Don't worry -- soon we will be happy

Whenever we call out to our government that we have lost our jobs, the response is, "Don't worry -- be happy!"

When we cry out we have lost our homes, the response is, "Don't worry -- be happy!" When we cry out we cannot pay more taxes, the response is, "Don't worry -- be happy!" When we worry about the added trillions in debt, the response is, "Don't worry, be happy!"

Well, in the next election, when we vote those politicians out and they complain, our response will be, "Don't worry -- be happy!"

Because we will be.

Cliff Henning

Graniteville, S.C.

GGpap
GGpap 05/10/09 - 03:03 am
Cliff, kinda like GWB advised

Cliff, kinda like GWB advised us to "go shopping," eh? Your premise is merely putting words (just be happy) in the mouth of this president that he never uttered. However, GWB did advise Americans to just go shopping at a very inappropriate time for that kind of advice. Did you write a "cute letter" about that? I think not. GGpap

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 05/10/09 - 03:27 am
I don't see where Cliff was

I don't see where Cliff was talking about the current President alone. Rather he was talking about the current batch of politicianS.

shamrock
shamrock 05/10/09 - 04:02 am
I agree with overburdened and

I agree with overburdened and I'll take it a step further. The current batch of politicians includes most of those in Congress during the last half of GWBs 2nd term in office. They screwed up this country, not the President. Yes, the buck stops there (Prez) but the people who make or break our economy are the Fat Cats on the Hill.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 05/10/09 - 04:57 am
Bush isn't president anymore.

Bush isn't president anymore.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/10/09 - 05:42 am
sh-h-h Sister A, GGpap

sh-h-h Sister A, GGpap doesn't know that yet.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/10/09 - 05:46 am
Overburdened has it right.

Overburdened has it right. This administration and congress is not an improvement over the last, unless you count willingness to spend and tax. Now that the Repubs have moved so far left of center, we have two liberal parties to vote for. The radical far left socialists or the radical left socialists lite. D.C. needs a serious flush and only the disgusted taxpaying voter can do the trick.

jedex6
jedex6 05/10/09 - 06:02 am
PT, You mocked my sources

PT, You mocked my sources calling them tinfoil hat. If that is what you truly believe, them you are sad and pathetic. Although, that is obvious, because just about everything you say is testimony to the absolute jerk that you are. If you think The New York Review of Books is tinfoil hat, that is probably because you have never heard of it.

jedex6
jedex6 05/10/09 - 06:06 am
That's right PT, taxpayers

That's right PT, taxpayers should be disgusted that corporations with phony offices in the Caymen Islands have been getting away with paying taxes at the rate of around 2%. And also that Obama wants to reduce taxes on people like us. Definitely cause for disgust.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/10/09 - 06:54 am
jedex, the tax system in this

jedex, the tax system in this country allows and forces the issues. If money needs to be protected to keep it available for use in this country, then offshore tax shelters are justified. It's better than moving the businesses and jobs to another country. If the tax system were more equitable, business wouldn't be escaping to other countries all of the time. Why be in business and operate at a minimal profit? That's not the goal of business.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 05/10/09 - 07:17 am
PT, once when my mother was

PT, once when my mother was griping about paying her taxes her tax man had the best answer for her and you who want to give money to the wealthy.(Wealth redistribution). It was, " If you didn't earn it, you wouldn't have to pay it." There is absolutely no reason why someone making hundreds of thousands, or millions or billions should pay a lower percentage of their earnings than one who earns less. As I have said, and it is proven by IRS records, the Top 400 wealthiest in this country paid 17% on their earnings(NOT CAPITAL GAINS), while those who make MUCH less paid from 25 to 33 per cent on theirs. Where in ANY way is that equitable? Tis country is about EQUALITY! It is NOT about increasing the gap between the wealthy and the poor. Don't tell me about hard work and all that. I work incredibly hard and do an excellent job. I have pride, loyalty and ethics. The wealthy have greed, avarice and are willing to do anything to get theirs. My proof? AIG, Merrill Lynch, Citigroup and BoA. How about Enron? All these failures happened under the Bush administration, while Bush and McCain said "the fundamentals of the economy are strong". Who pushed BoA to buy Merrill? BUSH!

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 05/10/09 - 07:22 am
By the way, I bet that there

By the way, I bet that there are more hard working people who will benefit from Obama's policies than the welfare people you love to denigrate. I'd be surprised if you didn't benefit from them

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/10/09 - 07:28 am
A recent Rasmussen Gallup

A recent Rasmussen Gallup indicates only 9% say Congress is doing an excellent job and 52% say poor. In Jan the Dem controlled Congress was up from 19 to 31%. Inacting Obama policy has put them in a hole. Still voters are hesitant to vote Rep. and unequivocally still support President Obama. Strange disconnect. I guess Obama can say he was "present" as president and will never be blamed for anything. Congress and Bush will be blamed. The ignorance of the average American voter is unbelievable, but given the poor education system here and lack of discipline it is no wonder-a literacy and intellectual wasteland. Send your children overseas to get an education before it is too late.

slippery 25
slippery 25 05/10/09 - 07:54 am
Good letter. I do not mind

Good letter. I do not mind giving someone some money. I do mind how they use it. I do mind that they keep asking for more and more. I am not crazy about the idea of funding photo shoots of planes, giving relatives of congress jobs, constant parties at the White House ,raising kids who do not speak English etc

wribbs
wribbs 05/10/09 - 07:56 am
I know this is off the

I know this is off the subject here, but Copperhead seems to think gubment has all the answers based on other posts he's written. I can't wiat for gas to go to $4 per gallon this summer, and you know it will, how's he going to blame Bush? How's he going to explain that obama can't do a damn thing about it?

apex24
apex24 05/10/09 - 08:04 am
Copperhead, another wealth

Copperhead, another wealth envy idiot.

braxtonbragg
braxtonbragg 05/10/09 - 08:09 am
I see the idiots are awake

I see the idiots are awake early today---LOCK AND LOAD

braxtonbragg
braxtonbragg 05/10/09 - 08:11 am
copperturd, was your tax

copperturd, was your tax burden "lifted" a small amount. If so, you puttig it aside to pay it back by next Apr 15?

