Waterboarding obviously is torture

Support of waterboarding -- a.k.a. torture -- is a hot topic with hate-radio talk show hosts such as Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Neal Boortz, and local redneck Austin Rhodes.

The Bush administration created the term "enhanced interrogation" in an effort to deflect criticism of "waterboarding." So they decided that any method of enhanced interrogation was not torture as long as the pain inflicted didn't result in "death, organ failure or serious impairment of bodily functions."

That is one of the most stupid, inhuman things I've ever heard. I can think of dozens of ways of inflicting unbearable pain on a prisoner that would not be torture by Bush's definition.

There is a simple way to define torture. If an American would not want certain acts inflicted on their captured loved ones, then those acts are torture. Sen. John McCain understands that because he has been there, and he vehemently opposes the Bush/Cheney methods of enhanced interrogation.

As a Christian, I'm reminded of the terrible torture inflicted on the Lord Jesus Christ throughout the night before He was crucified, and I wouldn't want our enemies to torture our brave prisoners of war in that way.

Some lunatics may carry out barbaric acts against fellow human beings, but as a Christian and an American I will not get in the ditch of evil with them.

Paul L. Cook

Augusta

Comments (214)

GGpap
GGpap 05/13/09 - 02:30 am

Good LTE Paul, you are not

Good LTE Paul, you are not alone. I also believe that waterboarding is torture and I am also happy to know that someone far more knowledgeable about the matter than most of us are has also gone on record to state, unequivocally, that waterboarding is indeed torture. I speak of the former pro-wrestler, Governor of Minnesota, and more importantly to this issue, former Navy Seal who served honorably in Viet Nam, Jesse Ventura. Governor Ventura made his point quite clear while speaking of his personal experience with waterboarding, and he emphatically denounced it as torture on the Larry King TV show Monday night (5/11/09). In my opinion, there are hardly more Gung Ho men than Navy Seals and they carry more weight on this matter than do many of the talking and writing "heads" in the media, most of whom have never served in the military, but continue to support those misguided folks that authorized waterboarding the past. GGpap

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 05/13/09 - 04:51 am

I suppose that the FACT that

I suppose that the FACT that waterboarding is responsible for extracting information that saved thousand's of lives is completely irrelevant? We MUST protect those terrorists!

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 05/13/09 - 05:16 am

Abdullah, there is NEVER any

Abdullah, there is NEVER any excuse or justfication for torture. And it's not a fact, except to Cheney.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 05/13/09 - 05:34 am

Our enemies have been

Our enemies have been torturing our citizens since before we went to war. Do you not remember people having to make a choice to burn up in a fire or jump to their deaths? I think there was a lot more psychological damage done to those citizens, it just didn't last as long. And what about the beheadings? Did you hear the one's taped screaming because they were being hacked to death? Seems to make waterboarding a prank. So no one is PROTECTING our soldiers by not employing tactics that produce results or not revealing them and it definately saves lots of citizens from facing jump or burn. And if you don't think they produce results then when were we attacked again under Bush's presidency?

carcraft
20743
carcraft 05/13/09 - 05:38 am

GGpap and GACopperhead, you

GGpap and GACopperhead, you folks live in a dream world! I hope you don't wake up to the screams and stench of burning flesh as people jump to thier deaths or roast alive and tons of steel fall from ths sky. Inhanced interrogation was stopped by the Supreme Court so we now use renditon where we send prisoners to other countries to be tortured. Obama has kept rendition in place. The folks we fight torture Americans any way look at Danny Pearl, it doesn't matter what we do. How many of Bin Lauden's men were tortured when they blew up our Embassies and coused hundreds to scream in pain? How many followers of radical Islam were tortured when hundreds screamed as they burned or hurled themselves to thier deaths off of the World Trade Center? I will also remind you folks that jump on Ventura's band wagon to remember that Jack Murtha (one of the most corrupt members of congress) is a decorated Viet Nam Marine, Duke Cunningham was a highly decorated Viet Nam viet with a Navy Cross, and Two Silver stars and was an ace prior to being a corrupt congress critter. We have a former seal here in Augusta that shot his mother. These folks have agends and clay feet like everybody else!

