Claim in ad causes dustup

An ad's claim of exclusivity that is now no longer true is causing a small dustup between Augusta's two largest hospitals.

At issue are ads promoting Medical College of Georgia Hospital as having the area's only accredited Chest Pain Center.

While it was true at the time the ads started running in January, that is no longer the case. University Hospital received the designation earlier this month.

And now University's leadership wants the ads to stop or change.

"They're now the first. We'll give them that," said J. Larry Read, CEO of University Health Care System. "But we're also now accredited."

University contacted MCG Health Inc., which runs the MCG clinical system, to ask for the change. But the ads are part of a large campaign that includes print, broadcast and direct mail, said spokeswoman Deborah Humphrey. And there are already contracts signed to continue it for a couple more months, she said.

Still, they will see what they can do, Mrs. Humphrey said.

"That's not the sort of thing you can turn around on a dime," she said. "However, we fully understand their concern and we fully intend to address their concern."

As to why hospitals want the designation, which comes from the Society of Chest Pain Centers after extensive documentation and a site visit, it shows that the hospital is pursuing "best practice" in treating potential heart attacks, said Marilyn Bowcutt, vice president for patient care services at University.

"Clearly they have demonstrated best practice for the performance of the delivery of patient care regarding chest pain," she said. "They've actually been certified, they've been reviewed and that organization has been recognized as providing excellence in the best practice for the delivery of care."

Reach Tom Corwin at (706) 823-3213 or tom.corwin@augustachronicle.com.

ABOUT THE DESIGNATION

WHAT IS THE ACCREDITING BODY? The designation of an accredited Chest Pain Center comes from the Society of Chest Pain Centers.

WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA? The society uses a model of the best and most effective ways to treat chest pain, using peer-reviewed literature and input from groups such as the American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association. It includes things such as training emergency medical personnel and streamlining how and where patients are treated once they reach the Emergency Department, in addition to training and coordination of staff.

HOW IS IT OBTAINED? The hospital must not only document that it has all of the criteria in place but must also pass a site visit before being accredited.

HOW MANY ARE THERE? There are 12 hospitals in Georgia that have the designation, including Medical College of Georgia Hospital and University Hospital.

jajo1012
jajo1012 04/24/09 - 02:00 am
let's be thankful we live in

let's be thankful we live in a town with two hospitals of this caliber...

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/24/09 - 04:37 am
reg...you know what? You're

reg...you know what? You're right. Too often people come on here with negative posts instead of seeing the good in something. Thanks for reminding me about that!

treerock
treerock 04/24/09 - 06:52 am
a proper nutritional diet

a proper nutritional diet will allow you to avoid both of these high caliber disease management centers. however, if one subscribes to the standard american diet of processed corn and petroleum, then they may be thankful there are a wonderful group of professionals willing to take your money for something that could have been prevented in the first place.

502.5
502.5 04/24/09 - 08:15 am
Why is this a story? Sounds

Why is this a story? Sounds like UH is just sore for not being first...

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 04/24/09 - 08:31 am
Yeah but 1 hospital sucks and

Yeah but 1 hospital sucks and the other doesn't! University's emergency room is the worst! They told my husband with the first stroke he had that he had a migraine headache and the second time he arrived by ambulance and they told him it was heat stroke when in reality he had a cerebral stroke. They also told my daughter that she was a drug addict and threw her out when in fact she had a tumor in her spit glad and the meds they found in her system were in fact what THEY prescribed her 2 months before when she went there for severe pain not to mention the big old lump sticking out of her jaw. They actually gave her an MRI on her head! What a bunch of morons! I wouldn't let them examine my dog!!!!

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 04/24/09 - 08:33 am
Oh and by the way, MCG put my

Oh and by the way, MCG put my husband in the hospital for 4 days. They not only found the cerebral stroke but they also found the first one he had! MCG only for us from now on!

ripjones
ripjones 04/24/09 - 09:11 am
Ranger -- If you had read the

Ranger -- If you had read the story completely, you would see that UH agrees that MCG was the "first", just not the "ONLY" certified Chest Pain Center. MCG could've saved themselves a bunch of grief by saying "first", and end the commercial at that. Surely they were smart enough to know that once their ad came out, other hospitals in the region would be doing all they could to get certified also.

sueboo418
sueboo418 04/24/09 - 09:24 am
Not necessarily treerock,

Not necessarily treerock, it's in the genes sometimes.

