Raborn passes Farr on Pacer hit parade
In Aiken, former Evans star Ken Raborn became USC Aiken's all-time hits leader in Thursday's 14-2 victory over Pfeiffer.
Raborn's two hits moved him past Ashley Farr, who had 269 hits from 2002-04. Raborn now has 270.
Raborn, who also had two RBI, now holds seven offensive school records.
The victory was the 16th in a row for the Pacers (35-14).
Jaguars' Norlander makes Palmer Cup
Augusta State sophomore Henrik Norlander has been named to the European team that will take on the United States in the Palmer Cup in June.
Norlander, from Danderyd, Sweden, leads the Jaguars with a 71.78 scoring average.
- In Albany, Ga., Paine College finished third in the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Confer-ence Tournament at Flint River, and the Lions' Jerry Rapp finished fifth to make the all-tournament team.
Augusta State fills coaching vacancy
Sharon Bonaventure has been named head coach at Augusta State. She replaces Amber Cornett , who resigned Feb. 27.
Bonaventure has compiled a 232-135 career record in 12 years. She coached at Franklin Pierce the past three years, going 54-41.
Langley Pond plays host to two events
A sprint distance and intermediate distance triathlon will be held Saturday at Aiken County's Langley Pond. It is part of the South Carolina Triathlon Series, presented by Steadman Hawkins Clinic of South Carolina.
Junior trio to pass on senior seasons
Davidson's Stephen Curry , the nation's leading scorer, will enter the NBA Draft, along with fellow juniors Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington, of North Carolina.
- Augusta State men's coach Dip Metress recently picked up his Whack Hyder State of Georgia Men's College Coach of the Year award presented by the Atlanta Tipoff Club.
l Isiah Thomas will earn $1.29 million in salary and bonuses from Florida International if he stays for five seasons.
Georgia head coach wants NCAA waiver
Georgia is seeking a waiver with the NCAA that would allow coach Mark Richt to attend signee Chris Burnette's high school graduation.
The problem is Richt's appearance would apparently violate NCAA Division I recruiting rules.
- Clemson coach Dabo Swinney will earn at least $800,000 a year as head coach -- four times what he made as receivers coach and a little more than the school will pay this year as part of Tommy Bowden 's buyout.
- Florida State officials told the NCAA it's unfair to penalize coach Bobby Bowden as part of the sanctions announced last month, resulting from an academic cheating scandal that involved dozens of athletes. The university said the penalty that includes forfeits in football and nine other sports was too harsh.
- The Carolina Panthers signed Jake Delhomme to a five-year, $42.5 million extension that keeps the quarterback under contract through the 2014 season.
- Ex-Clemson and Chicago Bears star William Perry, of Aiken, remains hospitalized at Aiken Regional Medical Centers with a nerve disorder. A hospital official said Thursday night that Perry was not receiving visitors.
Frenchman turns in world record time
In Montpellier, France, Alain Bernard , of France, broke the world record in the 100-meter freestyle at the French championships, with a time of 46.94 seconds.