Punished for her beliefs

We're not sure why political views play into the Miss USA pageant anyway. Why do beauty pageants feel the need to prove they're not about looks?

If that's the case, why don't a few Susan Boyles win?

But this is the course the pageants have taken -- and now it appears the Miss USA pageant has crossed yet another line by declaring some political (and religious) views to be incorrect. And that holders of those views are essentially disqualified.

It's clear from the reactions and writings of the pageant's judges that runner-up Miss California, Carrie Prejean, lost any chance of being crowned Miss USA when she answered a question about gay marriage by saying she opposed it.

"If I could have made her 51st runner-up, I would have," writes judge Alicia Jacobs in her blog. "As she continued to speak, I saw the crown move further and further away from her. When she finished, she looked strangely proud for a moment. Personally, I was stunned on several levels."

Jacobs goes on to wonder: Why didn't Miss California tailor her answer to the judges, when she knew they were pro-gay marriage?

Wow. We're stunned on several levels.

First, that a judge would actually suggest a contestant say what the judges want to hear, not what she really believes.

Second, that there is a "right" and a "wrong" answer to a question that involves a deeply personal matter of conscience.

There is no right or wrong answer to that query. It is a question of purely personal and spiritual conviction. For someone to be judged "incorrect" on such a matter is Orwellian, shocking and dangerous. It's an intellectual and ideological witch hunt.

Prejean says she thought it was more important to be biblically correct than politically correct, and that she doesn't regret her answer. "I was true to myself."

Good for her. But obviously, that can cost you dearly in today's society.

Carrie Prejean wasn't judged for her beauty and talent. She was arrested, tried and convicted by the far-left Thought Police.

How sad and frightening.

georgiastoryteller
georgiastoryteller 04/23/09 - 08:53 am
Leave a comment for Ms.

Leave a comment for Ms. Jacobs here--you can read her blog and totally gag at her "political correctness."

georgiastoryteller
georgiastoryteller 04/23/09 - 08:55 am
Thank you, Talkatoast. If

Thank you, Talkatoast. If you read his blog, the majority seem to disagree with his opinions! How interesting. He can dish it but he can't seem to take it. What a jerk.

cparker
cparker 04/23/09 - 09:08 am
The pageant has become an

The pageant has become an immorality nightmare!! I applaud Miss California for admitting she accepts marriage the way God intended. Two things that are dear to me are: Consider the cause of the poor & maintaining the sanctity of marriage as God intended. I hate watching believers get run over with social acceptance of gay marriage as though God approves of it. America seems to be ready to ask God to come and get on his knees and apologize for destroying Sodom & Gomorrah.

soldout
soldout 04/23/09 - 09:13 am
Carrie made God proud. He

Carrie made God proud. He says if you are ashame of me on earth I will be ashame of you in heaven. Everyone realizes being gay is a choice as all sexual activity is. No one accidentally has sex. The reason there seems to more doing the gay sin today is because of the soy in so many products. If you want your little boys to grow to be men drop all the soy. If you think you are gay drop the soy and watch what happens. God would have never called something a sin and then made you where you had to do the sin. Those who think that know nothing about the nature of God.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/23/09 - 09:23 am
eel, again, I seem to type

eel, again, I seem to type too fast. I'll try this in a more simple mode. Unintended consequences are the result of actions. The larger the person or organization taking the action, the more likely the unintended consequences are to take place. Having a far left fringe socialist as the leader of the free world leads to every nut job in the country coming out of the woodwork to claim credence. Sorry if the truth hurts. Your perverse extrapolations cry out for replies.

soldout
soldout 04/23/09 - 09:23 am
By the way those who don't

By the way those who don't know or don't speak the truth can always be known by their name calling. Lies don't upset others; only the truth. The volume of comments to any article indicates the level of truth in it. The more truth written the more upsetting to those who follow the principles of satan and the more they scream and call names.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 04/23/09 - 09:24 am
We will see who is going to

We will see who is going to support the Miss USA pageant next year. I wonder what sponsors they will obtain?

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/23/09 - 09:25 am
eel, just curious, your

eel, just curious, your points notwithstanding, how do you feel about Ms California losing because of her religious beliefs? Are you not bothered by the fact that she was asked that question specifically because Hilton knew she attended Bible college and what her probably response would be? I agree the "Pageant" should be able to have whatever rules they want. But, shouldn't they advise people that contestants with, for the lack of a better word, conservative values, need not compete?

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 04/23/09 - 09:53 am
You don't think politics

You don't think politics belong in the pageant willi? Yet your willing to accept that this person was disqaulified by judges for exercising her right to free speech. For espousing what she believes in as long as it isn't opposite what you believe in. You lefties always talk about tolerance but are the first to punish someone for not believeing in what you believe in. I'm surprised as a person that touts "misogynism" here on a regular basis that you haven't railed against beauty pageants as a whole. Your responses are so typical of public education brain washing. It would be comical if it wasn't so sad.

KSL
KSL 04/23/09 - 09:53 am
I'm not at all impressed with

I'm not at all impressed with eel. She is impressed enough with herself.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 04/23/09 - 09:54 am
Looking at EEL's post about

Looking at EEL's post about the Editor, I thought I saw where a new Editor had been hired by the AC? Mebbe EEL just has a sweet spot for MR???

hurlyburly11
hurlyburly11 04/23/09 - 09:54 am
who really gives a flying

who really gives a flying fig..........I am proud that Miss Ca. spoke her truth and if the judges didn't like it tough..she got her point out on National TV...she did what she was supposed to do...show how the people of CA feel about gay marriage...job well done Miss CA!

