Teens in hospital, charged in car theft

Police say two teens were in Medical College of Georgia Hospital Thursday night facing multiple charges after they tricked a woman outside the Kroger grocery on 15th Street, stole her car, then wrecked on Milledge Road, crashing it into a house following a police chase.

The boy, 14, is being treated for a gash to his face, and the girl, 16, suffered a broken leg, police said. The car, a Toyota Avalon, also caught fire.

Richmond County Sheriff's Investigator Cory Carlyle said the incident began about 8 p.m. when the woman saw two young people who appeared distressed outside the grocery. She said she offered them a ride home, and after taking them to an address on Dunn's Lane, they said their mother would like to thank her.

After leaving the car to approach the house, she said one of the teens got behind the wheel, while the other strangled her from behind with a lanyard from her sunglasses.

She got away, but they got into her car and drove off. Police, however, quickly caught up with them and chased them through town at speeds approaching 80 mph.

The driver lost control of the car, crashing it into a porch at a residence at 297 Milledge Road, narrowly missing a man mowing his lawn.

Then the car caught fire, but was extinguished.

Police said the two juveniles are facing multiple traffic and robbery charges when they are released from the hospital.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/08/09 - 04:38 am
Damn...that's horrible! The

Damn...that's horrible! The lady was trying to help, and got strangled, and lost her car? What a bunch of thug punks! I am so glad they got hurt, and am looking forward to the book being thrown at them! You know, this lady went out of her way to help...going against all the things that common sense tells you nowadays...and this is how they treated her. No wonder others will continue to look the other way rather than help someone they THINK is in need. You can't trust anyone..terrible.

Reality
Reality 05/08/09 - 06:03 am
I think a stern,"that wasn't

I think a stern,"that wasn't nice please don't do it again" should suffice. Certainly they qualify for first offenders.....

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 05/08/09 - 06:42 am
I would never offer a

I would never offer a stranger a ride, what a sad situation.

SCGAL53
SCGAL53 05/08/09 - 06:55 am
We don't know if they were

We don't know if they were 1st offenders or not, but they certainly deserve the utmost punishment.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 05/08/09 - 07:30 am
They will probably release

They will probably release them to their parents.. I don't trust anybody either..

Reality
Reality 05/08/09 - 07:38 am
Sorry to correct your

Sorry to correct your grammer, but surely you mean parent.

avidreader
avidreader 05/08/09 - 08:18 am
The EXACT incident happened

The EXACT incident happened to an elderly friend of the family about three weeks ago -- Fifteenth Street Kroger, forlorn brother and sister, ride home, thanks from mom, stolen purse and car. Both culprits were identified as aprroximately 14/15. I wonder how many other elderly people will come forward with testimonials? It's too bad they're juvies. They'll be back on the streets in no time and the victim's insurance will have to cover all the damages. Young street kids are well aware of how to skate through the system. And the "parent" is also in tune with stalling the juvenile courts. It's a circus. As a teacher, I've been put through the ringer on several occasions. However, it is humorous when the grandmother shows up and begins crying in the courtroom and asking God for guidance (I experienced this twice). On the first visit, the mother always fires the court-appointed attorney. That's the first stall -- shall I continue?

imho1
imho1 05/08/09 - 08:29 am
Kick them out of the

Kick them out of the hospital; I don't want to be paying their bills. We should go ahead and execute these two now, before they become real criminals and hurt someone else.

stewartist
stewartist 05/08/09 - 09:05 am
What was going through these

What was going through these kid's minds? Was it fun they were looking for? They are going to have a difficult time locked up!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/08/09 - 09:15 am
This story teaches a lesson

This story teaches a lesson that you should not mow your lawn at 8:30 at night.

pofwe
pofwe 05/08/09 - 09:42 am
I had no idea that the cord,

I had no idea that the cord, chain, string etc ... that holds one's glasses is called a "lanyard," interesting. Security at the 15th street Kroger needs to "SNAP-TO!"

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 05/08/09 - 10:13 am
This same thing happened to

This same thing happened to an elderly lady I go to church with. She was just trying to help and they took advantage of her kindness. I hope it was these same punks and that they'll be punished accordingly.

Tots
Tots 05/08/09 - 10:22 am
I used to shop there years

I used to shop there years ago when I worked at M.C.G. It was bad back then I always shopped with my gun on me.You can have my money and take my car .Just let me reach down here and give it to you.My bad mr police officer I know they was good kids,Should have shot the tires.But they the same trash you keep letting roam the neighborhoods.They punks and bullies.

Dukedirtbag
Dukedirtbag 05/08/09 - 10:35 am
A lanyard, laniard, keychain,

A lanyard, laniard, keychain, is a rope or cord often worn around the neck or wrist to carry something. Usually it is used where there is a risk of losing the object or to ensure it is visible at all times.

AAQueen
AAQueen 05/08/09 - 10:41 am
I know I shouldn't bash the

I know I shouldn't bash the little old lady but come on. The only way a stranger is getting in my car is with someone I know or is an adolescent that I know I can handle. We're suppose to be wiser as we grow older. She left her common sense in the store.

