Baby girl born just outside hospital

Marianne Albert reached down and helped guide her baby's head out of her womb as her friend's car skidded to a stop outside the Emergency Room at University Hospital, where she had been in the labor and delivery department less than an hour before but was sent home.

Mrs. Albert lay across the front seat as Elizabeth Martin-Greist raced around the other side of the car, yanked open the door, grabbed her legs and pulled off clothing.

"And there was the baby," said Mrs. Martin-Griest.

Eralyn Grace Albert's chaotic and dramatic entrance into the world April 20 is a bone of contention between the family and University, which insists the proper procedures were followed. The family insists it is just luck that everything turned out OK.

Ms. Albert, 22, was 40 weeks pregnant and due to be induced in two days to deliver her third child when she began to have contractions that Sunday afternoon. She began recording her contractions in a small notebook at 3:10 p.m. Around 12:16 a.m., they began coming every five minutes.

"After that I was like, OK, I think it is time to go," Ms. Albert said.

"They calmly left here at 1 a.m.," said her mother, Celia H. Albert.

They arrived at University at 1:20 a.m. and were shown into the triage room, where Ms. Albert was hooked up to a monitor. After about an hour and a half, her cervix had still not dilated much -- a sign that labor is progressing toward birth -- even though the contractions were still coming. And her water had not yet broken.

Ms. Albert's obstetrician-gynecologist was not on call that night, so another doctor in the practice was called. The nurse said the doctor wanted Ms. Albert sent home.

"Which was the last thing we expected to hear at that point," Ms. Albert said. "When she came in to tell me I was going home, I was contracting. And then she started trying to explain to me that I wasn't in labor. At that point I just started crying. At that point, I really couldn't say much."

Labor and Delivery nurse manager Terri Krygier said she reviewed Ms. Albert's monitoring, as did other nurses and physicians. When a patient is in her situation, where the cervix has not changed, the water has not broken and the baby is doing well otherwise, "she should go home," Mrs. Krygier said.

The family and Mrs. Martin-Greist tried to argue that though Ms. Albert wasn't very dilated, when she delivered her second child, she dilated and delivered very quickly, in about 45 minutes. But she was still told to go home.

"Certainly, they look at the concept of she has a history of rapid labors but just like every labor is different, even every labor that the same patient has can be different," Mrs. Krygier said. "Sometimes people come in and their second baby went real quick, and now that third one is your one that takes the longest."

Ms. Albert was given some demerol for pain before she checked out. The nurse handed her a form to sign before she left.

"And I was doubled over having contractions," Ms. Albert said. "She said, 'I know that's not what you want to hear. And I know you think you're in active labor but you're not.' She's telling me I'm not while I'm bent over having a contraction."

The family left at 3 a.m. and headed to Mrs. Martin-Greist's house about six miles away, intending to stay for a little while before returning.

About 10 minutes after they got there, Ms. Albert's water broke. After calling the rest of the family to turn around and head back, they got back in the car and started down Washington Road toward University. As they neared a red light at Berckmans Road, Ms, Albert felt the baby drop down. Her birth was imminent.

"I slowed down for the red light right," Mrs. Martin-Greist said. "And Marianne said, 'Run it!'"

She sped through the light and every other red light after that, topping 80 mph as she sped down Calhoun Expressway toward the exit to 15th Street. Ms. Albert pushed herself as flat as she could in the front seat, screaming and crushing Mrs. Martin-Greist's free hand.

"She started screaming, 'Pull over here! Pull over! Pull over!," Mrs. Martin-Greist said. "And I'm like, 'No, we're going to the Emergency Room.'"

As the car hurtled onto 15th Street, the baby's head started to crown in the birth canal.

"At Walton Way, I knew she was about to come out at that point," Ms. Albert said.

"And that's when it started pouring down rain," Mrs. Martin-Greist said.

Flying around corners, the car raced into the parking lot and up to the Emergency Room entrance, where the driver slammed on the brakes and ran around to Ms. Albert's door. Pushing her legs aside, Mrs. Martin-Greist saw the head and grabbed onto the right shoulder. Ms. Albert was screaming and laying on the horn.