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 05/10/09 - 08:24 am
Once again Bush had it right!

Once again Bush had it right! Our entire economy is based upon people CONSUMING products and services. Auto sales are down because people ARE NOT buying cars. Home sales are down because people stopped buying houses. And why did they start holding onto their money instead of spending? Because of the wreckless spending and policies of Pelosi and Reid when they seized control of Congress. When people are confident about their future they spend like crazy. These Socialists instill confidence in nobody except those parasites that live off the system instead of contributing to it. At the current rate it won't take the parasites loing to consume and KILL the host (taxpayers).

As for GaCopperhead, it's not that he's ignorant, it's just that like all liberals he knows so much that isn't true.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/10/09 - 09:08 am
Change.

Change.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/10/09 - 09:15 am
Copperhead, the 17% of

Copperhead, the 17% of several million dollars is MUCH MORE than the 25% of 30 thousand dollars. The graduated % tax carries many loop holes since the rich make the laws. Hasn't that dawned on you yet? What someone else makes and pays doesn't affect what you make and pay. Hasn't that dawned on you yet? Confiscating from the rich to gift to the less productive never works. Remember the HUGE tax on cigarettes? the multi-billion dollar settlement? The expense was passed on to the customer as the cost of doing business and the tobacco companies are richer than ever. The EXACT same thing happens when the rich are taxed. It's passed on to the consumer and they get even wealthier. Hasn't that dawned on you yet? You're not punishing the rich with huge taxes, Copperhead, you're punishing yourself. This seems so obvious to me.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 05/10/09 - 09:30 am
Sounds like a good reason to

Sounds like a good reason to embrace the "Flat Tax" to me.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 05/10/09 - 10:53 am
Same old stuff, just another

Same old stuff, just another day.

dhd1108
dhd1108 05/10/09 - 11:09 am
bahahaha, unless a 3rd party

bahahaha, unless a 3rd party candidate is elected, nothing will change. one's for big government, the others for bigger government. most voters are already happy, seeing as how ignorance is bliss. time for some bacon.

jedex6
jedex6 05/10/09 - 11:41 am
A flat tax wouldn't work

A flat tax wouldn't work either. If everyone was taxed at the same percentage, then the big corporations would figure out a way to get their percentage down to 2%, exactly as they do now. PT, you sould like a socialist, when you criticize the tax code with its loopholes, because "the rich" write the laws. Confiscating from the rich to force them to pay their share sure beats letting them spend it on $10 million palaces in the Hamptons and Manhatten penthouses. If, after paying their share, they still have enough left for their expensive toys, then I say they can have them. But only until they pay their share.

KSL
KSL 05/10/09 - 11:53 am
jedex, what do you consider

jedex, what do you consider to be their fair share? And how do you feel about the many tax cheats appointed by Obama?

mad_max
mad_max 05/10/09 - 12:01 pm
Bush and McCain were right.

Bush and McCain were right. Witness the economy and the stock market already coming back before the first penny of Obama's "stimulus" had been spent. The fundamentals are and have been strong. What happened was a knee jerk panic because of the mortgage problem brought on by ACORN and the Dems forcing the banks to make bad loans. Now, in 5 or 6 years the fundamentals will probably not be so good when the inflation and the declining value of the dollar set in because of the interest we will be paying on the huge deficit the Obama "stimulus" and his follow-up huge budget has put us in for the next 10 years at least.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 05/10/09 - 12:26 pm
Congress overall is at 31%,

Congress overall is at 31%, but the GOP's rating has gone down to under 26%. Remember this. Nearly 70% of voters overall in America vehemently disapprove of the conservatives. This from the McClatchy DC poll that had the headline "Whose stock is falling faster than GM? Republicans". As for ACORN, they have done nothing wrong. So don't even put that organization into this.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 05/10/09 - 12:28 pm
And to Mr. Henning, I won't

And to Mr. Henning, I won't be happy until liberals make up a two-thirds majority of Congress.

jedex6
jedex6 05/10/09 - 12:34 pm
KSL, I don't know exactly

KSL, I don't know exactly what their fair share should be, I am not a tax expert. But I do know that it should not be 2%, while mine is about 33%. I mean, that seems obvious, wouldn't you think? And I feel absolutely disgusted by the tax cheats appointed by Obama. I feel that people like Geithner, Paulson, Thain, and all the others who helped blow a ten trillion dollar hole in the economy should be wearing orange jumpsuits and be behind bars. Does that answer your question? You cons are too quick to assume that anyone who doesn't agree with you must be a dem or an Obama apologist. You think that way because you are apologists for all things repub. Are you happy that not one, single, solitary, thug and crook has gone to jail except Madoff? What a country!

jedex6
jedex6 05/10/09 - 12:42 pm
And I wonder how Henning

And I wonder how Henning thinks 20% of the electorate, which is about the percentage that identify as repugs, is going to determine the outcome of elections. The fringe does not wiln elections, and Henning and his philosophy are toast. Just wanted to set the record straight.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...