Punished for her beliefs

We're not sure why political views play into the Miss USA pageant anyway. Why do beauty pageants feel the need to prove they're not about looks?

If that's the case, why don't a few Susan Boyles win?

But this is the course the pageants have taken -- and now it appears the Miss USA pageant has crossed yet another line by declaring some political (and religious) views to be incorrect. And that holders of those views are essentially disqualified.

It's clear from the reactions and writings of the pageant's judges that runner-up Miss California, Carrie Prejean, lost any chance of being crowned Miss USA when she answered a question about gay marriage by saying she opposed it.

"If I could have made her 51st runner-up, I would have," writes judge Alicia Jacobs in her blog. "As she continued to speak, I saw the crown move further and further away from her. When she finished, she looked strangely proud for a moment. Personally, I was stunned on several levels."

Jacobs goes on to wonder: Why didn't Miss California tailor her answer to the judges, when she knew they were pro-gay marriage?

Wow. We're stunned on several levels.

First, that a judge would actually suggest a contestant say what the judges want to hear, not what she really believes.

Second, that there is a "right" and a "wrong" answer to a question that involves a deeply personal matter of conscience.

There is no right or wrong answer to that query. It is a question of purely personal and spiritual conviction. For someone to be judged "incorrect" on such a matter is Orwellian, shocking and dangerous. It's an intellectual and ideological witch hunt.

Prejean says she thought it was more important to be biblically correct than politically correct, and that she doesn't regret her answer. "I was true to myself."

Good for her. But obviously, that can cost you dearly in today's society.

Carrie Prejean wasn't judged for her beauty and talent. She was arrested, tried and convicted by the far-left Thought Police.

How sad and frightening.

Talkatoast
Talkatoast 04/23/09 - 08:49 am
Perez Hilton's just a stupid

Perez Hilton's just a stupid blogger. He's made no real strides in life.

georgiastoryteller
georgiastoryteller 04/23/09 - 08:53 am
Leave a comment for Ms.

Leave a comment for Ms. Jacobs here--you can read her blog and totally gag at her "political correctness."

georgiastoryteller
georgiastoryteller 04/23/09 - 08:55 am
Thank you, Talkatoast. If

Thank you, Talkatoast. If you read his blog, the majority seem to disagree with his opinions! How interesting. He can dish it but he can't seem to take it. What a jerk.

cparker
cparker 04/23/09 - 09:08 am
The pageant has become an

The pageant has become an immorality nightmare!! I applaud Miss California for admitting she accepts marriage the way God intended. Two things that are dear to me are: Consider the cause of the poor & maintaining the sanctity of marriage as God intended. I hate watching believers get run over with social acceptance of gay marriage as though God approves of it. America seems to be ready to ask God to come and get on his knees and apologize for destroying Sodom & Gomorrah.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 04/23/09 - 09:12 am
patriciathomas: haven't you

patriciathomas: haven't you learned by now not to respond to my posts? Your retorts are without exception ill-informed and illogical, to say nothing of moronic. Of course the Boy Scouts took an "anti-homo" position, which reflected their institutional set of principles and beliefs. And it might be possible to argue that the National did not express an "anti-woman" attitude, but it is not possible to claim the club's position was not discriminatory. The point is that private organizations can enforce any policies they wish, which has NOTHING to do with Orwell. You call my post "perverse." That just means you accept policies in private groups which discriminate against gays and women, but reject policies of a private organization which discriminate against individuals with anti-gay opinions. In other words, your views have everything to do with your personal biases, and nothing to do the the government / private distinction my original post discussed. My guess it that you're just too stupid to make a thoughtful response to my point. Sorry, the truth hurts; but I will never let your pathetic rants go unanswered.

