Writer gets tea parties totally wrong

As I stomached my way through Lowell Greenbaum's letter ("Republicans brewing some bitter tea, April 20), I recalled the words of Bertrand Russell: "A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand." I understand that Greenbaum is the Richmond County Democratic Party chairman. However, if he is going to give three cheers for the party, he should try to make sense and have it rooted in truth.

The tea party was nonpartisan. Was he there? No! I was. His rambling stated, "If it is nonpartisan, how come Republicans such as Paul Broun and Newt Gingrich are leading distributors of the tea bags?" I will not speak for these two gentlemen. But I will say that I heard Paul Broun in no uncertain terms express his displeasure with Democrats and Republicans for their out-of-control spending.

Greenbaum writes, "According to the Obama plan, we will be reducing the debt over the next few years while increasing millions of jobs." Really? Obama and this Congress have spent more than $1.5 trillion in alleged stimulus funds. Now we have a $3.65 trillion budget. How is that reducing the debt? Greenbaum probably believed Barry Soetoro when he told Congress that the stimulus plan had no earmarks or pork. I guess Greenbaum is grading Soetoro on what he says, not what he does.

As for millions of jobs, time will tell. However, remember the hundreds of billions of dollars spent to rescue mortgages? Only one has been saved thus far. Don't hold your breath waiting for the deficit to decline and millions of jobs to be created. I'm still waiting for the 100,000 additional police officers President Clinton promised the crime bill would deliver.

This president and Congress have woken a sleeping giant; we are mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore.

Lee Benedict

Martinez

Tots
Tots 04/23/09 - 10:56 am
not an ugly.bUT FROM THE

not an ugly.bUT FROM THE 2:23AM COMMENT.

HotFoot
HotFoot 04/23/09 - 11:14 am
southernguy, my comment makes

southernguy, my comment makes perfect sense. Though I did not vote for Bush, once he was elected (or stole the election, whichever you believe) I supported him (i.e., I reserved judgment). What's unclear about that? I said that I gave him the benefit of the doubt, unlike a good chunk of you folks are doing with Obama.

1941
1941 04/23/09 - 11:16 am
Bush a wakenedsleeping

Bush a wakenedsleeping giants, when he decided to invade a muslim country.A billion people who hates the united states, because of it;s aggorant, smug, nasty ways. The united states think that they are better than any other country. Everything the united states have they took from others.Now a people has risen and are saying 'enough is enough". Now who is scared.The muslim people want the united states out of thier buisness., and thier countries.

KSL
KSL 04/23/09 - 11:22 am
They want more than that, 41.

They want more than that, 41.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/23/09 - 11:23 am
1941 spelled Bush correctly.

1941 spelled Bush correctly. Good start.

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/23/09 - 11:29 am
1941: Are you serious?

1941: Are you serious?

Ken
Ken 04/23/09 - 11:45 am
Greenbaum is a typical

Greenbaum is a typical leftwing bleeding heart liberal who wants to give our Country back to the Indians because if you want to be politically correct it's truly their land that we took and we should all go back to the Countries of our grandfather's birth. These idiots who condemn torture and are card carrying ACLU LOONS. They are ruining our freedoms and making us a joke in front of the whole world. Next we'll be publishing letters of apology to Sadam's family for capturing him. We need to confront these idiots and deal with them by exposing the stupidity of their ideology.

disssman
disssman 04/23/09 - 12:15 pm
Lee may think he is right,

Lee may think he is right, but his tea party still managed to draw less than 1% of the CSRA. That stat tells a different story.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/23/09 - 01:10 pm
If the Democrats were so

If the Democrats were so upset and dissatisfied with former President Bush's policies and decisions, then why did we not hear the outrage from the deomocratic party members while he was in office. They could have had their own demonstations. It's like now that the Republicans have had enough and are speaking out, the Democrates want to fuss and complain about the Republicans expressing their constitutional rights of free speach. The Dems. may not like it but why do they have to get nasty about it.

DMac_357
DMac_357 04/23/09 - 02:16 pm
Lee, we're glad someone woke

Lee, we're glad someone woke you up because while Bush was sleep at the wheel for the last 8 years, you must've been sleep right along with him. About time you woke up!! It's unfortunate that Obama made some cabinet picks that didn't make it. A lot shouldn't be made of that. I don't remember any president getting through all their cabinet picks. Bush definately didn't either. Remember Linda Chavez, Bernard Kerik and even Harriet Miers? Big deal, some cabinet nominees don't make it but the administration still goes on. Who cares about what the biased AC or their even more biased readership here online think. You can go on with your tea parties and whatever else you feel you need to do. Talk is cheap and blindly following the Repug mouthpiece Rush isn't considered action.

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/23/09 - 02:36 pm
MIDWEST, I love the way you

MIDWEST, I love the way you broadcast your net to include anyone who criticizes O as right wing, or racist, or not giving him the benefit of the doubt. I didn't vote for O, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt once he was elected, thinking things couldn't get worse. Boy, was I wrong! By the look of the rallies last week, a lot of former O supporters feel the same way.

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/23/09 - 02:44 pm
greenbaum + ideology =

greenbaum + ideology = idiot

democrats + greenbaum = idiots
___________________________________
grand total = party of idiots

sorry, this math was taught to me in "guvmint skuuls" and shouldn't be confused with the real thing. did you understand that, midwest?

JENASIX
JENASIX 04/23/09 - 05:08 pm
Young Republicans and

Young Republicans and Columbia County resident next year,for your Tea Party on tax day, occupy Stone Mountain,GA were the K.K.K. held their protest not Richmond County.

CH
CH 04/23/09 - 06:27 pm
JENA, please learn how to

JENA, please learn how to construct proper sentences. First, the word is where, not were. Second, try a comma after resident, and GA. Democratic and ignorant seems to go together like peanut butter and jelly. Too bad there has been no "change" in that fact.

Taylor B
Taylor B 04/23/09 - 08:34 pm
I don't think JENA has two

I don't think JENA has two brain cells to rub together.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 04/23/09 - 09:07 pm
KSL
KSL 04/23/09 - 09:25 pm
Have schools abandoned

Have schools abandoned teaching grammar, spelling, and punctuation? It certainly got drilled into me, though over 40 years out I do forget certain things I don't use on a daily basis. JENASIX, what say you? I would love to know if you were not exposed to proper English or did you choose to ignore it?

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 04/23/09 - 11:05 pm
Conservatives DON'T give one

Conservatives DON'T give one iota about America -- they proved that since essentially 1981. The conservatives and the Republican Party has been taking away our freedom and destroying America piece by piece for the last 28 years. And I'm not the anti-American around here. The conservatives are the ones who hate America. Maybe all of you should just move to Iran or Saudi Arabia.

KSL
KSL 04/23/09 - 11:40 pm
Willi, the conservatives

Willi, the conservatives don't like Iran and Saudi Arabia. Why on earth do you suggest that they go ahead and move there? When you make statements like that, people think you are an idiot. Are you?