"And I screamed, Push, blow the horn, push," Mrs. Martin-Greist said. Ms. Albert could see some patients in the waiting room staring at her, but no one came out.

After a couple of minutes, Eralyn Grace was all the way out and Mrs. Martin-Greist wrapped her in Ms. Albert's pants. Staff finally did start coming out and Ms. Albert was put on a stretcher and brought into the ER. Mrs. Martin-Greist wasn't allowed to follow because her car was still in the way.

"She was just shaking, she was in shock," Ms. Albert said. "She said, 'Can I just move my car up and come inside?' And they said 'No, you have to move your car now.'

Mrs. Martin-Greist said she was told to put it in a parking garage but "I didn't even know where the parking garage was. I didn't know where I was. All I wanted to do was go with Marianne and the baby to make sure they were OK.

"I drove around and drove around and drove around. I didn't know where I was."

She finally parked and made it around to the front lobby, where she ran into Celia Albert and the baby's father, Daniel Sutphin, who were waiting to take them up to labor and delivery again.

"At that point, she had blood on her. She looked like an accident victim actually," Celia Albert said.

At home, Eralyn Grace sucks loudly on a bottle in Ms. Albert's arms.

"She is the best baby. She sleeps all night," Celia Albert said.

"I'm not," the mother said.

Mrs. Martin-Greist, who had her children by C-section, still has a look of wonder when she talks about the delivery.

"It was amazing. I knew exactly what to do," she said.

"It could have ended up differently," Celia Albert said. "We're blessed that it didn't."

Having reviewed everything that happened, Mrs. Krygier said she is confident everything was done appropriately but that these things do happen.

"She had a baby that was eager to come and (she) came," she said. "You just can't predict labor and you can't live on hindsight. I have seen this happen before in my practice, in other organizations as well as this one, and it will happen again because you can't always predict when these babies are going to come."

Eralyn Grace will always have a reminder of her dramatic entrance into the world: her name begins with the letters -- E.R.

"It wasn't planned," Ms. Albert said, "but that is kind of funny."

Reach Tom Corwin at (706) 823-3213 or tom.corwin@augustachronicle.com.

GaMedic
GaMedic 05/03/09 - 01:42 am
I have heard of spin doctors

I have heard of spin doctors but not spin nurses. Just admit you were wrong and be done with it, University personnel!! Stop trying to C.Y.A. and cowboy-up! This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of...the woman was on her 3rd birth, she knew her body and you simply DID NOT LISTEN TO YOUR PATIENT!! Been there, done that. Had a hysterectomy; 2 days later I am screaming in pain, had 103.5 temp but was told I shouldn't be in pain, the pain meds should be enough. Kept telling them something was wrong with my incision; kept being patronized, treated like a child. Finally my spouse threatened to call the hospital's administrator AND 911 (from inside my hospital room)...and that got their attention. And guess what - I was right; had a raging staff infection that cost me another 10 days in the hospital & 11 wks recovery @ home - hideous scar & infection could've killed me; an infection I got in their hospital! But they say they did nothing wrong. Folks, don't give up. Make docs/nurses listen to you - it can be the difference between life and death!

helpicantfindthespacebar
helpicantfindthespacebar 05/03/09 - 02:16 am
It's a shame that this woman

It's a shame that this woman was treated so badly by the medical personnel she encountered. You are supposed to be able to TRUST the Doctors and Nurses but it seems to be almost impossible to do these days. I firmly believe that whenever possible, nobody should be left alone and at the mercy of the hospital staff...you need a family member or friend with you at all times to help make sure you receive proper care.

carolinagirl1970
carolinagirl1970 05/03/09 - 02:37 am
If they sent her home the

If they sent her home the first time they diagnose her wrong and that in the State of Georgia is malpractice. University Hospital sucks and I would have went to MCG.

carolinagirl1970
carolinagirl1970 05/03/09 - 02:38 am
If they sent her home the

pthsssh
pthsssh 05/03/09 - 02:46 am
I think it's time for a "One

I think it's time for a "One call, that's all".

