It's time to take our country back

On April 15, for the first time in my 62 years, I attended a "Tea Party" to show my concern over taxes in this country now and in the future.

I was only one of more than 2,000 who showed up at the Jessye Norman Amphitheater at Riverwalk Augusta. Present at this rally were the very young and the very old; business people and folks out of work; Democrats and Republicans; veterans and wounded warriors; housewives and women working outside the family home; the wealthy and the poor.

They all had the same purpose and drive: to serve notice on this current crop of politicians that "we the people" have reached the breaking point, and that "we the people" are going to see that things change concerning our hard-earned money, or we will change it for them.

These arrogant, conceited and corrupt politicians have stolen the financial futures of our children and their children. They have neither the ethical nor the moral right to do what they have done. "We the people" have now served notice all across America -- my America and your America.

We must now stand together and keep the pressure on this sorry lot until we can throw them out of office next year, and that is what we need to do! We the people need to send a message. The message should be that we will no longer react to what you say; we will react to what you do!

We need to take the word "professional" out of the political realm. If they won't vote in term limits, then we should enforce them through the ballot box! No more professional politicians! No favorites; no turf-guarding. Just vote them out after a couple terms -- all of them!

Let's take our government back! On April 15, I saw my America, and I was proud!

Rick Tuchscherer

Harlem

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/18/09 - 11:31 am
Where to start, midwest?

Where to start, midwest? Marxism and the philosophies spouted by Hitler in 1933 were very similar. (when did you study history? before the fall of the public school system or after?) Next, if your parents were honorable and involved with your education, what happened? Did you not believe them? Are you really a slow learner? Secessionists? Do you mean the Civil War or are you speaking CNNeese?

HotFoot
HotFoot 04/18/09 - 11:44 am
Oh, enough with this

Oh, enough with this ludicrous baiting you engage in, PT. My history education (and the rest of my education, for that matter) is quite sufficient. Let's just stipulate to the fact that we utterly disagree with and loathe each other, okeydoke? OK.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/18/09 - 11:56 am
I support your right to be as

I support your right to be as wrong as you wish to be midwest. I would not condone the same for my children. I care.

Bumm
Bumm 04/18/09 - 12:16 pm
I do not have an Economics

I do not have an Economics Degree but, the latest bail out bill is not creating a stronger economy by giving money to these huge, companies that have been screwing up and taking millions in bonuses for themselves. People are still losing their homes and jobs and are having trouble paying their bills and even buying food. With the latest Stimulus Package they could have given every working man and woman 21 yrs and older 1 quarter million dollars. they would pay taxes, the IRS wins. Pay off their mortgage, vehicles, Back-taxes and loans. They will be buying things. If you don't buy, companies can't make what they do, so of course they go out of business and more hard working Americans lose jobs. To create jobs there must be a demand for the products. No demands means lost Jobs and companies cutting their work-force. I think you can get the jest of what I am trying to say.

apex24
apex24 04/18/09 - 12:26 pm
Cparker, how can you agree

Cparker, how can you agree with Obama's tax plan when only 50% of working people will be paying all the taxes and that equates to higher taxes. Leftist realize that if the lower to lower middle class people don't pay taxes that turns into Lib votes. You Libs don't understand the rich people that the Libs hate so much are the one's who keep the money moving. If they decide to pull-up you get what we've had the last six months, no money flow. You see, what the Obama administration has failed to tell you is that very soon a $50-60K salary will be considered a "rich" person with a tax rate of 45%. What will the Leftist say then!!!!

apex24
apex24 04/18/09 - 12:28 pm
Bumm, that would to easy!!!!

Bumm, that would to easy!!!!

NoPartyFan
NoPartyFan 04/18/09 - 12:50 pm
Both sides accuse each or of

Both sides accuse each or of being Hitler. To learn something about history to avoid repeating it, you need to look at the circumstances. After WW1, Germany had huge war debts and severe sanctions imposed by their European neighbors. Their economy collapsed and they began printing money because their people were in dire straits financially. Inflation went sky high. People were out of work and starving to death. Germany, a primarily white Christian nation became desperate. Communism had just taken over Russia, 10-15 years before. They blamed the Jews for their economic woes because they ran most of the banks. They blamed them for a changing culture that challenged their traditions. They blamed them for Marxism and their part in the take over of Russia. So they all got together to stamp out anyone not white and Christian. The Nazis put a representative from the Catholic clergy in charge of Croatia where 750,000 people were killed. So before you think you don't have anything in common with the Nazis, think again. There's something both sides can learn about things not to do in order to prevent another group think Nazi Germany.