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 05/13/09 - 05:44 am

So, Abdullah and

So, Abdullah and overburdened, you desire to be the same a those we fight?
You wish to have the United States to be in the same group as the USSR under Stalin, Nazi Germany, the Spanish Inquisition, and other high standing, moral folks. You disagree with the candidate that you voted for, who was TORTURED by North Viet Nam. You guys are cream of the crop, top of the moral ladder, not to mention upholding the Constitution of the United States.

wildman
wildman 05/13/09 - 05:49 am

I'm sick and tired of the

I'm sick and tired of the politically correct crap. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If waterboarding works then do it, I would bet if one of our soldiers were captured they would do worse than waterboarding.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 05/13/09 - 05:49 am

I'll tell you what, you who

I'll tell you what, you who advocate practicing something that we would prosecute any OTHER world leader for, why don't you all submit yourselves to all of the "enhanced" interrogation techniques, and then come back and talk about it.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 05/13/09 - 05:52 am

Uncle, you nick describes

Uncle, you nick describes your post appropriately, BS!

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 05/13/09 - 05:53 am

Paul Cook is OBVIOUSLY

Paul Cook is OBVIOUSLY correct in his LTE. It DOESN'T matter if it worked or not -- waterboarding is TORTURE! There is NO EXCEPTION whatsoever.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 05/13/09 - 05:56 am

And speaking of who is being

And speaking of who is being politically correct here, it is the conservatives who are being politically correct on this issue.

dhd1108
dhd1108 05/13/09 - 06:11 am

this debate over

this debate over waterboarding is torture. shoot.. you wanna get the terrorists pants in a wad, have them listen to partisan idealogues.

Reality
Reality 05/13/09 - 06:16 am

I am sure it isn't fun being

I am sure it isn't fun being water-boarded, nor is it fun having your head hacked off(after begging for your life on camera) or being dragged throughout the streets behind a car. Do the ends justify the means in water boarding? I would like to think a lot of high value information was received through this technique.

shamrock
shamrock 05/13/09 - 06:24 am

You gotta love all the

You gotta love all the misguided, bleeding hearts who would rather be nice to some thugs who would torture you in a heartbeat and laugh while doing it. The "enhanced interrogation" was only used IF NECESSARY when nothing lse would! I guess we need a few more 9/11's before some people become believers. I have to go with Reality on this one. Get on your knees with your hands tied behind you while someone swings a sword at your neck. Those who were quote torured unquote are still alive, aren't they?

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/13/09 - 06:27 am

Nancy Pelosi approved

Nancy Pelosi approved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is before she disapproved it.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/13/09 - 06:28 am

Who didn't have there head

Who didn't have there head dunked, in a pool, as a kid by some bully. I didn't enjoy it, but you can bet I stayed away from that bully.

Talkatoast
Talkatoast 05/13/09 - 06:40 am

Ignorance. I would want my

Ignorance. I would want my relative to be waterboarded if he were ever a POW. Instead, our soldiers get ACTUAL PHYSICAL TORTURE that leaves both physical and mental scars, unlike waterboarding. If you want to know true torture, be a POW in Iraq. I'll bet you'll beg for waterboarding in no time. This is an insult to our soldiers. It's not torture. Research it, you ignorant Americans. You're going off what you hear in the media without even looking it up in the first place. I have the actual documents describing it.

Talkatoast
Talkatoast 05/13/09 - 06:43 am

GA, I will submit myself to

GA, I will submit myself to them. Do you even know the other interrogation techniques? They're all extremely harmless, something you could put a little kid through. In fact, some of the stuff they do is something a parent would do to quell a rowdy child's behavior! Sure, waterboarding might scare the living daylights out of me, but there's no pain involved, only the mental thought that you might be drowning but you really aren't. No water gets in you anywhere.

Talkatoast
Talkatoast 05/13/09 - 06:45 am

By the way, GA, McCain was

By the way, GA, McCain was tortured in an actual way, which left physical and mental scars. If you research it, you'll find psychologists have found no physical or mental scars left by those who were waterboarded. They were simply frightened, but got over it.