soldout
soldout 04/23/09 - 09:13 am
Carrie made God proud. He

Carrie made God proud. He says if you are ashame of me on earth I will be ashame of you in heaven. Everyone realizes being gay is a choice as all sexual activity is. No one accidentally has sex. The reason there seems to more doing the gay sin today is because of the soy in so many products. If you want your little boys to grow to be men drop all the soy. If you think you are gay drop the soy and watch what happens. God would have never called something a sin and then made you where you had to do the sin. Those who think that know nothing about the nature of God.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 04/23/09 - 09:17 am
milton1874: I completely

milton1874: I completely agree with your post. If the Miss USA pageant loses viewers and even goes off the air as a result of enforcing their PRIVATE institutional views, so be it! But I take your response to accept the basic government / private distinction my original post argued for, and that "Orwellian" refers to government actions backed with police power, not the actions of private organizations.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/23/09 - 09:23 am
eel, again, I seem to type

eel, again, I seem to type too fast. I'll try this in a more simple mode. Unintended consequences are the result of actions. The larger the person or organization taking the action, the more likely the unintended consequences are to take place. Having a far left fringe socialist as the leader of the free world leads to every nut job in the country coming out of the woodwork to claim credence. Sorry if the truth hurts. Your perverse extrapolations cry out for replies.

soldout
soldout 04/23/09 - 09:23 am
By the way those who don't

By the way those who don't know or don't speak the truth can always be known by their name calling. Lies don't upset others; only the truth. The volume of comments to any article indicates the level of truth in it. The more truth written the more upsetting to those who follow the principles of satan and the more they scream and call names.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 04/23/09 - 09:24 am
We will see who is going to

We will see who is going to support the Miss USA pageant next year. I wonder what sponsors they will obtain?

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/23/09 - 09:25 am
eel, just curious, your

eel, just curious, your points notwithstanding, how do you feel about Ms California losing because of her religious beliefs? Are you not bothered by the fact that she was asked that question specifically because Hilton knew she attended Bible college and what her probably response would be? I agree the "Pageant" should be able to have whatever rules they want. But, shouldn't they advise people that contestants with, for the lack of a better word, conservative values, need not compete?

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 04/23/09 - 09:53 am
You don't think politics

You don't think politics belong in the pageant willi? Yet your willing to accept that this person was disqaulified by judges for exercising her right to free speech. For espousing what she believes in as long as it isn't opposite what you believe in. You lefties always talk about tolerance but are the first to punish someone for not believeing in what you believe in. I'm surprised as a person that touts "misogynism" here on a regular basis that you haven't railed against beauty pageants as a whole. Your responses are so typical of public education brain washing. It would be comical if it wasn't so sad.

KSL
KSL 04/23/09 - 09:53 am
I'm not at all impressed with

I'm not at all impressed with eel. She is impressed enough with herself.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 04/23/09 - 09:54 am
Looking at EEL's post about

Looking at EEL's post about the Editor, I thought I saw where a new Editor had been hired by the AC? Mebbe EEL just has a sweet spot for MR???

hurlyburly11
hurlyburly11 04/23/09 - 09:54 am
who really gives a flying

who really gives a flying fig..........I am proud that Miss Ca. spoke her truth and if the judges didn't like it tough..she got her point out on National TV...she did what she was supposed to do...show how the people of CA feel about gay marriage...job well done Miss CA!

Rose
Rose 04/23/09 - 09:58 am
President Obama also believes

President Obama also believes that marriage is between a man and a woman.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 04/23/09 - 10:05 am
Tujeez: the new editor is a

Tujeez: the new editor is a general editor, not a new editorial editor.
No, Mike ("Oh puleeeeze") Ryan is dispensing his usual brand of far right political ideology as always.

sjgraci
sjgraci 04/23/09 - 10:11 am
Just another beauty queen

Just another beauty queen idiot on stage like Sarah Palin. Both lost for the same reason. America has rejected their bigoted beliefs. Continue to espouse those beliefs, continue to expose your ignorance and intolerance, continue to lose.

