Punished for her beliefs

We're not sure why political views play into the Miss USA pageant anyway. Why do beauty pageants feel the need to prove they're not about looks?

If that's the case, why don't a few Susan Boyles win?

But this is the course the pageants have taken -- and now it appears the Miss USA pageant has crossed yet another line by declaring some political (and religious) views to be incorrect. And that holders of those views are essentially disqualified.

It's clear from the reactions and writings of the pageant's judges that runner-up Miss California, Carrie Prejean, lost any chance of being crowned Miss USA when she answered a question about gay marriage by saying she opposed it.

"If I could have made her 51st runner-up, I would have," writes judge Alicia Jacobs in her blog. "As she continued to speak, I saw the crown move further and further away from her. When she finished, she looked strangely proud for a moment. Personally, I was stunned on several levels."

Jacobs goes on to wonder: Why didn't Miss California tailor her answer to the judges, when she knew they were pro-gay marriage?

Wow. We're stunned on several levels.

First, that a judge would actually suggest a contestant say what the judges want to hear, not what she really believes.

Second, that there is a "right" and a "wrong" answer to a question that involves a deeply personal matter of conscience.

There is no right or wrong answer to that query. It is a question of purely personal and spiritual conviction. For someone to be judged "incorrect" on such a matter is Orwellian, shocking and dangerous. It's an intellectual and ideological witch hunt.

Prejean says she thought it was more important to be biblically correct than politically correct, and that she doesn't regret her answer. "I was true to myself."

Good for her. But obviously, that can cost you dearly in today's society.

Carrie Prejean wasn't judged for her beauty and talent. She was arrested, tried and convicted by the far-left Thought Police.

How sad and frightening.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 04/23/09 - 01:09 am
Politics don't belong in a

Politics don't belong in a beauty pageant. I'm glad that NC won. If Miss California would have won, I would have called for a boycott of the Miss USA pageant.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 04/23/09 - 01:11 am
I'm even more upset that the

I'm even more upset that the question was even in the beauty contest more than anything else.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/23/09 - 01:15 am
Americans always feel it's

Americans always feel it's better to be biblically correct than politically correct. Lefties feel the opposite. If you're going to join the pageant circuit, learn to lie with conviction or don't plan on winning.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 04/23/09 - 01:15 am
And a newsflash to the

And a newsflash to the homophobes such as those working in this newspaper's editorial staff, WE DO NOT LIVE in a nation in which we can choose. We can't choose who gets rights and who don't. If you're for equality, then you would support LGBT marriage. Homophobes such as those on this newspaper's editorial staff and Miss CA are the main reason why LGBT people are being murdered in this country and the killers are allowed to get away with it.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/23/09 - 01:30 am
Heterophobes are gross.

Heterophobes are gross.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 04/23/09 - 02:45 am
1. It was politically

1. It was politically motivated to punish her for her beliefs
2. Willtown ISN'T even remotely powerful enough to request and get a boycott of anything. People of her stature who fee that way are purely a legend in their own, for lack of a better word, mind.
3. Call it what you want to be politically correct, it is not gay, it is queer.

wcr250
wcr250 04/23/09 - 02:52 am
I say lets run all the

I say lets run all the Liberals out of this country
and then they can all continue on thier way to hell

GaMedic
GaMedic 04/23/09 - 03:47 am
It never ceases to amaze me

It never ceases to amaze me that liberals, such as those who support LGBT causes, consider themselves so tolerant and open-minded...to any opinion that reflects their own!! If one doesn't carry the same banners, look out for the stones that are labeled "bigot," "right-wing nut" etc to be hurled in one's direction. Miss CA didn't indicate she hated anyone, she expressed her right to free speech as United States citizen. I agree with her view but if willistontownsc's constitutionally-ensured freedoms (along w/ Ms. Jacobs') were threatened, I would march on town hall to protect them! And as a Christian, I love them no matter what their opinions. Shame on Ms. Jacobs for abusing her position just as those who would prevent gay contestants from entering the pageants! Watch out willistontownsc and Ms. Jacobs, your double-standards are showing!

