Across the area

Robbers steal Bibles from man on Reynolds

Two criminals probably weren't expecting the goods they got when they robbed a man at gunpoint.

According to a Richmond County sheriff's report, a North Augusta man told officers he was robbed about 9 p.m. Saturday in the 600 block of Reynolds Street by two men who escaped with a bag containing two Bibles.

The victim said the two men approached him and pulled out a black handgun.

In addition to the Bibles, the bag contained a toothbrush, toothpaste and an umbrella, according to the report.

The first man is described as black, about 5 feet 11 and 160 pounds. The second is described as black, about 5 feet 7 and 140 pounds.

Thief holds man at gunpoint for clothes

An Augusta man told police an armed robber stole the clothes off his back Sunday.

According to a Richmond County sheriff's report, the victim was entering the stairwell of the Governor's Place Apartments building at 3211 Wrightsboro Road about 7 a.m. when a man wearing a black ski mask pointed a black Glock handgun at him and ordered him to remove his clothing. The man handed the victim a trash bag and ordered him to put the clothing and his belongings in the bag. The thief fled on foot to a path on the west side of the apartment building.

The man was described as black, in his 20s, about 6 feet 1 and 150 pounds.

Augustan says he was shot in foot from truck

An Augusta man told officers he was shot Sunday morning near Bungalow Road and Bahama Drive by a man in a pickup truck.

According to a Richmond County sheriff's report, the 20-year-old victim, who is black, said he was walking home from work at 3 a.m. Sunday when two white men in a truck began speaking to him. The victim said he kept walking and one of the men pointed a rifle out of the window and shot him in the foot.

The victim was taken to Medical College of Georgia.

The shooter was described as about 6-foot-3, 160 pounds and wearing camouflage clothing. No description was given for the other man.

Traffic update

Richmond County

- Crews will be closing a lane on both sides of Bobby Jones Expressway between Scott Nixon Memorial Drive and Wheeler Road from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. today until Friday.

- A portion of Marks Church Road at Jamaica Road will be closed from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. today until Friday.

- The westbound Interstate 20 ramp to Belair Road will be closed from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. today until Wednesday. Crews will also close the westbound I-20 ramp to Bobby Jones Expressway eastbound from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. today until Friday.

Aiken County

- Crews will be doing asphalt work on portions of the following roads this week: South Busbee Drive, Old Camp Long Road, Clemson Drive, Shadow Road, Yamassee, Mohawk Drive, Fairway Drive, Farrell Cooper Drive, Robinson Street, Hillview Circle, Sweetgum Lane, Sassafras Road, Allison Street, Willingham Court and Irene Street.

- There will be work crews repainting pavement markings on several roads this week: Baker Street, Burroughs Street, Steed Street, Smith Avenue, Herndon Dairy Road, Whaley Pond Road, Rushton Road and Chukker Creek Road.

Reality
Reality 05/11/09 - 03:34 am
Only one victim description

Only one victim description given, how can you judge height/weight of passenger in truck at 3am?????? Typical race baiting by Chronicle.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/11/09 - 03:56 am
It's not race baiting,

It's not race baiting, Reality. It's the new "balance" that seems to permeate the paper for the past couple of weeks. Not enough whites are described in petty crimes and drive-bys.

Reality
Reality 05/11/09 - 04:00 am
If that is the case, I stand

If that is the case, I stand corrected.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 05/11/09 - 05:54 am
Reality and grand master

Reality and grand master patriciathomas if the people were white they were white. The only race baiting is being done by you. They were not the only suspects given descriptions, so were black suspects.

andywarhol
andywarhol 05/11/09 - 06:00 am
I also believe that it was

I also believe that it was two white guys. Who else would shoot a rifle? The story became questionable when the guy described the clothing, height and weight. It said he kept walking as if to ignore them. Honestly, I think it may be a cover up for either shooting himself, or he knows who shot him, but wanted to say it was a white guy.

Reality
Reality 05/11/09 - 06:21 am
pantherluvcik, I was

pantherluvcik, I was referring to the description of the victim not the black suspects.

jebko
jebko 05/11/09 - 06:31 am
Rob the man with a Glock hand

Rob the man with a Glock hand gun... took his clothes! The Glock ( if sold ) could buy him lots of clothes.

disssman
disssman 05/11/09 - 06:52 am
lets see. It was 9:00 in the

lets see. It was 9:00 in the morning on Saturday at 6th and Reynolds. Yeah I can't wait to go downtown for shopping where the protection from crooks is sooooo improved. Lets build more down there close to the jail house.

andywarhol
andywarhol 05/11/09 - 06:55 am
I was just in Savannah this

I was just in Savannah this weekend. Augusta is doomed for failure.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/11/09 - 08:21 am
What question came to mind