Rose
Rose 04/23/09 - 10:14 am
Miss California was right to

Miss California was right to answer the question the way she did. She expressed her opinion. She told the truth, and without slamming those who disagree.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 04/23/09 - 10:16 am
justthefacts: you raise a

justthefacts: you raise a good point. Of course we don't know what the contestants knew or didn't know about the sorts of questions they would be asked, but if this question really "came out of left field" (no pun intended....) as some suggest, then yes, I think that would be a bit unfair. Having said that, I also think contestants such as Miss CA who have done the "pageant thing" for many, many years ought to be more savvy about what to expect in these competitions and should be able to come up with answers that are consistent with their views without being so assertive on an issue most competitors should realize are controversial and thus potentially dangerous. We shouldn't dismiss completely, I might add, the possibility that Miss CA thought her answer might win her points with the audience and some of the judges, and consequently she was being consciously calculating herself, who knows? But back to your question: I feel badly for Miss CA if she was blindsided, just as I feel for gays and women who are discriminated against by organizations such and the Scouts and the National.

toldya
toldya 04/23/09 - 10:23 am
I think it was an

I think it was an inappropriate question to ask in a pageant. Only if she were running for political office, it is an appropriate question.

bdittle
bdittle 04/23/09 - 10:24 am
You guys are missing the real

You guys are missing the real point here... and it is a capitalist dream! Donald Trump is making a ton of money off this publicity!

HotFoot
HotFoot 04/23/09 - 10:25 am
eel, what you say makes

eel, what you say makes perfect sense...which is why PT employs his usual shtick about typing moooorrrrre sloooowly so you can comprehend. In any case, you're right, he's wrong, and I'm so done with this comments section (yeah, yeah, I'm sure all you reactionaries are weeping at my departure). I've finally realized that reading all you goobers' f-wad opinions is giving me a jaundiced view of this place. And the few posters who make sense (eel, TechLover, shivas, RetiredArmy, Cain, and some others) cannot compensate.

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 04/23/09 - 10:27 am
Once again someone that

Once again someone that preaches tolerance and then bashes everyone that doesn't agree...nope you won't be missed...

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 04/23/09 - 11:05 am
Go back to the Midwest I'm

Go back to the Midwest I'm sure they will love you there. Anyways I think she new what she was doing. Ms CA was not a ignorant women. She stood for what she believed and faced the consequences in my mind she won. She didn't compromise her beliefs and she will be rewarded for it. Think of how much money churches are going to pay her to come speak and give her testimony to other Christians. She is going to be a folk hero. She is going to have a great career.

blueshetladdog
blueshetladdog 04/23/09 - 11:10 am
sjgrici,I hardly know where

sjgrici,I hardly know where to begin.Sarah Palin and Miss California are very intelligent women.They hold different values than you that's all. Both lost because of people's bigotry and ignorance-that's the only reason.I think the majority of americans are against gay marriage and God certainly is. I admire both women for standing up for what is morally correct.. Just because you win doesn't mean you are right. You are the bigot.

freedombelle
freedombelle 04/23/09 - 11:25 am
na na na na, na na na na,

na na na na, na na na na, hey hey, goodbye....mwt !!!!

blahahh42
blahahh42 04/23/09 - 11:52 am
I agree that the question

I agree that the question shouldn't even have been said! Specially in a "Beauty Pagent" of all events! They asked her opinion on the matter so her answer shouldn't have affected her winning or losing the pagent. That was just ignorant, Freedom of Speech Is Freedom of speech PEOPLE!!!

disssman
disssman 04/23/09 - 12:03 pm
Why do they call it the Miss

Why do they call it the Miss USA pageant anyway? Isn't it owned by Trump, lock stock and barrell? What part of the USA are these ladies representing, they sure don't look like anyone in my neighborhood.

Rose
Rose 04/23/09 - 12:05 pm
Miss California and Palin are

Miss California and Palin are no alike. Palin's views determined her loss. It was a political race. Miss California was not running in a political race. Her opinions should not have been an issue in the beauty contest.

Augusta Commission tables vote on stormwater fee

Augusta commissioners again on Tuesday delayed taking action on a stormwater utility fee, despite including fee revenue in next month's budget and increased opposition from Richmond County Board ...