Where's compassion toward others?

In reply to Lida Bellmer's letter ("Revolution against liberals is brewing," April 13), Ms. Bellmer is wrong on a couple of points.

First, President Obama has not tried to break the "spirit" of America but has instead tried to revitalize the sense of pride in the United States that the last president did his best to destroy in his quest of power.

Ms. Bellmer also is wrong about a revolution brewing. There already has been a revolution. It was called the election, where more than two-thirds of the electorate spoke loudly and clearly.

I notice that Ms. Bellmer lacks compassion toward people who made bad choices in buying a home. In her last line, Ms. Bellmer states that liberals "want to give anybody something for nothing." Since Easter has just passed, I want to ask Ms. Bellmer: Did not God give you something for nothing? Did Jesus say to give compassion and mercy only to these people, and not those people? Of course not. He said to love all men as your brothers.

There is no doubt that our country is going through hard times, but if we unite as a country and forget our political differences, then we can bring back the United States, and we can do great things for our country. I'm willing to try; how about you?

I was taught not to judge people, but it seems to me that Ms. Bellmer and people like her already have judged President Obama and given up on America. Shame on you!

Jay Collett

Augusta

Comments (154)

carcraft
20738
carcraft 04/15/09 - 12:02 pm

Compasion is telling some one

Compasion is telling some one who earns $40,000 a year he can't afford 1 million dollar dollar house. A liberal is some one who says some one earning $40,000 per year can afford a 1 million dollar house because the liberal cares. The liberal then forces the banks to loan the person money. Then the liberal , because he cares, closes his wallet and forces some one who is rich to give the poor barrower money in the name of compassion. The person trying to keep his money is then called a hater, uncaring, not paying his fair share, unpatriotic etc. The liberal then cheats on the aount he should pay to help the poor guy and feels entitled to cheat because he is compassionate and cares!

Signal Always
Signal Always 04/15/09 - 12:06 pm

...and you idiots follow

...and you idiots follow blindly any Dem politician that promises you a pony.....while they get filthy rich. BTW, has there ever been a Democrat that left office that wasn't richer than he/she was when they entered? One day you morons are going to realize that ALL of our taxes are going to increase exponentially just to PAY for the interest on what Obama has spent or is planning on spending. Only then it'll be too damn late and I won't shed a tear for any of you fools.

carcraft
20738
carcraft 04/15/09 - 12:15 pm

Signal always, or the most

Signal always, or the most cruel tax of all will be imposded, inflation, when the government prints money to pay debt, and it hurts the poor (the ones we are supposed to have compassion for) the worst. Obama will double the national debt and you morons don't seem to care! Take another hit on the bong, no tomorrow!!

corgimom
19339
corgimom 04/15/09 - 12:29 pm

MadMax- I read the report. I

MadMax- I read the report. I read all 10 pages of it. It did not say "The Real Terrorist Threat". I also didn't see any references to abortion or people with bumper stickers. Please point those things out to me and what page it was on. It DID, however, talk about people that have issues with immigration. The whole topic of the paper was right-wing extremists and who they were most likely to recruit- like returning veterans that had trouble integrating back into their communities, and used that murdering wackaloon Timothy McVeigh as an example. Stop parroting nutcases and READ IT YOURSELF. And, by the way, the DHS issued plenty of reports about LEFT WING EXTREMISTS when GWB was president. Your whole post is just nonsense.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 04/15/09 - 12:36 pm

Don't worry - Be Happy!

Don't worry - Be Happy!

Rose
Rose 04/15/09 - 12:54 pm

The scare tactics by the

The scare tactics by the repubs is not working. We democrats are not stupid. We make our own decisions without help from right wing extremists.

JohnGalt
JohnGalt 04/15/09 - 01:01 pm

I'm getting tired of being

I'm getting tired of being called a right wing extremist. I believe in personal freedom and liberty. This means freedom to succeed or fail, freedom to own firearms, freedom to be left the hell alone and not be overburdened by extreme taxation and regulation of public and private lives. Granted, the proposed increase of taxes to Clinton levels is not catostrophic. But it won't it there because it can't. Taxes and inflation will HAVE to continue to rise to pay for the massive increases in debt and federal mandated spending. I'm not a right wing extremist for pointing out the logical outcome of current policies.

justus5
justus5 04/15/09 - 01:05 pm

The liberals on this board

The liberals on this board show so much compassion and understand of others peoples views.. ha!

Signal Always
Signal Always 04/15/09 - 01:07 pm

Rose, if you moronic Dems

Rose, if you moronic Dems were so intelligent, why can't you make it without the government's help? Many of you should have probably never left home because you essentially went from one parent to another. Then again, many of you probably should have never been born.

toldya
toldya 04/15/09 - 01:07 pm

Great letter- I hope that

Great letter- I hope that those that are not giving the President the appropriate time to unravel the plate of spaghetti that Bush left take note. Everyone deserves the chance to implement what they promised, let's give the guy some time.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 04/15/09 - 01:10 pm

The signal does not appear to

The signal does not appear to be very bright on the horizon.

Signal Always
Signal Always 04/15/09 - 01:26 pm

I would take you to school,

I would take you to school, on any subject, any day of the week, light brite. It's not me that needs the government to guide me through life and dole out money just to make it. I want government out of my life ENTIRELY with the exception of the regulation of interstate commerce and national defense. So, let's go. First subject. The Constitution and founding of nation. Who is it that more resembles the founders' thinking, me, a freedom-loving Capitalist? Or you, an oppression-supporting, Socialist?