NoPartyFan
NoPartyFan 04/18/09 - 12:50 pm
A few more things and then

A few more things and then I'll shut up. Massive war debts are not good. Printing money is not good. White Christian supremacy is not good. The Catholic church does not always come up with the right answer from God. Excessive Nationalism can be a bad thing. Being so afraid of Communism that you have to stamp out liberals is not a good thing. Christians are capable of genocide and that's is not very Christian.

Motorman5039
Motorman5039 04/18/09 - 01:00 pm
Yawn. "Take our country

Yawn. "Take our country back, corrupt politicians, proud american, my country, blah blah blah, so forth and so forth..."

TechLover
TechLover 04/18/09 - 01:20 pm
PT" I thought you were

PT" I thought you were against "redistributing" tax dollars. If your tax dollars go to private schools I guess they should go to folks who want private roads, private security peronnel, private clubs , etc. You closet socialist you.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/18/09 - 02:06 pm
TechLover, are you stealing

TechLover, are you stealing supplies from work? Schools, not government schools, schools that educate, not indoctrinate. Are all schools not government schools private schools to you? I'd much rather have my tax dollars go to vouchers. Those that want the government education should have that choice. Those that wish a different education, should have that opportunity. My primary stipulation is that minimum levels of the basics be met. That doesn't always happen in government schools. What does private security(?) or private clubs have to do with tax money?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/18/09 - 02:09 pm
NoPartyFan, you missed my

NoPartyFan, you missed my point if you think I accused O of being Hitler. My posts merely pointed out that O's beginning and O's followers are parallel to Hitler's beginning and Hitler's followers. I can't imagine O deteriorating to the level of barbarism that Hitler did. Of course, I can see much of his cabinet that would. I DO feel O has never seen a social subsidy project he didn't like and he feels that the solution to all of Americas problems begin with government. This horrible experiment will be tough on America.

Ode to Augusta
Ode to Augusta 04/18/09 - 02:09 pm
Some of you clowns like

Some of you clowns like cparker just don't get it. It isn't a republican vs democrat thing. Goerge Bush and the republican congress from 2001-2006 were fiscally irresponsible. They refused to cut any of the wasteful spending that has been building up for decades and our country's debt grew astronomically. Now Obama and the democratic congress have taken these fiscally irresponsible policies and plan to triple our debt all the while federal tax revenue will plummet this year due to the rise in unemployment and decline in corporate income. THE AMOUNT OF SPENDING IS UNSUSTAINABLE. So all you politically and racially charged morons try to educate yourselves.

mad_max
mad_max 04/18/09 - 02:09 pm
justus4.....more drivel from

justus4.....more drivel from your self loathing racist self. Again trying to put a KKK spin on every issue. This has nothing to do with racism or even the GOP. Many of the protesters actually voted for BHO because of his positive speeches but now they find that all of the bad publicity, you know; muslim, anti-American, socialist/marxist/facist, tax and spend, was all true. Now they are saying OMG, what have we done! The protests were legitimate and I believe you will see more and more of them until your boy imposes martial law because of the "threat" we pose to the facist Democrats in the 2010 election. Remember, the '08 election was not a vote for Obama, and it was not really a vote against the traditional valuses of the GOP. It was a vote against Bush and the economy and against the GOP in the sense that they had betryed their traditional values like fiscal responsibilty and less intrusive government.....values that Obama claimed to support. But Obama does not support those values and he has made that readily apparent in the first 90 days. The protests were not JUST about taxes and the protesters were not JUST republicans regardless of what the Communist News Network says.

confederatelady319
confederatelady319 04/18/09 - 02:36 pm
midwestern-how is your little

midwestern-how is your little liberal girls foot,that the bad bad people stepped on.they could tell her little liberal a-- the truth that would have hurt her more.

HotFoot
HotFoot 04/18/09 - 02:58 pm
dbs, you're such a charmer.

dbs, you're such a charmer. My "little" liberal girl could have kicked any of their [filtered word]es, both physically and intellectually. But thanks for your concern.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 04/18/09 - 03:33 pm
Yes, 43% of people(

Yes, 43% of people( households) pay no taxes because they don't earn enough..Most of these people are young who are just starting out.