fooman
fooman 05/03/09 - 03:55 am
If she felt that she was that

If she felt that she was that close to delivering why did she leave. They would have had to pull me out of there kicking and screaming. Idk after three babies she should have told them I know my body not you and I'm not leaving. Glad the baby's okay. I wonder if she stayed at University after the baby was born or if she made them transfer her. Surely if she felt the care was so bad she would have gone to another hospital. And I've been to University ER she could have parked in the ER parking lot which was right outside the ER door.

local girl
local girl 05/03/09 - 04:39 am
The hospital can sugar coat

The hospital can sugar coat this all they want but they were wrong.

mieshel
mieshel 05/03/09 - 04:44 am
Next!!

Next!!

aaa
aaa 05/03/09 - 04:45 am
Me thinks there may also be

Me thinks there may also be some lack of intelligence and common sense here on the part of the patient and her friend. Love how all you folks just luv ta assume that it's the doc/hospital/nurse's fault. What you have in this here story is one point of view. I wonder what the real story is. And why wasn't the boyfriend available to transport the mom-to-be to the hospital? Me thinks he was there at the point of conception. Get your checkbooks out folks. Time to pay for another out-of-wedlock child. I know, I know. Sounds insensitive, but you know it's true! Okay, I'll throw you folks a bone - that is definitely one very pretty baby!!!!

ss30809
ss30809 05/03/09 - 05:32 am
This is a perfect example

This is a perfect example when of what happens when physicians do not list to their patients. She clearly stated that her labor pains were abnormal, but they were dismissed. University should have at least kept her for observation....it was not like they didn't see that she was having contractions.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 05/03/09 - 06:38 am
The same thing happened to my

The same thing happened to my sister at a hospital up north. She refused to go home and sat in the hospital lobby. An hour later my niece arrived!

_old_jube_early
_old_jube_early 05/03/09 - 06:39 am
22 and this his her 3 kid?

22 and this his her 3 kid? Wonder who is suporting them--probably the taxpayer!

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/03/09 - 07:12 am
Sounds like University to me,

Sounds like University to me, inexperienced nurses making Dr. decisions.

hurlyburly11
hurlyburly11 05/03/09 - 07:18 am
This is standard

This is standard procedure..I can almost garantee that she had no private insurance...if she had she would have been admitted and monitored in a labor room....this is what having "nationalized" health care will bring you......the Hospital is there to make money..period.... and if you don't have any you can't stay and use a "paying" patients bed.......they used to at least let medicade patients walk the halls until thay were ready to deliver......now they just send them home...................

butterflygina
butterflygina 05/03/09 - 08:02 am
My daughter was born almost

My daughter was born almost 13 years after her brother. I kept having labor pains. When my labor was induced, my cervix had not dilated from after several hours. After much probing my doctor discovered scar tissue (from cervical cancer treatment). After she removed that scar tissue, my body did what it was trying to do, deliver that baby. We all know our bodies, if you feel something is wrong, seek treatment, discuss it with your doctor. And if the doctor you have is not as concerned as you are and doesn't ease your mind, get another doctor. It's a shame to think medicaid patients are treated differently than private pay customers. Regardless of how they are paying for thier hospital service, the hourly paid employees are going to get paid.

STAK
STAK 05/03/09 - 08:26 am
She should've gone to

She should've gone to Trinity.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/03/09 - 08:43 am
When I read the article, I

When I read the article, I could tell that the OB doc on call was contacted by phone, and, after hearing the status, he decided HE didn't want to come in on a case that wasn't full-blown. Lazy doctor. As far as milton's comments above, you can be assured that the "inexperienced nurses" got in touch with everybody they had to before going on the on-call doc's order to send the patient home. Contrary to everything else going on, the hospital personnel had to go by the facts and the current status of the patient....and that is not their desire...that is set forth by the lawyers and the hospital policy they are supposed to follow! If they admitted that girl and she did NOT deliver, who would be stuck with the bill?? The girl wouldn't have paid it, so the hospital would have to eat it...you know that. It's all about money, folks. And it stinks. But, with this set up the way it is, and the way hospitals are losing money left and right, they have to do some things like this to keep from losing money. And sometimes things like this "fall through the cracks"...no pun intended! I'm just glad everyone was okay, and I'm glad the lady's friend was there to help her!