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/15/09 - 01:33 pm

crickets chirping

crickets chirping

whogivesarip
whogivesarip 04/15/09 - 01:34 pm

i say osama sucks as

i say osama sucks as president and america looks like a joke with this last election.....i am just gonna sit back and enjoy the show the democrats have put on to run this country in the ground ......

Rose
Rose 04/15/09 - 01:40 pm

Signal me make it without the

Signal me make it without the government's help? Lets see here now. We drive cars on roads built and maintained by the government.We have libraries and schools owned and run by the government. Our food is inspected by the government. Our medicines have to be approved by the FDA.Our military is run by the government. I could go on and on. Are you telling me you don't want any of those things?

JohnGalt
JohnGalt 04/15/09 - 01:40 pm

Amen Signal! National

Amen Signal! National security should be the only serious priority of the federal govt. It's a big enough problem to take up all of its time. Everything else should be left to the states. The state govts have become meek and begging for handouts from the federal govt. I'm proud of people like Texas Gov Rick Perry who are standing up for states rights.

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/15/09 - 01:42 pm

Rose: This is what he said:"I

Rose: This is what he said:"I want government out of my life ENTIRELY with the exception of the regulation of interstate commerce and national defense."

JohnGalt
JohnGalt 04/15/09 - 01:46 pm

Rose. FEDERAL govt is the

Rose. FEDERAL govt is the issue. No one is saying we don't want action from state and local govts. I want the federal govt out of the business of running schools. States can make those decisions better. Outside of Interstates and US highways, state govts can handle the roads. Military, all feds. The FDA is a joke. If it did its job properly, we wouldn't have all these drug lawsuits and food recalls. I wouldn't even object to the same level of taxation if more of my dollars went to the state and less to the feds. Local politicians are more likely to listen to concerns than national ones.

Rose
Rose 04/15/09 - 01:52 pm

John states get federal

John states get federal money. did you know that?

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/15/09 - 01:59 pm

Rose, where do you think the

Rose, where do you think the federal money comes from?

JohnGalt
JohnGalt 04/15/09 - 02:05 pm

Federal money is just that

Federal money is just that which is taxed from individuals of various states. They tax members of states, hand it out to states (not in proportion) and then the states are forced to behave according to the feds wishes. We are seeing this now with the bank bailouts. So, yes Rose, I knew that.

KSL
KSL 04/15/09 - 02:08 pm

Not to mention the unfunded

Not to mention the unfunded mandates handed down by the feds.

Signal Always
Signal Always 04/15/09 - 02:12 pm

I'm surprised someone had to

I'm surprised someone had to actually explain that to Rose. Just think.....she votes. Scary, ain't it?

toldya
toldya 04/15/09 - 02:20 pm

I agree that the States

I agree that the States should have more control than they do- the only problem is I live in SC and have a shi**y governor who doesn't care about his consitiuents. He reviewed the damage from the tornado the other day and determined that there wasn't enough damage to give any money from State or the Fed to help out. He determined. Sick to death of him, I would just as soon vote for Curly, Larry or Moe in the next election, which BTW can't come soon enough.

Signal Always
Signal Always 04/15/09 - 02:34 pm

At what point in time did it

At what point in time did it become South Carolina's responsibility, I.e., the South Carolina taxpayer, to replace your home or your shed if it's damaged by a tornado? Hey, if my car breaks down, will you pay for it? I'm trying to see how well this "no responsibility" thing works.

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/15/09 - 02:39 pm

HYPOCRITES 08 posted at 11:11

HYPOCRITES 08 posted at 11:11 AM today, "No one can be blamed for everything that happens while they are in office." I never thought I'd hear such truth come from Hypocrites 08. Thanks, Hypo...I hope all your buddies who want to blame Bush for everything that happened during his tenure from 9/11 to global warming are listening. For once, a liberal actually spoke the truth! Thanks again, Hypocrites!

toldya
toldya 04/15/09 - 02:59 pm

Signal: the gov't has money

Signal: the gov't has money and ALWAYS has had money for disaster relief- this is not an OBama think- sorry to disappoint you. But Sanford is a butthole. Just like the LA governor- should have requested national guardsmen, red cross and any extra military personnel the second he even THOUGHT they were going to get hit. That governor knew the condition of the levees and should have taken action long before Katrina hit. What about all the downed trees, powerlines, firestation and truck? Its not about the people who are asking for help, its about doing whats right, why the hell do we pay taxes if we are unable to tap into the system when a disaster strikes?

toldya
toldya 04/15/09 - 03:01 pm

Signal: do you get what I am

Signal: do you get what I am saying- the people -at least I hope- most of them have insurance for this kind of thing- what about the public property, property that house civil servants? Its not my fault sanford is repub or if he were dem- that is not the point- they are elected to serve the State and ALL who are in it.

Signal Always
Signal Always 04/15/09 - 03:04 pm

Ok, one more time, where does

Ok, one more time, where does the federal money come from, toldya? BTW, that, "it's about doing what's right". Ok, what's right and who's definition are we using here? If your house gets damaged, it DAMN sure isn't my responsibility to repair it. If you don't have insurance, go ask for donations or gets a hammer and some nails and fix it yourself. Not one dime of mine should be confiscated to rectify a problem you were too irresponsible to be prepared for. Here's a newsflash for you, these tornado things? I predict you'll see more in the next 100 years.

Signal Always
Signal Always 04/15/09 - 03:06 pm

They're not supposed to

They're not supposed to confiscate one person's earnings and give it to another, toldya. That is NOT the government our founders intended.

Meth use on rise in Richmond County

Production of meth, a highly addictive drug made from household cold medicine, batteries, drain cleaner, brake fluid and other harmful chemicals, increased in recent years when the shake-and-bake ...