GGpap
GGpap 04/18/09 - 03:46 pm
Ken, 10:29 am, you may be

Ken, 10:29 am, you may be correct, however, the last time I heard, Georgia failed in its attempt to secede. Therefore, we are a nation of 50 states and I say again, "we the people" voted this government in office, sir. And I say this even though I voted for the other guy. GGpap (Mr.)

confederatelady319
confederatelady319 04/18/09 - 04:18 pm
midwestern-my family has

midwestern-my family has fought and died for this country and i'm sure some of your family has to.but i will bet they aren't like you with this anti-american liberal crap.we will be smashing you and yours like a big old fat bug.we are locked and loaded and ready to take our country back from the likes of you and your kind.

HotFoot
HotFoot 04/18/09 - 04:38 pm
You're psychotic, dbs319.

You're psychotic, dbs319. Seriously. I am a patriotic American. I support a strong military and defense spending and I am in no way a pacifist. "Your" kind had the country for 8 years and it went down the tubes in just about every conceivable way. Obama did not create the current tax code and he has not increased taxes. His increased spending is TO GET US OUT OF THE MESS HIS PREDECESSOR CREATED. Sounds to me as if you're looking for an excuse to "lock and load", as you say. I repeat: Get some help for that rage of yours.

confederatelady319
confederatelady319 04/18/09 - 04:42 pm
yea right from bush's 1.5

yea right from bush's 1.5 trillion to your presidents 10 trillion,you do the math.in less that 100 days.

KSL
KSL 04/18/09 - 05:40 pm
And he may not increase taxes

And he may not increase taxes other than by letting the Bush tax cuts expire. But the higher costs of energy that will be the result of his policies will increase the price of everything and it will affect everyone.

NoPartyFan
NoPartyFan 04/18/09 - 06:14 pm
Yes patriciathomas, I did

Yes patriciathomas, I did misunderstand you're intent. I did think that you were calling Obama, the next or current Hitler. While I am against some social programs, I do not think that all socialist programs are bad just bacause they fall in the category. I don't think that Obama and company are Marxist because they are socialist. Britain and many other countries that we consider our allies have socialist programs. I do think that they can be taken too far, but in the dire straits that our country is now in, we must all pull our weight as much as possible. I pay a lot of taxes and have complained mightly about it before. I don't think that this is the time to to pull money away from the government. I was not for the stimulas package, but it looks to be helping the country from going into a total meltdown. We still have a distinct possibility of going there. I blame all lot of it on hot shots in New York City, California and Texas. That where most of money goes for the greed crew. They may provide a lot of jobs but they are also guilty in my mind of taking advantage of government expenditures and lack of oversight and regulation by the government.

Ode to Augusta
Ode to Augusta 04/18/09 - 06:26 pm
NoPartyFun - no money from

NoPartyFun - no money from the stimulus package has even made it into the economy yet and very little will this year or even by the end of next year. Don't buy into that nonsense. No government can control free enterprise business and economic cycles. They are cyclic by nature and will control themselves and Keynsian economic theories that say othewise are pure myth because there isn't an example in the world to declare otherwise. Secondly you are correct by saying the government expenditures are taken advantage of by many. That is one of the very many reasons the government needs to only spend on what is necessary......national security, regulation of trade, and very little else.

NoPartyFan
NoPartyFan 04/18/09 - 07:14 pm
To Ode: I agree with some of

To Ode: I agree with some of that but business does seem to control government. The stimulus money hasn't hit the street but the tarp has hit Wall Street. The market is going back to business as usual. Goldman Sachs is reporting a billion $ profit after getting $12.9 billion from the AIG bail out money last month. Merrill Lynch was one of the biggest payers in the derivatives game. They should have gone down. Since Bank of American bought them out, there's a good change that they are not going to make it. Citigroup is filled with corruption. They're the ones who backed Enron. It just doesn't seem quite right to me, to see these companies that have been in business for 80 to 150 years, go down because of excess risk by the current generation of executives.

KSL
KSL 04/18/09 - 09:32 pm
NoParty, check out the

NoParty, check out the numerous small businesses. Well, you really can't do that can you. They are so small no stats are really kept on them. They are the real backbone of this country. They pay their taxes. Well many of them do. And they hire people, even if it's only one or two. They pay unemployment and when they tell their employee they don't need them anymore, some of their employees don't file for unemployment, they buck up and try to go to work.

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.