What question came to mind was, the 20 year old victim is walking home, claims a white guy shot a rifle out the window of his truck (which up to this point is believable), but then he describes the suspect as 6'3" and 160 lbs. How does he know how tall the guy is or approximate weight, when the suspect is sitting in a truck, shooting out the window. If the victim kept walking trying to avoid the suspect, evidently he didn't get close enough to know how tall or how much the suspect weighed. Something doesn't sound right.

mad_max
mad_max 05/11/09 - 09:07 am
You don't have to go to

You don't have to go to Savannah to see that Augusta is doomed. Just look across the river or over to Evans. People who want to see progress, better services, and better schools for their hard earned tax dollars have recognized that you can't fix stupid so you have to move to get those things.

andywarhol
andywarhol 05/11/09 - 09:22 am
Very true, MM. I took my

Very true, MM. I took my wife across the river to North Augusta once. It's like travelling to another deminsion.

SusieQ
SusieQ 05/11/09 - 09:28 am
Getting bad out there when

Getting bad out there when they start stealing the clothes off your back. The incident on Bungalow Rd. sounds a little odd to me. Just where did the guy work to be walking home at 3:00 A.M. on a Sunday morning? SusieQ

colcamp1
colcamp1 05/11/09 - 10:16 am
You do not question the

You do not question the incident about the Bible but you do the one about the shooting? For your information if you paid attention to detail, you can guess a person height and weight, even if he/she is sitting in a car, truck or riding a bike.

Concerned Citizen
Concerned Citizen 05/11/09 - 10:49 am
I see we still have the same

I see we still have the same racists comments from the same racist residents of Augusta.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/11/09 - 11:32 am
No, I did not question the

No, I did not question the incident about the Bible's getting stolen. To me, this incident is believeable. The victim possibly could have gotten the items he had in the bag from one of the resuce missions downtown and he gave a description of the suspect because they were in plain view. I only questions the other incident because the suspect was sitting in a vehicle where part of his physical description would have been blocked from view by a door. How is that not paying attention to detail? I don't think you can give an accurate description of someone's height or weight when you can only see from the mid-chest area and up. Get off your high-horse and stop trying to make my comments more than they were.

colcamp1
colcamp1 05/11/09 - 11:56 am
Seems to me you are the one

Seems to me you are the one on a high horse. Just because your ability to give a description is limited, does not make others so. I guess you need a person to pose next to a door at a 7-Eleven in order for you to give an approximated height or weight? I guess you would need a birth certificate, to guess an age?

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 05/11/09 - 12:12 pm
The shooting victim might be

The shooting victim might be an ex-carnie.

GSneed
GSneed 05/11/09 - 12:18 pm
Funny how all the crimes were

Funny how all the crimes were specific in saying the suspects were BLACK, but failed to mention the race of the guy with the rifle dressed in camouflage. So typical. Just last night, as I left the park with my two kids, a Honda with some young white kids (male and female) pulled along side me at the light and yelled "white power". I turned my radio all the way down and said "Excuse me...?" Again, the driver yelled it out but I realized my young children in the car with me and didnt want them to be harmed. So, I said to the driver "It'll be okay." and pulled off. Had I said anything else, I guess he may have shot me in my foot...?

GSneed
GSneed 05/11/09 - 12:21 pm
Susie, sounds like you're

Susie, sounds like you're saying the victim deserved to be shot because he was walking at 3AM. By the way, he works at Waffle House. I guess you've forgotten the fact that he was minding his own d@mn business!

chey
chey 05/11/09 - 12:41 pm
Gsneed, read again, the

Gsneed, read again, the article DOES state they were white.---- "Sunday when two white men in a truck began speaking to him. "

SusieQ
SusieQ 05/11/09 - 12:46 pm
GSneed-- I don't think I

GSneed-- I don't think I indicated that the guy deserved to be shot. But walking anywhere in Augusta at 3:00 A.M. in the morning is asking for trouble. Seems like a co-worker could have offered him a ride home. I actually feel for the guy, and hope they find the person that shot him and he gets what he deserves. I'm sorry I gave you that impression. SusieQ

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/11/09 - 01:28 pm
colcamp1. I guess everyone

colcamp1. I guess everyone should be as intelligent as you. A birth certificate would not be needed to estimate an age of a suspect because I'm assuming the suspect's face could be seen. As for height and weight, there are many variable that could determine someone's height and weight, length of legs and torso can make a huge difference in how tall someone is and who's to say this suspect was either a beanpole or endowed with a huge potbelly or carrying some extra weight around the lower half of his body, therefore making determining these factors difficult.

colcamp1
colcamp1 05/11/09 - 01:50 pm
That is why it is considered

That is why it is considered to be an approximation. We will just agree to disagree.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/11/09 - 02:13 pm
The two guys in the truck

The two guys in the truck weren't white. That was just thrown in to "balance" the article. Since nothing will come of it, who cares.

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.