DMac_357
DMac_357 04/24/09 - 09:43 am
sueboo, i agree with you;

sueboo, i agree with you; treerock is a little naive to think that all ailments can be headed off by nutrition. genes play a big part as well. good nutrition never hurts but genetics also play a part regardless of how well you eat and how much exercise you get.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 04/24/09 - 09:45 am
Sueboo418: You are so

Sueboo418: You are so correct. My physician once told me that he had patients who were lifelong vegetarians who had heart trouble, diabetes, ad so forth.

justus4
justus4 04/24/09 - 09:48 am
This is a story because

This is a story because "someone" at UH knows "someone" at the Chronicle, and that someone thought it would be a "public interest" story to help out someone who stood to gain from having a better profile for the hospital and not let MCG get all the chest pain patients. Now the question is: Which one is better staffed and provides the best service?

hurlyburly11
hurlyburly11 04/24/09 - 10:18 am
purmkinhead....do you not

purmkinhead....do you not have a Family doctor?........the ER is a busy place and if your personal doctor is notified when you are admitted it can make things easier for you and the very busy overworked staff....if you use the ER staff as your personal health givers you will never be happy... thats not their job but Gods knows they try. If your Daughter had seen her Personal doctor those problems you mentioned would have never come up.

disssman
disssman 04/24/09 - 11:26 am
Man I am glad the get a

Man I am glad the get a "staff visit" before they get the designation. I wonder if the visit is one hour or two hours long? After all time is money and we can't be wasting either. BTW don't ALL doctors take some kind of oath about patient cost?

soldout
soldout 04/24/09 - 11:31 am
good comments treerock. You

good comments treerock. You have a good understanding of how health works. If you don't know about it you might want to research NAET which is easily 50 years ahead in it's approach and EFT which is the most effective emotional treatment ever found.

jack
jack 04/24/09 - 12:10 pm
It was the MCg turkeys that

It was the MCg turkeys that failed to inform me that I had a serious leaking heart valve that that was causing my breathing problems. University found and corrected the problem.

jack
jack 04/24/09 - 12:10 pm
It was the MCg turkeys that

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 04/24/09 - 01:05 pm
disssman....I hope you have a

disssman....I hope you have a better handle on your money.....

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 04/24/09 - 01:08 pm
I guess the Society of Chest

I guess the Society of Chest Pain Centers was formed by the hospitals who couldn't recieve accreditation from the Georgia Heart Institute?????

ripjones
ripjones 04/24/09 - 02:16 pm
Tujeez - Please research

Tujeez - Please research things, before you spew forth your bits of wisdom. The Society of Chest Pain Centers is a NATIONAL organization.

502.5
502.5 04/24/09 - 03:42 pm
ripjones - apparently you

ripjones - apparently you know nothing about advertising. Businesses don't HOLD ADS or NOT LAUNCH CAMPAIGNS because another business might come along with the same or better feature/benefit. That's absurd!! And BTW, your response further proved my point that one competitor is "sore" about the other becoming accredited first.

HillGuy
HillGuy 04/24/09 - 04:47 pm
There is a reason why Augusta

There is a reason why Augusta needs so many hospitals. Look at how overweight people are here... the diabetes rate here is well above the natl average. Augusta was ranked the 5th fattest city in America, and it has one of the most sedentary populations. Poor diet and lack of exercise is why Augusta needs so much medical care.

DEVGRU
DEVGRU 04/24/09 - 07:27 pm
Collard greens with bacon

Collard greens with bacon fat, fried chicken livers, cornbread with real butter. That's almost worth having a heart attack.

ripjones
ripjones 04/24/09 - 10:44 pm
stratos - I never said "hold

stratos - I never said "hold an ad". If you had really read what I said, you would've seen I said that they should've stopped with the "first", and not continued with "only". And actually, I do know a little about advertising. What is absurd is that advertisers have sunk to the depths, such that they have to employ "speed talkers" at the end of the advertisement to lay out the disclaimers. Lastly, you have to ask yourself, if the roles were reversed, wouldn't MCG feel the same way ? In response to justus -- MCG has just as many friends @ the AC, and I'm sure that Trinity does as well.

Tots
Tots 04/25/09 - 09:16 am
SwampGost I ate my share last

SwampGost I ate my share last night so stay up wind.But they sure were good and made my heart feel like I was a young girl eating at grandmas house.What you eat does not cause a heart attack.But you do need to push away from the table before your full.If you have bad genes .Just trace the way people die in your family.