All humility and no pride?

We understand he's reaching out. We understand he wants to soften America's image and show the world he can listen. And we support that.

But why didn't President Obama defend his country even just a little at the Summit of the Americas, in the face of a torrent of abuse from Latin American despots and leftists who make a living out of making the United States into the devil?

Nicaraguan leader Daniel Ortega trashed America for nearly an hour. Not a peep out of our president.

At least argue the point!

We fear Mr. Obama's gentility and lack of gumption will be viewed as naivete at best, weakness - or, at worst, tacit agreement.

Has it never occurred to Mr. Obama that the countries that seem to hate the United States the most have some of the worst records on freedom and human rights? Or does he just accept all criticism of America as valid, regardless of the source?

Or worse - does he agree with it?

Probably no one in history has said worse things about the United States more often than Hugo Chavez, yet Obama treated him like an old friend. And reports indicate Chavez is already using the warm meeting with Obama to legitimize his own despotic rule in Venezuela.

What Mr. Obama doesn't seem to realize is that some leaders don't hate us because we deserve to be hated, but because it behooves them to make us the enemy.

"President Chavez's whole foreign policy is predicated on challenging U.S. leadership," Jennifer McCoy, director of the Carter Center's Americas Program, acknowledged to reporters.

"I think most political advisers would tell the president, you know, it's fine to shake hands - hold the smiles," said CNN commentator David Gergen.

We hope the president's charm offensive pays off. But we fear he's too caught up in being liked rather than respected.

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/21/09 - 10:20 am
The mess with Katrina lays at

The mess with Katrina lays at the feet of the local and state govt AND the people.

toldya 04/21/09 - 10:26 am
Ok- so what did Bush do

Ok- so what did Bush do exactly to "clean it up"? lets see- he flew overhead to see the people trapped in waist high water walking to a stadium through floating dead bodies. Thank God Bush was there, it could have turned out so much worse (my eyes are rolling out of my head) Once Bush saw the the local gov't. was ill prepared, that when the CIC steps in. yeah- right, Mr. georgie on the spot.

pthsssh
pthsssh 04/21/09 - 10:38 am
Hypo - You are of course

Hypo - You are of course correct, Sir. Here is a quote from PresBo - "I have sworn that we're taking out the bowling alley in the White House and we're putting in a basketball court". I realize all too well that just because he promises something, it doesn't mean he will actually do it.

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/21/09 - 10:46 am
so toldya, are you saying

so toldya, are you saying that the democratic governor did her job? I am not saying Bush did a good job or a bad job. I am not of the opinion that people should wait around on the federal govt to "save" them. A good example of the difference in mentality is Fargo, ND. 3000 volunteers worked around the clock for days to build up the levees to save thier homes. I do not recall reading about looting and crimes being committed in the middle of their crisis. If I were told to evacuate or face possible death, I would evacuate. How about you? Or, would you press your luck and then complain about the accomodations?

toldya 04/21/09 - 10:50 am
Two different planets dear-

Two different planets dear- one case scenario- the hurricane hit- the other they were preparing for it. Once the damage was done and if Bush could see that the governor and mayor were in over their heads (pun is intentiional) then he should've stepped in. He did not. He NEVER did anything more than what he HAD to. terrible attitude no matter what your job is, on any level. He is far from a "quick thinker"

toldya 04/21/09 - 10:52 am
P.S. how could they exacuate

P.S. how could they exacuate AFTER the levees broke, and what about the transit system- you would THINK that people would have had access to buses. The to add yet another insult to injury- the FEMA trailers were toxic. Yeah- he was one of the great ones alright.

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/21/09 - 11:24 am
toldya, I am simply trying to

toldya, I am simply trying to place resonsibility where it belongs. There was plenty of notice to evacuate. ALOT of people did. For the people that were elderly and not able to leave without assistance, that falls on the local and state govt. For those that decided to stay, I guess it did not turn out how they expected but they need to look in the mirror if it became uncomfortable for them. If the mess is still not cleaned up, again the people need to look around at their elected officials and ask why. There should have been an emergency evacuation plan. Again, that falls on LOCAL and STATE govt.