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 04/23/09 - 03:55 am
Homophobe........ One who

Homophobe........ One who FEARS homosexuality. Why is it considered a FEAR of homosexuality if you don't believe it is right? Why does willistontown even CARE about beauty pageants when they are misogynistic? Why does the left insist on tolerance for other's beliefs.....unless they disagree with those beliefs?

fred1217
fred1217 04/23/09 - 04:44 am
Patricia Thomas, seems like

Patricia Thomas, seems like it was just the other day that you were being politically correct and defending those who were torturing people and calling it "enhanced interrogation techniques". Where's the fair and balance here? Doe this mean you're a "lefty"?

bone
bone 04/23/09 - 04:59 am
willistown, you are the

willistown, you are the master of irony: no politics in a beauty pageant, but you'd boycott an event based on...politics. LOL. anyway, this is a fine demonstration of PC bias: if you're not for a liberal social agenda, you are demonized as being "too Christian" or (worse) "republican." personally, i think each state should just go ahead and have an up-or-down vote for same sex marriage and be done with this whole debate (for the record, my vote would be to allow anyone to marry - let the church be the final arbiter of morality, not pinhead politicians who hide their indiscretions).

jaschild
jaschild 04/23/09 - 05:07 am
what a 'great' example of

what a 'great' example of 'americanism' and something for our children to model. ...crucifying someone for their beliefs.

dhd1108
dhd1108 04/23/09 - 05:42 am
these beauty pageants just

these beauty pageants just make me want to vomit. oh man, my own little emetic. now i too can be bulemic!

shivas
shivas 04/23/09 - 05:49 am
She just illustrates the

She just illustrates the stereotype of stupid beauty queen. That could also explain the views of patriciathomas.

Junket831
Junket831 04/23/09 - 06:11 am
The question has no place in

The question has no place in a public setting. It's akin to asking about her personal feelings on any politically hot topic. It was designed to weed out any non-believer in specific cause. Hey, why not just ask contestants to state their faith or affiliation. All those who believe in Jesus will be scored one way, those who believe differently will be scored one way and those that don't believe in anything will be judged separately from the others. At least she answered honestly and stood by her beliefs. But that doesn't count for anything because she won't drink the kool-aid. This issue is not one of biblically correct vs. politically correct. There are many people who object to the concept of gay "marriage" purely on principle and not necessarily based on scripture. Divisive issues like this tear at the fabric of our civilization. If change is brought about too quickly, without a general concensus for change, the structure that holds us together as a civilized society crumbles.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 04/23/09 - 06:17 am
This goes to prove that in my

This goes to prove that in my previous postings that, Progressives are anti Christian hate mongers . Everyone has the right to chose how they want too live their lives, as long as they don't infringe on the civil rights of others. Under our constitution its up to the states to decided weather or not to to allow or outlaw gay marriage or even recognize gay marriage. Bible believing Christians cannot support gay marriage, because it is against our beliefs to do so. Christians are taught to love thy Neighbor, and even those who hate us. That does not mean we have to approve of ones life style or be forced to change or beliefs to benefit others. So my point is that progressive liberals are hypocrites and they do not promote tolerance for all, just who they chose. To call someone homophobic because they will not change their beliefs is outrageous and goes to show that the movement to demonize Christians is in the populist movement supported by BARRY.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/23/09 - 06:20 am
fred, I read you and shivas

fred, I read you and shivas and feel that is torture, yet I defend your right to write. That should prove I'm not a lefty.

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/23/09 - 06:21 am
Didnt the folks in Cali vote

Didnt the folks in Cali vote on a gay marriage amendment? And didnt they vote in DOWN? What this woman said is representative of the majority NOT the minority.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 04/23/09 - 06:30 am
If someone wants to live an

If someone wants to live an alternative lifestyle, that is their business. I don't support it, but I am not going to condemn them for living like they want to. On the same hand, they should not be able to force their views on a public that does not support their lifestyle. God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/23/09 - 06:43 am
If Ms. California needs any

If Ms. California needs any comfort..............

