Across the area

Mother of wandering 4-year-old is arrested

Authorities have arrested the mother of a 4-year-old who was found wandering the streets Monday.

Allison Jontil Barnes, 24, of the 1900 block of Central Avenue, was charged with depravation of a minor Thursday, according to a Richmond County Sheriff's jail committal.

Her child was found sitting on the side of Central Avenue and her apartment was filled with filth, authorities said.

Man is arrested after delivery man is robbed

An Augusta man was arrested Thursday on armed robbery charges in connection with the holdup of a Pizza Hut delivery man Sunday.

Jerrell Marquese Anderson, 17, of the 2300 block of Hardwick Road, is charged with one count of armed robbery. The victim told police he was delivering a pizza to a home on Truxton Drive when three men assaulted him, pointed a gun at his face and stole his wallet, a sheriff's report said.

Man sought in North Augusta bank robbery

Police are looking for a man who robbed the Bank of America on Martintown Road Thursday.

North Augusta Public Safety Lt. Tim Pearson said a man wearing black pants, a black shirt and a mask and carrying a pistol entered the bank about 12:30 p.m. and demanded money. He then fled into a wooded area.

A state constable who was in the parking lot unsuccessfully tried to stop the robber as he came out of the bank.

Lt. Pearson said a report that gunshots were fired has not been verified. No one was injured.

Switch glitch turns off power for 5,000

A problem with a switch at a substation caused a power outage Thursday morning, leaving about 5,000 south Augusta customers without electricity for about two hours, said Steve Chalker, of Jefferson Electric Membership Corp.

The outage was centered on the Tobacco Road area and most customers got power back Thursday morning, he said.

Two Richmond County schools -- Jamestown Elementary and Morgan Road Middle -- were without power for a few hours, according to Director of Public Information Louis Svehla.

Date still not set for Neumar murder trial

Authorities in Stanly County, N.C., said Thursday they have yet to set a trial date for a 77-year-old Augusta grandmother accused of murdering her husband in 1986.

The trial date for Betty Neumar, of Cambridge Court, has yet to be determined, said Ginger Efird, of the Stanly County District Attorney's Office. "The case is still pending," she said.

Mrs. Neumar was charged with the 1986 shooting death of her fourth husband, Harold Gentry, in the small community east of Charlotte. She was arrested at her home in Augusta in May 2008 and accused of hiring a hitman to kill Mr. Gentry.

She is free on bond.

SusieQ
SusieQ 04/24/09 - 08:31 am
Glad they found the woman

Glad they found the woman that "abandoned" her child. Get to the bottom of this and put this child in a safe place now. She doesn't deserve to be a Mother. SusieQ

PopieBoy
PopieBoy 04/24/09 - 08:31 am
Filled with Filth you got to

Filled with Filth you got to love it

merlin
merlin 04/24/09 - 09:40 am
If police would've hopped to

If police would've hopped to it they could've caught the robber. The station is not far from the bank and they got called when the robber entered the bank. Someone saw him with a mask on going inside so they called immediately. None of the police were in the area. I know a couple of public safety officers live in one of the neighborhoods real close to the bank. I love NA but I'm so dumbfounded over this. I used to work right beside that bank and if I ever set the alarm off coming in, they were there in a skinny minute. What happened yesterday????

merlin
merlin 04/24/09 - 09:42 am
That was supposed to be a

That was supposed to be a question. "None of the police were in the area at the time?"

hurlyburly11
hurlyburly11 04/24/09 - 10:00 am
It's a standing joke with

It's a standing joke with business owners in North Augusta...."iF A THIEF WANTS EASY MONEY COME ON TO NA. YOU WILL NEVER BE CAUGHT!"...I also love my city but there is no way these guys are criminal investigators.........they are very good at putting out fires and writing tickets.....I think the time has come to step up the NAPD with experienced investigatores...it's sad but our city is growing and we are now a target for the thugs and thiefs who are aware that they can get away with their crimes here...... we have a new Chief I hope he can bring in more experienced men and women to stop this spree of holdups................

uptheseventhplanet
uptheseventhplanet 04/24/09 - 11:54 am
"Depravation" or

"Depravation" or "deprivation"? Was the child depraved or deprived?

gnx
gnx 04/24/09 - 01:34 pm
seventhplanet - Gotta love

seventhplanet - Gotta love the proof reading skills of the AC's staff. However, their inability to catch many of the errors going to print do provide many of us with a few giggles. :-)

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/24/09 - 02:46 pm
I did a double-take on that

I did a double-take on that one too. And I have to say, the three young men that robbed my son awhile back in North Augusta, were found within 10-20 minutes. My son had the description down so well, he described the year model of the car, exactly right. I could have helped him solve it anyway, I had seen them casing the place earlier in the week and pointed them out to another clerk on a different shift. When I left, I passed them turning into an apartment complex across the river, one of them was on a bike, and nearly fell off of the bike startled when he noticed me noticing him. Now I know why.

hurlyburly11
hurlyburly11 04/24/09 - 08:56 pm
baroness..your life is surly

baroness..your life is surly a modern drama...............

Kettle donations rise in 2014