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/21/09 - 11:41 am
maybe if you were not so

maybe if you were not so blinded by your hatred for Bush, you could see things more clearly.

GGpap
GGpap 04/21/09 - 11:43 am
I would prefer to view the

I would prefer to view the President's behavior in the face of deliberate and insulting PROVOCATION on an international stage as an act of supreme tact and diplomacy. The meaningful measure of how our government responds to the taunts thrown by despots will be seen in how the Obama administration deals, politically and commercially, with the countries they (Chaves, Ortega, etal) govern. GGpap

GGpap
GGpap 04/21/09 - 12:04 pm
A good example of the

A good example of the uselessness in responding to provocation, insults and slurs in like manner can be seen daily on these threads. Showing ones "testicles" only proves the gender of the exhibitionist; it does not serve as a measure of the exhibitionist's strength or intelligence. Of course, the lack of "testicles" could also indicate that some of the posters here would NEVER be in favor of electing a female to a position of leadership in our government. GGpap

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/21/09 - 12:17 pm
GGap, you're right. That was

GGap, you're right. That was seriously on display during the last election. The way Sarah Palin was treated was disgraceful.

TheShep
TheShep 04/21/09 - 12:31 pm
Does wizzard ever say

Does wizzard ever say anything else? He's not a Muslim get over it.

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/21/09 - 12:45 pm
GGap, are you referring to

GGap, are you referring to your own provocation, insults and slurs? I just went back and read some of your posts and WOW! Or maybe you were "showing your testicles". I am not sure how to take your post.

toldya 04/21/09 - 12:46 pm
I don't hate bush- I voted

I don't hate bush- I voted for for first time around- i got VERY disenchanted with his actions and/or lack of action. He's the Commander in Chief at it is HIS place to ensure the safety of America, whether it be a foreign threat, domestic threat or natural disaster. Maybe if you didn't love him so much, youwouldn't be blinded. i call it as I see it. He was a loser with only a dollar sign making him look in the direction he wants.

toldya 04/21/09 - 12:48 pm
Sara Palin is a disgrace- a

Sara Palin is a disgrace- a hypocritical disgrace as a matter of fact.

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/21/09 - 12:53 pm
I am conservative. Bush was

I am conservative. Bush was NOT conservative. You should have loved him. Why is Sara Palin a disgrace? Because her teenage daughter got pregnant? Clarify.

toldya 04/21/09 - 12:57 pm
When she was pregnant with a

When she was pregnant with a down's syndrome child, she openly admits that she considered getting an abortion PRIOR to letting her husband know she was pregnant (even though she is "pro-life"). TALKED & TALKED about abstinence, but failed her own child by not talking to HER. She is an airhead, go look at the interview w/ katie couric, it not like it isn't obvious. She didn't even know what the Bush doctrine was, yeah, keep picking idiots, that will insure a dems running the white house for a while- nothing like picking the worst of the crop to represent your party!

toldya 04/21/09 - 12:59 pm
why would you think I loved

why would you think I loved bush? because he was not conservative- how do you determine that I am or am not liberal or conservative. You need to shine up that crystal ball.

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/21/09 - 01:12 pm
I did not hear about her

I did not hear about her considering an abortion. That is her business, not mine. You must not have children. I would never judge someone by the actions of their teenager. I hope that no one judges me for mine! As far as Katie Couric, I do not take her seriously as a journalist and I did not watch her interview. I am not sure ANYONE knows what the Bush Doctrine is and I did not pick Palin. I believe it was John McCain that picked her. I did not pick him either for that matter. It really is funny how these elections turn out. I have to believe that the people that get elected are NOT the best this country has to offer, just the ones with the most money.
I assumed you were liberal because you sound as though you are more in favor of govt taking care of things rather than personal responsibilty. If you are not, I stand corrected.

elliottness
elliottness 04/21/09 - 01:15 pm
toldya, you forgot to mention

toldya, you forgot to mention that after bush flew over he headed to mcseniles birthday party in arizona.they ate cake while n.o crumbled. after the party he went to ca to watch a baseball game.hollywood celebrities came and donated what was needed while retard was conferring with brownie.where was cheney? in wyoming fishing awaiting the arrival of his test tube grandchild.look it up .