Talkatoast
Talkatoast 05/13/09 - 06:47 am

Despite what you have tried

Despite what you have tried telling me, I still don't understand why you believe monsters should be treated humanely. These people are not humans. Humans don't go around murdering other humans without a furrowed brow or a bit of sorrow in them. So, I would have no qualms chopping a toe off at a time, because, hell, these aren't human beings we're dealing with. These are the monsters you see in movies and imagined as a kid.

southern2
southern2 05/13/09 - 06:52 am

Don't tell me what torture

Don't tell me what torture is...I have to drive in Augusta with a 98% chance of catching a red light beside a 1000 watt subwoofer.

shaglorious
shaglorious 05/13/09 - 06:58 am

If waterboarding is torture,

If waterboarding is torture, then we need to bring charges against OUR military that uses it when training our special ops. If it is good enough to train our soldiers with, I do not have a problem using it on these muslim pigs.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/13/09 - 07:01 am

I'll toast to that! What is

I'll toast to that! What is it that the anti-enhanced interrogation people are afraid of? Are they afraid that the terrorist might be mentally harmed and scared for life? Are these people so distraught over the well being of murderers? They didn't do it to every one that was captured, only the those that were high ranking terrorist not the ignorant little Islamic radical terrorist. A little bit of water a few bumps and bruises didn't hurt them. I am sure in the violent life they grew up with, they have allot worse done to them by their own people.

confederate american
confederate american 05/13/09 - 07:03 am

i say cut there da-n heads

i say cut there da-n heads off,if that is whats needed to protect the people in this country and else were.you bunch of liberal pansies,i need my mommie.

Reality
Reality 05/13/09 - 07:05 am

What would it be called if we

What would it be called if we air dropped pigs blood on all of those evil bas****s????

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/13/09 - 07:05 am

Waterboarding is not torture

Waterboarding is not torture but I would shove a hot poker up a terrorist's anus if it saved American lives. I know Paul Cook and he is a far leftwing guy so this letter is no surprise but I agree with Cheney, release ALL related information not just the part that supports your domestic political agenda. It is kinda like 'cherry picking' intelligence to me, both are wrong and both only served narrow interests. Waterboarding was used on THREE confirmed TERRORIST who were main players in the 9-11 attacks. So I say cry me a river for these scumbags who killed over 3000 of our citizens in the name of God. It would be my pleasure to do to them all they have done to us. It would be my pleasure to fire up thier nuts with electrodes AFTER we got all the info we needed. I would LOVE to burn them alive like they did to so many thousands of ouf brothers and sisters. It would be my pleasure to put them on thier knees and saw off thier heads or to skin them alive. Or we could just hold hands and sing loving songs about Obama and hope for the best. DAMN YOU LIBERALS FOR MAKING ME AGREE WITH CHENEY!!!!

Motorman5039
Motorman5039 05/13/09 - 07:06 am

I'm very proud of the Obama

I'm very proud of the Obama Administration for deciding not to continue using torture as a way of dealing with prisoners to gather intelligence..It doesn't take a smart person to realize the intelligence gathered from such methods is questionable and unreliable at best..There is something sinister and dark about a person who can look in the mirror (or in the case of Bunkerdown Dick Cheney a camera) and defend a practice that we once condemned and hanged Nazis for..We here can argue about this till we are all blue in the face, but the people who will be affected by this are not here, they are on the fence in the war zones defending us..The treatment they may recieve if unfortunately they are ever captured will either mirror or be worse by the hands of rogue nations..That's right, rogue nations treat prisoners that way, and that title can no longer be applied to the U.S. thanks to the Obama Administration. For that I say thank you..America went without torturing prisoners before 9/11, and we weren't destroyed or considered weak; but don't ask Dick, Bortz, Bill-O, or Sean..Let them tell it we are doomed..And not one of them has ever served this country.One got 5 deferments during Nam.

shaglorious
shaglorious 05/13/09 - 07:09 am

We used this waterboarding

We used this waterboarding technique on THREE of the top ranking pigs. The type of pigs that strap bombs on children with down syndrome and send them into a crowd so that they can use their remote control to blow them up. I think we should have killed them after we waterboarded them.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/13/09 - 07:09 am

A note, when war breaks out,

A note, when war breaks out, there is no such things as treaty's or conventions its every nation for itself. Just as if my family was threatened its my job as a father to do what I can to protect my family. I wouldn't care what the law said. I would worry about the law once my family was safe.

confederate american