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/03/09 - 09:08 am
JMO When my middle child was

JMO When my middle child was being delivered the Dr. kicked out the nurses, and screamed get some people in here who knows what they are doing. My child spent 2 weeks in ICU because of their inexperience. I had private insurance, and paid the $500 up front. I am just not impressed with University, I have heard to many similar stories.

concerned4
concerned4 05/03/09 - 09:09 am
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! When

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! When you are wrong, admit it! The girl knew her body as most of us do. Just because it was not text book, they sent her home. Sounds like medical malpratice to me. Lazy doctors and nurses afraid to do what they know is right. I am glad the driver did not have a automobile accident.

WAG
WAG 05/03/09 - 09:13 am
Doctors and nurses think they

Doctors and nurses think they are god. And treat people like dogs....My blood pressure was over 200 and I was sent home...And I had excellent insurance....But we are not supposed to question these gods. yea right

WW1949
WW1949 05/03/09 - 09:13 am
Stak, I do not believe she

Stak, I do not believe she could have gone to Trinity because that is a for profit hospital. The Richmoind County taxpayer should not be saddled with the bills. The baby's father and mother should have their wages garnished for a small amount each week and both parents should be fixed. I wonder if all the children are from different parents since she has not married. Sure it is their right to have children but not the taxpayers responsibility to support the mother and child from our wages. Welcome to the beginning of socialized medicine.

r
r 05/03/09 - 09:23 am
It is easy to blame nurse and

It is easy to blame nurse and hospital. The main statement here is doctor by phone. University Hospital can not admit a patient without a physicain order?!!! She had no physicain to give that order if her doctor on call said go home. I am sure the nurse followed every guideline she was given if no doctor admits you with orders on a chart you can't be given care at the hospital. It can be the nurse with the most knowledge in the whole world and she can't admit a patient with out a physican order. So one call thats all goes to the doctors office. For this reason alone when you select a physicain you need to look at the call line up or you can be in a mess!!!!!!! Most times you need your physican is after 4:30 and your care is only as good as his call partners then!!!!

crackertroy
crackertroy 05/03/09 - 11:04 am
Are there ever going to be

Are there ever going to be any more babies born with the same last name as their fathers?

UrbanMeyerHater
UrbanMeyerHater 05/03/09 - 11:28 am
Had she only had made the

Had she only had made the right "choice" this would not have been an issue. Isnt that right Democrats?

Tell it like it is
Tell it like it is 05/03/09 - 11:29 am
sue,sue,sue.

sue,sue,sue.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 05/03/09 - 12:06 pm
I would definitely do

I would definitely do something so this does not happen because there might be a next one but that time a baby's life might be in danger or even worse and all they will tell is go home!!.. take a pain med and call me in the morning.. ridiculous!!

Geistlich
Geistlich 05/03/09 - 12:24 pm
It's a pity the Chronicle did

It's a pity the Chronicle did not name the Physician and all of the staff. The public has a right to know about this level of incompetence.

Geistlich
Geistlich 05/03/09 - 12:24 pm
It's a pity the Chronicle did

r
r 05/03/09 - 01:01 pm
thats the whole point you

thats the whole point you have hospital in the paper who sent her home at her doctors request. The Doctor would not admit her there are no staff doctors at this hospital there are no orders to take care of her. Who is the lovely doctor who stayed home in bed?!!!!!!!!

georgiastoryteller
georgiastoryteller 05/03/09 - 01:14 pm
Why wasn't the baby's father

Why wasn't the baby's father there to handle this? HE should've been there to drive her, etc. She's 22, on her third child. I don't get it. Why should I, the taxpayer, have to pay for her and the kids?

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.