and was acquitted

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 05/14/09 - 05:30 pm
How to get rid of your wife

How to get rid of your wife and skanky girlfriend at the same time- have your girlfriend kill your wife. Just an idea. I bet the police are looking at everyone and every angle. No matter what the real story, it ought to be a very, very interesting trial indeed. Anyone seen or heard anything about either husband?

Motorman5039
Motorman5039 05/14/09 - 05:49 pm
I think it is sadly obtuse or

I think it is sadly obtuse or worse just plain IGNORANT for people to attack the lawyer for defending the accused..JISOMJR: In case you weren't aware we have a thing calle the U.S. CONSTITUTION here, and people are afforded the RIGHT to confront their accusors and have legal representation... If Mr. Hawk does his job improperly and doesn't give the accused the best defense posibble he opens the door for them to appeal later and get off...If you don't understand the legal system just keep your pie hole (or in the case of the internet your philanges) closed and your comments to yourself...Thelegal system is designed for some attorneys to prosecute and others to defend, leave your emotions at the door...Just like police officers, you can't do your job properly if you wear your emotions on your collar....Same rules apply for attorneys...Most attorneys are friends, regardless of what side of the table they sit when they are at work...Geez!!!

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 05/14/09 - 05:54 pm
No comment from justus on

No comment from justus on thier obvious innocence and how the man is keeping them down?....weird.

realitycheck1
realitycheck1 05/14/09 - 06:19 pm
jisomjr: So, to be

jisomjr: So, to be clear...would you rather guilty people (like O.J.) go free or would you rather innocent people go to jail? The reason our system gives the benefit of the doubt to defendants is to prevent the latter from happening. So, unless you are okay with being wrongfully convicted for something, you need not bash defense attorneys or people asserting their right to plead guilty.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/14/09 - 07:24 pm
The Hawk brothers are two

The Hawk brothers are two very different people, both fine men. Victor doesn't feel he should work for free, but does sometimes. Both of the Hawk brothers have an excellent record in court and are outstanding conversationalists.

corgimom
corgimom 05/14/09 - 10:02 pm
The law does not allow

The law does not allow defendants in a death penalty case to plead guilty. They must have a trial. Hepkikyo, yep, if it only cost you $2000, that's what you get. At billing rates of $275 (that was 6 years ago, BTW) per hour, that does not get you a trial. If you are talking about a trial, you are looking at $10,000 minimum in RC for a misdemeanor. And no, you wouldn't necessarily have gotten to tell your side of the story. It's not like you see on TV.

APiratesLife4Me
APiratesLife4Me 05/14/09 - 10:19 pm
I don't think perry mason

I don't think perry mason could get these two murderers out on bond. I have never heard of a death penalty defendant walking the streets. The ultimate flight risk!

shamrock
shamrock 05/14/09 - 10:55 pm
The scunbags aren't the

The scunbags aren't the lawyers (I know them both) ... the scumbags are their clients!

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 05/15/09 - 09:42 am
no i don't want the guilty to

no i don't want the guilty to go free, my point is did these same people cheer the legal system and emphasize the beauty of the constitution when OJ (he was guilty!!!!!!!!!) was acquitted, as they are now. my question still stands why are these 2 people pleading not guilty??? is it because someone else murdered ms. parsons or is it just to stall and buy time hoping the prosecution makes a mistake not that has nothing to do with guilt or innocence

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 05/15/09 - 09:53 am
BTW all of those who loves

BTW all of those who loves the beauty of the constituion what would you say to the family of ms. parsons should these 2 get acquitted based not on guilt or innocence but on a technicality...or would you trumpet the constitution if brian nichols was acquitted????