Where's compassion toward others?

In reply to Lida Bellmer's letter ("Revolution against liberals is brewing," April 13), Ms. Bellmer is wrong on a couple of points.

First, President Obama has not tried to break the "spirit" of America but has instead tried to revitalize the sense of pride in the United States that the last president did his best to destroy in his quest of power.

Ms. Bellmer also is wrong about a revolution brewing. There already has been a revolution. It was called the election, where more than two-thirds of the electorate spoke loudly and clearly.

I notice that Ms. Bellmer lacks compassion toward people who made bad choices in buying a home. In her last line, Ms. Bellmer states that liberals "want to give anybody something for nothing." Since Easter has just passed, I want to ask Ms. Bellmer: Did not God give you something for nothing? Did Jesus say to give compassion and mercy only to these people, and not those people? Of course not. He said to love all men as your brothers.

There is no doubt that our country is going through hard times, but if we unite as a country and forget our political differences, then we can bring back the United States, and we can do great things for our country. I'm willing to try; how about you?

I was taught not to judge people, but it seems to me that Ms. Bellmer and people like her already have judged President Obama and given up on America. Shame on you!

Jay Collett

Augusta

toldya
toldya 04/15/09 - 02:17 pm
SIGNAL: I will type slow just

SIGNAL: I will type slow just for you-WHAT ABOUT THE PUBLIC PROPERTIES & EQUIPMENT THAT WERE DEVASTATED? HELLO? Anyone in there? Apparently not- you are drilling on homeowners insurance and I am telling you-PUBLIC PROPERTY- btw really showed your chrisitan side- not my house not my problem. Special place in hell for self-centered people like you.

Signal Always
Signal Always 04/15/09 - 02:21 pm
Public property should also

Public property should also be insured, toldya. As for my "Christian" side, having the government confiscate my money to dole out to you isn't compassion, it's a filthy politician using MY money to get YOUR vote. Things like this should be left up to the private sector. When charities get donations, about 90% go to the actual cause. Government only doles out about 50%. I do NOT trust government, no matter which flavor of politician is in office.

Signal Always
Signal Always 04/15/09 - 02:23 pm
Oh, and you really show your

Oh, and you really show your "Christian" side with statements like this: "Special place in hell for self-centered people like you." Something about that in the bible as well, blues clues.

toldya
toldya 04/15/09 - 02:28 pm
I am in the same boat as

I am in the same boat as you-and its sinking- I'm looking for a bucket and you're pointing at the hole. If the local gov't insures the properties/equipment its through a federal agency. Sanford is a putz, has been always will be. FEMA is paid by your tax dollars, any problem with getting them to Katrina (oops someone forgot to call them) The gov't, gets me crazy upset about the way they handle our money and this tornado thing just rips me to think we have no fire department or truck and no governor that gives a rip. i need a drink

toldya
toldya 04/15/09 - 02:29 pm
Yes signal, He77 is for bad

Yes signal, He77 is for bad people. Hello?

Signal Always
Signal Always 04/15/09 - 02:41 pm
Your home and my home isn't

Your home and my home isn't located in the same boat. If you ask for help or donations, I'd give it to you. If you get the government to come in and CONFISCATE my money to give to you, well, your house can burn to the ground for all I care. You fail at analogies. Also, bad, good, you don't know a damn thing about me. Only you liberals can call conservatives, who many studies show are more compassionate and charitable, "bad" because they're against government confiscation of money and property. It only makes sense in the Twilight Zone....or a bad remake of 1984. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

JohnGalt
JohnGalt 04/15/09 - 03:07 pm
toldya. Aside from politics,

toldya. Aside from politics, we should be able to agree on one thing. Politicians are more likely to listen to voters the closer they are to them. Whether you love or hate your governor, you have a better shot of doing something about it than trying to affect the actions of politicians in Washington. THAT is why I want more power to the states.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 04/15/09 - 03:18 pm
The revolution started in

The revolution started in 2006 and it is still happening today. But, it ain't against the progressives -- it is against the conservatives, who have torn our country apart for much of the last 28 years. No kind of tea party can stop this revolution against the right. We will continue to speak out against conservatism and we will continue to snuff out extremism every single day.

Signal Always
Signal Always 04/15/09 - 03:21 pm
Sod off, Commie.

Sod off, Commie.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 04/15/09 - 03:26 pm
Signal me OFF.