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/21/09 - 01:20 pm
toldya, that's all bull. You

toldya, that's all bull. You just didn't vote for her because she is a woman. That is the only reason...GGap said it well and you fit the mold.

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/21/09 - 01:36 pm
toldya, I found the article

toldya, I found the article on Sarah Palin. You should go back and read it again.

toldya 04/21/09 - 01:55 pm
shag: then you stand

shag: then you stand corrected- nice to admit, rarely seen on these boards. You asked about her being a hypocrite, i beleive I proved my point. I'm not saying she should be judged by her child, I am a parent and it is unfair to judge the parents by the childs actions or inactions- this we can agree on. BUT-Failin palin was a hypocrite for sharing the wealth of her knowledge (change purse)w/ the US but not talk to her kid. Bush Doctrine is pretty much an unknown to us citizens, but you would THINK that this woman, running for VP, would have an IDEA about it. Whether couric is a biased journalist or not- makes no differnece if you can't answer the questions, that is not being biased- she proved herself without the help of couric or for that fact Russia. I don't know how you can defend someone/or the interview without actually seeing it. I beleive it is the gov't's RESPONSIBILITY to care for its citizens, the ones who cannot or unable to take care of themselves; children, disabled, elderly and veterans. Conservative or not- thats the way I feel about it. If you lost your job and couldn't find another one, I for one would be proud that you took the money that I helped chip in for.

toldya 04/21/09 - 01:58 pm
facts: get your facts

facts: get your facts straight- with the choices we had- i would have voted for an elephant. The fact that palin is a woman makes not a difference to me. She has no substance, no seriousness to her. I saw the interview, i was embarassed for her, she was too stupid to even be embarassed. Mccain had her run with him on the hopes that the women that were going to vote for Hillary would vote for any woman, even is she was an idiot.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/21/09 - 02:01 pm
Not buying it. You hate

Not buying it. You hate women.

toldya 04/21/09 - 02:12 pm
facts;I love love love women.

facts;I love love love women. i think they are underrated, underestimated, and disrespected. I am a stand up man for women. But I won't vote for ANYONE using or depending on their gender as the way to get ahead, man or woman.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/21/09 - 02:15 pm
I believe you. Now you know

I believe you. Now you know how it feels to be called a racist every time you criticize Obama.

Ken
Ken 04/21/09 - 02:17 pm
Obama has turned this Nation

Obama has turned this Nation into a bunch of bleeding heart Liberal wimps. His politics is clear and his attempt to reach over the isle is only to choke the necks of his conservative counterparts. This is about as tough as this wimp of a president will get. I can see the resentment building among the fence sitters and now they will lean back to the right. This clown is making a mockery of our foreign toughness by wimping out to our enemies and the Nations that could care less about us along as we buy their wine, cheese, oil and contaminated building products. We as conservatives need to build a stronger hedge against this type of political meltdown of our perceived military strength now being one of follow not lead. The old south will be the catalyst for this movement and the people who denounced this inexperienced leftwing, Teddy Kennedy, Jimmy Carter wanna-be will get their way in 2012. This bunch of nincompoops makes it easy everyday they pass policy.

toldya 04/21/09 - 02:18 pm
Never called you or anyone a

Never called you or anyone a racist re: O'Bama. O'Bama will do okay if given the opportunity, without the mass hysteria on how he shook hands.

toldya 04/21/09 - 02:22 pm
Ken: remmeber the Civil war-

Ken: remmeber the Civil war- remember who lost and why?Unprepared, undermanned and unequipped- and you are going to DEPEND on the South? Bahwahwahwah