Lippy
Lippy 05/08/09 - 11:08 am
Why is it the lady's fault

Why is it the lady's fault AAQueen? She was helping a 14 and 16 year old! How was she supposed to know they were satan's spawn? I want to know why the kids are only getting charged with traffic and robbery charges when one of them strangled her with her lanyard! That's outrageous! Plus, they obviously premeditated it if they were trolling outside Kroger! Unbelievable.

jamesj
jamesj 05/08/09 - 11:15 am
Thats why I moved to

Thats why I moved to Statesboro...... I didnt want to raise my kids in all that crazy crap up there.

AAQueen
AAQueen 05/08/09 - 11:18 am
Libby Truefully if you

Libby
Truefully if you encountered the Devils Spawn would you put them in your car and then get out when they tell you that their mother want to thank you.

Most 14 and 16 year olds are as large as adults.

Junket831
Junket831 05/08/09 - 11:21 am
Thats right Queen blame the

Thats right Queen blame the victim, it could have been your mother or grandmother. Granted, logic tells us don't let a stranger into your home or car. But many of these criminals are quite adept at acting the part of someone in need, after all they've been practicing for years and the system lets them get away with it. Don't know if they are first offenders, doubt it, but legally that may be true. BUT, the first offender rules should NOT count when violence is involved. This was a violent car jacking that could have resulted in severe injury to the victim or innocent bystanders. If found guilty the following penalties should apply: restitution to the victims for all damages to property, prison time, loss of driving priviliges for 15 years and expulsion from school. The parents or guardians of both assailants should also be held accountable financially. Which means if they are receiving public assistance, it now goes to the victims for a period of time. The reason is that parents or guardians of todays youth seem to have no sense of responsibility when it comes to the deeds and actions of their children.

AAQueen
AAQueen 05/08/09 - 11:50 am
Yes Junket831 I'm also

Yes Junket831 I'm also holding the victim responsible for what happen. Notice the ALSO? I also agree with your punishment of the criminals. I'll ask you the same question. Would you have allowed them in your car; my mother/grandmother wouldn't..

pofwe
pofwe 05/08/09 - 11:59 am
Dukedirtbag, thanks for the

Dukedirtbag, thanks for the info. I read some of your past posts. You're pretty witty. Writing background, wordsmith, or all of the above?

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 05/08/09 - 12:45 pm
These little angels can not

These little angels can not be guilty of anything. The cops should have just let them go....I mean that was all the rage in the last couple of days right?

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/08/09 - 01:08 pm
People, don't help anyone,

People, don't help anyone, see what happens when you try to be a good person, you get chocked and have your car stolen.

jack
jack 05/08/09 - 01:46 pm
The juvie court system is a

The juvie court system is a joke. These two will get a slap on the wrist.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 05/08/09 - 01:52 pm
Someday they'll end up in the

Someday they'll end up in the Big House.

KSL
KSL 05/08/09 - 02:56 pm
AAQueen, while I do realize

AAQueen, while I do realize it is dangerous it today's society to trust any stranger, it is pretty sad that someone cannot come to the aid of people in distress without fear. When the juvenile laws were put into place, juveniles committed fewer violent crimes. It's time for a change in the laws so that punishments can fit the crimes.

jusanote
jusanote 05/08/09 - 03:38 pm
Although it is sad that you

Although it is sad that you have to hesitate to help a stranger because of the way things are and it is hard for most of us to ignore our kinder instincts, it is a REALITY. To be honest I would rather feel a little guilty about not helping someone I don't know, than to wind up in the hospital or worse because I took a chance with my life. Crimminals really do realize that most people are inclined to try to help and a lot of them use that against you. I bet they don't feel badly at all about ripping off or killing those good samaritians who let their kind hearts overcome their basic good sense. I don't want my daughter and husband to be attending my funereal because I took a chance with my life and lost. These 14 and 15 yr old children have parents or a parent somewhere and most of them have a cell phone to call their parents or a friend if they are truly stranded and need help!

WhatsUpWithThat1
WhatsUpWithThat1 05/08/09 - 06:25 pm
Bullies pick on people they

Bullies pick on people they believe to be weak. Don't be weak people! Where are the parent(s) of these children, 'Thursday night' do they not go to school? If parents supervised their children they would not have the opportunity to do such things. I hope they are punished, but more than that I hope they learn from their mistakes. We all make mistakes, especially as teenagers, but it is what we take away from the experience that matters. Someone needs to teach these kids how to make good decisions.

redapples
redapples 05/08/09 - 07:31 pm
Only a little justice has

Only a little justice has been served up to these teens. I hope the Court imposes the maximum sentence for their misdeeds!

check
check 05/08/09 - 07:59 pm
Very understandable wanting

Very understandable wanting to help two "distressed" young people. Next time call a cab. Prayers for all concerned....everybody needs them.