justus4
justus4 04/23/09 - 06:53 am
Ha! Ha! "that there is a

Ha! Ha! "that there is a "right" and a "wrong" answer" to a question is common and everyone knows it. For example: A minority walks into the front office and asks, "why aren't there any minorities here?" the non-minority will say, "we've been looking very hard: None have met the qualifications/certification: There is one but he/she is out today" all not quite true. The truthful answer: "We don't want any working here and will not be forced by government to hire any" is callous, rude, and possibly violates some law. Another example is about gender where firefighters must carry 85lbs (gear) over a 8ft wall, but it's almost impossible for a woman to complete that task. No man can say aloud, "those women cannot do this job" without being in hot water or fired. So yes, there are consequences for statements that offend individual groups and to not understand that fact, is to not understand society's norms and having respect for each other.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/23/09 - 06:57 am
Sorry, my wife walked by.

Sorry, my wife walked by. Anyway, if Ms California needs any comfort I would be happy to volunteer.

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/23/09 - 07:00 am
justus4, WHAT?

justus4, WHAT?

dhd1108
dhd1108 04/23/09 - 07:09 am
shag, trying to understand

shag, trying to understand justus4's inane ramblings will only leave you with a headache.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/23/09 - 07:13 am
Willistontownsc is a he, not

Willistontownsc is a he, not a she.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/23/09 - 07:17 am
Ms. California just rose

Ms. California just rose above the entire pageant in my estimation. I used to have nearly zero respect for the young women that entered those events. She just got 100% of my respect. She is a real winner where it matters, her judges don't have a clue about true beauty.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 04/23/09 - 07:23 am
It amazes me just how

It amazes me just how dishonest Mike ("Oh puleeeze) Ryan can be in his AC editorials. "Orwellian"????? Ryan knows better. George Orwell wrote about mind control by GOVERNMENT with the power to enforce its views of political correctness. "Orwellian" has NOTHING to do with the views, politically correct or incorrect, of PRIVATE organizations. The Miss USA pageant is a private corporation (owned by Donald Trump) and can enforce pretty much whatever opinions it wants to. The government / private distinction here is critical. All you conservatives out there falling in lockstep behind the ACES's moronic editorial, please remember how you defended the Boy Scouts as a private organization when it enforced its anti-gay views, and the Augusta National as a private group when it enforced its anti-female membership policy. The Miss USA pageant corporation is no different.
You can't support the "rights" of the Boy Scouts and the National, and criticize Miss USA, and be consistent!

godogs
godogs 04/23/09 - 07:27 am
I for one am glad Ms.

I for one am glad Ms. California stood for her personal views and didn't wavor in her answer knowing that it could have cost her the crown. I think it was very unfair to put her in that position of answering such a question, however, she did and did so with dignity. Until we the so-called right start standing up for what we believe is right and quit altering our God given right of opinion, then we will continually be controlled by the left. I don't want to live in a country where I am told how I should believe and be judged on such. I believe in God's word that he created a female companion for the male he first created. That is good enough for me and all I need. It doesn't matter to me what this judge or anyone else says, because the ultimate judge will not be man and I have to account for what I do and say. I don't want to be looked upon as a lying Judus when put on the spot. When you deny God's word then you deny God.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 04/23/09 - 07:39 am
Yes a private organization

Yes a private organization can include and exclude who they like. The Boyscouts lost allot of political support in the inner cities where they are most needed. They lost the use to public buildings etc.. Its a shame because the scouts have a good program for stewardship. Who would send a girl scout to go camping with a man. Just like who would send a Boyscout to going camping with a gay man. I would do neither. The Nationals well they have their own money and can do as they wish. So when a private organization takes a political stance then it will also have to take the ramifications that comes along with it.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/23/09 - 07:48 am
eel, your perverse

eel, your perverse perspective is just that. Just because the BSA didn't take a pro-homo stance, (like the Girl Scouts did) and just because the Augusta National didn't change their private club requirements because of the opinion of some gay feminazi doesn't mean either expressed anti-gay views. Currently, with our ultra-left federal government is place, the fringe groups (including gays) are "acting up" and getting news coverage from the voice of the left. Unintended consequences may be the result, but Orwellian practices are the cause. Watch the news, you'll see much more.