Signal me OFF.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 04/15/09 - 03:27 pm
hey toldya. I agree with

hey toldya. I agree with you. Mark Sanford doesn't give a rat's [filtered word] about us here in SC. He has been turning his back on us basically since he took office in 2003. And now, the governor will reap what he sow because it is his stubbornness that will have us replace Michigan for the highest unemployment in the NATION. His unwillingness to accept the stimulus money may also be why the feds will not help out Aiken County like they are with Augusta-Richmond and Columbia counties. Mark Sanford STILL doesn't care about those who lost their homes in Aiken County and Sanford never will care about those who are hurting here in South Carolina. All he cares about is his potential presidential run in 2012.

toldya
toldya 04/15/09 - 03:35 pm
John: its hard to talk when

John: its hard to talk when people don't listen- take Jack for a good example. Sanford does not care about his people. it just so happens he's a repub. If he were a dem I'd say the same thing.

toldya
toldya 04/15/09 - 03:36 pm
williston: He won't win

williston: He won't win either office. Everyone knows his game- money over people. No one wins on this.

carcraft
carcraft 04/15/09 - 03:48 pm
Baa ha ha, Just in on Drudge

Baa ha ha, Just in on Drudge Report, "Sarkozy of France thinks Obama is unoriginal, unsubstantial, weak and meek. So much for the magical European tour and refurbishing America's image Ha ha ah lol

toldya
toldya 04/15/09 - 03:51 pm
happy someone is dissing your

happy someone is dissing your country?

toldya
toldya 04/15/09 - 03:51 pm
isn't THAT special

isn't THAT special

toldya
toldya 04/15/09 - 03:57 pm
P.S. france isn't all of

P.S. france isn't all of Europe either

Rose
Rose 04/15/09 - 04:30 pm
Most people these days do not

Most people these days do not have compassion toward others. To them it is all about ME. Read the comments on AC and you will see.

TechLover
TechLover 04/15/09 - 04:44 pm
signal: "I want government

signal: "I want government out of my life ENTIRELY with the exception of the regulation of interstate commerce and national defense." Does that mean you'll refuse any government pensions, Social Security, Medicare, not visit national parks or national forests, stay off federal highways, stay off Clark s Hill lake, not visit the Smithsonian, etc? Your tax dollars at work.

TechLover
TechLover 04/15/09 - 04:50 pm
plastic glass, jumbo shrimp,

plastic glass, jumbo shrimp, military intelligence, compassionate conservative.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 04/15/09 - 05:00 pm
Oh hell, why not just blame

Oh hell, why not just blame Obama for every war, every dead soldier, every economic disaster and every mistake that was ever made on this earth. And while we're at it, lets blame him for all of your mistakes too! Y'all want some cheese with that whine? The guy just can't cut a break with any of you and only because he is half black. Admit it! Talk about unpatriotic. He is your President and why aren't you backing him. We had to back Bush for eight years and call him our President. What a bunch of whinning GOP weiners! Stick it!

Rose
Rose 04/15/09 - 05:09 pm
coalminerpa I can't

coalminerpa I can't understand why the whiners don't support our President. Those last few years Bush was our President, I did not whine everyday about him. If he made a speech on tv, I just changed the channel.There was nothing I could do. He was our President, and I did not want him to fail.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 04/15/09 - 05:26 pm
coalminerpa and Rose, I agree

coalminerpa and Rose, I agree with both of you.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 04/15/09 - 05:44 pm
dims continue to be hilarious

dims continue to be hilarious as they whine about those that they say are whining.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 04/15/09 - 06:03 pm
Everyone is smart enough to

Everyone is smart enough to figure out who the whiners are on these forums. It's a real whinefest.

KSL
KSL 04/15/09 - 06:41 pm
happy someone is dissing your

happy someone is dissing your country?
Posted by toldya on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:51 PM This comment is one I could not resist. Our very own lovable POTUS has made two trips to Europe during which he dissed our country. Are you really proud of that?

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 04/15/09 - 06:43 pm
Obama didn't dis the US. You

Obama didn't dis the US. You and the rest of the racist, fascist right wing anti-American nuts dissed America for the last 29+ years!

KSL
KSL 04/15/09 - 06:45 pm
Oh yes he did, willi. He

Oh yes he did, willi. He apologized.

KSL
KSL 04/15/09 - 06:47 pm
And I'm not a racist,

And I'm not a racist, fascist, right winger. I daresay parts of my family have been in this country several hundred years longer than yours have.

KSL
KSL 04/15/09 - 06:48 pm
And I'm married to someone

And I'm married to someone who can say the same.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...