Rose
Rose 04/23/09 - 09:58 am
President Obama also believes

President Obama also believes that marriage is between a man and a woman.

sjgraci
sjgraci 04/23/09 - 10:11 am
Just another beauty queen

Just another beauty queen idiot on stage like Sarah Palin. Both lost for the same reason. America has rejected their bigoted beliefs. Continue to espouse those beliefs, continue to expose your ignorance and intolerance, continue to lose.

Rose
Rose 04/23/09 - 10:14 am
Miss California was right to

Miss California was right to answer the question the way she did. She expressed her opinion. She told the truth, and without slamming those who disagree.

toldya
toldya 04/23/09 - 10:23 am
I think it was an

I think it was an inappropriate question to ask in a pageant. Only if she were running for political office, it is an appropriate question.

bdittle
bdittle 04/23/09 - 10:24 am
You guys are missing the real

You guys are missing the real point here... and it is a capitalist dream! Donald Trump is making a ton of money off this publicity!

HotFoot
HotFoot 04/23/09 - 10:25 am
eel, what you say makes

eel, what you say makes perfect sense...which is why PT employs his usual shtick about typing moooorrrrre sloooowly so you can comprehend. In any case, you're right, he's wrong, and I'm so done with this comments section (yeah, yeah, I'm sure all you reactionaries are weeping at my departure). I've finally realized that reading all you goobers' f-wad opinions is giving me a jaundiced view of this place. And the few posters who make sense (eel, TechLover, shivas, RetiredArmy, Cain, and some others) cannot compensate.

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 04/23/09 - 10:27 am
Once again someone that

Once again someone that preaches tolerance and then bashes everyone that doesn't agree...nope you won't be missed...

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 04/23/09 - 11:05 am
Go back to the Midwest I'm

Go back to the Midwest I'm sure they will love you there. Anyways I think she new what she was doing. Ms CA was not a ignorant women. She stood for what she believed and faced the consequences in my mind she won. She didn't compromise her beliefs and she will be rewarded for it. Think of how much money churches are going to pay her to come speak and give her testimony to other Christians. She is going to be a folk hero. She is going to have a great career.

blueshetladdog
blueshetladdog 04/23/09 - 11:10 am
sjgrici,I hardly know where

sjgrici,I hardly know where to begin.Sarah Palin and Miss California are very intelligent women.They hold different values than you that's all. Both lost because of people's bigotry and ignorance-that's the only reason.I think the majority of americans are against gay marriage and God certainly is. I admire both women for standing up for what is morally correct.. Just because you win doesn't mean you are right. You are the bigot.

freedombelle
freedombelle 04/23/09 - 11:25 am
na na na na, na na na na,

na na na na, na na na na, hey hey, goodbye....mwt !!!!

blahahh42
blahahh42 04/23/09 - 11:52 am
I agree that the question

I agree that the question shouldn't even have been said! Specially in a "Beauty Pagent" of all events! They asked her opinion on the matter so her answer shouldn't have affected her winning or losing the pagent. That was just ignorant, Freedom of Speech Is Freedom of speech PEOPLE!!!

disssman
disssman 04/23/09 - 12:03 pm
Why do they call it the Miss

Why do they call it the Miss USA pageant anyway? Isn't it owned by Trump, lock stock and barrell? What part of the USA are these ladies representing, they sure don't look like anyone in my neighborhood.

Rose
Rose 04/23/09 - 12:05 pm
Miss California and Palin are

Miss California and Palin are no alike. Palin's views determined her loss. It was a political race. Miss California was not running in a political race. Her opinions should not have been an issue in the beauty contest.

jiclemens
jiclemens 04/23/09 - 12:09 pm
anyone that has to qualify

anyone that has to qualify their opinion with the phrase, "that's how I was raised" clearly isn't mature enough to form a reasoned opinion of her own. And THAT is why she lost. And for you bigoted Bubba's that carry God around in your pocket all day, God help you if you're wrong. Most people in this country may still be ignorant of the facts on gay marriage, but, no, most people in the country, and most people here in Podunk, are absolutely NOT Biblical literalist hypocrits. And the assumption that we are and to bring up this divisive topic as a lead editorial is a serious mistake by Chronicle editors. It is an insult to my intelligence and I am giving up my print subscription because of it.

MJDW
MJDW 04/23/09 - 12:20 pm

THANK YOU MISS CALIFORNIA CARRIE PREJEAN, we need more young ladies just like you.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/23/09 - 12:39 pm
Like so very many of the LGBT

Like so very many of the LGBT and Act Out crowd, Perez Hilton, a complete and total dunce, was just doing the standard go-for-the-throat kind of 'dialoging'. He also lives in the same pitiable fantasy world that most others of his persuation do. Some things just are what they are, and it doesn't matter how much you wish, rant, scream or threaten to try to make them different. You can't actually make a man into a woman or a woman into a man, even w/ an operation and hormone treatment, and any cohabitation that isn't between one man and one woman is nothing more than cohabitation, regardless of 'rights' or any name you decide to give it. It takes a man and a women to make a baby, and there is no other way to do it, even if arcane methods are employed to get around the standard method and still hook up one sperm with one ovum. That's what marriage is for, among many other things, and pretending the 'alternatives' are just as good is utter rationalization and pure nonsense, EVEN when it's necessary for a child's welbeing. Headbangers, all.

easy breezy
easy breezy 04/23/09 - 12:50 pm
After she answered she acted

After she answered she acted as if she were proud! Well so was I. I was thinking "you go girl"!!!!! Don't change your morals and standards for anyone!

imdstuf
imdstuf 04/23/09 - 01:25 pm
She was not punished. She is

She was not punished. She is making excuses for losing. Supposedly conservatives do not do this.

Augusta man sues city, sheriff officers over alleged tasing
An Augusta man who said he suffered a skull fracture after being tased in jail has filed suit against Augusta and two Richmond County sheriff's officers.